And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Univex wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Surely Connery in overalls in NSNA cannot be topped!

NSNA-JB0014SCdungarees.jpg

Hillbilly Bond.

"Call me Hilly."
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Yep, the blue leisure suit.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The vote from the DRP goes to Bond and Rosie visit the hills up there with a blue leisure suit ... which not only is an unfortunately hideous example of 70s high fashion, but is also the most poetically lyrical Nomination description from @thedove 👍
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The fashion police, I mean the academy have voted! The Klebbie goes to the Bond and Rosie visit the hills up there in a blue leisure suit! Accepting the award is a small headed man with limited means who got into a fight with a chicken!

Okay time to switch back to a Bondie! Lets do an award for best unique setting for a fight! Bare with me dear academy. Yes Bond has gotten himself into some scrapes over the years. Most have taken place in a conventional setting. But a few have been fought in some rather unique places. Lets see which one the academy feels is best...the nominees are....
    • Bond and Necros tussle with a net from the Living Daylights
    • Bond, Gobinda and Mischa (or was it Grischa?)have a three way dance on top of a train from OP
    • Bond and a man battle in a bathroom from CR
    • Hold the phone...a double nominee for the first time ever! Bond and Gobinda fight on the outside of a plane from OP
    • Bond takes Largo and the SPECTRE gang for a cruise of fists on the Disco Volante in TB

Here is our nominees! Time for the academy to bruise it up and select which one is the best fight in a unique setting.
    Bond and Gobinda fight on the outside of a plane from OP

An absolute brilliant stunt after the train stunt (that sadly killed a stuntperson) in teh same movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think I will give this to the cargonet fight. If the crane fight from CR was on the list, I would have given it to that one.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Bond and Necros tussle with a net from the Living Daylight

I agree that the crane fight (CR) would at least be a close second. The bathroom fight in CR is not my taste, and the TB fight is, IMO, not too spectacular for a movie finale (and the outside pictures are not realistic).
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Bond and Gobinda fight on the outside of a plane from OP

An absolute brilliant stunt after the train stunt (that sadly killed a stuntperson) in teh same movie.

Martin Grace broke his back but recovered, was there another stuntman who died? The only stunt death I recall hearing about was FYEO in the bobsled scene.

My Bondie vote goes to The Cargo Net right in TLD
    I always understood that the train stunt had a deadly ending, my bad if it didn't it still shows that the 007 franchise did have some amazing stunts in the past.
    I was torn on a few from CR. I thought of the crane fight and also the fight in the stairwell. Both were stand outs. I chose the first one due to the grittiness and the close up camera. We feel it just as much as Bond does. Though I suppose the cuts back to the office tend to ruin the flow.

I do like the TB brawl at the end. I don't believe we've seen Bond take one multiple opponents in a fight before this one. I like how they use various mundane items in the melee. Yes the ridiculous sped up back projection does kind of take us out of reality.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    All of these fights are great, but my personal favourite is Bond and Necros tussle with a net from the Living Daylights.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    The cargo net fight from TLD is great, but let down slightly Imo because the close up shots don't quite have the right amount of wind blowing in Bond's face. So I go for Bond vs Gobinda on the plane in OP.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,980
    thedove wrote: »
    Okay time to switch back to a Bondie! Lets do an award for best unique setting for a fight! Bare with me dear academy. Yes Bond has gotten himself into some scrapes over the years. Most have taken place in a conventional setting. But a few have been fought in some rather unique places. Lets see which one the academy feels is best...the nominees are....
    • Bond and Necros tussle with a net from the Living Daylights
    • Bond, Gobinda and Mischa (or was it Grischa?)have a three way dance on top of a train from OP
    • Bond and a man battle in a bathroom from CR
    • Hold the phone...a double nominee for the first time ever! Bond and Gobinda fight on the outside of a plane from OP
    • Bond takes Largo and the SPECTRE gang for a cruise of fists on the Disco Volante in TB

Here is our nominees! Time for the academy to bruise it up and select which one is the best fight in a unique setting.

