Dr. No Original Film Reel

Here's an excerpt of a original black and white reel print of Dr. No from 1962 where Bond takes on Mr. Jones taken from the featurette of the film. It gives an insight of how the film might have looked in theaters back in the day when it was released.

Comments

• Yes thought it was interesting nonetheless as I never saw it uploaded before.
    Just out of curiosity, what purpose would a black and white featurette have? TV?
    Just out of curiosity, what purpose would a black and white featurette have? TV?
    TV would sometimes use things like this as fillers when a movie finished its time slot early as the majority of series at the time were in black and white still.

Also, a lot of features were still done in black and white in 1962/63 as color was a lot more expensive to shoot on especially for featurettes. Even the GF featurette a couple years later was in black and white.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    TV would sometimes use things like this as fillers when a movie finished its time slot early as the majority of series at the time were in black and white still.

Also, a lot of features were still done in black and white in 1962/63 as color was a lot more expensive to shoot on especially for featurettes. Even the GF featurette a couple years later was in black and white.

Thanks, @BT3366! I was completely unaware that these things existed back in the day.
    No problem. I have a fond memory of the summer of '79 when a movie finished early pn one of the networks and it ran the featurette on MR before it came out, the one that's on the vault special features of the Blu-ray, and included cable car footage and I knew I had to see the film.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,241
    BT3366 wrote: »
    No problem. I have a fond memory of the summer of '79 when a movie finished early pn one of the networks and it ran the featurette on MR before it came out, the one that's on the vault special features of the Blu-ray, and included cable car footage and I knew I had to see the film.

That must have been quite the teaser, @BT3366!
    _______

It's interesting seeing Bond in black and white. I imagine those early films – if on a lesser budget – could still have been popular in black and white. The locations and cinematography benefits from colours of course, so it wouldn't have been the same.