No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Still not very keen on Bond having a child (if that’s how this all plays out). I hope it’s properly executed.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Still not very keen on Bond having a child (if that’s how this all plays out). I hope it’s properly executed.
    This is how I feel too @DonnyDB5 - we'll have to see :)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    They're about to open theaters in Florida at 50% capacity starting Friday.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I feel that EON might be looking to sell the rights after Bond 25 is released, and if that's the case then they might kill off Bond in the last film to kind of close the book on their reign as Bond producers. Then is would be a perfectly clean slate for someone else to take over and start from scratch.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I feel that EON might be looking to sell the rights after Bond 25 is released, and if that's the case then they might kill off Bond in the last film to kind of close the book on their reign as Bond producers. Then is would be a perfectly clean slate for someone else to take over and start from scratch.
    I don't think so @Mendes4Lyfe. We got this guy to look forward to :)

maxresdefault.jpg
    After the Craig era, and especially the troubles surrounding NTTD I can easily see Barbara and Michael throwing in the towel and selling. I don't think things are going to continue business as usual post Craig. A much longer gap next time than even this current hiatus, then one offs.
    Supposing Barbara and Michael sell Bond, I envision new producers caving into studio demands and casting who ever is popular at that moment as Bond. For instance, back in the '90's Val Kilmer was getting all sorts of roles: Batman The Saint, Tombstone, etc.
    Ten years ago it was Robert Downey Jr. I think the next Bond as cast by a new studio will be the 2030's/ 2040's equivalent to that regardless of their suitability for the role.
    Someone wrote: »
    Having seen this, either that 4chan leaked plot is somewhat accurate or whoever dreamt it up made a pretty good guess...

The plot, following the clapperboards, isn't that hard to piece together. I wrote this up last year.
    https://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/964203/#p964203

Do you think you could quickly give an updated rundown of the plot with this new info that we have?

I wrote this this year, and it's basically all there.
    https://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/970969/#p970969

The only two changes are the Vantage doesn't get destroyed and that's why we see Madeleine with the child in it at the film's end, and Bond dies.

She's a clone of Madeleine.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Not certain. And Bond jumping off the bridge in Matera in the trailer definitely doesn’t look like someone faking his own death.
    Denbigh wrote: »

maxresdefault.jpg
    I don't think any serious person is looking forward to Gregg Wilson taking over the franchise. If Barbara Broccoli stays, I would 100% prefer her producing alone.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The_Return wrote: »

maxresdefault.jpg
    I don't think any serious person is looking forward to Gregg Wilson taking over the franchise.
    What makes you say that?

maxresdefault.jpg
    I don't think any serious person is looking forward to Gregg Wilson taking over the franchise.
    What makes you say that?
    Knowing how often Barbara and Michael had to clean up his mess, I don't trust him.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    i have an older picture of the land cruiser with waht appears to be a dummy in the back seat, as well as the fiirst trailer where everyone already suspects that the person with Bond in the cruiser is not madeleine, however the one in the first trailer looks much older than 5.

Clone theoryreally is looking likely.

It can't be a clone....surely we would be in DAD territory here. Using cloning has a whiff of changing the DNA of a North Korean Colonel into Toby Stephens....a bit too sci-fi for 007

76488105ed5803cf02d5406b50aca57ef648ddfa.gifv

I'm convinced that Bond will be Mathilde's father and that he will die saving her at the end of the film. Hence, why it is only Madeline and Mathilde in the car at the end.

Kinda like Logan

tenor.gif?itemid=8136009

Could end with that, and at the same time setting up for a new actor playing Bond in the future. But then again, why kill off Bond.

They have only replaced him in the past with other actors and we accept that but not so sure we would accept a dead bond at all, and then a fresh start.

You just reboot and start again from scratch....with this guy preferably:

nolan-bond.png

I'm a big believer that the Craig series is self-enclosed saga within the franchise. It had a clear beginning, middle and now it needs an end. The series can then reboot and start again totally anew.

Absolutely...

Why do people think Nolan would be good for 007? I've always felt his films are emotionally distant and his action sequences, when compared to OHMSS, lack the panache and dash needed for James Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Movie theaters’ "full-on rhythm" won’t return until 2022, Cinemark CEO says.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/movie-theaters-return-2022-cinemark-ceo-coronavirus-1202949956/
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

Not certain. And Bond jumping off the bridge in Matera in the trailer definitely doesn’t look like someone faking his own death.

Bond lands hard on the first level of that bridge, then making his way through a tunnel or maybe room, kicking up a door and out..

