And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    Yes, indeed :--)
    Btw, I'd perhaps vote (although rather silly) for the MR billboards guy ("We'll take more care of you"). Don't know whether he says something in the scene before.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I was always partial to the man who was lunching in TSWLM when the car crashes through the roof of his house. I don't know what he is saying but I chuckle every time Jaws comes out his door and brushes the dust off his coat.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    How about the LALD oyster van driver? I rather like him :)
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited June 2020 Posts: 3,985
    The bug eyed dancer from DN is a legend, but machine gun lady from GF wins in my book 👍
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

thedove wrote: »
    I was always partial to the man who was lunching in TSWLM when the car crashes through the roof of his house. I don't know what he is saying but I chuckle every time Jaws comes out his door and brushes the dust off his coat.

If I recall correctly, he says:

"Mamma mia, che succede? Tutto distrutto!

Which means something along the lines of:
    "Oh my God, what's happening? Everything is destroyed!"
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Haha yeah, and Jaws gives him a look, like "why would you put a house here?"
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GoldenGun wrote: »

If I recall correctly, he says:

"Mamma mia, che succede? Tutto distrutto!

Which means something along the lines of:
    "Oh my God, what's happening? Everything is destroyed!"

Ah thank you! I’ve always wondered :)
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,989
    Time to award a gold Bondie to those colourful secondary characters from the movies. These ones are non speaking in nature. The Bondie for best non-speaking role goes to Senior curtsey's and guns down Bond from Goldfinger.

The voting shows us the following results from the academy:

Senior gatekeeper is 7 votes
    Wine drinking globe trotter received 4 votes
    Guard from North Korea received 2 votes
    The Supervisor of the pipeline received 2 votes
    Bottoms up Waitress received 2 votes
    The whistling janitor from OHMSS received 1 vote
    The dancing star from DN received 2 votes
    The oyster driver from LALD received 1 vote!

Wonderful to see such a diverse group of characters getting their due.

Time to swing back to the Klebbie for worst first meeting of a leading lady and Bond! Over the years we have had some wonderful and memorable first meetings between the leading lady and Bond but some have been clunkers. Lets look into some of the worst meetings between Bond and his leading lady. The nominees are:
    • Bond plays doctor and meets a physicist named Christmas from TWINE
    • Bond bridges the age gap swarms his way on to Stacey Sutton from AVTAK
    • Bond jumps into a car with Camille and then deposits her on a dock a short time later from QOS
    • Bond meets Pam at a dive bar from LTK
    • Bond meets Kissy at a Japanese wedding ceremony

Okay esteemed academy what do we think is the worst meeting of a leading lady and Bond! Who deserves the kick in the shins for how they meet!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Bond meets Christmas Jones. Not a good exchange at all. However the following film was much worse.
    Bond plays doctor and meets a physicist named Christmas from TWINE
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I vote for Bond meets Pam at a dive bar from LTK.

I'm a big fan of Dalton's 007 but never cared for this particular scene. It seems like something that belongs more in either Road House or in a 1970s Clint Eastwood action comedy rather than in a Bond film IMHO.

Sidenote: Bond meets Kissy at a Japanese wedding ceremony is actually one of my favorites. I love how John Barry's music dramatically swells when her face is first revealed.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526

I'm a big fan of Dalton's 007 but never cared for this particular scene. It seems like something that belongs more in either Road House or in a 1970s Clint Eastwood action comedy rather than in a Bond film IMHO.

Sidenote: Bond meets Kissy at a Japanese wedding ceremony is actually one of my favorites. I love how John Barry's music dramatically swells when her face is first revealed.

The Wedding is a phenomenal track. I always thought this would be a cool piece of music in an adaption of the novel YOLT, at the end, when the fishermen are on the island fishing, and Kissy sees an unconscious Bond floating in the water after destroying the castle, and the music swells when you realize it's Bond, and she's pulling him ashore.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The Stacey Sutton scene gets my vote here.
  • The meeting with Stacey is very odd... Bond comes across as a predatory elderly gay man, not the impression you want to convey while courting a woman :D

I am also shocked that Bond meeting Jinx is not a nominee. That scene would suggest Purvis and Wade have never spoken to a woman in their lives.

