Do you have any concerns or niggles about NTTD ,or are you full of confidence ?

Comments

Agent_47 wrote: »
    I have absolute faith in NTTD, it's B26 that has me worried. It's the Bond franchise... let's keep it that way.

I know what you mean. My feelings exactly.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The potential problem I can see is for future films. This one looks like a cracker of a yarn and I think they are going to retcon a bit but enhance the story of SP.

As for how this one ends that's where I get concerned. If they have made Nomi 007 how does she continue to be 007 and Bond takes another double-o number? If they have Nomi give back the double-o designation and she takes another number doesn't that make it just as bad? The white male comes back and the African American female has to return what is rightfully hers. If Nomi doesn't make it out alive as double-o-7 are we saying that women can't be double-o's?

I don't see a good way to end this. Except for maybe Bond rides off into the sunset and retires for good. But then that would imply a reboot again for the next Bond and I really don't wish to relive how Bond became Bond.

So my concerns are based on the next film and not so much this one.
  • A fair point, @thedove . That was my main concern with Spectre, too. (Alright, I had a hell of a lot of problems with that movie, actually.) It seemed that they painted themselves into a narrative corner that was going to be quite tricky to get out of. Worse, at least some of that problem was needless: there were ways that story could've been organized such that it didn't create future problems. Alas.
    That's the cool thing about Bond, I think, there are no narrative corners that can't be deconstructed with the coming of a new actor to the role. "This never happen to the other fellow" sort of things don't have to happen, per se. But one can still start afresh from a normal Bond mission, with James Bond 007 and a new Mi6 crew, like business as usual. If a story was strong enough, this could work rather nicely, seeing that many fans want it exactly like so.
  • True enough, and I do really wonder where they'll go post-Craig.

On the one hand, I do hope they can retain all of the current MI6 crew, all of whom I think are excellent. I'd be happy to M, Q, and Moneypenny all have long tenures.

On the other hand, the repeated destruction of the MI6 building, the introduction of Blofeld as Bond's brother, the "old and washed up" angle . . . these set up narrative difficulties for Craig's tenure.

Hopefully the next fellow can have a clean slate in that regard.
    octofinger wrote: »
    True enough, and I do really wonder where they'll go post-Craig.

On the one hand, I do hope they can retain all of the current MI6 crew, all of whom I think are excellent. I'd be happy to M, Q, and Moneypenny all have long tenures.

On the other hand, the repeated destruction of the MI6 building, the introduction of Blofeld as Bond's brother, the "old and washed up" angle . . . these set up narrative difficulties for Craig's tenure.

Hopefully the next fellow can have a clean slate in that regard.

Oh I hope so. No more angst for a while, please. It's fine for Craig, though.

The only one I'd really want to stay is Fiennes. And we know that's been done before, many times actually.

We'll have to wait and see. I, for one, don't believe any will stay on after Craig's gone.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The one positive I took from the trailer is that the movie will be much more vibrant and vivid looking than the dull SP & SF, but we kinda already could assume that based on the Jamacian video.

By and large I was hugely let down by this trailer, and I can explain why.

For the most part all of my issues with it comes from a feeling of "been there, done that" and recycling material already explored through Craigs four films. I have already seen Bond having trading barbs with strong female characters in CR and SF, and Nomi looks like it will play out in a similar way. Bond going into hiding, or retiring was a concept already explored, so seeing Bond being lured back from his tropical retreat for a secpnd time doesn't hold the same allure. Again, we have a characters hidden past forming the basis of the story, this time Madeline, in SF it was M, and in SP it was Bond. We have the DB5 back again, and with hidden gadgets which while cool on the face of it, leaves me saying "we're doing this again!" It feels like we can never move on, and inparticular I'm never wowed by the DB5 anymore because I've seen it so much, and the gadgets behind the headlights are such a tired reveal at this point.

And M's speech about "the world is changing faster" paranoia seems like a hangover from SF/SP, analysising whether there is still a place for Bond in the modern world. It feels like exactly the same ingredients from the last four films, juat shaken up into a different cocktail. My main concern is that even if the result is better than SF and SP, it still won't feel like a "new" Bond film, because we have seen so much of this already in other movies, sometimes multiple times.
    I can understand that, @Mendes4Lyfe. All of it. But truth be told, I really want another "same" Daniel Craig Bond film, in a way. Just a bit more vibrant, like you say.

