NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    DJCLE84 wrote: »
    Just imagine if EON decided to use previous cues of Newman’s Bond scores for NTTD like they did with Arnold’s “The Name is Bond”.

why not? it would be just as lazy as Newman recycling the score for SF for half of SP's

@DJCLE84 Newman didn’t recycle anything, that was all Sam Mendes and Lee Smith liking the temp tracks they used for the rough cut and deciding to keep them in instead of having Newman write new material.

This false narrative that Newman lazily recycled his work needs to ****ing die.

well - whoever decision it was, it was lazy... and i am also basing my opinion on the score itself, not just what was used in the movie.. there are parts of SP score that is absolutely fantastic (Donna Lucia for example) but there are other parts that are just straight up lifted from SF's score (like the last half of Backfire) that just take me out of it... Now, whether that was Newman's call or Mendes - you say it was Mendes, which i can believe, since Directors are control freaks over their work, and not one bit of music goes in or out of the movie without their stamp of approval.. it just looks bad because Newman's name is front and center.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It is unfortunate that Newman gets that blame. Basically how it started was that Lee Smith edited the film with Newman’s SF sessions as a temp score. Mendes thought those certain musical sections of the score worked so great in sync with the footage that he decided to keep them in the final cut, having Newman only work on the selected portions that would have new musical material.

That said, I think some of the recycling works thematicaly in context like Jedi Dench’s M motif reprising, whereas having “Someone Usually Dies” during a Nine Eyes vote is utterly pointless and could have easily just had Newman writing new material reflecting the scene better.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2019 Posts: 7,526
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I think I’m the only one who would be excited about a little more Eric Serra in this era :P but if the trailer music is the work of Romer then I’m excited for what is to come!

Serra's GE score has grown on me a ton; I was actually listening to some tracks earlier tonight.

Whispers / Two Faced is some serious musical magic IMO.

Agreed; that's one of my favorite ones. The piano is so nice. The Overture is definitely one of the best tracks too. I even love A Pleasant Drive Through St. Petersburg. Used to not be able to stand it, now I like it a lot. Serra's score was one of the series' most unique, and it really adds to the film's charm for me. I love it.

Whispers / Two Faced and the Overture are the two GoldenEye tracks on my Bond playlist :)
    EDIT: In addition to GoldenEye itself, of course.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    One thing the GE score captured so well, was the Russian atmosphere. Why it isn't universally loved, it's coz I think Serra chose to do it without making full use of the Bond theme. That's why John Altman had to re-score the tank sequence. Although Serra's tank version is good music on it's on without that action scene in mind.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    One thing the GE score captured so well, was the Russian atmosphere. Why it isn't universally loved, it's coz I think Serra chose to do it without making full use of the Bond theme. That's why John Altman had to re-score the tank sequence. Although Serra's tank version is good music on it's on without that action scene in mind.

Fair enough. Personally I would have loved if we had the classic Bond theme for the first minute or so of the chase, then transitioned to the St. Petersburg Drive song by Serra for the bulk of it.
    Yeah, I guess that's something Barry got right in TLD. Re-inventing parts of the Bond theme with the Synth-Pop style, but still retaining the classic Bond theme. Coz TLD I think is a very inventive score by Barry....unlike his previous scores.
    I’m not counting on it, but a potential moment of fanservice that would bring tears for me would be a new rendition of the 007 Theme (I believe last used in the river chase in MR). That is long overdue for a comeback at some point.
    I’m not counting on it, but a potential moment of fanservice that would bring tears for me would be a new rendition of the 007 Theme (I believe last used in the river chase in MR). That is long overdue for a comeback at some point.

We've been hammering that key for years now. I'd love it too. But they seem to be afraid to use it. Some "fans" even say it's cartoonish. I say it's epic as hell, and as Bondian as anything can ever be.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don’t particularly like the 007 theme; I don’t think it really fits all that well. It’s got a slightly dull march quality to it.
    Yeah, the 007 theme was last used & heard in 1979. Would be quite a comeback if it's heard in NTTD in a modern style. am also not counting it. But let's hope for a pleasant surprise in the score. From the trailer Fukunaga knows how to get a fan's attention. So one can only hope Fukunaga guides Romer to go back to old Bond Scores. It's funny how Michael Giacchino is giving The Incredibles a very Bondian/Barry score while it's not entirely present in recent Bond outings. A sound the Bond franchise introduced to the world.
  • I'd love to see the 007 Theme make a return, but think it would seem out of place in a Craig film.
    I'd love to see the 007 Theme make a return, but think it would seem out of place in a Craig film.

