Bond actors ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Connery

X

Craig

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Sean Connery vs George Lazenby

@MajorDSmythe I'm shocked. If I remember correctly you weren't exactly a big fan of Lazenby or OHMSS a few years back. What made your appreciation for the Aussie Bond grow?

That's true, there was a time when I wasn't a fan of George (or the the film itself). I guess that I have learned to appreciate that while George wasn't very experienced as an actor, and it shows at times, but he had the confidence, he looked the part, and he played Bond very close to the source. And with further films, he couldhave grown in thr role, shame we never got to see that.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Nice to see someone sticking up for the other fella!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sean Connery over George Lazenby
    Roger Moore over Timothy Dalton
    Daniel Craig over Pierce Brosnan
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    #GeorgeLazenbyMatters
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

@MajorDSmythe I'm shocked. If I remember correctly you weren't exactly a big fan of Lazenby or OHMSS a few years back. What made your appreciation for the Aussie Bond grow?

That's true, there was a time when I wasn't a fan of George (or the the film itself). I guess that I have learned to appreciate that while George wasn't very experienced as an actor, and it shows at times, but he had the confidence, he looked the part, and he played Bond very close to the source. And with further films, he couldhave grown in thr role, shame we never got to see that.

Why do you feel he is better than Sean though? Especially early Sean?
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.

Agreed. Lazenby was the definitive Fleming Bond and Connery was the definitive cinematic Bond, IMO.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I’m glad someone’s standing up for George against the accepted Lion of the franchise.

You can always count me on defending George's honour.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur

For me I think it was actually Craig's debut performance in CR that helped increase my appreciation for Lazenby's work and for OHMSS. When CR was new I found myself drawn to watch and rewatch OHMSS a lot since I see them as companion pieces much like I see TLD and FRWL as companion pieces.
    Octopussy wrote: »

Agreed. Lazenby was the definitive Fleming Bond and Connery was the definitive cinematic Bond, IMO.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I’m glad someone’s standing up for George against the accepted Lion of the franchise.

You can always count me on defending George's honour.

I love OHMSS and George did a great job.

But with that very odd accent and silly walk, he isn’t Fleming’s Bond for me. The film in general is a first class adaption though.

For me I think it was actually Craig's debut performance in CR that helped increase my appreciation for Lazenby's work and for OHMSS. When CR was new I found myself drawn to watch and rewatch OHMSS a lot since I see them as companion pieces much like I see TLD and FRWL as companion pieces.

The better films in general then. 👍
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,894
    The way I see it, early Connery (which I see as DN and FRWL) Connery as at he best but he is playing Terrance Youngs Bond. And that.... I don't mean for this to sound like an attack, but Young's Bond is a glorified take of the literary Bond. While Lazenby is more like the Flemig Bond. Dalton is even closer than Lazenby, but the world around him is updated for the 80's (naturally) on saying that, we haven't had a Bond that is 100% pure undiluted Fleming. In order to have that, the world around him would also have to be pure Fleming.
    The way I see it, early Connery (which I see as DN and FRWL) Connery as at he best but he is playing Terrance Youngs Bond. And that.... I don't mean for this to sound like an attack, but Young's Bond is a glorified take of the literary Bond. While Lazenby is more like the Flemig Bond. Dalton is even closer than Lazenby, but the world around him is updated for the 80's (naturally) on saying that, we haven't had a Bond that is 100% pure undiluted Fleming. In order to have that, the world around him would also have to be pure Fleming.

I find Connery's best to be Thunderball, although Dr. No and From Russia With Love round out my 3 favourite Connery Bond films. Young definitely took the ideas that formed Fleming's Bond and sexed them up for the cinema. I'd argue that Lazenby was closer to Fleming than Dalton, IMO. However, your comment regarding the era of their respective films and therefore the "Flemingesqueness" of Dalton's performance not being as emphasised as Lazenby's is an interesting discussion.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131

Good post and agreed. But I think Connery was ‘the first rate movie Bond’ in the first 4 films.
    Connery
    Dalton
    Craig
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Connery over Lazenby
    Dalton over Moore
    X (not fond of either of the two)
    edited June 2020 Posts: 3,262

Good points. Definitely agree about Dalton and that the world around the Bond character/actor would have to be pure Fleming which definitely puts Brosnan and Craig at a disadvantage in that particular area.
    Octopussy wrote: »
    I find Connery's best to be Thunderball

Agreed. Connery's Bond was at his apex in TB.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    But I think Connery was ‘the first rate movie Bond’ in the first 4 films.

Agreed.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Connery beats Lazenby 22-3
    Dalton beats Moore 15-9
    Craig beats Brosnan 21-3

Round 3 of 5:

Sean Connery vs Daniel Craig

George Lazenby vs Roger Moore

Timothy Dalton vs Pierce Brosnan
  • infoviseinfovise Ireland
    Connery over Craig

Moore over Lazenby

Dalton over Brosnan
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Connery
    Moore
    Brosnan
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Connery
    Moore
    Dalton
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Connery
    Moore
    Dalton

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Connery (Hard)
    Moore (Hard)
    Brosnan (Less Hard)
    Sean

c3687e06737c9498b2b541981bd885f8.jpg

Rog

roger%2Boctopussy%2Bclose%2Bup.jpg

Tim

timothy%2Bdalton%2Blicence%2Bto%2Bkill%2B89%2Bcopia.jpg

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I like the pics.
    I like the pics.

They're the work of Pat Carbajal.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    A Sean, George & Tim for me, s'il-vous-plaît.
    Connery
    Moore
    Dalton
    Connery
    Lazenby
    Dalton
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Craig
    Moore
    Dalton
    Sean
    Roger
    Tim