NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think many here are underestimating just how flexible that "007 Theme" is; it could very easily be adapted into any of the modern films.

I've always held out hope for its return. A cracking Barry number.

Very, very flexible....it doesn't have to sound exactly how it did in previous Bond films. An intelligent Composer would know exactly how it should be arranged to suit Craig.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think many here are underestimating just how flexible that "007 Theme" is; it could very easily be adapted into any of the modern films.

I can't really think of any scene where it would fit. It's one of Barry's most dated compositions.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    mtm wrote: »

I can't really think of any scene where it would fit. It's one of Barry's most dated compositions.

How?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Disagree. It's no more dated than the original James Bond theme, and they have no issue updating that. All it takes is a bit of imagination.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Very, very flexible....it doesn't have to sound exactly how it did in previous Bond films. An intelligent Composer would know exactly how it should be arranged to suit Craig.

Exactly. It wouldn't be difficult if they set their mind to it. It's extremely unlikely to happen of course, but it's certainly a shame.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247

Disagree. It's no more dated than the original James Bond theme, and they have no issue updating that. All it takes is a bit of imagination.

Exactly. It wouldn't be difficult if they set their mind to it. It's extremely unlikely to happen of course, but it's certainly a shame.

True...such a shame.
    It’s been 40 years now, a much longer time span than when it was actually used (16 years). Plus EON probably doesn’t want to pay royalties to Barry estate and such.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Would it be too on the nose to give Nomi a reworked, hard-edged (if that's possible) version of the 007 theme as leitmotif?

The Bond theme and the 007 theme as duelling entities?
    It’s been 40 years now, a much longer time span than when it was actually used (16 years). Plus EON probably doesn’t want to pay royalties to Barry estate and such.

The royalty issue seems to be the clincher alright, which is understandable but still a pity.
    My understanding is Barry made the 007 theme so he could have his name on it, unlike the actual Bond theme. Obviously that didn’t play out as none of the guest composers ever touched it.
    I know the incredibles is a playful franchise....but Michael Giacchino has really used Barry's themes. I even read somewhere, that director Brad Bird's first choice as composer was John Barry. But Barry declined coz he didn't want to recreate the Bond sound for another franchise. But funny enough the incredibles scores so far, reeks of Bond. In fact...some parts of the incredibles 2, one can hear snippets of DAF. I wouldn't be surprised if Giacchino uses the 007 theme in a more modern way if the incredibles 3 happens. I don't think Bond fans would want it modernized by another composer for another franchise.
    The issue was that Brad Bird wanted a 60s style score and Barry felt he had moved away from that, as if doing it would be a step backwards for him. He probably would have just stuck to his contemporary sound he had by then but that’s not what Brad Bird wanted.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jake24 wrote: »
    Yeah, it would seem out of place....if it sounds like the old ones. A modern rendition of the 007 theme might suit Craig , if handled cleverly by a composer. Just like how David Arnold & Propellerheads modernized OHMSS' theme.
    I'm confused. Isn't Arnold's "The Name's Bond, James Bond" considered a modern rendition of the 007 theme?

That’s the Bond theme. The 007 theme is a different one altogether introduced in FRWL and last heard in MR.

Exactly.
    You mean the one heard last during the MR boat chase? Genuinely didn't realize that's what people were referring to when talking about the "007 theme". I suppose that would be cool, though I definitely don't see it being done especially in Romer's hands.

Exactly....that's the theme. Yeah, me too....most Bond fans as well can't see Romer doing that. Except he's been told to do it.
    I also just don't really find that theme particularly "dangerous" sounding but I suppose it could be done in the right context.

I’d say it’s more adventurous than dangerous sounding.

It is...indeed. But I think it's still a fan favourite. my favourite rendition of it is in FRWL...During the gypsy camp shootout & and Bond gets the Lektor. I think Barry did it playfully in MR to suit Moore's lighter take on Bond.

