And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

Bond and Melina go for a drive in the country in FYEO

This remains one of my anti car chases and a heck of fun, with Roger Moore nobody does it better.
    Add another vote for the Lotus. It's the first chase I think of when someone says car chase.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I will go for QOS, though they're all good. You can't go wrong with Aston Martin VS Alfa Romeo.

I miss the one from TLD however.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 893
    But I think my favorite is another unnominated one:

I totally agree with you and I regret not being able to add my vote to this sequence.

But, if I had to choose among those proposed, my choice would be the OHMSS car chase. Both the cinematography and the editing are magnificent, creating a truly effective sequence. Speaking of this film, I wonder what was planned when the DBS what set to go underwater, as was the case in one of the earlier drafts. Could we have had something similar to TSWLM?
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Despite owning all of the Rigg/Thorson Avenger episodes I never actually watched “A Touch of Brimstone.” But it will certainly be spinning in my DVD player at some point tomorrow. Is it any good……LOL?!

@Dwayne it’s a highlight of the series for sure! 😍☺️ I’ve got the DVD Boxset as well, you’ve put me in the mood for a rewatch as well, no excuse with the lockdown! Enjoy! 😉
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The vote from the DRP goes to Lotus Esprit - growing up with Roger’s Bond this was always my Bond car, and the sequence is still as exciting and fun to watch today. It could only be improved with extra footage of Roger doing his back in trying to climb into it!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,980
    thedove wrote: »
    Time to hand out another Bondie. This one will go to the stunt car team that had the best car chase. An important distinction for the academy is that the category will only have cars as the primary vehicles in the chases. So no oil rig trucks from LTK or motorbikes from TND.

With that lets have the nominees:
    • "Big M" takes on the stock car race in OHMSS
    • D5 ejects itself into Goldfinger's factory in GF
    • Bond escapes the baddies with Mr. White in the Boot in QOS
    • The Lotus gets the feeling that no one likes it and goes for a swim in TSWLM
    • Bond and Melina go for a drive in the country in FYEO

Who takes the prize esteemed academy members? What one is the best car chase in the Bond film series!

Well, the OHMSS one is kind of okay, it's a bit of a mess editing-wise, doesn't have a story to it and has just been created in the edit suite really (why do you say 'Big M'? Mercury?).
    EDIT: Oh you don't think Tracy is saying "I hope my Big M will stand up to this" do you?

The DB5 chase again isn't really much of a chase at all. It's just a couple of sped-up shots of the Aston driving along some factory roads.

The QoS one is a bit more exciting but again the editing harms it quite a lot, plus I get annoyed that the hugely powerful Aston can't get away from those little Alfas when it hits a bit of empty road(?!). It also hasn't got a satisfying payoff: it just suddenly ends when Bond remembers he has a gun. Very poor. Also it's one of the very few times where an innocent bystander gets probably seriously hurt: that's a bit of a no-no in a Bond film.

The TSWLM chase is a lot of fun, that little Lotus is really shifting, the music is pumping and it's both funny and exciting. Yeah, honourable second place.

But first for me is the FYEO 2CV chase. It's exciting, well-edited, full of great driving, feels actually quite dangerous, Bond uses his wits to evade his pursuers, the use of the car in it is original and fun, and the music gets the blood pumping again. It's an excellent sequence.

One big omission from the list though is the car park BMW chase from Tomorrow Never Dies. That's a fantastic action sequence and I'd easily rank that up there with the FYEO chase.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Goldfinger factory chase
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm with the 2CV crowd here. And @mtm said it all.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    My vote goes to the Lotus.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    To answer the burning question yes @mtm I do think Tracy says "I hope my Big M will handle this" Am I wrong after all these years? LOL! :)

Great responses and I seem to have picked on something where we are having a variety of opinions. I love when the academy pushes for other scenes to be nominated. If you have a future category to suggest please PM and I can put it up for nomination. Our next 2 shall be Klebbie's so if you have an idea for a "worst" I would love to hear about them.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    To answer the burning question yes @mtm I do think Tracy says "I hope my Big M will handle this" Am I wrong after all these years? LOL! :)

I'm pretty sure, yes! :)
    I've always heard it as "I hope my big end will stand up to this!"; a big end being an engine part (one end of a connecting rod attached to the crankshaft) frequently referred to in Carry On-style comedy back then because it sounds vaguely cheeky!
    ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The OHMSS transcript at script-o-rama.com claims she says "I hope my big end will stand up to this."
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    GF.
    Klebbie suggestion
    Worst villain death
    Goldfinger in GF
    Stromberg in TSWLM
    Whitaker in TLD
    Elliot Carver in TND
    Le Chiffre in CR
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Klebbie suggestion
    Worst villain death
    Goldfinger in GF
    Stromberg in TSWLM
    Whitaker in TLD
    Elliot Carver in TND
    Le Chiffre in CR

Surely Kananga in LALD would be the top choice for many??
    Regarding a car chase, it has to be QOS!!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    The OHMSS transcript at script-o-rama.com claims she says "I hope my big end will stand up to this."

D'oh! LOL! Okay nice to be corrected. I thought it was M for her Mercury car. Now I know it's end. LOL!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Klebbie suggestion
    Worst villain death
    Goldfinger in GF
    Stromberg in TSWLM
    Whitaker in TLD
    Elliot Carver in TND
    Le Chiffre in CR

Thought about including him but for me his death is more ridiculous/funny than actually bad. The effects are laughable but it gets points for originality.
    Perhaps a more apt description would be ‘most disappointing/underwhelming death‘
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    These are all great. I thought about giving it to QOS, but as I started typing I changed my mind. GF, it is.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

“All those feathers and he still can’t fly”!!!!
    +1 for TeamLotus
    I'll take a drive in the country!
  • The "Best car chase" competition IS a very good one. The Lotus will probably win... and yes, the parking garage scene in TND really should have been included here... but I just have a fond spot for the drive in the country from FYEO. Genuinely funny as well as quite exciting -- my own favorite car chase despite some substantial competition from elsewhere in the series.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm going with QoS.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Klebbie suggestion
    Worst villain death
    Goldfinger in GF
    Stromberg in TSWLM
    Whitaker in TLD
    Elliot Carver in TND
    Le Chiffre in CR

What? Le Chiffre and GF are pure Fleming (although Oddjob sucked it up in the novel).
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Quantum of Solace for me
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    echo wrote: »
    Klebbie suggestion
    Worst villain death
    Goldfinger in GF
    Stromberg in TSWLM
    Whitaker in TLD
    Elliot Carver in TND
    Le Chiffre in CR

What? Le Chiffre and GF are pure Fleming (although Oddjob sucked it up in the novel).

Those might win for best villain death, but I think the suggested category was worst villain death.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,398
    Best car chase? I love the one in TLD but FYEO is also very good. @mtm described it wonderfully (well...apart from the music which is okay but very dated and a bit distracting).
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Since the TLD chase isn't nominated my vote goes to the FYEO 2CV with the Lotus as a close second. The 2CV chase was probably my favourite Bond scene in my school time.
    Lotus for me please
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Best car chase? I love the one in TLD but FYEO is also very good. @mtm described it wonderfully (well...apart from the music which is okay but very dated and a bit distracting).

It's dated but I don't care: it's exciting and punchy! And when the Bond theme kicks in it's great.

The only thing I don't quite get about that chase is the 180 degree turn: I see clips of that in all sort of greatest Bond stunt compilations and things and... well I've seen better. There are much better 180s in TMWTGG and Octopussy that I can think of- the Citroen does sort of stop a bit halfway through.