He can still fake his own death of course

Bond lands hard on the first level of that bridge

His landing under the Matera bridge is seen in one of the TV spots.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,343
    So the girl called Mathilda is 5 years old. Since 5 years passed between SP/Matera and Bond in Jamaica is basically confirmed that this girl is Bond and Swann’s daughter and not a clone of Madeleine. I’m pretty happy with that. Plus, it seems clear that Bond is not with them in the end when mother and daughter go back to Matera. He could be “Logan” dead or presumed dead à la YOLT as well...

P.S. In the interview the kid says that they asked her to look down at the rocky ground while being In Swann’s harms. Could be something related to Bond’s fate. If you ask me anyway Bond will not die in a definitive way. To me a more subtle “death” is far more likely. Bear in mind that the film ends with the “JB will return card” (Fukunaga said that). It would be way off to show Bond’s corpse from this point of view and that’s why I believe and ending that draws inspiration from YOLT seems more plausible.

Knowing that the girl is his daughter that won’t ever happen. The main reason why Barbara scrapped Haggis’s idea of Vesper having a child in QoS was because they believed that James wouldn’t ever abandon a child from the person he loves... and that’s why he’s an orphan as well.

On the other hand he could fake his death (like Bruce in TDKR) in order to have a “perfect way out” From his life as an assassin and reunite with Madeleine and Mathilda in the end in Matera. Which sounds definitely possible as well. Maybe that’s what you were thinking too.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 3,018

@Someone Nope. On the first level. I have the BTS stills taken by a local guy. He didn't know how to transfer them from phone to computer so the size is not best or quality for that matter:

46xYKVX.jpg
    Lq6HqJW.jpg
    w3HiGDp.jpg
    qwffMGd.jpg
    OyNWqjb.jpg
    yEdUHy9.jpg

Trailer screencaps:
    efuHt3T.jpg
    tYXuiwI.jpg
    4eujXw9.jpg

His bad photos of the producers presentation to local authorities
    05hh8lT.jpg
    tMihJBM.jpg
    pdJhCxC.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    delfloria wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    i have an older picture of the land cruiser with waht appears to be a dummy in the back seat, as well as the fiirst trailer where everyone already suspects that the person with Bond in the cruiser is not madeleine, however the one in the first trailer looks much older than 5.

Clone theoryreally is looking likely.

It can't be a clone....surely we would be in DAD territory here. Using cloning has a whiff of changing the DNA of a North Korean Colonel into Toby Stephens....a bit too sci-fi for 007

76488105ed5803cf02d5406b50aca57ef648ddfa.gifv

I'm convinced that Bond will be Mathilde's father and that he will die saving her at the end of the film. Hence, why it is only Madeline and Mathilde in the car at the end.

Kinda like Logan

tenor.gif?itemid=8136009

Could end with that, and at the same time setting up for a new actor playing Bond in the future. But then again, why kill off Bond.

They have only replaced him in the past with other actors and we accept that but not so sure we would accept a dead bond at all, and then a fresh start.

You just reboot and start again from scratch....with this guy preferably:

nolan-bond.png

I'm a big believer that the Craig series is self-enclosed saga within the franchise. It had a clear beginning, middle and now it needs an end. The series can then reboot and start again totally anew.

Absolutely...

Why do people think Nolan would be good for 007? I've always felt his films are emotionally distant and his action sequences, when compared to OHMSS, lack the panache and dash needed for James Bond.

My “Absolutely “ meant support for a complete reboot ; I’m neutral concerning Nolan.
    matt_u wrote: »
    So the girl called Mathilda is 5 years old. Since 5 years passed between SP/Matera and Bond in Jamaica is basically confirmed that this girl is Bond and Swann’s daughter and not a clone of Madeleine.

Five year old clone.

Nope. On the first level. I have the BTS stills taken by a local guy

Oh, could you be more pedantic. He lands under the bit people drive and walk on. Yeesh.
    So the girl called Mathilda is 5 years old. Since 5 years passed between SP/Matera and Bond in Jamaica is basically confirmed that this girl is Bond and Swann’s daughter and not a clone of Madeleine. I’m pretty happy with that. Plus, it seems clear that Bond is not with them in the end when mother and daughter go back to Matera. He could be “Logan” dead or presumed dead à la YOLT as well...

P.S. In the interview the kid says that they asked her to look down at the rocky ground while being In Swann’s harms. Could be something related to Bond’s fate. If you ask me anyway Bond will not die in a definitive way. To me a more subtle “death” is far more likely. Bear in mind that the film ends with the “JB will return card” (Fukunaga said that). It would be way off to show Bond’s corpse from this point of view and that’s why I believe and ending that draws inspiration from YOLT seems more plausible.