But I cast my vote for Bond jumps into a car with Camille and then deposits her on a dock a short time later from QOS

This was the scene that killed the film... I saw it opening night, midnight, you could feel the goodwill evaporate completely from the theatre at that moment. Confusing, cack handed filmmaking from a team that should have known better.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Bond meets Christmas Jones. Not a good exchange at all. However the following film was much worse.

+1
    I was tempted to place Jinx and Bond meeting in Cuba on this list. However I felt there the Christmas Jones meeting had more of a train wreck feel to it. No chemistry between Brosnan and Richards also cemented it as a nominee. I at least felt Brosnan and Berry had chemistry in their scene though the dialogue was so ham fisted.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 1,009
    Bond and Christmas, I guess. Both actors look bored. It could be Brosnan talking to Frank Zappa's cow on Head and it would be funnier.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited June 2020 Posts: 2,020
    Besides LTK and AVTAK I have absolutely no recollection of the other scenes, which already says a lot. I’ll trust my esteemed colleagues and my guts on this one and go with TWINE.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    My vote goes to YOLT. The music might be good but Bond looking like 70 and Kissy looking like 18 doesn't work for me at all. The whole wedding stuff in YOLT is very boring and the low point of the film for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I too vote for YOLT as much as I like the film. The way this scene unfolds is just very unconvincing, due to how it was written more than anything else.
    The worst one is Bond "bridging the age gap" in AVTAK. It is not only the fact that it feels high innapropriate, but everything about the scene is bad, from Sutton's horrible performance to the lousy dialogue... Gets my vote
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I love the YOLT wedding scene for the music, naturally- it's wonderful. But it's got Connery in 'disguise', makes little sense and features one of the least interesting Bond girls of the lot.

So I've got to go with meeting Stacey. It's got gorgeous music too, a beautiful location, a beautiful woman in probably one of her better scenes in the movie (she actually comes across as smart and classy here, unlike later), but crucially it has Roger Moore in a white dinner jacket with a bottle of champagne giving his maximum charm offensive! :) No scene that features that can ever lose! And he even gets to say "can I walk you to the chopper?"! It just makes me happy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mtm wrote: »
    I love the YOLT wedding scene for the music, naturally- it's wonderful. But it's got Connery in 'disguise', makes little sense and features one of the least interesting Bond girls of the lot.

So I've got to go with meeting Stacey. It's got gorgeous music too, a beautiful location, a beautiful woman in probably one of her better scenes in the movie (she actually comes across as smart and classy here, unlike later), but crucially it has Roger Moore in a white dinner jacket with a bottle of champagne giving his maximum charm offensive! :) No scene that features that can ever lose! And he even gets to say "can I walk you to the chopper?"! It just makes me happy.

This is a Klebbie. You are supposed to vote for the worst of the nominated.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

This is a Klebbie. You are supposed to vote for the worst of the nominated.

Oh whoops! Didn't spot that. Hmm. Oh well, as the Christmas scene has at least one functioning joke and Pierce's funny accent, the Pam meeting is an acceptable enough scene albeit not hugely memorable, and the wedding has the lovely music and style because of that, I'll go for... meeting Camille. It's all a bit rushed and weird and just very strangely handled.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 7,500

You think she comes of as "smart" and "classy"?

Well, the music is not bad, I´ll give you that...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Heh! That just makes me want to watch the film :)
    She's certainly smarter there than in the rest of the film!
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    The scene in AVTAK is one of the best first meetings I would argue. Roger Moore's age shouldn't really come into it - he is not explicitly playing a 57 year old after all. And even if he is, she's a grown woman. The music, Moore's performance, and the intrusion of May Day make this one of my favourite scenes in the whole series. Yes, he's physically too old for the action, but Moore's delivery of his lines is as sharp as ever.

I am generally quite down on QoS (though it is growing on me), but I have always thought Camille is one of the most sympathetic characters.

So my vote goes to TWINE. I don't think Richards was given material that played to her strengths, but there you go. TWINE it is. And I would be amazed if this didn't win.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Bond plays doctor and meets a physicist named Christmas from TWINE

The Wedding is one of Barry’s best tracks. Beautiful.

Stacey
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I look at the Bond-Stacey intro as more as a Bond possibly trying to gain information from her rather than him hitting on her.