I agree with this. And this:

• edited December 2019 Posts: 3,279
    Yeah, it would seem out of place....if it sounds like the old ones. A modern rendition of the 007 theme might suit Craig , if handled cleverly by a composer. Just like how David Arnold & Propellerheads modernized OHMSS' theme.
    I'm confused. Isn't Arnold's "The Name's Bond, James Bond" considered a modern rendition of the 007 theme?

That’s the Bond theme. The 007 theme is a different one altogether introduced in FRWL and last heard in MR.

Exactly.
    You mean the one heard last during the MR boat chase? Genuinely didn't realize that's what people were referring to when talking about the "007 theme". I suppose that would be cool, though I definitely don't see it being done especially in Romer's hands.

Exactly....that's the theme. Yeah, me too....most Bond fans as well can't see Romer doing that. Except he's been told to do it.
    I also just don't really find that theme particularly "dangerous" sounding but I suppose it could be done in the right context.

I’d say it’s more adventurous than dangerous sounding.

It is...indeed. But I think it's still a fan favourite. my favourite rendition of it is in FRWL...During the gypsy camp shootout & and Bond gets the Lektor. I think Barry did it playfully in MR to suit Moore's lighter take on Bond.

I agree with this. And this:

Exactly! The essence of that tune could easily be modernised and updated. It has that energetic, rapid dramatic build-up (that could be used over any action sequence), which leads into the slower, upbeat, uplifting notes, which could be used as Bond escapes off into the sunset, on a sail, or a plane.

Now that would be awesome. If Romer did this, he would win over every single Bond fan instantly! Job done! Arnold would be instantly forgotten.
  • mtm wrote: »

It could totally work! You wouldn’t even have to update it. Just take it in its original bombastic form (its use in TB is my favorite for the underwater battle) and stick it in NTTD in some action scene and I guarantee the audience would go wild! And I’m not just talking about the Bond fans. It is sublime, particularly in TB!

Look at Lalo Schifrin’s “The Plot” theme from the original MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE TV series. It’s a very 60s sounding piece and also has a sort of a march sound to it. Yet its inclusion in the modern M:I films doesn’t appear dated or anything like that. In fact it enhances every scene it’s in! It screams “MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!”

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

It’s easy to say ‘it can fit into anything and be easily updated’ but that’s not terribly convincing unless you say how! :)
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,028

It’s easy to say ‘it can fit into anything and be easily updated’ but that’s not terribly convincing unless you say how! :)

I'm not even sure how to respond to a useless statement like this. As someone who has already proclaimed they are not a fan of the theme, another could write the most amazing comment in the world and you would likely remain unconvinced.

Also, I'm not a composer. I couldn't possibly say "how" I would hypothetically inject the theme into a film that hasn't been made yet. All that I could confidently say from my own love of the the theme and it's relatively straightforward structure is that a talented composer could definitely do it.

Good lord.
    Just listen to a myriad of cover songs that do something different to the original, some improving on it, or at least giving a different feel. It s nothing new.
    Just listen to a myriad of cover songs that do something different to the original, some improving on it, or at least giving a different feel. It s nothing new.

Exactly.
    Look at how Arnold used FRWL's opening theme in TND right after Brosnan's Bond punches the bad guy and says 'filthy habit'. The only thing one might say is Arnold might not be a fan of the 007 theme or maybe he did not want to use too much of Barry's bond themes...maybe out of respect(am not so sure though). Coz TND is one film Arnold really used and even overused the Bond sound(Maybe coz it was lacking in GE). One could easily tell Arnold was a genuine Bond fan and he felt so much excitement doing TND.He could easily have used the 007 theme in TND in a very modern way if he wanted and it would have worked. Although, I know Brosnan's take on Bond is much more traditional than Craig's. Look at how the Guitar part of the Bond theme was done in the beginning of NTTD trailer,as Craig drives the DB5. The 007 theme can work in a modern Bond film like Craig's....it just depends on how crafty the composer is.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Arnold is a fan of the 007 theme. He hums a bit of it in the Music of Bond documentary in I want to say the AVTAK Special Edition DVD.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 440
    Walecs wrote: »
    I think Skyfall has the best score outside of Barry in the whole series. Absolutely fantastic achievement by Thomas Newman. Everyone has their own opinion with regards to Bond. I utterly detest Die Another Day as a whole, and some folk rate it highly. It's Bond for mouth breathers. Mind boggling to me. Different strokes for different folks...

