Do all of the villains just let Bond live?

M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
in Bond Movies Posts: 538
It's a trope of the villain putting Bond into some torture or trap instead of just trying to kill him. This has been well established since the beginning of the series.

Are there any villains in the series that are actually smart and genuinely try their best to kill Bond ASAP? The closest I can think of is Le Chiffre. Obviously he's limited in what he can do to kill Bond since they're both at a public event, but he does poison him. Are there any others?

In Goldfinger, the reason Bond is allowed to live captive is so that MI6 believes he's on the case and 008 isn't sent out. Maybe this is understood in other films.

The problem that I notice is that many Bond films are inconsistent in this regard. In one scene, a villain will genuinely try to shoot and kill Bond quickly, and then in the next scene, they'll just capture Bond and not try to kill him. So which is it?

Comments

• DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    It was a truly shocking moment in NTTD when Safin actually manages to shoot Bond .
    That’s the moment that really lets you know you’re watching something different…
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 2,043
    Maybe Red Grant. One could make the argument that one of the reasons the train fight in FRWL feels so intense is because of what had proceeded it. Grant told Bond SPECTRE’s entire plan revolving the Lektor out of arrogance (a cliched troupe in later Bond films but brilliant here), meaning Bond is well aware of what actually is happening, he outwits Grants, which becomes this intense fight for survival as both men are desperate to kill one another to achieve their objectives, I’m sure I could think of more, but that one immediately springs to mind.