Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Tom doesn't feel old though. Tom never feels old.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more, I'm afraid. Solomon Lane is the best villain in all the Mi franchise. Written through is actions and a very apt mythological construction which relies on absence and cruelty. Sean Harris made it whole, of course. A brilliant character.

Agreed. 100%.

Second only to Hoffman's villain, for me.

Oh, yes. Can you imagine those two working together? I'd be afraid. Very afraid :)

Quite the clash of egos it would be!

I often watch this opening if I'm writing scenes with hints of villainy. Hoffman does a lot here without doing very much at all. He interrogates Ethan with his eyes. Also, just a great introduction scene in general.

What a cool scene. It's both frustrating and compelling to watch Ethan stubbornly resisting to choose between "the girl or the mission". And how he repeatedly forces himself to calm down when trying to persuade Davian of not hurting his wife, hoping he'll show a hint of mercy, while Davian is in a completely different state of mind. It really feels like when sometimes one talks to people who are absolutely beyond any persuasion in their ideas, who are as immovable as a rock. Fine acting by Seymour Hoffman and Cruise.
    This is why I still like this film and have from my first viewing and am surprised it's not better liked in the fan community. Abrahams was a good choice to direct and this personal angle works along with the action, although the traitor in the department thing was still tired. I can understand some may find it underwhelming when the 3 that followed it were on such a grand scale, but MI:III really works on its own terms

MI2 I'll gladly forget. What a horribly disappointing film with few if any redeeming qualities.

The only way that film works is watching it on an MST3000 level and laughing at all the goofiness from the slo-mo to the Scooby Doo facemask frequency that would make a great drinking game. You could also do a drinking game with how many times Ambrose sneers, says "Hunt" in a contemptible way or says he's better than Hunt.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    BT3366 wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more, I'm afraid. Solomon Lane is the best villain in all the Mi franchise. Written through is actions and a very apt mythological construction which relies on absence and cruelty. Sean Harris made it whole, of course. A brilliant character.

Agreed. 100%.

Second only to Hoffman's villain, for me.

Oh, yes. Can you imagine those two working together? I'd be afraid. Very afraid :)

Quite the clash of egos it would be!

I often watch this opening if I'm writing scenes with hints of villainy. Hoffman does a lot here without doing very much at all. He interrogates Ethan with his eyes. Also, just a great introduction scene in general.

What a cool scene. It's both frustrating and compelling to watch Ethan stubbornly resisting to choose between "the girl or the mission". And how he repeatedly forces himself to calm down when trying to persuade Davian of not hurting his wife, hoping he'll show a hint of mercy, while Davian is in a completely different state of mind. It really feels like when sometimes one talks to people who are absolutely beyond any persuasion in their ideas, who are as immovable as a rock. Fine acting by Seymour Hoffman and Cruise.
    This is why I still like this film and have from my first viewing and am surprised it's not better liked in the fan community. Abrahams was a good choice to direct and this personal angle works along with the action, although the traitor in the department thing was still tired. I can understand some may find it underwhelming when the 3 that followed it were on such a grand scale, but MI:III really works on its own terms

MI2 I'll gladly forget. What a horribly disappointing film with few if any redeeming qualities.

The only way that film works is watching it on an MST3000 level and laughing at all the goofiness from the slo-mo to the Scooby Doo facemask frequency that would make a great drinking game. You could also do a drinking game with how many times Ambrose sneers, says "Hunt" in a contemptible way or says he's better than Hunt.

I am a huge fan of MI:3; everything in it works for me. It’s the film that made Ethan a three dimensional character rather than a cookie cutter super spy. The relationship between him and his wife is very sincere and creates a real sense of danger, with real consequences, when her life is hanging in the balance.

MI:3 gave the series an emotional backbone that culminated in the finale of Fallout. It was handled brilliantly; they wisely did not have Ethan become mired in a protracted domestic storyline but kept it as something, while distant, still a vital part of of his story.

At this point, I believe they will completely move on.
    True with MI3 to MI6 they created a sequence of personal situations that showed that Ethan is more than a robotic agent. I bet they'll steer clear of any step-brother baddie criminal organisations, they have proved already that they can do personal with a heart that does not make anything ridiculous.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Lets hope so?!!! So thankful NTTD wrapped before all this lockdown business.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I really recommend the 'Light The Fuse' podcast by the way: they speak to lots of very interesting people who have worked on M:I movies, and also discuss other things they've worked on too. This week it's part one of an interview with Joe Kraemer, the composer of Rogue Nation's score (one of the better M:I scores if you ask me) and he's got lots of interesting nuggets about how he came to work on it, various versions the movie went through etc. Apparently at one point Lane was trying to seduce Hunt to join the Syndicate.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    In a non-coronavirus world, Top Gun: Maverick would have been released today. Now we still have half a year to go before seeing Tom Cruise back in action again.
    In a non-coronavirus world, Top Gun: Maverick would have been released today. Now we still have half a year to go before seeing Tom Cruise back in action again.

