The recording of McCartney's Live And Let Die

mtmmtm United Kingdom
in Music Posts: 14,956
Very interesting podcast telling the story of the recording of the song and score on its 50th anniversary:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/015-paul-mccartney-and-wings-live-and-let-die/id1429089178?i=1000615660664

Comments

Great podcast! Very insightful.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Thank you for posting this, it truly is interesting. I thought at first that I needn't botther to click the link since I did not expect having access to it, not being the owner of any Apple products except a fifteen-year old iPod in my car and not having subscribed to any streaming service. But today I did try and it worked fine in my browser.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think the stuff debunking the hoary old Saltzman "Who do you think we should get to sing the song?" story was nice to hear: I think his reputation has had a bit of a battering over that one!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Thanks for posting @mtm.

For those interested, the "clarification" comes from a recent book called "The McCartney Legacy: Volume 1" which covers the first four years of his post-Beatles career. And yes, at least two additional volumes are planned. Given that Kozinn's work often appears in The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, his research is usually spot-on.

mccartney-legacy-audio-cd.jpeg
    As a child of the sixties, Bond and The Beatles (McCartney) coming together was pretty cool. Both were major influences. I get that subsequent generations tire of hearing about the sixties, but it was a very interesting decade. It began one way and ended quite another. Although released in 1973, LALD feels like it belongs more to the 60s than the 70s. Much of the 70s was a soft rock period that featured songs like Brandy and The Pina Colada song. Much too syrupy for my liking. But I did and still like disco.

For me, LALD, AVTAK and CR are the best rock style Bond title songs.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Much of the 70s was a soft rock period that featured songs like Brandy and The Pina Colada song. Much too syrupy for my liking. But I did and still like disco.

You mean "Mandy", not "Brandy"? Other than that, I think I really liked the Seventies (I was born in 1956), not to mention the Sixties although I even discovered those mostly in the early Seventies. I lost interest in popular music at the end of the Seventies, missed most of the Eighties, tried some of the Nineties (and hated most), then rediscovered the good parts of the Eighties (like becoming a belated, but rabid fan of Sting and The Police among others).

Later (and even today) reverting to the Nineties, I still don't know what people find about Nirvana and Oasis. Never listened a second time to their CDs I bought with an open mind to find out about that and prove myself wrong about my previous dislike. And I still "hate" (not really, just don't care for) Hip-Hop and Rap (the latter leading to immediately turning off the source...not that I usually listen to radio of any kind in the first place).

PS: My most formative 11 months, regarding music, and for purely nostalgic reasons, are those between August 1974 and July 1975 - my exchange year in the U.S. and which I have kept in mind for that reason. Nothing I remember from then (on AM radio!) can really do wrong for me. I have most of it on CD or on my hard drives and USB sticks in my car - along with 5,000 other titles there, but still.

And I don't know "The Pina Colada Song", by the way.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 13,022
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Much of the 70s was a soft rock period that featured songs like Brandy and The Pina Colada song. Much too syrupy for my liking. But I did and still like disco.

You mean "Mandy", not "Brandy"? Other than that, I think I really liked the Seventies (I was born in 1956), not to mention the Sixties although I even discovered those mostly in the early Seventies. I lost interest in popular music at the end of the Seventies, missed most of the Eighties, tried some of the Nineties (and hated most), then rediscovered the good parts of the Eighties (like becoming a belated, but rabid fan of Sting and The Police among others).

Later (and even today) reverting to the Nineties, I still don't know what people find about Nirvana and Oasis. Never listened a second time to their CDs I bought with an open mind to find out about that and prove myself wrong about my previous dislike. And I still "hate" (not really, just don't care for) Hip-Hop and Rap (the latter leading to immediately turning off the source...not that I usually listen to radio of any kind in the first place).