At least Arnold made a different score for DAD instead of recycling half of his previous score.

That wasn’t Newman’s fault. Sam Mendes and Lee Smith took recording sessions for SF and remixed them into the film as a temp score and liked them so much Mendes decided to keep them in.

Yeah, I always find it such a pity that Newman was never allowed to fully explore what he could do with the Bond sound. Barry and Arnold were allowed to grow and evolve with each subsequent score they did, while Newman was quite literally forced into just making Skyfall 2.0. Sort of sums up a lot the problems with SP tbh.
    The issue was that Brad Bird wanted a 60s style score and Barry felt he had moved away from that, as if doing it would be a step backwards for him. He probably would have just stuck to his contemporary sound he had by then but that’s not what Brad Bird wanted.

Exactly. The thing so many people seem to ignore about John Barry is that his "sound" was constantly changing and evolving.

He clearly liked working on a wide variety of films of different genres and styles and disliked being pigeonholed for the sound of his earliest Bond work.

Let's also not forget that Barry himself neglected to use it as a track in any of the three Bond scores he did after MR.

:Edit: So much of the discourse around Barry on here, reminds me of the old anecdote about the time comic book artist Jack Kirby was shown a collection of drawings by a fan which mimicked his style.

Kirby took one look and told the fan that while the drawings were very nice and he had a lot of skill, truly doing it the "Jack Kirby" style would have been for him to come up with something completely new by himself.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 440
    posted twice by mistake
    posted twice by mistake

No worries, Mr Newman.

I'm not entirely sure if you are being jovial here or actually being serious, but I'll humour this anyway.

Have you not ever heard a tune before being modernised and updated? Have you not heard Arnold's Shaken and Stirred album, with the OHMSS track in particular?

Have you not noticed the difference between the early 60's 007 theme, compared to the 1979 updated MR version?

Have you not noticed the Bond theme being used in TLD (during the pre-credit sequence), which is very different to the 1962 version?
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    With all these new posts, I had hoped we'd have some sort of confirmation of the Romer situation.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Arnold is a fan of the 007 theme. He hums a bit of it in the Music of Bond documentary in I want to say the AVTAK Special Edition DVD.
    Yeah, I meant like a really serious fan of the 007 theme.(am not saying he doesn't like it)If he were a huge,huge fan of the 007 theme, judging by how much homage he paid to Barry in TND, he could easily have added the 007 theme in it. Arnold have always said his favourite Bond films are YOLT & OHMSS. That's why one can see that tracks likes Soviet Capsule/Spectre & Village from YOLT have similarities with Arnold's Night at the Opera from QoS and even the music from his recent N.peal AD.
    As mentioned, Arnold probably couldn’t get the rights to use Barry’s 007 theme. I’m very confident if he had the chance he would have put it in one of his scores as a tip of the hat.
    Except so....maybe he couldn't get the rights. Coz I can't see how a Bond fan like Arnold could have ignored that.
    Except so....maybe he couldn't get the rights. Coz I can't see how a Bond fan like Arnold could have ignored that.

I'm amazed if he couldn't get the rights. Surely all Bond related material is property of EON, even Barry's work?
    vzok wrote: »
    It is unfortunate that Newman gets that blame. Basically how it started was that Lee Smith edited the film with Newman’s SF sessions as a temp score. Mendes thought those certain musical sections of the score worked so great in sync with the footage that he decided to keep them in the final cut, having Newman only work on the selected portions that would have new musical material.

That said, I think some of the recycling works thematicaly in context like Jedi Dench’s M motif reprising, whereas having “Someone Usually Dies” during a Nine Eyes vote is utterly pointless and could have easily just had Newman writing new material reflecting the scene better.

But the parts of SF that were reused were recorded afresh? They sound a bit different.

Basically the raw recordings were used and remixed differently which is why the music cues don’t sound exactly like they did in SF.

Thanks. I didn't know that. That is really recycling.