Official NTTD Poster Thread

Comments

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    LOL @Univex :D
    ;) Hey, when in Portugal, ...

...assuming you're still in the mainland, my friend.

What did you think of the poster? And have you heard anything about the teaser trailer?
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 1,661
    I think it's rather poor. He looks a tad startled to me which isn't really the first adjective that comes to mind when I think of 007. What's he looking at? A pigeon? UFO? ;))

In terms of facial expression it's hardly in the same league as Dalton's very first teaser poster:

the-living-daylights-movie-poster-1987-1010193638.jpg

Bond is meant to look dangerous or serious. Craig's look doesn't embody any of that vibe. Anyway, on the plus side the official film poster can't look any worse! That's one way to stay positive.
    Univex wrote: »

What did you think of the poster? And have you heard anything about the teaser trailer?

Yep, still here. I'm doing my Masters in Cinema, so at least for the next two years I'm in your extremely beautiful and welcoming country. :)

About the poster, I'm with the gang, totally disapointed. I was hoping for something with a little bit of inspiration, and not a still from the movie with the logo over it.
    And have you heard anything about the teaser trailer?

Well, Universal Brazil told me yesterday that the announcement of the Brazilian title would come with the Poster and Trailer. So...we only got the Poster.

Yep, still here. I'm doing my Masters in Cinema, so at least for the next two years I'm in your extremely beautiful and welcoming country. :)

About the poster, I'm with the gang, totally disapointed. I was hoping for something with a little bit of inspiration, and not a still from the movie with the logo over it.

Yep, my feelings exactly, my friend.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869

I still love it! And think it looks even better in this print :) It’s a shame not a lot of you like but like many have mentioned it has no effect on the film, and I’m sure they’ll be releasing more posters between now and the films release :) A shame but least we have our first look at what seems like a still from the movie, which is more than we yesterday! :D
    I've called the SF posters the "Tintin-Bond-posters", I shall call this one the "MickeyRourke-Bond-poster".

Can't anyone take a good flattering pic of the man?

That blue shade of the wall, though, love it.
    I can imagine Cary Fukunaga saying to Daniel: "look apprehensive!" and they took a photo.

Fukunaga then said "right, that will do as the poster. I'm off to play more Call of Duty!"

:-j
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I can imagine Cary Fukunaga saying to Daniel: "look apprehensive!" and they took a photo.

Fukunaga then said "right, that will do as the poster. I'm off to play more Call of Duty!"

*Red dead redemption 2*
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Here's the large one from the Instagram story, but without the lines and the 007 logo.

70407024_1375260169287647_1688392146694402711_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fbeg1-1.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=111
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    I’m underwhelmed by it tbh. Where’s the sense of dynamism? Not too jazzed about how large the font is or its placement. I agree with others who’ve mentioned the dinner jacket could benefit from a nighttime setting instead of broad daylight. Lastly, Craig in this poster doesn’t look imposing or intimidating at all.

Overall, they could’ve done leagues better with a poster than this lazy effort we have right here.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Love the background.

I do too.
    That poster is a captions dream, it is. "Hope no one smells that" comes instantly to mind. "Gotta go, cheerio", but there will be tons of more inventive captions for that awful, awful stance.
  • RC7RC7
    The title/font feels like it will be the focal point of the campaign to me.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 565
    So when I saw the poster, I also thought it was a bit bland for my liking. I know it's tailored for general audiences, so for as much as I'd rather see the Jamacian desk concept others have mentioned, I get the need to have a minimalist image of Craig.

But then I thought, what message are they trying to convey with this poster? The chipped wall and weathered Craig. The use of the raw, undoctored photo. The growly pissed off look on Daniel's face. The use of saturated colors and let's not forget that big retro bold font.

I think they're trying to hint at something a little more on the edgier side of things...in terms of style and story. Perhaps a "return to pre-SF" isn't the right phrase, but you get the idea. I like the bold choices, clearly stating that they're doing something different. And perhaps that's the message they're trying to send.

My two cents.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,272
    That poster is a captions dream, it is. "Hope no one smells that" comes instantly to mind. "Gotta go, cheerio", but there will be tons of more inventive captions for that awful, awful stance.

"Craig smells a rat"? :-D
    RC7 wrote: »

Wouldn't surprise me. They've already started using the typography for marketing purposes too. Someone posted the typography mounted to a board in the production thread.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Sadly underwhelming. With a better pic of Craig and the logo smaller it could have looked a lot better.