Knowing that the girl is his daughter that won’t ever happen. The main reason why Barbara scrapped Haggis’s idea of Vesper having a child in QoS was because they believed that James wouldn’t ever abandon a child from the person he loves... and that’s why he’s an orphan as well.

On the other hand he could fake his death (like Bruce in TDKR) in order to have a “perfect way out” From his life as an assassin and reunite with Madeleine and Mathilda in the end in Matera. Which sounds definitely possible as well. Maybe that’s what you were thinking too.

Actually don't know what I was thinking. But at least that sounds plausible with Bond faking in order to reunite with the girls at the end.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

maxresdefault.jpg
    What makes you say that?
    Knowing how often Barbara and Michael had to clean up his mess, I don't trust him.

What mess?
  • matt_u wrote: »

My guess is Bond will die (or appear dead) with a little wink or easter egg to suggest he's still alive. The cast and crew have repeated a few times that the film is about family, and children/childhood are a prevalent theme in CJF's filmography so it checks out.

Oh, could you be more pedantic. He lands under the bit people drive and walk on. Yeesh.

Just admit it. You we're wrong.

Anyway. He comes out here:

8yzUprw.jpg
    RiZ6f8Q.jpg
    LhDkoUG.jpg
    w83Ho5b.jpg
  • Contraband wrote: »

@Someone Nope. On the first level. I have the BTS stills taken by a local guy. He didn't know how to transfer them from phone to computer so the size is not best or quality for that matter:

46xYKVX.jpg
    Lq6HqJW.jpg
    w3HiGDp.jpg
    qwffMGd.jpg
    OyNWqjb.jpg
    yEdUHy9.jpg

Trailer screencaps:
    efuHt3T.jpg
    tYXuiwI.jpg
    4eujXw9.jpg

His bad photos of the producers presentation to local authorities
    05hh8lT.jpg
    tMihJBM.jpg
    pdJhCxC.jpg

I think the sequencing is off here. Bond still has his tie when he jumps off the bridge, he later removes it when he's fighting Primo, and the bike/car chases follow after, ending with Bond taking Madeleine to the train station where she leaves.

My guess is Bond will die (or appear dead) with a little wink or easter egg to suggest he's still alive. The cast and crew have repeated a few times that the film is about family, and children/childhood are a prevalent theme in CJF's filmography so it checks out.

I think this may be it...It would be hugely bold of them to actually 'kill' James Bond.

However, regardless of what happens next NTTD may force them to reboot regardless. You can't have Bond back at MI6 in the next movie if he's married with a child. You just can't forget such a major plot point. It would have to be addressed.

Much in the same way how Tom Cruise got married in Mission Impossible 3. They tried to brush it away in Ghost Protocol but soon enough it just stuck out as a plot point.

In this respect, I think Bond will die properly. The plan then would be to have a blank slate for Bond 26. New Bond, Q, M, Moneypenny. A new reboot.

I think Craig even hints here that this film ends his story as Bond....maybe hinting at Bond's death?

The fact that MI6-HQ would go out of its way to Tweet referencing this (forum-specific spoiler discussion, near as I can tell) suggests to me some validation and confirmation that the principal theory being discussed about the character's identity is indeed true.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Just admit it. You we're wrong.

Anyway. He comes out here:

8yzUprw.jpg
    RiZ6f8Q.jpg
    LhDkoUG.jpg
    w83Ho5b.jpg

Ah that's cool: I don't remember seeing that bit before but I'm sure I didn't connect it to the bridge if I did.

I'm leaning toward a TDKR-style "death" at this point, too.

Actually offing him (or cliffhanger-style, like the the FRWL novel) would just seem too...crushing, from a brand perspective? If that makes sense?

There's (generally speaking) a series tenet about always leaving the crowd smiling and pumped as they leave the cinema following a 007 film. A lesson (perhaps?) learned after OHMSS' climax - and a strategy explicitly executed in multiple times in the Craig era.

Examples: CR is a similar tragedy in scale to OHMSS, but a point is made to cement the film's coda with the iconic "The Name's Bond, James Bond" moment + rousing return/rendition of the Norman theme. Skyfall's tragic and emotionally impactful trajectory is capped with a similar coda: the return of M's iconic office, Moneypenny's reveal, Bond's spiritual rebuilding, and the (literally) same sample of Norman music.

If the Craig approach could be said to have a 'formula' and NTTD follows it, I'd expect (and you could possibly say hope) for something similar.
    Bond finds out he's a father, appears to give his life to protect Madeleine and the child, and the audience feels the full emotional impact of the character fulfilling his arc in the most heroic way -- only to get the last-minute reveal, assisted by Monty Norman, that he's actually made it and now has a legitimate chance at the happiness and belonging which has long-eluded this iteration of the character.