And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    That baby blue denim getup in LALD. Pretty rough
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,020
    Agree, that was not a very good look for Bond.

This velour tracksuit from AVTAK is not a winner as well IMO:
    Moore-Velour-Tracksuit-640x294.jpg
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 7,653
    This was the disco 70's and indescribable 80's clothing choices for you

I am still in shock by the Kilt in OHMSS but damn Lazenby wore it so well.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I’m tempted to propose the clown outfit from OP; a big red nose on top of the big misstep that is Octopussy. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,990
    mtm wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    JamesStock wrote: »
    What is wrong with people? The first several seconds of QOS is masterful and I love how it cuts to the roar of the AM without music on top of it. That in itself should unqualify QOS from a Klebbie, despite folks' inability to keep track with what follows. I understand the distaste but never had an issue with the fast pace editing and could follow it from the get go.

LALD definitely deserves to be a candidate.

Regardless, DAF gets my vote. I absolutely can't stand "Ca-ca-cairo," the horribly unrealistic instadeath by mud spray, and "kill him" as Blofeld just stands behind Bond watching him. That's not to mention that somehow after the one-punch he gets the goon to give an answer despite the other goons around him... On top of that, it couldn't have shat on OHMSS any better. Really poorly contrived and executed.

Definitely agree here.

QOS is masterful. The shot exchanges of Como lake and the soundless Aston close-ups as a build-up to a frantic chase between two of the most beautiful car manufacturers ever to have existed surely can't be on a list with DAF's sloppy dubbing and clumsy fight choreography? Or DAD's poor CGI close-ups?

I just imagine some people watching thinking, "Wait, wait, slow down with this car chase! I'm totally confused about what's happening!" Then watching YOLT and thinking "Oh, they've staged Bond's death in private and there's spaceships! Awesome!" Very odd.

I think you think there's an obvious logical fallacy there but it's not as obvious as you think.

The QoS PTS does look nice and has a lovely opening, but then it gets a bit hard to follow, the logic is all over the place, you have to remember from the previous film that came out two years ago that Bond has a machine gun with him, innocent people get hurt (bit of a Bond no-no) and it feels so hacked up into pieces that the conclusion to the whole chase just suddenly happens without any buildup to there being a climax at all, plus Bond ends it by just shooting them with his gun- nothing clever at all. It's all very unsatisfying and feels like it hasn't been thought about.
    Mark Higgins the stunt driver was saying in an interview only the other day that they shot a lot more to that chase and you can believe it- what's left looks edited to the nines.

And that's ignoring that I remember finding the launch into the car chase to be a bit too jolting. I need some sort of introduction to the film, as to why something is happening. It's taking too much out to have it open directly on full-bore, tight close-up action when you haven't really got your bearings in the audience yet. Brave maybe, but I don't think it works. It's too cold of an open.

I have no doubt they shot a hell of a lot more than five minutes of footage for that car chase. And I'm sure if Mark Higgins had directed and edited it we would have seen more of that footage and more people would have been able to follow the complicated car chase.

Well he's a racing driver and QoS was the first film he ever worked on so I think it's doubtful that's in his skillset! :)
    Editing aside, I think it's common for a PTS to not make it clear what's going on until a few minutes in (GF), after the title sequence (LALD), or not at all (MR).

No, they all set up where you are, what the stakes are etc. before the action kicks off. They tell a bit of a story even if you don't get the lead-up. It's not quite the same thing to join a small story in media res than it is to join an action scene halfway through. I don't think it works.
    Also, I'm not sure it's necessary to remember Bond has a machine gun with him. If someone doesn't recall the previous film (or indeed if they can't follow the editing), then they are definitely going to have a hard time with QoS, but I don't see why a machine gun needs to be explained to anyone. Timed explosives, a harpoon in his ski pole, a fake horse butt, there's no telling what Bond will have in the PTS.

It's a bit weird to have one laying in the footwell of your car though. That's not really normal spy stuff. Having gadgets for your mission is one thing, a very convenient massive machine gun just laying around isn't quite the same. Especially when it has actually been set up in a quick scene two years previously most folks won't remember the detail of.
    Obviously people just like different things. I really love the rush of this PTS, and its sudden ending. I never had any trouble following the cause and effect in the action in a general way, and in a more specific way it's easier upon second viewing.

I don't know if 'having to get used to it' is a good defence! :)
    I’m tempted to propose the clown outfit from OP; a big red nose on top of the big misstep that is Octopussy. ;)

I don't think it qualifies as this outfit was worn out of necessity rather than choice.
    Bond is mellow yellow on the ski slopes from TSWLM
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,990
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Agree, that was not a very good look for Bond.

This velour tracksuit from AVTAK is not a winner as well IMO:
    Moore-Velour-Tracksuit-640x294.jpg

Aw I've got a soft spot for that! :)

I'm voting for the LALD blue outfit too: it's quite creepy if anything! Mind you, GE's opening Monaco scenes have Pierce dressed as Alan Partridge at several points. In the DB5 chase he's got a cravat on!!
    a863eef0-863d-11ea-954f-4be2a9932807
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I shall obstain as I actually like all of these nominees .
    If we were to have an unofficial Klebbie, my vote would go to Bonds jean overalls in NSNA or any of the sweatsuit outfits in Shrublands which make Bond look so geriatric.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I don't think it qualifies as this outfit was worn out of necessity rather than choice.

Ah I didn’t know that was a restriction. @mtm Brosnan in Monaco popped into my mind as well.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Assuming we are not referring to clothes he has been forced into/stolen, in which case the Spatz in YOLT would take some beating, it's the vest in LALD for me.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 3,564
    I suppose there could only be one nominee per film, and the mellow yellow skiing ensemble from TSWLM is pretty atrocious -- but I always hated the "Lawrence of Arabia" get-up from the "when one is in Egypt, one should delve deeply into its treasures" scene. Still, if I have to vote for one of the officially nominated outfits, then yeah, the baby blue outfit from LALD just doesn't work for Roger Moore. Hey, have we gotten to vote for the third nipple in TMWTGG yet? That's gotta be worth SOME sort of Klebbie!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Ah I didn’t know that was a restriction. @mtm Brosnan in Monaco popped into my mind as well.

Yeah that double breasted blazer. Chilling!

I'd say ones that don't look good any more have to include Sean's pink tie look in DAF, and why on Earth does he go to meet Scaramanga dressed like this? Possibly his worst look for me.

JHRVpnkFyt5Vc-yqin_5G-72N7M0KGUPCSMgCtqcave8ZM2HB_8EUCXIZzcdu-b_8XoJoZFuDj0FFlxOIzknnNI-zivrv4Zr4J7W

I'd say ones that don't look good any more have to include Sean's pink tie look in DAF, and why on Earth does he go to meet Scaramanga dressed like this? Possibly his worst look for me.

JHRVpnkFyt5Vc-yqin_5G-72N7M0KGUPCSMgCtqcave8ZM2HB_8EUCXIZzcdu-b_8XoJoZFuDj0FFlxOIzknnNI-zivrv4Zr4J7W

he went antiquing ?
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Interesting thoughts from the esteemed academy. So I will close voting for the write-in's. Here is the list we shall vote from. If you have already voted no need to vote again.

The nominees:
    • Bond dons a baby blue terry cloth coverup for man talk in GF
    • Bond wears a safari suit into Brazil in MR
    • Bond wears a mellow yellow ski suit in TSWLM
    • Bond has a shrinking suit in DAD
    • Bond and Rosie visit the hills up there with a blue leisure suit
    • Bond wears a smooth velvet track suit in AVTAK
    • Bond looks like Alan Partridge in GE

What will be voted the worst fashion choice by our man James! The nominees are all fashion choices by our man. So while the clown outfit, the spax shoes and the space suit are all rather dire they were not chosen by our man.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld

Cause he wanted to match the shirt and tie from Scaramanga's mannequin. :)
    Bond and Rosie visit the hills up there with a blue leisure suit (LALD)

What a dreadful set of clothes to wear
    LALD baby blue outfit
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Surely Connery in overalls in NSNA cannot be topped!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Personally, I admit to not having a sense of fashion at all. "Fashion" is for making money out of superficial, gullible people. It just doesn't interest me. My preferred clothing is still the same as in the seventies, make that regular Levi's (34/34), though minus the flares, and Fruit of the Loom unicolored sweatshirts (T-shirts in summer) without slogans, brands or fake university symbols on them. Everything else is only what seems to be socially required on special occasions. And I kicked the habit of wearing ties for 99 per cent of the former occasions, including most court appearances as a lawyer (it seems no-one cares anymore). And yes, I am proud never to have worn a dinner jacket/tuxedo or the like even once in more than 63 years.

This is why I find much of Daniel Craig's wardrobe as Bond atrocious. I'd cringe if I had to wear something by Giorgio Armani or Tom-what's-his-name and look like someone shrink-wrapped my legs in his creations.

My write-in opinion therefore awards the Klebbie to most of Danny's clothing. I can live with that fake 70s stuff that Rog wore. At least it looks comfortable.
    echo wrote: »

NSNA-JB0014SCdungarees.jpg
    Univex wrote: »

That man makes everything look cool even that babyblue one piece in GF, I doubt anybody else can get away with that.
    SaintMark wrote: »

That man makes everything look cool even that babyblue one piece in GF, I doubt anybody else can get away with that.

Zardoz says: hell yeah!

1*7_LYHA5mK-Z-ncQFw0eXKA.jpeg

Zardoz says: hell yeah!

1*7_LYHA5mK-Z-ncQFw0eXKA.jpeg

That is really pushing it that moustache.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677

Yep, the moustache is the big problem there ;)
    Brossa's Alan Partridge look in GE!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

he went antiquing ?

Haha! It is an odd choice for someone who's going to confront the world's greatest assassin on an island in the Chinese islands: a tie and (hideous) sports jacket! :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    thedove wrote: »
    Interesting thoughts from the esteemed academy. So I will close voting for the write-in's. Here is the list we shall vote from. If you have already voted no need to vote again.

The nominees:
    • Bond dons a baby blue terry cloth coverup for man talk in GF
    • Bond wears a safari suit into Brazil in MR
    • Bond wears a mellow yellow ski suit in TSWLM
    • Bond has a shrinking suit in DAD
    • Bond and Rosie visit the hills up there with a blue leisure suit
    • Bond wears a smooth velvet track suit in AVTAK
    • Bond looks like Alan Partridge in GE

What will be voted the worst fashion choice by our man James! The nominees are all fashion choices by our man. So while the clown outfit, the spax shoes and the space suit are all rather dire they were not chosen by our man.

Well, although I've already said it I just want to make my choice official: it's the double denim LALD look!

What confuses me is that they actually took a publicity photograph of him in that! :D
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,630

In all fairness, Connery was in a hurry to spend time with Valerie Leon :-)!

The blue leisure suit from LALD gets my vote.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    The blue leisure suit from LALD