Albert Hall Skyfall live

in News Posts: 137
Just wondered if there were any other people from the forum at the Albert hall tonight for Skyfall live? Just seen David Newman, who is conducting the London Philharmonic tonight.

Comments

• edited October 2019 Posts: 2,116
    I am going tomorrow at 2pm. Shame Tom himself isnt doing it but hey ho.
    Grab a in concert book. It’s a steal at £10!
    On my way there now!
    As unlikely as it sounds, what would be the odds of them premiering the thing we're all waiting for to the crowd tonight...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’m still pissed I couldn’t go. That’s what happens when no-one else you know is as big a James Bond fan haha :D
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    I'm going at 7pm tomorrow.
    @Agent_99 is going too.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I’m still pissed I couldn’t go. That’s what happens when no-one else you know is as big a James Bond fan haha :D

Just go solo!
    I see they've got the DB5 parked up...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    antovolk wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »

Just go solo!
    I see they've got the DB5 parked up...
    Should’ve done really. Well I hope everyone enjoys my favourite Bond film! Haha :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mallory wrote: »
    I am going tomorrow at 2pm. Shame Tom himself isnt doing it but hey ho.

Brother of isn't bad: they're still the most impressive movie composing family there is! :)
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 137
    It’s an iconic venue and we’re just waiting to go in. The bar is actually pretty reasonable in the pricing and they’ve got a great whiskey selection.
    Just walked by Thomas Newman...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Have a great time @antovolk, can't wait for the end of December have tickets for Manchester Bridgewater Hall.

I haven't watched Skyfall since before I went to see SPECTRE for the first time and I don't intend in watching it even when my 4K set turns up.

I saw Jaws last year in York Barbican with the live orchestra, it's my favourite film of all time and it's an experience of that film I'm never likely to have again.

I'm expecting Skyfall to be pretty special too.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Looks like Judi Dench is in the house.

Ha - what a fantastic spot. It’s just so spellbinding with the orchestra. Especially when your a big geek like me and know when the cues to big tracks are coming up. You look at the screen, then back to the orchestra.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just walked by Thomas Newman...

Oh excellent. Did he introduce it?
    Thomas Newman popped out at the end for a bow. Very cool!!!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    How close did it sound to the original? I remember when I saw Raiders there it was so close that I was genuinely a bit unsure as to whether it was the original film music playing or not (orchestras don't usually get that close to the original recordings); but Skyfall has a very unique sound that I'd be interested to know how well they recaptured it.
    To be honest, around 60% close to the original.... this was a score that struggled with its rearrangement for this, though they did do a very good effort for sure
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Jaws was uncanny, I did wonder if it would sound different and there would be a big difference but they pretty much nailed it.

Seeing Jaws with an orchestra is the best possible way to see it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    To be honest, around 60% close to the original.... this was a score that struggled with its rearrangement for this, though they did do a very good effort for sure

Cool, thanks.
    Having been to the Saturday afternoon matinee performance, I have mixed feelings.

I will preface this by saying I really like the SF soundtrack as heard in the movie, and having watched the film and listed to the soundtrack on my iPhone hundreds of times, I know the score inside out.

The score is basically 50% orchestral and 50% electronic.

Which is a bit of a problem when you have only 100% orchestra and 0% electronics to perform it live.

The rendition of the soundtrack was decent and the orchestral bits were the highlight, but as someone who has the “movie soundtrack” so ingrained in them, it felt a bit disappointing.

The strings were underpowered too and felt like it needed doubling in size to achieve the way the film sounded.

I would still recommend seeing it, if it tours, because even 50% of a great soundtrack is worth listening too, plus you get to see Deakins’ gorgeous visuals projected once more.

I hope if they do another “Bond Concert’ next year, they pick a John Barry one.

Goldfinger would be excellent to hear played live with a big brass orchestra.
    Sam Mendes was there tonight. He said a few words and introduced Thomas Newman.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I was at the afternoon performance, and made contact with Station V: @00Agent, who was going to the evening showing. I hope we can meet again in Vienna some time!
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I was at the afternoon performance, and made contact with Station V: @00Agent, who was going to the evening showing. I hope we can meet again in Vienna some time!

Was nice to meet you @Agent_99 :)
    Just let me know when you come over to Vienna. btw, apparently James Bond Radio is planing some TLD's fan trip to Vienna for next year. I got to Chat with one of the guys during the break.

I really enjoyed the Concert. The movie felt very fresh with the live orchestra, and seeing Sam Mendes was a nice suprise.