Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Cruise has said on several occasions that he specifically said, "I want fat hands and I want to dance" when it came to Les Grossman. He also ad libbed much of what you see on screen, and it's one of the funniest supporting performances I've ever seen.

Yeah, "fat hands" suggests a pretty good comic mind. It's certainly not something you see often!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2022 Posts: 5,838
    I hope they don't cop out with Pom Klementieff's femme fatale and make her a anti-hero who eventually ends up helping Hunt. They've already got Ilsa Faust, Kirby's White Widow and now Hayley Atwell's Grace (who I feel could go down the villain route if they wanted a little twist thrown in) for that.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I hope they don't cop out with Pom Klementieff's femme fatale and make her a anti-hero who eventually ends up helping Hunt. They've already got Ilsa Faust, Kirby's White Widow and now Hayley Atwell's Grace (who I feel could go down the villain route if they wanted a little twist thrown in) for that.

Hey, what can ya say, the ladies loves them some Ethan Hunt ! The guy can hold onto a mountain with one hand and flip himself upside down onto the top of the cliff. Perhaps more notably for some of the ladies, he can hold his breath a very, very long time...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 40,374
    Holt McCallany has joined Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part Two as Secretary of Defense Bernstein:

https://deadline.com/2022/07/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-two-adds-mindhunter-star-holt-mccallany-1235080004/
    Nick Offerman and Janet McTeer have also joined Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part Two:

https://collider.com/mission-impossible-8-cast-nick-offerman-janet-mcteer/
    Nick Offerman...seems rather like the Bond producers casting Joe Don Baker, and more than once, for two different roles - friend and foe, a la Charles Gray, or Robbie Coltrane, who also appeared more than once and was friend and foe in one person.
    Nick's a great dramatic actor so I'm eager to see the gravitas he brings to his role. I loved his short appearance early on in Deadwood.
    Aye, and Baker and Gray were known for dramatic roles, too. I cannot help but not the semi-comic possibilities.
    Gray could deadpan SO well. "Let's do the timedance, agaaaainnnn !"
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Since62
    You can avoid double-posting by editing the previous post. Just find the little wheel in the upper right corner of the window. (Move your cursor over there.) Thank you!
    Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise have three new projects in the works after Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning - Part 2 wraps up - an all new action franchise, a musical, and a return to Les Grossman:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/tom-cruise-christopher-mcquarrie-new-musical-and-action-thriller-les-grossman-speed-flying-mission-impossible-8-top-gun-maverick-1235087363/
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 440
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Christopher McQuarrie and Tom Cruise have three new projects in the works after Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning - Part 2 wraps up - an all new action franchise, a musical, and a return to Les Grossman:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/tom-cruise-christopher-mcquarrie-new-musical-and-action-thriller-les-grossman-speed-flying-mission-impossible-8-top-gun-maverick-1235087363/

Nice to see some progress on the Les Grossman movie but I have to imagine it'll be taking a backseat to the other two projects.

Not that I want it to, but unlike an action franchise or a musical, age and stamina is not a huge factor in playing the character since it would mostly be him under pounds of makeup sitting and talking.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Nick Offerman and Janet McTeer have also joined Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part Two:

https://collider.com/mission-impossible-8-cast-nick-offerman-janet-mcteer/

These were announced on the 200th episode of the Light The Fuse podcast which is well worth a listen. They spoke on a long rambling zoom call to McQuarrie, editor Eddie Hamilton, Offerman, Mark Gatiss and many others including a certain Mr Cruise!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I'm not sure either of them come out of it that well, but I tend to think she seems like the bigger idiot.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Oof, that was awkward. He could have let it go, rather than go back for round 2, but as the interviewer, she could have kept it professional.

I have never actually seen the original tv series, I have only seen the 1988 series (obvious budget constraints aside, I thought it was ok).
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,518
    I don't know... fair enough if she didn't know that M:I was a TV show before it was a film series, I didn't either until recently, but maybe she should have because of her work? No idea. Landau definitely came across as a complete asshole though. IMO.

And the way he grabbed her hand/the mic towards the end... fuck that old man. The entitlement, that everyone simply must know your entire body of work. I get that she was there for M:I, but she was there for the first Cruise film, not some ancient TV show.

I don't really see how she didn't keep it professional; I'll watch it again.

EDIT: Yeah, I don't really see how she wasn't keeping it professional; she stepped in it, and tried to just keep the interview going with banter, which seems like her job. She had the rude gesture at the end, but it wasn't towards Landau. But he comes back for a second round, for some reason, after clearly not being happy to talk to her, grabs the mic and says "you should really... read about it, before... talking to someone".
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think an entertainment reporter probably should at the very least read the press release for the event she's attending :D
    Yes, that does seem like it'd be important. I didn't realize she'd have information that would have helped here so readily available.