Although, I must say, I'll be deeply concerned if the trailer for Bond26 shows all of those traits. I'll be reacting like you are, believe me. I promise.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The one positive I took from the trailer is that the movie will be much more vibrant and vivid looking than the dull SP & SF, but we kinda already could assume that based on the Jamacian video.

For the most part all of my issues with it comes from a feeling of "been there, done that" and recycling material already explored through Craigs four films. I have already seen Bond having trading barbs with strong female characters in CR and SF, and Nomi looks like it will play out in a similar way. Bond going into hiding, or retiring was a concept already explored, so seeing Bond being lured back from his tropical retreat for a secpnd time doesn't hold the same allure. Again, we have a characters hidden past forming the basis of the story, this time Madeline, in SF it was M, and in SP it was Bond. We have the DB5 back again, and with hidden gadgets which while cool on the face of it, leaves me saying "we're doing this again!" It feels like we can never move on, and inparticular I'm never wowed by the DB5 anymore because I've seen it so much, and the gadgets behind the headlights are such a tired reveal at this point.

And M's speech about "the world is changing faster" paranoia seems like a hangover from SF/SP, analysising whether there is still a place for Bond in the modern world. It feels like exactly the same ingredients from the last four films, juat shaken up into a different cocktail. My main concern is that even if the result is better than SF and SP, it still won't feel like a "new" Bond film, because we have seen so much of this already in other movies, sometimes multiple times.

Agreed on a lot of this post.

I do get an uneasy feeling regarding this film, especially with the snippets of dialogue i've heard. "Stay in your lane Mr.Bond/ If you get in my way i will put a bullet in your knee..." I mean, really???

And as for, "The world has moved on Commander Bond.." Very weak.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 1,680

I feel the same way. While yes the film looks colorful and vibrant it feels like we’re getting more of the same right down to the voiceover with M as you stated.

While the trailer has some action I’m not getting a heavy action vibe from the film.

I think the main sequences are matera and Norway 3rd act.

Cuba looks a little generic with nomi. It seems there will be some drama in London with Madeline and Blofeld. Jamaica looks like maybe some drama light action though.

Yeah. It's certainly not treading new ground. Everything has done before. With the exception of Bond being in domestic squabble with his missus.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Just want to jump in here quickly to offer my opinion on the Trailer, as i am very relieved now. It was awesome and put all my worries to rest.

They weren't that big to begin with, i got swept up a little in all the wokeness talk, even though deep down i knew better.

Bond is front and centre in this film, and will not be upstaged by anybody. The shot of him raiding Safins lair on his own is one of the most badass shots in all of Craigs Bond films.

As for Nomi, i said it before, there is really nothing new or fresh here. It's more marketing talk than anything. It's not even a critique, it's just that EoN has done it all before. Nomi is just another in a long line of badass female agents. She has the skills of gals like Wai Lin, or Jinx, with the attitude of Miranda Frost or basically every other femme fatale that Bond ever met, Naomi, Mayday, you name it... only difference here is, well, i honestly struggle to find what is so unique about her at this stage. Except that she might have better choreograped action scenes, but that's just modern, updated filmmaking. And she has a license to kill. But so did Jinx, so did Wai Lin, so did Triple XXX, and many others, just not for the british government.

The knee line is controversial only, because EoN deliberately left out Bonds reaction and response. Probably to make her look like she has the upper hand, which will not be the case in the final film. Bond being Bond, he will have a proper response for that sort of verbal challenge... i mean there are so many places he could take that exchange to,
    Bond could go "Well, my chiropractor won't like to hear this" while opening a bottle of Bollinger in the background... "drink?".

I'm also glad that there is still a hint of flirtiness to her, i'm interested to see where they will take her and Bond's relationship.

Overall i am very pleased with what we got, and we barely know anything about the story, which is great.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    00Agent wrote: »
    Just want to jump in here quickly to offer my opinion on the Trailer, as i am very relieved now. It was awesome and put all my worries to rest.

They weren't that big to begin with, i got swept up a little in all the wokeness talk, even though deep down i knew better.

Bond is front and centre in this film, and will not be upstaged by anybody. The shot of him raiding Safins lair on his own is is one of the most badass shots in all of Craigs Bond films.

