And the Klebbie for worst/most illogical gadget used by James Bond....page 140

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    PMd you
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Thanks @RichardTheBruce and @NickTwentyTwo I will respond to the both of you!
  • LocqueLocque Escaped from a Namur prison
    Bond villains tend to be OTT characters with some grand scheme for world domination (Blofeld, Drax) or bland, forgettable gangsters who just want to make a buck (Kristatos, Dominic Greene).

Sanchez is an exception in that he is fully grounded in reality (based on Pablo Escobar) yet scary AF. I'd say he's one of the best villains in the series.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    definitely between Silva and Sanchez.

By a strand of a blond hair, I will go with Sanchez and it's for all the reasons stated above (well rounded and human; in my case I find his charm very seductive and I find him, rather than 006, to be the dark reflection of James Bond)...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Locque wrote: »
    Bond villains tend to be OTT characters with some grand scheme for world domination (Blofeld, Drax) or bland, forgettable gangsters who just want to make a buck (Kristatos, Dominic Greene).

Sanchez is an exception in that he is fully grounded in reality (based on Pablo Escobar) yet scary AF. I'd say he's one of the best villains in the series.

Escobar and Noriega, perhaps.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Not my favorite, but the moost original villian and his plan is Karl Stromberg. Elektra wil be my second choose because famale villian. Favorite is Carver.
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,050
    The Dove flaps to the stage to announce our next Bondie! The best original villain is...
    Franz Sanchez from LTK with 21 votes!

The rest of the voting shows the following:
    • Alec Trevelyan received 2 votes
    • Elliot Carver received 4 votes
    • Electra King received 1 vote
    • Silva received 2 votes
    • Karl Stromberg received 0 votes and is demanding a recount!

This next category was a technical acheivement worthy of it's own Bondie! I would like to thank @RichardTheBruce and @NickTwentyTwo for their able assist of this feathered birdbrain!

I will post later today the category and the nominees!
    edited July 2020 Posts: 5,050
    Okay with technical assistance from @RichardTheBruce We are pleased to present our next category. Over the series Bond movies have had some iconic movie posters. However for this Klebbie will look at the ones that are deserving of a kick in the shins.

I present the nominees (interestingly they are all from recent films. What does this say about how Hollywood markets movies??)

The nominees are:
    • Goldeneye...the now you can't unsee version
    • Spectre...Bond and a Skull
    • Quantum of Solace...Bond and Camille walk in the desert
    • Tommorrow Never Dies...Bond and a pretty genric poster
    • No Time to Die...Bond and the colour teal!

I am told that you can hit the spoiler section and you should be able to cut and paste the graphic of your Klebbie vote! Time for the academy to weigh in with the votes!
    a25b43870b61d14e7bb5191e5275662aa9e8f8bc.png

Warning: this is the GoldenEye Poster than "once seen cannot be un-seen".
    f6c010f5a298d3b630318f47c9bc91dc1430733d.jpg
    goldeneye-md-web.jpg

61q3QXIWbZL._AC_SL1024_.jpg[img][/img]quantum-of-solace-french-movie-poster-15x21-2008-james-bond-daniel-craig.jpg[img][/img]12[img][/img]notimetodie-teaser-poster-hq.jpg[img][/img]
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I really like the posters for GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies and Quantum of Solace.

The one for Spectre isn't great, but the clear winner here is No Time To Die.
    NTTD has one of the least creative posters I have ever seen. There's nothing happening in it, no point of interest, nothing unusual apart from the background color.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'd say they're all bland, unimaginative, boring and irrelevant. I tend to favour (among those) the one for QoS, simply because it's not just another depiction of Our Hero, but includes another person displayed just as prominently. But that doesn't help, since we're not looking for the best, but for the worst.

Just for the overall design, I think the TND poster looks worst.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    NTTD
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,266
    Of the ones picked I'd go for NTTD because it seems a pretty uninteresting photo and not even all that well photographed, but, it has that logo which it wisely puts front and centre and is the primary feature (unlike in the others in which it's Bond himself), which is perhaps the best one in the entire history of the Bond series if you ask me. It's brilliant. So as photography it's pretty poor, but as graphic design I think it's excellent.

Also though it's not entirely fair because that's only a teaser and not the main poster, unlike the other four candidates.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'd say they're all bland, unimaginative, boring and irrelevant.

How do you mean 'irrelevant', out of interest? They all seem to be pretty relevant to the films they're selling, don't they? That word just stood out to me.
    thedove wrote: »
    I present the nominees (interestingly they are all from recent films. What does this say about how Hollywood markets movies??)