So we're going for which is the best of them?
    I guess they do different thing: CR's probably the best actual fight, and most brutal, but in terms of being slightly crazy and dangerous looking and something I haven't really seen before or since, it would have to be Bond and Gobinda outside the plane in Octopussy. That's just nuts. The plane is diving and twisting and he's hanging onto the thing. Insane.

I'd say an honourable mention for the Golden Gate fight in AVTAK: that's a really well-done scene even despite the dodgy back projection and truly terrifying when you see the stuntmen actually up there.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,980
    The cargo net fight from TLD is great, but let down slightly Imo because the close up shots don't quite have the right amount of wind blowing in Bond's face. So I go for Bond vs Gobinda on the plane in OP.

Also, once you've noticed the polystrene 'hills' about six feet behind Dalton you can never unsee them.
    :D

Necros.jpg
    "Please don't let me fall! I might break a nail"
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I just rewatched the cargo net fight and can see all of the closeup shots. However still my favorite in this round.

So cargo net fight from TLD.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Love Gobinda as a henchman and the plane fight in OP is great, but I’m voting for the Net Fight from TLD.
    I also quite like the chopper fight between Sciarra and Bond in the Spectre PTS and feel it could have earned a nom.
    Love Gobinda as a henchman and the plane fight in OP is great, but I’m voting for the Net Fight from TLD.
    I also quite like the chopper fight between Sciarra and Bond in the Spectre PTS and feel it could have earned a nom.

It just looked too CGI with that daft filter on the movie.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Bond vs. Necros
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just rewatched the cargo net fight and can see all of the closeup shots.

Another highlight from that film is in the fight in the Land Rover in the PTS, in the closeup shots (like where Bond headbutts the baddie) be sure to look out of the car's window to see occasional tree branches being very obviously wobbled past by stagehands!
    :D
    Cargo net fight from TLD
    Bond and Necros tussle with a net from the Living Daylights
  • I'm sensing a quick decision here... the cargo net fight from TLD gets the nod from me.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    TLD.
    Every list with TB on it, will make me vote for...well...TB.

But I have to admit the cargo plane from TLD was iconic as hell. So, I'll bypass the vote to TLD.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    All 5 nominees are good one but I want Tim to win a Bondie so my pick is:

Bond and Necros tussle with a net from the Living Daylights
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Well, yet again the DRP are forced to vote for the consensus yet again with TLD, our reputation as being alt-taste Bondbirds is taking a real battering this year. Better luck next time
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2020 Posts: 6,791
    TLD. Not a shred of doubt.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Definitely TLD in this group
    As I walk to the stage the audience hushes in silence as the coveted Bondie is about to be awarded to the best fight in a unique space is awarded. I am pleased to announce that the award goes to....Bond and Necros tussle with a net. Necros got the boot so accepting the award is Timothy Dalton! The voting was rather slanted in this category!
    • Bond and Gobinda let the fists fly outside a plane from OP receiving 3 votes
    • Bond, Gobinda and Mischa (or was it Grischa?) do a three way dance on top of a train received 0 votes
    • Bond and a contact get physical in the washroom from CR received 0 votes
    • Bond and a SPECTRE mob take a cruise of bruises from TB received 0 votes

This brings us to our next category. Lets make it a big one! We shall do Best Actor to play Bond in a debut! We will have extra candidates so that we can judge every actors debut in the role. Please judge the performance of the actor and not the movie as a whole!

The nominees are:
    • Sean Connery from DN
    • George Lazenby from OHMSS
    • Roger Moore from LALD
    • Timothy Dalton from TLD
    • Pierce Brosnan from GE
    • Daniel Craig from CR

Which actor delivers the best performance in their debut in the role as the worlds most famous secret agent!
    Sean Connery from DN

Was good and convincing and made Ian Fleming give James Bond Scottish ancestry in his next book. Still the James Bond for me, Dr No is an excellent opener in the franchise.