As for Nomi, i said it before, there is really nothing new or fresh here. It's more marketing talk than anything. It's not even a critique, it's just that EoN has done it all before. Nomi is just another in a long line of badass female agents. She has the skills of gals like Wai Lin, or Jinx, with the attitude of Miranda Frost or basically every other femme fatale that Bond ever met, Naomi, Mayday, you name it... only difference here is, well, i honestly struggle to find what is so unique about her at this stage. Except that she might have better choreograped action scenes, but that's just modern, updated filmmaking. And she has a license to kill. But so did Jinx, so did Wai Lin, so did Triple XXX, and many others, just not for the british government.

The knee line, is controversial only becaue EoN deliberately left out Bonds reaction and response. Probably to make her look like she has the upper hand, which will not be the case in the final film. Bond being Bond, he will have a proper response for that sort of verbal challange... i mean there are so many places he could take that exchange to,
    Bond could go "Well, my chiropractor won't like to hear this" while opening a bottle of Bollinger in the background... "drink?".

I'm also glad that there is still a hint of flirtiness to her, i'm interested to see where they will take her and Bond's relationship.

Overall i am very pleased with what we got, and we barely know anything about the story, which is great.

Actually he is with nomi in the raid.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 5,185
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Bond is front and centre in this film, and will not be upstaged by anybody. The shot of him raiding Safins lair on his own is is one of the most badass shots in all of Craigs Bond films.

The knee line, is controversial only becaue EoN deliberately left out Bonds reaction and response. Probably to make her look like she has the upper hand, which will not be the case in the final film. Bond being Bond, he will have a proper response for that sort of verbal challange... i mean there are so many places he could take that exchange to,

yeah, i noticed. There are some shots with her and without her. Which makes sense. If she really is as capable and they develop a mutual respect, it would be stupid for Bond not to ask her for help, or to team up as they are fighting the same enemy after all. But since we see many shots of Bond alone (confronting Safin on his own, for example) it makes me think she either dies, gets captured (possibly injured) or switches sides, miranda frost style.
    I think nomi is in the chopper in pursuit of bond. The action seems personal in this one in every faucet
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    After the trailer I’m in a full confidence mood. Looks incredible.
  • RC7RC7

“It feels like exactly the same ingredients shaken up into a different cocktail”.

You’ve just described Bond films.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

yeah, i noticed. There are some shots with her and without her. Which makes sense. If she really is as capable and they develop a mutual respect, it would be stupid for Bond not to ask her for help, or to team up as they are fighting the same enemy after all. But since we see many shots of Bond alone (confronting Safin on his own, for example) it makes me think she either dies, gets captured (possibly injured) or switches sides, miranda frost style.

That's the whole thing is how this all ends is how I want to see hopefully something spectacular and Bond comes out on top it be very anticlimactic if not.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Even though I don't agree with everything you said, that is a great post with some interesting points @Mendes4Lyfe mate

I wish they wouldn't refer to Bond as being old and past it, as much as they have done in the last few films. I wish that wouldn't have done it outright in the trailer.
    I just feel like we haven't seen Daniel's Bond as the man in his peak for as long as we should have. Sure it makes for a more exciting adventure but I can't help but feel cheated that we haven't seen one mission from Bond in his peak

I love that shot of Bond looking out across the lake. It's amazing how they make the landscape look peaceful and ominous, and how they make Bond look relaxed but also restless. I know that doesn't make much sense but I know what I mean
    I’d rather see a different unexpected ending with nomi being a traitor, safin getting the upper hand on bond , or maybe safin killing Madeline.

Maybe Madeline dies and bond looks after the child
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I’d rather see a different unexpected ending with nomi being a traitor, safin getting the upper hand on bond , or maybe safin killing Madeline.

Maybe Madeline dies and bond looks after the child

Yeah and that would line up with the twist and turns Noami Harris read when she read the script from Barbara.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    At this point the greatest “twist” would be giving us the status quo.

Haha very funny
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    At this point the greatest “twist” would be giving us the status quo.

Imagine if the film ends with Bond and Paloma in yellow dinghy. *Chills
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

Even though I feel you're over the top with your Craig pessimism, I think you've hit many of the points that I'm concerned with also. I loved the Jamaican trailer too. It felt fresh. I was really hoping for something completely different after SP. Of course you'd have to address Madeleine and Blofled, but after that I wanted to go in an entirely different direction.

