Grateful for QoS sequels

Looking back, I'm glad Marc Forster threw out the final scene of QoS which filmed Mr. White's originally planned death. It allowed some audience members to take a moment and think about how soon they rushed to judging QoS, despite it having too much action and lacking the dramatic effect owed to the events of CR. With that said, it seems like the legacy was allowed to continue. While Sam Mendes made it too obvious that a fan of the series was directing his films, the nods to QoS were just too subtle in SF, but made up for in SP. The QoS references and the bits which continue to NTTD with characters including Felix Leiter coming back and also Mr. White's daughter are fine ways to give proper sequels to QoS despite there being no bridge film in the gap before SF.

With that said, in my personal opinion, it would be great to have DC come back for a sixth outing but we won't talk about that in this thread.

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yes, @dramaticscenesofQOS, very interesting to take the long view back to Quantum of Solace and how things played out since. There was such surety expressed for things like Mr. White will never return, Quantum will never be mentioned again, and so on. Meanwhile the producers continued to make bold choices and really built a great Craig Bond era that's still playing out. Very very successful on their part.

Are the filmmakers including Craig and Cary inspired enough to put something else on the table, to go ahead with a sixth mission for Craig? Anything is possible. Will Cary be interested in directing the introduction of the next Bond actor is another question.

But that's getting way ahead of events. First, No Time To Die.

• edited February 2020 Posts: 1,280
    Funny thing is, there are similar films with such loose ends that never got he sequels they deserved and if they did it was much later. Nevertheless, these dark films with loose ends which make you wonder what happened to its characters as though you miss them, make so much more money than mediocre sequels. Look at what happened with the Fast and the Furious franchises between films 1-4. Batman Forever made lots of money as people expected a true sequel to Batman Returns (Batman Beyond or Crisis Inifinite Earths is still on the table in the near future for Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfeiffer)....

The first Fast and Furious film created and ending such that th 4th film carried an air of melancholy similar to QoS. Brosnan's films didn't get unpopular because of GE, it's because all of his subsequent films carried through a careless light predictable tone which never made the darkness of LTK and Dalton's influence get any sequel acknowledgment.

The producers love Vesper and Quantum and Camille as much as many of us fans do. And they know the dark films really help the series out.

People went to go see the 2nd and 3rd Fast and Furious movies because they wanted to see whatever followup they could get from the bits and pieces left behind by the family-centric characters of outsiders which resulted in tragedy by the end of the first film. While both the 2nd and 3rd movies did not serve as neither direct nor good sequels, fans were cheering to see Vin Diesel back even for just a cameo at the end of the 3rd film which saved the series from becoming direct-to-dvd. Vin Diesels' reluctance to return to the role after the first film for fear of typecasting parallels Daniel Craig's reluctance at doing more Bond movies. He's mentioned that he would regret letting go of the Bond franchise if he does it too soon and yet he's given the studios concern by wanting to depart.

With DC saying that he doesn't care who replaces him and that he doesn't want to direct, really makes it feel like a real death. He might even go as far as telling reporters that he hasn't watched the subsequent films if he lets go of the Bond role. Similar to Vin Diesel's reluctance, it doesn't mesh very well with fans. It will become polarizing for the future of the films because I know I don't want to see someone who doesn't care as much as DC about the script, about the character developments, about the grittiness and things that have made the series more interesting since CR. It would be as though we'd be fools for having watched the progress made from CR to now after wasting my money on the ticket for DAD in 2002.