PS: My most formative 11 months, regarding music, and for purely nostalgic reasons, are those between August 1974 and July 1975 - my exchange year in the U.S. and which I have kept in mind for that reason. Nothing I remember from then (on AM radio!) can really do wrong for me. I have most of it on CD or on my hard drives and USB sticks in my car - along with 5,000 other titles there, but still.

And I don't know "The Pina Colada Song", by the way.

That's the Looking Glass' "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)". Vice "Mandy" by Barry Manilow.

On that last one, once heard it's hard to impossible to unhear it.

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=w5_EIikdFr8&feature=share

Yes, "Brandy, you're a fine girl....." Really don't like that song along with dozens upon dozens of songs that all sound the same. My post sixties Renaissance was the 80s. Great stuff during that decade. A lot that I still listen to. I have a pretty eclectic song set.
    Nineties onward really don't do much for me. There's the occasional song I like and will listen to, but as far as decades go, the last good one for me was the 80s.

Not to lose sight of Bond, my favorite Craig era song is CR, followed by NTTD, polar opposites. Then SF, then the other two.

YKMN is such a hard driving song with some of the best lyrics for a Bond song. I would love for someone to do a mix of LALD, AVTAK, and CR. Could be interesting.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 3,564
    How can anyone that was alive in 1980 have not heard "The Pina Colada Song"? (Yes, I know that's not the actual title.Too bad; it's the title everyone knows it by.) And hey, I kinda LIKE "Brandy"... but then, I try to stay open to all sorts of music. Even punk, even disco. I'll have to work some on rap I suppose...

And oh yeah, great podcast, @mtm -- thanks for posting it!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2023 Posts: 14,956
    With that username I certainly would have hoped that you enjoyed it :D

Is everyone aware that a new version of the song was released for the anniversary: in spatial audio?

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/live-and-let-die/1689817358?i=1689817361
    How can anyone that was alive in 1980 have not heard "The Pina Colada Song"? (Yes, I know that's not the actual title.Too bad; it's the title everyone knows it by.) And hey, I kinda LIKE "Brandy"... but then, I try to stay open to all sorts of music. Even punk, even disco. I'll have to work some on rap I suppose...

And oh yeah, great podcast, @mtm -- thanks for posting it!

Escape? Who knew that was title? Not me.

I think it's fairly common to not like a category or style of music and yet have exceptions. Not a fan of country, but there are some songs that I really like. The same goes for hip hop and rap. Bottom line, a good song is a good song (if one likes it.)

edited June 2023 Posts: 8,691
    That's the Looking Glass' "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)". Vice "Mandy" by Barry Manilow.

On that last one, once heard it's hard to impossible to unhear it.
    So you wouldn't want to have a look at Moneypenny's Barry Manilow collection? But yes, you're totally right. This is one of the songs from my exchange year that was endlessly repeated on the car radio, and I'm still waiting for it to come back out of my ears.
    How can anyone that was alive in 1980 have not heard "The Pina Colada Song"? (Yes, I know that's not the actual title.Too bad; it's the title everyone knows it by.)
    Simple - I stopped listening to radio because I was fed up not just with most of the current music, but especially constantly blabbering hosts and moronic commercials. Never picked up the habit again but keep playing the music I own and like.

As for "Escape", I checked it on YouTube and am rather sure I heard it before in spite of the aforesaid. It just left no impression on me. It also sounds veeery similar to the 1958 rock'n'roll song "Percolator"*, sung by Randy Randolph, albeit with a different rhythm.

*For the Germans among us, this is better known as "Ich will keine Schokolade" by Trude Herr (1960)
  • j_w_pepper wrote: »
    So you wouldn't want to have a look at Moneypenny's Barry Manilow collection?

Well actually, YES... I would happily spend an evening with Miss Moneypenny and her Barry Manilow collection. We could even expand a bit and include Looking Glass' "Brandy"...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So one thing I'm a bit unclear on: the main orchestral melody of the LALD song, the bit that McCartney doesn't sing- was that written by McCartney or George Martin?