Any word on the Quad version?
  • RC7RC7

Wouldn't surprise me. They've already started using the typography for marketing purposes too. Someone posted the typography mounted to a board in the production thread.

Exactly. It’s striking, so why not?
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,272
    JamesStock wrote: »
    So when I saw the poster, I also thought it was a bit bland for my liking. I know it's tailored for general audiences, so for as much as I'd rather see the Jamacian desk concept others have mentioned, I get the need to have a minimalist image of Craig.

But then I thought, what message are they trying to convey with this poster? The chipped wall and weathered Craig. The use of the raw, undoctored photo. The growly pissed off look on Daniel's face. The use of saturated colors and let's not forget that big retro bold font.

I think they're trying to hint at something a little more on the edgier side of things...in terms of style and story. Perhaps a "return to pre-SF" isn't the right phrase, but you get the idea. I like the bold choices, clearly stating that they're doing something different. And perhaps that's the message they're trying to send.

My two cents.

I'm very curious as to what message they try to send. We do have some insight into the title logo though. The guy who did the NTTD title logo posted this on Instagram:

My title style for the new James Bond film. Created at Empire Design. A fitting, nostalgic, throwback to a film series that has increasingly paid tribute to it's roots.

Don't know if there's much to be read from this, but I wonder if keywords like nostalgic and throwback might be an indication of what kind of film we're getting.

Indeed it is! It will be interesting to see how they incorporate the typography with the marketing.
  • JamesStock wrote: »

My two cents.

I'm very curious as to what message they try to send. We do have some insight into the title logo though. The guy who did the NTTD title logo posted this on Instagram:

My title style for the new James Bond film. Created at Empire Design. A fitting, nostalgic, throwback to a film series that has increasingly paid tribute to it's roots.

Don't know if there's much to be read from this, but I wonder if keywords like nostalgic and throwback might be an indication of what kind of film we're getting.

Indeed it is! It will be interesting to see how they incorporate the typography with the marketing.
    Thanks for sharing the Instagram post. Good points made @Torgeirtrap !

• edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837
    People are complaining because they think it's crap. Even for a minimalist approach I think it's crap. And yeah, it is just a poster, but that's what sites like this are for, surely? Obsessing over this kind of stuff. I haven't seen anyone say it's the end of the world, I've just seen people say they don't like it. Which I think is fair enough.

The black and white edit makes it look a lot better though to be fair. Has a much more grainy and old school feel to it, goes well with the font. But as it stands, yeah. Not good imo.

My two cents.

Thanks for sharing the Instagram post. Good points made @Torgeirtrap !

No problem, @JamesStock! It's interesting finding these little pieces of information about the creative process – no matter how small they are.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,933

I don’t think he’s even posing for the photo though: it appears to be a still from the filming. The photo is ordinary, just lit by ambient light.

As a designer this has the whiff of the client seeing an image they like and getting fixated on it, saying ‘that’s the poster right there; just put a title on it’ leaving the designer nowhere to go. It’s just... not a poster. It looks more like an editorial page from a film magazine.
    mtm wrote: »

I don’t think he’s even posing for the photo though: it appears to be a still from the filming. The photo is ordinary, just lit by ambient light.

As a designer this has the whiff of the client seeing an image they like and getting fixated on it, saying ‘that’s the poster right there; just put a title on it’ leaving the designer nowhere to go. It’s just... not a poster. It looks more like an editorial page from a film magazine.

I'm a designer as well, and I agree - it does look a bit like an editorial piece with the typography and logos added. Nobody would have reacted negatively if this was just a part of a magazine spread.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,933

I'm a designer as well, and I agree - it does look a bit like an editorial piece with the typography and logos added. Nobody would have reacted negatively if this was just a part of a magazine spread.

Yeah it’d be quite a nice page. But it’s not a poster. At best it’s a lobby card (remember them?)! :)
  • Looks like a Next cataloge photo.

Tuxedo Jacket £159.99

Yeah it’d be quite a nice page. But it’s not a poster. At best it’s a lobby card (remember them?)! :)

Yes! It could be an OK lobby card - I think I have a few CR ones in a box, and if I remember correctly, there were a few of them that weren't really that interesting (much like this poster).
  • Typically when we see Bond posing in a poster like that he’s wielding a gun. It’s interesting to see the gun missing this time around.