And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actor...page 134

Comments

Christopher Wood for The Spy Who Loved Me, he created the rebranding of Roger Moore as 007 and also his novelisation gave us a brilliant book that is certainly among the better continuation novels written in the 007 lore.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    It was the first original Bond film, forced to make do without any source material, and somehow, it was iconic from the jump. It paved the way for many a ski scene to follow.

It also boasts the best non-Blofeld execution scene and a unique henchman.

My vote is for TSWLM.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    You Only Live Twice is the source for The Spy Who Loved Me.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Only correct opinions beyond this point, I understand
    mtm wrote: »
    GoldenEye proved Bond could exist outside of the Cold War and its one of the main reasons we still have Bond today.

I like GE and I'm not saying you're wrong to pick it, but did that need proving? I'd say LALD or TMWTGG or GR or TB or MR or LTK or many if not most of them proved that!
    :)

Not the character, but the film franchise. It's widely known that GoldenEye was the first Bond film to be made after the fall of the Berlin wall, the collapse of the Soviet Union and end of the Cold War,

Indeed, it's widely known because it's a fact :D
    and that Bond's relevance with audiences in the new climate was uncertain (things addressed in the film itself as @ProfJoeButcher points out, although I can't see where it relies on coincidence unless he's referring to the PTS, which I think is a misinterpretation).

I would say the source material and many of the early films, fundamental to the establishment of the character, lean pretty heavily on an antagonistic Russia.

The ones I mentioned really don't at all though, and the films kept going despite that. I don't think anyone thought LTK finished off the Bond series because there was no mention of Russia in it! :)
    It was a fun soundbite at the time and added a bit of manufactured PR jeopardy to the film's opening to make audiences curious, but in reality there was no huge surprise that Bond could keep going without the Cold War because he never actually directly battled the other side in any of his movies, and quite a few of them didn't have any mention of the cold war at all.

Goldfinger and Thunderball were massive hits which defined the whole series, I think you'd be hard pressed to say they leaned heavily on an antagonistic Russia. There's a vague mention of Goldfinger himself being sponsored by the Chinese, but it's pretty blink and miss it and he's mostly just out for himself.

Spy Who Loved Me is another massive, series-defining hit, and that does indeed have Russia, in the form of Anya, playing a pretty big part. So remove the Russian element and you get... Moonraker. Which also did pretty well

Right on all points.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Yes it was a challenge and I suppose I could have not selected LTK. But I felt that there was enough of a brand new story there with many new characters that it qualified. I am really enjoying the varied thoughts. I think it's a challenge to look at the films with a solo emphasis. For example I might not rank Glen as a good director but might feel LTK is a better story and script then the others.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Skyfall is at the top end of my ranking (9/10), on equal footing with three films based on screenplays "adapted" from Fleming novels (FRWL, GF, CR). I enjoy SF immensely and find it incredibly entertaining. That's the main issue for me, and I therefore vote for Skyfall here.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,956
    thedove wrote: »
    Yes it was a challenge and I suppose I could have not selected LTK. But I felt that there was enough of a brand new story there with many new characters that it qualified.

Fair enough
    thedove wrote: »
    I think it's a challenge to look at the films with a solo emphasis. For example I might not rank Glen as a good director but might feel LTK is a better story and script then the others.

Yeah it's funny that is how I feel: I don't find LTK to be one of my favourites but I do think the plot is rather good and well-conceived.

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited May 2020 Posts: 1,690
    GoldenEye proved Bond could exist outside of the Cold War and its one of the main reasons we still have Bond today.

I like GE and I'm not saying you're wrong to pick it, but did that need proving? I'd say LALD or TMWTGG or GR or TB or MR or LTK or many if not most of them proved that!

Not the character, but the film franchise. It's widely known that GoldenEye was the first Bond film to be made after the fall of the Berlin wall, the collapse of the Soviet Union and end of the Cold War, and that Bond's relevance with audiences in the new climate was uncertain (things addressed in the film itself as @ProfJoeButcher points out, although I can't see where it relies on coincidence unless he's referring to the PTS, which I think is a misinterpretation)

He stumbles across his old buddy's plan after racing a stranger.

The PTS doesn't rely on coincidence, but on extremely peculiar planning by 006 and Ouromov!

j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Skyfall is at the top end of my ranking (9/10), on equal footing with three films based on screenplays "adapted" from Fleming novels (FRWL, GF, CR). I enjoy SF immensely and find it incredibly entertaining. That's the main issue for me, and I therefore vote for Skyfall here.

forgetting OHMSS & TB?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,956

Not the character, but the film franchise. It's widely known that GoldenEye was the first Bond film to be made after the fall of the Berlin wall, the collapse of the Soviet Union and end of the Cold War, and that Bond's relevance with audiences in the new climate was uncertain (things addressed in the film itself as @ProfJoeButcher points out, although I can't see where it relies on coincidence unless he's referring to the PTS, which I think is a misinterpretation)

He stumbles across his old buddy's plan after racing a stranger.