To be fair, all it says is that you chose them! :D
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It's a toss up between QOS and SP for me. The poster for NTTD is a teaser poster, so is rather unfairly included. I'll go with SP, as it looks like it could've been put together in about 10 minutes.
  • NTTD is the least interesting but as others have noted it's not really fair to include it in this competition. I'll go with Spectre, which deserves a kick in the shins every time it gets nominated...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited July 2020 Posts: 7,527
    Tomorrow Never Dies

Sartorially I love the Craig posters (and I love the style/setting of the QoS poster). Love the dynamic GE poster. TND is kind of bland to me.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Both of the Brosnan posters look fine to me and SP one is redeemed by Bond wearing a white dinner jacket for the first time since AVTAK.

My vote is for NTTD
    QOS - I've never liked this poster... Everyone looks dour as hell. Olga doesn't look like herself. The desert is a very unappealing location.
    As the dove rubs his wings together gleefully. Controversy reigns again! @mtm I suppose you are right I did chose them. With help from some other academy members. Who may or may not have aided in helping me with the technology.

I guess it was unfair to throw in NTTD but the thought of having it nominated was too much of pull for me.

Lets see how the votes shake out for this one!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    No Time to Die for sure
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited July 2020 Posts: 6,818
    I don't mind the 90's posters. Quite like them actually. The ones for QOS and NTTD aren't fabulous but I like the colours they've used.

So that brings me to another Klebbie vote for SP. Not so much the idea behind it, nor the rather washed out colours, but more so Craig's unnatural pose in that white tuxedo drags this one to the bottom of poster land.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    No vote for me this time. Everybody knows, I mean literally everybody knows, that Licence to Kill has the worst poster(s) in the series. They're so bad they're partially blamed for poor box office in the US.

But to be fair, had LTK been included, it'd have been another rout, so fair enough. None of these five is anywhere close to the DN-TLD posters, but they're all fine. I actually quite like QoS and SP.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    QoS
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    No vote for me this time. Everybody knows, I mean literally everybody knows, that Licence to Kill has the worst poster(s) in the series. They're so bad they're partially blamed for poor box office in the US.

Yeah it's a good point. That is a pretty dreadful poster, there's no style to it at all and I always thought Tim's pose looked weird.
    I'd also say that I think most of Golden Gun's posters weren't great; I'm not even a huge fan of LALD's.
    But to be fair, had LTK been included, it'd have been another rout, so fair enough. None of these five is anywhere close to the DN-TLD posters, but they're all fine. I actually quite like QoS and SP.

I honestly think if the Goldfinger poster came out today most Bond fans would complain about how bad it is. I think it's brilliant.
    I'm with you on the Spectre one: I don't see the problem with it- it's got James Bond doing the most James Bond pose. The big skull head even reminds me of a Fleming novel cover a bit.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I always thought the LTK poster was one of the worst. But since it wasn't nominated i'll go with the utterly banal NTTD effort...
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    mtm wrote: »

I honestly think if the Goldfinger poster came out today most Bond fans would complain about how bad it is. I think it's brilliant.
    I'm with you on the Spectre one: I don't see the problem with it- it's got James Bond doing the most James Bond pose. The big skull head even reminds me of a Fleming novel cover a bit.

I think you've put your finger on why I like the Spectre one. It does make me think of a Fleming novel cover.

And you're right about some of the older posters. I think they're all great, but if they put out a text-heavy poster with drawings of women who are not in the movie at all, I don't think it would go over well with fans! Hell, I don't think the FILM Goldfinger would be loved by fans if it were new...!

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    The posters for SF, SP, and NTTD are truly, truly dreadful. Totally lacking in imagination. Craig doesn't even look good in them. I guess people don't go to see a film because of the poster anymore. Nevertheless, what does it cost to knock up a halfway decent poster? Something good people can have on their walls or on the cover of the Blu Ray? Even an amateur could come up with better than this, which wouldn't even get a merit in a graphic design class.
  • LocqueLocque Escaped from a Namur prison
    I’m also not a fan of the various LTK posters, but of the nominees, NTTD takes the cake: it makes Craig look like Mads Mikkelsen as Le Chiffre.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

I think you've put your finger on why I like the Spectre one. It does make me think of a Fleming novel cover.

And you're right about some of the older posters. I think they're all great, but if they put out a text-heavy poster with drawings of women who are not in the movie at all, I don't think it would go over well with fans! Hell, I don't think the FILM Goldfinger would be loved by fans if it were new...!

Well don't forget that the Goldfinger one doesn't even have drawings: it's photographic. So you'd get fans saying 'it's just a photo of Sean Connery projected onto a hand. No effort, complete lack of imagination' etc.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The posters for SF, SP, and NTTD are truly, truly dreadful. Totally lacking in imagination. Craig doesn't even look good in them. I guess people don't go to see a film because of the poster anymore. Nevertheless, what does it cost to knock up a halfway decent poster? Something good people can have on their walls or on the cover of the Blu Ray? Even an amateur could come up with better than this, which wouldn't even get a merit in a graphic design class.

The typography in the NTTD one is amazing and will get plenty of mentions in graphic design classes. The photography, not so much.