James Bond Rare Octopussy Gunbarrel

edited May 2021 in Bond Movies Posts: 229
Haven't been posting on here for a while but I came across this when searching on youtube which seems to be from a workprint version of Octopussy but the user who uploaded it seems to have mistitled it with Moonraker. Has anyone seen it before. The gunbarrel is also in a weird aspect ratio with much more picture information than before.

Comments

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    It's from a 16mm print apparently.

• It's from a 16mm print apparently.

Ok thanks for clarifying that.
    Fascinating. I remember the ABC Sunday Night Movie having a similar aspect ratio for their 1990 airing of TLD.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Looks like the same gun barrel elements Binder used for LALD and TMWTGG.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Didn’t old pan and scan videos have a bit more picture to the top and bottom?
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 15,803
    mtm wrote: »
    Didn’t old pan and scan videos have a bit more picture to the top and bottom?

Depends on which VHS release it was. I used to collect the VHS pan and scan Bond videos pretty obsessively trying to find the best overall versions. I can remember comparing the 1992 MGM/UA Home Video release of GF and discovering it was slightly zoomed in larger compared to their earlier 1988 release.

There were a couple of different DR NO transfers from CBS/Fox Home Video. One was a more worn print and the picture was slightly squeezed. I believe it actually had more image on the tops and bottom. As Mr Jones takes the cyanide pill one can see the ocean behind Bond. In some versions it was zoomed in so close we didn't quite catch that bit of background scenery.

I could be mistaken but I don't believe any of the "flat" Bond films were a matte ratio. I don't believe they were shot with the 1:37 standard, then framed to 1:85.
    Wish I had kept more of my old VHS copies for comparison.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,025
    Here's a 35mm sample of DR. NO, and as you can see on the top and bottom there's very little extra information to give beyond 1:66.

Dr. No 35mm technicolor