Sure, but have you seen how he finds the baddie's plan in Thunderball? :D

And to be honest, if you took the whole Monaco sequence out the movie would probably still play more or less the same. Ouromov is still a suspect I think, isn't he? And MI6 know he's involved with the Goldeneye.
    The PTS doesn't rely on coincidence, but on extremely peculiar planning by 006 and Ouromov!

Yes, like most Bond films it's best not to think about the plot too closely! :D
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

forgetting OHMSS & TB?

Neither is in my top four (although not in my list of duds either), and neither is relevant for a decision on "original screenplays".
    Hard choice between Skyfall and GoldenEye, but I will have to with Skyfall.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    Ooh, I really love all of these films (except for QOS, which I still find enjoyment in). I guess if you put a gun to my head, I'd say Skyfall (even though I really don't like the Old Man Bond part).
  • Most of these are good choices. LTK does have a fair amount of Fleming in it (as others have noted) so we'll discard that one. I like Skyfall an awful lot -- but it does have some huge plot holes, and it IS a bit self-consciously arty (not least when M is reciting poetry during her hearing) so we'll set this one aside too. Quantum is too flawed for me to give it the win (even though those flaws aren't really apparent in the script itself) and TSWLM never really convinced me of the villain's main plot -- which is, I suppose, why the villain in the follow-up film, MR, had essentially the same goal: destroy all life on Earth so he can rule humanity from his base in space rather than the sea -- only a little more carefully thought out. I'll give the win to France, Fierstein & Caine for Goldeneye
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur

Exactly.

I love TSWLM but I'd hardly call its screenplay "original". Interesting that it's getting a best screenplay nomination in the same contest where the script its recycling so much of got a worst screenplay nomination.
    Yes the academy tends to like some controversial choices in the nominees! LOL!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,399

Exactly.

I love TSWLM but I'd hardly call its screenplay "original". Interesting that it's getting a best screenplay nomination in the same contest where the script its recycling so much of got a worst screenplay nomination.

it find it interesting to look back at directors who have done more than 1 Bond film, and see the similarities between their films... not they are carbon copies, but they usually share similar styles, themes, and tropes... like they each had their own set template, and they stuck to it.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    my vote would have to go to Skyfall
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    LTK!
    Best plot of the franchise for me.
  • I'm personally quite split on this one. On the one hand, LTK is excellently led in narrative terms and perhaps offers the best possible adaptation of TMWTGG. But I think I'll give my vote to Skyfall which narrative structure is perfect.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    HASEROT wrote: »

Exactly.

it find it interesting to look back at directors who have done more than 1 Bond film, and see the similarities between their films... not they are carbon copies, but they usually share similar styles, themes, and tropes... like they each had their own set template, and they stuck to it.

Yeah, you can really see that Roger has three different approaches to Bond, depending on his director. People always think of him as the Lewis Gilbert superman Bond, but he was Hamilton's bastard version and Glen's calmer and wiser Bond at least as much.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    HASEROT wrote: »

Exactly.

Yeah, you can really see that Roger has three different approaches to Bond, depending on his director. People always think of him as the Lewis Gilbert superman Bond, but he was Hamilton's bastard version and Glen's calmer and wiser Bond at least as much.

That's a good point, I'd never really thought about that.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The result of the DRP vote is TSWLM
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Gotta go with LTK here
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I don't really get why SF is nominated, I'd say its plot is one of its weakest points.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I don't really get why SF is nominated, I'd say its plot is one of its weakest points.

The quality of the script doesn't necessarily align with the strength of the plot in the Bond series. SF's plot has holes, but it's overall screenplay elevates the film above those gaps. DAF is another example - it's got such great dialogue and atmosphere, despite an Austin Powers plot.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,970
    Voting is tight! Two horse race between two films with the others close behind. For best original story or screenplay the Bondie goes to...Skyfall, Paul Logan, Robert Wade and Neal Purvis!

Voting was as follows

GE 2 votes
    QOS 2 votes
    LTK 4 votes
    SF 6 votes
    TSWLM 3 votes

All nominees receiving some votes!

On to our next category. This one is a fun one and not one that you will find on any awards show. The next category is best fight in a confined space. The nominees are:
    • James Bond versus Jaws in a train compartment in The Spy Who Loved Me
    • James Bond versus Peter Franks in an elevator in Diamonds are Forever
    • James Bond versus Mr. Slate in a hotel room in Quantum of Solace
    • James Bond versus Red Grant in a train compartment in From Russia with Love
    • James Bond versus Che Che in a hotel room in On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Time for the esteemed academy to cast a ballot! Who will get the Bondie?
    I apologize for the double post, but I need to do a gentle bump to get our academy members aware of the next category!
    James Bond versus Red Grant in a train compartment in From Russia with Love