And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,982
    I am being handed the envelope. The Bondie for best villain monologue or plan reveal goes to Dr. No's elegant dinner for three from the film Dr. No. (applause) Dr. No was unable to make it to the awards show tonight as he's drowning in his work.

Final tally shows the academy voted along the following lines:

Goldfinger to the hoods convention...3 votes
    Alec speaking about his Cossack blood...3 votes
    Dr. No at an elegant dinner for 3...9 votes
    Silva sharing his rat story to Bond....5 votes
    Stromberg declaring no money for destruction...0 votes

Okay academy it's time for a big category. We shall be awarding a Bondie to the best actress in a lead role of a Bond film. Please remember we are considering the actresses acting skill and not her character. The nominees:
    • Diana Rigg as Countess Tracy in OHMSS
    • Eva Green as Vesper Lynd in CR
    • Sophia Marceau as Electra King in TWINE
    • Claudine Auger as Domino in TB
    • Michelle Yeoh as Wai Lin in TND

Okay esteemed academy who will take the Bondie for best actress in a lead role.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Diana Rigg.
  • While I like both Green and Marceau, Diana Rigg is without a doubt the best leading lady of the series in my eyes, both thanks to her performance and her character, Tracy being simply fascinating.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must be in the minority, soon as Silva appears in SF the film is all down hill for me.

Probably a lone voice here but I don’t think Silva’s entrance is very good. He has to walk sooo sloooowly to give himself enough time for his story, he’s taking little baby steps.

Why's that a problem?
    The audio puts me off too, he should be shouting given how far away he is at the beginning. It’s a cool idea but I think the execution is a bit off.

Things always look bigger on film. He's not very far away.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,983
    thedove wrote: »

Okay academy it's time for a big category. We shall be awarding a Bondie to the best actress in a lead role of a Bond film. Please remember we are considering the actresses acting skill and not her character. The nominees:
    • Diana Rigg as Countess Tracy in OHMSS
    • Eva Green as Vesper Lynd in CR
    • Sophia Marceau as Electra King in TWINE
    • Claudine Auger as Domino in TB
    • Michelle Yeoh as Wai Lin in TND

Okay esteemed academy who will take the Bondie for best actress in a lead role.

Yeah it's Diana Rigg for me too. She's sheer class and it must be the only time when the female lead has by far overshadowed the male lead in a Bond film.

The honourable runner up for my money is Michelle Yeoh, who I think is fabulous in TND and gives a really charismatic performance.

Marceau is very good in her role but is never really extraordinary; Eva Green is okay but I think she's pretty miscast (she can't even really do the elegant by-play in the train scene; imagine Rigg saying those lines and making them sparkle); and Claudine Auger isn't really even the most impressive actress in Thunderball I'm afraid. If we had to pick a Connery one I'd have gone for Honor Blackman over her.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,020
    Diana Rigg easily
    Diana Rigg. The poet of beguilement sings
    mtm wrote: »
    Why's that a problem?

someone taking tiny steps along the floor like David Suchet’s Poirot might look like an impressive and intimidating villain to other people, but not to me

• Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    Diana Rigg, although Eva Green isn't too far behind.
    Still Rigg from me, but from an acting perspective, Green isn’t far off I don’t think. As @Agent_One says.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Yeah, I guess I'll have to chime in for Diana Rigg. Not that I like her character that much, but she filled it quite nicely. Too bad her male counterpart was so lousy.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    If it’s acting talent you want, I’m happy to announce the result of the DRP’s vote is

Diana-Rigg-with-snake-hi-res-e1556275216324-1200x1511.jpg

She’s also good with animals
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Why's that a problem?

someone taking tiny steps along the floor like David Suchet’s Poirot might look like an impressive and intimidating villain to other people, but not to me

I don't see the issue. He's being slightly camp in that scene. That's part of his sinister act.
    I don't see the issue. He's being slightly camp in that scene. That's part of his sinister act.

Good, it means I’m still a lone voice
    Why's that a problem?

Agreed. I wonder if it took many takes to time the walking and monologue properly.
    It shows the quality of Diana Rigg when Sophie Marceau and Eva Green don't even get a look in at this category. That's how good Rigg is. If Judi Dench had been nominated for Skyfall this choice would be near impossible.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    It shows the quality of Diana Rigg when Sophie Marceau and Eva Green don't even get a look in at this category. That's how good Rigg is. If Judi Dench had been nominated for Skyfall this choice would be near impossible.
    I'd argue no other Bond Girl has the distinction of being better than the Bond they're playing with!

Good point! I think the community is so madly in love with Rigg that she would've won regardless. But it would have been a tougher choice for sure.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Diana Rigg. The poet of beguilement sings

+1
    As much as I love Eva Green's portrayal, Diana Rigg gets my vote for her masterclass performance in OHMSS.
    Diana Rigg as Countess Tracy in OHMSS
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,983
    Agent_One wrote: »
    I'd argue no other Bond Girl has the distinction of being better than the Bond they're playing with!

I said the same, but then 2Wint did mention Dench, and I'd say she's better than Brosnan. I guess she did only really get a chance to shine more in the Craig films though.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Diana Rigg, there can be no doubt.
    Should I end the voting now!? Wow a landslide victory for Tracy. For your consideration are we judging the actress or the character? While I think she does a great job in the film and has some sparkling moments she doesn't have the ark that Sophie plays in TWINE. Sophie has to make you like her and understand how Bond would fall for her and then switch to a villain and someone you hate. Her skill is making that believable.

Or Eva Green playing the character with something hidden under the surface and how she ends up falling for Bond and can't bring herself to deliver him to Quantum...or was it SPECTRE? But I digress!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    The lovely Diana Rigg gets my vote. It really says something about her acting ability as well as the character of Tracy, that she holds such a place in our hearts five decades later.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Claudine Auger as Domino in TB
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    If it’s acting talent you want, I’m happy to announce the result of the DRP’s vote is

Diana-Rigg-with-snake-hi-res-e1556275216324-1200x1511.jpg

She’s also good with animals

@Max_The_Parrot. Given your user name, of course, you would say that 😊.
    BTW: Despite owning all of the Rigg/Thorson Avenger episodes I never actually watched “A Touch of Brimstone.” But it will certainly be spinning in my DVD player at some point tomorrow. Is it any good……LOL?!

Okay the academy has voted and we almost had a sweep! The Bondie goes to...Diana Rigg has Countess Tracy Bond in OHMSS. The only other actress to get a vote was Claudine Auger as Domino for Thunderball. Wow!

Time to hand out another Bondie. This one will go to the stunt car team that had the best car chase. An important distinction for the academy is that the category will only have cars as the primary vehicles in the chases. So no oil rig trucks from LTK or motorbikes from TND.

With that lets have the nominees:
    • "Big M" takes on the stock car race in OHMSS
    • D5 ejects itself into Goldfinger's factory in GF
    • Bond escapes the baddies with Mr. White in the Boot in QOS
    • The Lotus gets the feeling that no one likes it and goes for a swim in TSWLM
    • Bond and Melina go for a drive in the country in FYEO

Who takes the prize esteemed academy members? What one is the best car chase in the Bond film series!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I'll take the lotus. Good mix of suspense, humor, and unknown. And just the sheer madness of the helicopter chasing the lotus doing all those crazy stunts to keep with the Lotus.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Of those 5 options I vote for:

The Lotus gets the feeling that no one likes it and goes for a swim in TSWLM

due in no small part to Naomi with her lovely but lethal wink ;)

but I think my favorite is another unnominated one: