And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actor...page 134

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    I think what makes Elvis work is that the film is very much aware of how simple he is and doesn't miss any opportunity to take the piss out of him. It's actually almost cruel, but I like it.

💯 💯 💯… and yes it is almost cruel (and I like it too, 😂!)
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Dare I say "Don't be Cruel" to Elvis? ;)

I love the different viewpoints that are being shared. I wondered about how people would feel about some of the other henchmen on this list. Great insights shared so far.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think Elvis has been explored above correctly. His function is to be more of an assistent who's gotten in way over his head. He's even calling his mother while posting. Camille easily pushes him aside on the quay. He's a useless henchman, but that's the point of the character.
    Zao I think serves his purpose and is at least putting up a fight with a little bit of gest.
    Vargas just kills, that's the whole idea and I think the film positions him well. He's a creepy guy and meant to be. And indeed has a memorable death.
    Chang is quite useless, but still does the job. I was happy for him to be gone though.

But Hans takes the cake. I had to look him up, he's that forgettable. I think I wouldn't even remember him after seeing the film 5 minutes before. He servs no purpose any more than any of the hundreds of Drax' employees. He's there ready to be dropped between the phyrania's, in an not-very-well choreographed fight. At least her he can win something.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I think what makes Elvis work is that the film is very much aware of how simple he is and doesn't miss any opportunity to take the piss out of him. It's actually almost cruel, but I like it.
    Yes! Even down to him literally having his trousers blown off in one of the explosions. How to crown a truly hapless life...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'll vote for Hans. I'm pretty sure I never even registered him by name until I joined this board seven years ago.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Ill go with Hans as well. He's just there to remind us how much better the fight scene was between Bond and Grant.

I wouldn't call Zao or Chang useless. Both serve a purpose in the story. Figure Zao is who Bond ends up getting exposed by and at least we have decent interactions in action scenes between him and Bond. Same for Chang. The fight scene is good between him and Bond in the glass factory.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Good points, Last_Rat. Yeah, I'll go Hans too.
    Yes, unlike all the others, Hans was so forgettable I didn't remember he was in YOLT.
    edited March 28 Posts: 4,970
    As I approach the lectern I make sure that the bridge is steady and doesn't have any trap doors to the pariah tank.

The winner of the Klebbie for worst henchman goes to...Hans from YOT, accepting the award is Mister Osato who believes in a healthy chest.

Lets flip the script and go with the best henchman. This promises to be a war and one that may leave only one man standing. Because it's a best, lets give this one to the actor who delivers the best performance.

The nominees for best henchman are...
    • Harold Sakata OddJob from GF the character was mute, but yet Harold made him have personality with grins, motions and eyes that danced or pierced depending on what was called for. While he blew a fuse this henchman always looked calm and in control.
    • Richard Kiel Jaws from The Spy Who Loved Me another silent hulking henchman. The 7'2" Kiel towered over everyone and was played for fear not laughs in this performance. The killing of Kalba gave this 8 year old Dove nightmares. Besides anyone who can wear a baby blue sport coat and still look deadly is doing something right.
    • Robert Shaw Red Grant From Russia with Love doesn't speak until 80 minutes into the film. He is the definition of a trained killer who is focused on his mission. His dialogue with Bond on the train, both as Nash and Grant are a great part of the movie. The film sags when his character is no longer involved. This performance ranks right up there with the greats!
    • Benico Del Toro Dario from Licence to Kill is it the grin, the swarmy appearance, the exaggerated dialogue he spews? Not sure, but you can't take your eyes off this henchman when he's on screen. Early signs of this great actor and he makes good on his limited screen time. A shame that the plot needs Dario to leave the film for a good chunk while Bond executes his inner war against Sanchez.
    • Dave Bautista Hinx from Spectre a great opening for this baddie. A novie actor Dave showed how to make an imposing henchman relevant for the new version of Bond. Tough, yet stylish. Brutish and big, Hinx was a thorn in the side of Bond. Fans have been wondering if he'd return in NTTD which is a sign of how well received his performance was.

Honorable mentions to Grace Jones, Bruce Glover and Putter Smith and Julius Harris.

