The Opening (SPOILERS)

M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
I got to the theatre a bit late because I hate previews. I missed the gun barrel sequence; I just saw the MGM logo. The first 10 minutes in, I was wondering if I was in the right movie. The opening made me uncomfortable, a bit anxious.

This is not a bad thing. Not every scene needs to be comfortable. Some of the best art involves challenging the viewers. This discomfort later soothed by seeing the other characters / locales / action sequences.

The opening felt like artistic expression. It felt like a movie made for adults. It felt like the director included this because he wanted to make the best movie he could possibly make. It didn't just feel like a boat or helicopter chase that was tacked on for no reason.

A big emphasis for me with Bond movies: Include things for a reason. Don't just force them to be there to check a box. This opening was there for a reason; it helped develop the story and characters.

Comments

• M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited October 2021 Posts: 538
    Fun fact. At first I mistakenly thought the mother was Madeline and the daughter was Madeline's daughter.

I thought the opening scene was just a premonition (a dream) of what Madeline feared would happen if she married James Bond. She'd become a target for James Bond's enemies; which has happened before.

When I heard "your father kills people", I thought they were talking about James Bond - not Mr. White.

I was more inclined to believe the masked man was part of Spectre trying to avenge someone that Bond killed, rather than an enemy of Spectre.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This was an interesting read, @M16_Cart, but we have enough threads dissecting every aspect of NTTD already. Also, please continue to share your experiences and thoughts with us, but it seems like there's nothing here to start a discussion. Please take this subject to an existing thread, thank you.
This discussion has been closed.