What's your distribution of Bond ratings?

M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
in Bond Movies Posts: 538
I rated each official Bond film from 1 to 10, for me the mode is 7, and the average is 6.8. Which I think fairly represents my opinion of the franchise as a whole. My distribution looks like this

TNiUOAJ.png

Comments

• DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    Your mean and mode are very similar. For me the mean average is 6.76 and the mode is 8.

So I have a near identical mean to yours but a higher mode. Not too sure on the maths of this or how to analyse it. Overall I rate the franchise similarly to you but I’ve probably got more data points at the extremes
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    No Bond film is less than a 5 for me.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    No Bond is less than a 6 for me. I enjoy them all, even DAD, DAF, MR and TWINE. My most often rating would probably be 8. I absolutely love the Bond series. :D
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    I rated four of them less than 5. I might have been quite harsh on 3 of those. And quite generous on 1 of them …
  • Hah, I am a total nerd for this stuff!

Low: 6 (DAD)
    High: 10 (FRWL, OHMSS, CR)
    Mean: 8.1
    Median: 8
    Mode: 7
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,006
    Parameters should be set to make a more homogenous group of rankings… (ie. your favorite Bond is a 10 and your least favorite is a 1. Rank the rest accordingly) etc
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited December 2021 Posts: 538
    Your mean and mode are very similar.

Yeah. I didn't expect those would be that close.

That's likely because my distribution is mostly a bell curve, which I didn't intentionally set out to make it like that, but it's convenient that it did turn into a bell curve.

I think it means that I'm judging them fairly. Neither overly harsh to the franchise, nor extremely biased. And when comparing films, there will be the better, the average and the worse ones, so it works out.

Also, with regard to not rating any Bond films below a 5 or a 6, I'd be careful with grade inflation.

The purpose of a 10-scale is to use the whole scale. Of course, definitions are subjective but it makes sense that 5-6 is average, 7 is good, 8 is great, 9 is superb and 10 is nearly perfect or revolutionary.

At the end of the day, of thousands of films, only a small percentage of films will be 9's and 10's.

If someone is giving a film an 8.5 and then listing a giant laundry list of flaws, then it's probably grade inflation.
    Parameters should be set to make a more homogenous group of rankings… (ie. your favorite Bond is a 10 and your least favorite is a 1. Rank the rest accordingly) etc

This would be overly forced. A 10 should be a 10 because it's an amazing film that truly earned it; not just because there's nothing better in the series. And a 1/10 should be truly awful with little to no redeeming qualities.

With my ratings, I'm not just ranking them in comparison to other Bond films but compared to other movies in general.

Mod edit: triple post combined to one. Please use the EDIT button next time.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,526
    M16_Cart wrote: »

This would be overly forced. A 10 should be a 10 because it's an amazing film that truly earned it; not just because there's nothing better in the series. And a 1/10 should be truly awful with little to no redeeming qualities.

With my ratings, I'm not just ranking them in comparison to other Bond films but compared to other movies in general.

For the purposes of this thread, I'd agree with @Junglist_1985 personally. In the context of the thread it creates more interesting information I think to just compare the Bond films against each other than to the entirety of cinema. Can't see how that would be "forced" at all.

Also watch the triple posting. Use the edit button!