I'm bummed about it. It was one of the few films I will venture into the cinema for, or at least would have.
    Tom Cruise celebrates his 58th birthday today.

5b7ebf372be4abc6518b521b.jpg
    last-samurai.jpg
    collateral-tom-cruise-still.jpg
    maxresdefault-2.jpg
    edge-of-tomorrow-tom-cruise2.jpg
    american-made-review.jpg
    tom-cruise-mission-impossible.jpg

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Great Actor....One of the few remaining Action stars from the days of Tony Scott and John Woo, still making Blockbusters today....A very Happy Birthday to Him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I suspect he won't be celebrating as he decided to stop ageing many years ago! :)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Tom Cruise celebrates his 58th birthday today.

5b7ebf372be4abc6518b521b.jpg
    last-samurai.jpg
    collateral-tom-cruise-still.jpg
    maxresdefault-2.jpg
    edge-of-tomorrow-tom-cruise2.jpg
    american-made-review.jpg
    tom-cruise-mission-impossible.jpg

No Tropic Thunder in this line-up? A shame.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690

No Tropic Thunder in this line-up? A shame.

3653b19fc1527feebda3be90e33e9327.gif
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He is a fascinating character though. I'd love to know what he's like, what goes on in there.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh I just realised: this will officially make him older in MI7 than Roger was in AVTAK! :)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »
    Oh I just realised: this will officially make him older in MI7 than Roger was in AVTAK! :)

Yeah, true....Difference is, he hardly looks the age and he's still bent on doing his own stunts :)
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,280
    The Norwegian government have been in contact with the staff of Tom Cruise. Cruise hopes to start shooting Mission Impossible 7 in Western Norway in September:

https://www.vg.no/rampelys/film/i/4qygbV/bt-tom-cruise-vil-moete-erna-solberg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They filmed a bit of the last one in Norway too didn't they?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2020 Posts: 45,489
    Didn t see your post above, @Torgeirtrap . I was busy digging out the link.

Yep. This bit:

MI6-Tom-Cruise.jpg

Edit: Didn t see your post above, @Torgeirtrap . I was busy digging out the link.

@Thunderfinger Only stumbled on the article right now. I knew they had planned on filming in Norway (again), but didn't know they had planned on filming here this year.

Yep. This bit:

MI6-Tom-Cruise.jpg

Are you sure that is in Norway? Looks like an Indian fjord to me.

Yep. This bit:

MI6-Tom-Cruise.jpg

Oh, those Indian fjords. So similar to the ones we have here. :))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ha! Crazy that that's the first bit they shot after he'd broken his ankle.

Trying to resist the temptation to watch Fallout again... :)

Didn't know that!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Yep. This bit:

MI6-Tom-Cruise.jpg

Yes, it was shot in Norway, although it's not easy to shoot in kashmir. Still, Indian Fjord are a bit like this.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTo46tdHcSpYediNs2gAf2eRy0F4aoGrsp1-w&usqp=CAU

Yep. This bit:

MI6-Tom-Cruise.jpg

Yes, it was shot in Norway, although it's not easy to shoot in kashmir. Still, Indian Fjord are a bit like this.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTo46tdHcSpYediNs2gAf2eRy0F4aoGrsp1-w&usqp=CAU

Also beautiful.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 14,951

Didn't know that!

Yeah apparently. Notice that Ethan is limping apparently because he was injured in the helicopter crash, but actually I believe it was to help explain Cruise naturally not being able to put his full weight on his not-quite-fixed ankle!
    And so then, of course he decides he should dangle off a 1000ft drop! :D He is an impressive guy...

I remember seeing a bit of mobile phone footage of them shooting the last scene next to the river in London where Lane gets handed over to the CIA, and in the version they were shooting (which didn't make the film) Hunt is walking along with Vanessa Kirby's character talking, and when the director yells cut and they all go back to their start positions to do another take, you can see Cruise suddenly starts limping really heavily: almost hopping. So in the scene he was actually acting that he can walk okay!!! How does someone do that?!

Didn't know that!

Yeah apparently. Notice that Ethan is limping apparently because he was injured in the helicopter crash, but actually I believe it was to help explain Cruise naturally not being able to put his full weight on his not-quite-fixed ankle!
    And so then, of course he decides he should dangle off a 1000ft drop! :D He is an impressive guy...

I remember seeing a bit of mobile phone footage of them shooting the last scene next to the river in London where Lane gets handed over to the CIA, and in the version they were shooting (which didn't make the film) Hunt is walking along with Vanessa Kirby's character talking, and when the director yells cut and they all go back to their start positions to do another take, you can see Cruise suddenly starts limping really heavily: almost hopping. So in the scene he was actually acting that he can walk okay!!! How does someone do that?!

Thanks for the info!

He's a crazy guy, Cruise. Luckily, his dedication provides us with entertainment! I need to watch Fallout again, because I didn't think of his injury at all when watching the film.