Shooting in Belgium - 4 deaths, 75 wounded

DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
edited December 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 15,690
I think we do have Belgium members here... I am a bit worried.. :(

Shooting happened in a market in the city of Liege. Apparently the shooter used grenades.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16161746

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Again?! It sometimes seems to me that people just want to shoot each other all the time. There's always some maniac out there waiting in the wings.

I hope everything there is OK and the panic is over now. Four dead is still four too many mind. My thoughts go out to their families and everyone in Belgium.
    its not good, this person used three grenades, a rifle and a pistol! You have to ask regardless of the guns as i know different countries have varying views on it? But seriously? How on earth can a member of the pblic purchase grenades?

This guy is also well known to the police which makes it worse? I too hope that no one on here is affected but sadly lives have been lost and my condolences go out to the friends and families affected!
    What a terrible way to end 2011. I understand fear and frustration, and how one wants to take out anger on others, but you are no longer human when you lack the compassion towards your fellow man and the control of your emotions. What this man did is disgusting.

"Terrorism was not a cause." I hate the slant modern media gives terrorism, as a term regarding Muslim acts of terrorism alone. This man was a terrorist, and him and his accomplices should be marked as so. You can not say his actions do not terrorize the public.

Its simply terrifying how easy it is to misjudge someone. I should not have to fear my life every time I exit my favorite coffee shop. Its prevalent that this man should not have had access to these weapons, and undoubtedly blame will be put on law enforcement for not foreseeing this tragedy. There are warning signs, and I hope if I ever lose my sanity, someone will be able to stop me, just as I hope I'd be able to stop someone I know.

My thoughts go out to those hurt, and their families.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Guys, I'm Belgian and firstly, thank you for the kind words.

Yet another example of senseless violence: the innocent bleed and no-one knows why. Extreme cases obviously cannot define the condition of our modern society but they do exemplify how easy it is for one man to upset an entire country and beyond.

This should not have happened. My feelings hover between sad and angry. I feel for the victims, I crave severe punishment for the guilty. But overall, I feel weak. Is there nothing we can do to stop this?

My thoughts are with the families of the victims.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    If I were closer to this, my emotions too would be raw like yours, Darthy, I'm sure. What you've said reminds me exactly how I felt the day of the London bombings in 2005 (7/7). One word sums the whole thing up: horrendous.

What I will add, though, is that it truly is very concerning that such atrocities, especially those including guns, seem to on the rise in the West - and specifically outside the US. Is it because of the increasing availability of guns? Or is it some deeper cancer in modern Western society and culture that's to blame? We need to find the answer and address it, but I fear we won't...
    By now it is 6 deaths (a 18 month old baby, a 15 year old, a seventeen year old, a 20 year old and a pensioner. And the crazy basterd himself).

There is no way to stop a crazy person. Sadly enough it will happen again and again and there is no way to predict or stop a lonesome lunatic hellbent on destruction. It seems it has no religious motivation, just one guy afraid of returning to jail and in a panic he started a massacre and then killend himself. WHy would anybody come up with such an idea. Anybody with a normal mind cannot come up with a reason.

It happened only 24 miles away from my hometown but the hospital in our town in the Netherlands has taken on casualties as well. We are flabbergasted as well at another senseless action.

My best wishes go out to the families of those casualties in these last days of 2011.
  • Very very sad indeed....this is such a tragedy with Christmas coming up soon. I cant believe someone would do something like to other humans. This is quite similar to the Norway shooting a few months back. I hope the police finds out the motive behind this if this was a targeted or ramdom attack?