I still say it doesn't excuse Landau's behaviour.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Yes, that does seem like it'd be important. I didn't realize she'd have information that would have helped here so readily available.

Well, bear in mind I don't know that for sure but I think it's a fair bet, and I do remember MI coming out and it wasn't exactly a secret that it was based on a TV show, one which had only ended 23 years prior. For contrast this Mission: Impossible movie came out 26 years ago - and I bet most entertainment correspondents today have heard of that! :)
    Mission Impossible was always part of pop culture too, all through the 70s and 80s. The theme tune for one thing, but also just the idea of something being a 'mission impossible' was always just a phrase when I was growing up, even before the movies.

He was acting like a tit certainly, but I think he was a little galled by her lack of professionalism.
    mtm wrote: »

Well, bear in mind I don't know that for sure but I think it's a fair bet, and I do remember MI coming out and it wasn't exactly a secret that it was based on a TV show, one which had only ended 23 years prior. For contrast this Mission: Impossible movie came out 26 years ago - and I bet most entertainment correspondents today have heard of that! :)

He was acting like a tit certainly, but I think he was a little galled by her lack of professionalism.

You say only 23 years prior, but that's an enormous amount of time, especially in the entertainment industry. Fair point about the original film being 26 years old, but very few pieces of media have the long-lasting effect of the first M:I film, I'd argue (it certainly had a bigger effect than the TV show of the same name I think).

I still feel a little strange that it seems like we're holding this young interviewer, likely near the beginning of her career, to a much higher standard than this esteemed, experienced actor, who it's probably fair to assume has been around his fair share of interviews, both good and bad.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Landau just seems to be having a “kids these days” moment. It wouldn’t surprise me if he already knew about the Jim Phelps plot twist and then meeting a journalist that never heard of the original show made him even more testy.

As for her not knowing about the show, she was 23 at the time. I guess it would be like a 23 year old today not knowing about a hit TV show from the 90s. And yet MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE was one of many films trying to capitalize on 60s/70s nostalgia, just like how today’s studios are capitalizing on 80s/90s nostalgia. She still should have done her research. But it’s MTV, so she probably was just expected to get as many inane celebrity interviews that day.

I guess the big difference is that if the film were made today, it would play more like a legacy sequel with Jim Phelps being a heroic mentor to Ethan Hunt. Of course, the film we got in 1996 was the complete opposite. If twitter existed in the 90s, I’m sure Boomer fans would have made a big stink about it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well I was younger at the time than she was in that clip, and I'd seen and heard about Mission Impossible for years. It just got mentioned all the time, the theme was used in adverts and parodies for years- it had a very large cultural impact indeed. To be in that world and to not be aware of it all seems pretty bizarre to me.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    mtm wrote: »
    Well I was younger at the time than she was in that clip, and I'd seen and heard about Mission Impossible for years. It just got mentioned all the time, the theme was used in adverts and parodies for years- it had a very large cultural impact indeed. To be in that world and to not be aware of it all seems pretty bizarre to me.

I agree. Television stations had that show along with many others on constant rotation so I was able to catch it here and there. That’s why we got film remakes like THE ADDAMS FAMILY, THE BRADY BUNCH, THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, etc. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE was just doing what haters accuse THE LAST JEDI of doing.

By the time the first sequel came out in 2000, it couldn’t have felt further from what the original show was.
    Fair enough.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I didn't know about the original series until around 2008-ish. :D
  • I don’t know how anyone can blame Martin Landau in that interview. Of course he’s pissed. Because she’s acting like a complete jackass. It’s not even that she doesn’t know about the TV show. She’s using profanity and basically blowing him off and just being a real smart mouth!! Japanese history? What was that all about? And the disgusting gesture she does at the end with the microphone! Seriously??? And he’s the bad guy here? C’mon people!!
    Can’t tell if that’s a joke post or not.

EDIT: Actually no, weren't you the guy who said you'd ship your kids away if they were having a gender identity crisis? Serious post then I guess. Unless you're playing an elaborate satirical character...

Back to the kitchen with this interviewer I guess, am I right boys!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,109
    talos7 wrote: »
    When doing MI marathons prior to the release of a new entry, I’ve tried to rewatch MI:2 and can’t get past the first 20 or 30 minutes . Next time I’ll pass on it.

It is pretty atrocious, I view MI:2 more as a comedy now it does veer towards the its so bad its good category for me. Its most definitely the DAD of the Mission Impossible series. I plan a series re watch soon.
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen it. Really enjoy the modern ones and M:I 1.