That being said, and I end all my posts in NTTD threads this way, I remain hopeful that I will love this film. I will give it a fair chance. I have a feeling we are in store for some big surprises. Let's hope they are good ones.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 565
    I just had a thought...

I could see them putting the gunbarrel at the end again. This time because Bond is retired to begin with and perhaps when he regains his title at the end they cue the gunbarrel.

On top of that, I could see Nomi doing a May Day honorable sacrifice maneuver to make things work out for everyone, assuming she is in fact 007. The black/female character then doesn't lose the credibility and our protagonist regains his title.

I'm sure I'm probably dead wrong, but I don't think there's really any other plausible outcome that doesn't end up in backlash of some kind.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    JamesStock wrote: »
    I just had a thought...

I could see them putting the gunbarrel at the end again. This time because Bond is retired to begin with and perhaps when he regains his title at the end they cue the gunbarrel.

On top of that, I could see Nomi doing a May Day honorable sacrifice maneuver to make things work out for everyone, assuming she is in fact 007. The black/female character then doesn't lose the credibility and our protagonist regains his title.

I'm sure I'm probably dead wrong, but I don't there's really any other plausible outcome that doesn't end up in backlash of some kind.

oh god, i hope they dont screw with gunbarrel again.. your logic makes sense, but i pray to St. Sir Rog that it doesn't happen anywhere but at the start of the movie..

something maybe to ponder tho - how about a PTS that doesn't feature Craig?.. again, i am doubtful it will happen, but it would be an interesting way bring us into this world 5 years later.. have the PTS actually tease with Lynch as the new 007 on a mission that intos us to what might service the plot for the rest of the movie - cue opening titles - then after that we cut to Jamaica, seeing Bond enjoying a tranquil retirement..
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 3,279
    RC7 wrote: »
    Roadphill wrote: »
    No, you’re not in the minority. Its been clear over the past several years that the majority on here would also have preferred a stand alone adventure, if that’s what your referring too. The dissonance arises from how much we allow the absence of that to effect our overall anticipation and optimism.

Glad I'm not the only one.
    Anyway, I'm sure the film will still be an enjoyable watch. I am just ready for a more 'old school' Bond adventure now. Baggage free, if you will.

I can’t see it ever going backwards, in which case I think people either need to get on board or perhaps consider new hobbies. There are people on here and elsewhere who have been miffed for the last 13 years. I find it odd.

Well I hated the franchise after LTK (1989), which was the last decent film, and didn't like it again until CR (2006).

So I kept on board (reluctantly) and got my Fleming film again, but had to persevere and wait 17 years, not 13 years. So nothing that odd about this. We Fleming purists hang in there, hoping EON finally give us what we want, with each new film.

This is why I hang in there anyway. In the hope that the next film may give us more what I want. It happened in the past, so why would it never happen again? Trends change, audiences change, execs who are in charge also change too (here's hoping)!

Well said mate! That is pretty much how I feel now about the trailer now, but couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read your post. You are right. The trailer sums up the entire Craig era after CR. Its all recycled with the same old stuff - someone has another secret, strong female characters, outlandish vehicle stunts and the old DB5 taking the centre stage spotlight again. Another pointless continuous arc storyline that should really have been put quietly to bed after QoS.

Nothing in that that trailer suggests to me that the new film will be any different to the previous film, SP. EON are not taking the film into a different place this time round. I guess we won't get that until a new actor is brought on board.
    RC7 wrote: »

“It feels like exactly the same ingredients shaken up into a different cocktail”.

You’ve just described Bond films.

Correction - Craig's Bond films.

The Craig films don't reflect what came before with Connery, Lazenby, Moore or Dalton.

This nasty `Fleming re-imagined' soap opera drama crap started with Brosnan's reign, under Cubby's daughter, where she admittedly redeemed herself momentarily with CR, but then came back with a vengeance for the rest of Craig's tenure. The Fleming books are tossed aside, instead giving way to silly retcon crap that had nothing to do with Fleming, with strong female nemesis, Bond going rogue again and again, lots of secrets, M, Q and Moneypenny now taking centre stage alongside Bond, etc.

This new film follows a long trend that started with GE, and is not letting up any time soon, by the looks of it.