It depends on how it is done, and where in the film it is used.

When you look at the disaster trainwreck soundtrack that Newman used, nothing is out of place in a Craig film.
    Yeah, it would seem out of place....if it sounds like the old ones. A modern rendition of the 007 theme might suit Craig , if handled cleverly by a composer. Just like how David Arnold & Propellerheads modernized OHMSS' theme.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Yeah, it would seem out of place....if it sounds like the old ones. A modern rendition of the 007 theme might suit Craig , if handled cleverly by a composer. Just like how David Arnold & Propellerheads modernized OHMSS' theme.
    I'm confused. Isn't Arnold's "The Name's Bond, James Bond" considered a modern rendition of the 007 theme?
    jake24 wrote: »
    I'm confused. Isn't Arnold's "The Name's Bond, James Bond" considered a modern rendition of the 007 theme?

That’s the Bond theme. The 007 theme is a different one altogether introduced in FRWL and last heard in MR.
    I'd love to see the 007 Theme make a return, but think it would seem out of place in a Craig film.

It depends on how it is done, and where in the film it is used.

When you look at the disaster trainwreck soundtrack that Newman used, nothing is out of place in a Craig film.

Yeah...my thoughts too.

That’s the Bond theme. The 007 theme is a different one altogether introduced in FRWL and last heard in MR.

Exactly.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Exactly.
    You mean the one heard last during the MR boat chase? Genuinely didn't realize that's what people were referring to when talking about the "007 theme". I suppose that would be cool, though I definitely don't see it being done especially in Romer's hands.

Exactly.
    You mean the one heard last during the MR boat chase? Genuinely didn't realize that's what people were referring to when talking about the "007 theme". I suppose that would be cool, though I definitely don't see it being done especially in Romer's hands.

Exactly....that's the theme. Yeah, me too....most Bond fans as well can't see Romer doing that. Except he's been told to do it.

Exactly.

Exactly....that's the theme. Yeah, me too....most Bond fans as well can't see Romer doing that. Except he's been told to do it.
    I also just don't really find that theme particularly "dangerous" sounding but I suppose it could be done in the right context.
    It is unfortunate that Newman gets that blame. Basically how it started was that Lee Smith edited the film with Newman’s SF sessions as a temp score. Mendes thought those certain musical sections of the score worked so great in sync with the footage that he decided to keep them in the final cut, having Newman only work on the selected portions that would have new musical material.

That said, I think some of the recycling works thematicaly in context like Jedi Dench’s M motif reprising, whereas having “Someone Usually Dies” during a Nine Eyes vote is utterly pointless and could have easily just had Newman writing new material reflecting the scene better.

But the parts of SF that were reused were recorded afresh? They sound a bit different.

Exactly.

I also just don't really find that theme particularly "dangerous" sounding but I suppose it could be done in the right context.

I’d say it’s more adventurous than dangerous sounding.
    Trading Serra for a hack fraud like David Arnold is one of the greatest tragedies of this film series.

I’m only half joking.
    Hack maybe in parts. Fraud for sure not.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,025
    vzok wrote: »

But the parts of SF that were reused were recorded afresh? They sound a bit different.

Basically the raw recordings were used and remixed differently which is why the music cues don’t sound exactly like they did in SF.

Exactly.

Yeah, 'The right context'. A modern sound can be created around it, but still letting fans feel & know it's the '007 theme'. It might not even be a full rendition of it, a composer can just add parts of it to his score.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Exactly.

Yeah it's not hugely exciting or tense. It's more triumphant, and there aren't many scenes where that would work (where the Bond theme itself wouldn't be better).
    I just don't really like it.

Exactly.

I’d say it’s more adventurous than dangerous sounding.

It is...indeed. But I think it's still a fan favourite. my favourite rendition of it is in FRWL...During the gypsy camp shootout & and Bond gets the Lektor. I think Barry did it playfully in MR to suit Moore's lighter take on Bond.
    There hasn’t really been a scene since arguably the GE tank chase that called for a more triumphant cue, as nothing was particularly dangerous or tense in that action scene, it was just Bond plowing through like an unstoppable force.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think many here are underestimating just how flexible that "007 Theme" is; it could very easily be adapted into any of the modern films.

I've always held out hope for its return. A cracking Barry number.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,025
    The way I see it is that if a Barry fanboy like Arnold couldn’t bring it back no one will.