So dear academy voters, who is the best henchman performance in the series? Feel free to add write in votes as I could have had a longer list.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Sakata is magnificent with nothing more than a couple of ‘ah’s and his eerie smile, but it has to be Shaw. Mesmerizing in every aspect and for me, the greatest ever performance by any actor in a Bond movie.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Red Grant. Timelessly terrifying.
    Love Oddjob, but it has to be Red Grant, superb nemesis to Bond!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I love them all but I'll go with Jaws. While somewhat campy at times, he was the perfect henchman for Gilbert's Moore films.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Very difficult choice between Sakata, Shaw and Dario. I wanted to go for the last one, but Shaw walked into my mind, saying 'are you sure, old man?' Now I don't dare to choose differently. Shaw it is. Walking straight out of the book.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Shaw. Shaw. And then Shaw.
    For me, it's a choice between Shaw and Sakata. But I think I'll go with Shaw as well, "old men".
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Love Harold Sakata and Richard Kiel. Justifiably great and iconic henchmen.
    But Robert Shaw as Red Grant knocked it out of the park. Never bettered.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    In terms of the actor's performance specifically, I'll have to go with Benicio as Dario.
    Robert Shaw for sure. Del Toro for runner-up.
  • I will go for Dario
    edited April 1 Posts: 4,970
    As I flap back to the stage I am feeling like a cigarette but sadly don't have any sovereigns to pay for them.

The winner of best actor in a Henchman role is...Robert Shaw as Red Grant the performance garnered 8 votes. Dario received 2 votes (credit to @ProfJoeButcher) and Jaws both received one vote. No votes for OddJob which surprises me a bit.

Okay on to a Klebbie! Roger Moore had 7 leading ladies, lets dive in and select the worst Bond girl actor in a Roger Moore film.

The nominees are:
    • Tanya Roberts as Stacey Sutton in AVTAK. If acting was screaming Tanya would win. But her character does little else but scream and provide exposition for the audience benefit. There is precious little chemistry with Moore, although given the age difference that might be a good thing.
    • Lois Chiles as Dr. Holly Goodhead in MR. She gives as good as she gets. A tough no-nonsense woman who is seemingly in a race to beat Bond at every turn. This is never explored in the movie. I would describe her acting as wooden and rather flat. Not much chemistry with Moore.
    • Britt Ekland as Mary Goodnight in TMWTGG. The performance starts strong enough. But as the film plays out her performance seemingly gets worse and worse. The script plays her as a bumbling rookie agent but it becomes almost cringe worthy how the role is played. There was potential here but it was lost.
    • Barbara Bach as Anya Amasova in TSWLM. She does have some interesting scenes with Moore and plays them adequately. Like Lois in MR it would appear that she is sometimes wooden in her portrayal. While the movie is a large and big Barbara almost gets lost in the film and as such fails to leave much of a mark on the movie.
    • Holly Lynne Johnson as Bibi Dahl in FYEO. Is this the actor or the script that leaves us wanting? I would argue a bit of both. Holly does try her best but often comes off as an unlikeable brat, when I think the part was looking for a sympathetic teen who is being taken advantage of by Kristatos.

There you have it, our list of nominees, if you want to write in a vote please feel free.

Who delivers the worst performance as a Bond girl actress in a Roger Moore film?
    edited April 1 Posts: 1,690
    Dario had at least two votes!

Anyway, Barbara Bach here for sure. She's the worst lead actor in the series.
    Dario had at least two votes!

Anyway, Barbara Bach here for sure. She's the worst lead actor in the series.

Thanks for the catch @ProfJoeButcher bless your heart! LOL!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Chiles as Goodhead. A poorly written character with the stiff performance to match.
    Bottom 3 Bond girl for me.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    A fine collection of the worst of the worst here but I'd have to go with Bach as well. Every line delivery sounds incredibly painful for her to deliver, and more so for me to listen to.

The others are failed in various ways that are not often down to the performance, but XXX is a legitimately interesting character as written and Bach brings absolutely nothing to her.
    Stacey
    Moore's era is riddled with lousy female performances and you're too kind by not at least including Carole Bouquet in the list but settling for the secondary Bond girl of FYEO. But ultimately, she wouldn't be my choice overall anyway. I'll also vote for (or rather, against) Barbara Bach, who IMO had the most prominent "Bond girl" role and failed to bring it to life. Perhaps Lewis Gilbert is to blame for letting both Bach and Chiles get away with being wooden.
    A fine collection of the worst of the worst here but I'd have to go with Bach as well. Every line delivery sounds incredibly painful for her to deliver, and more so for me to listen to.

The others are failed in various ways that are not often down to the performance, but XXX is a legitimately interesting character as written and Bach brings absolutely nothing to her.

Seriously, at times it's like she learned her lines phonetically and has no concept of what she's saying.
    I disagree with the nomination of Holly as Bibi Dahl, I think the part is meant as a spoiled brat living off of her 'sugar daddy'.

For me, Chiles takes the cake. The part itself is empty enough, but she's hollowed it out even more. No emotion when she should be full of contempt, no emotion when they meet again, no emotion at all. She's not wooden, she's sollid reinforced concrete. I have no idea why she 'warms up' to Bond, as I don't see her warm up at all.
    Flip a coin between Lois and Barbara, equally boring, I'll go with Barbara!