No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah he’s great as Q; I’ve seen other spy things try to do the ‘young geek’ thing before (although he’s not as young as he looks!) but he gives it real freshness and makes it his own. And I think audiences have really taken to him (although don’t look at the disturbing fan art on tumblr! Yikes! :D )

Likewise as mentioned above, Harris is fantastic as Moneypenny and I’m rather sad a spin-off has been ruled out- I really think she could do it. Hopefully she’ll stay although I think she’s perhaps less likely to. Fingers crossed though.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »

I've always liked Ben's Q! :-c

Same.

I think Wishaw's Q is a very strong addition to the MI6 crew. He's a very good actor and he combines geek with charm exceptionally well. I hope they keep him on board for the next batch of Bonds with a different lead.

Indeed....I would really like him to remain as Q for decades to come. Although I don't know if Harris might carry on as Moneypenny for long(Sadly coz of her age). Since Moneypenny's Repartee with Bond has something of an unacomplished tryst about it, it might need a younger actress.

Harris could probably stay on for another era, especially if her role was reduced for the next actor. She looks a lot younger than 43 imo.

Plus, Lois Maxwell was older than Connery, and they had great chemistry. In fact, her not being younger than him likely had something to do with why it was so good!

She's 43? I thought she was not older than 35. I can't see why she can't stay as M's secretary. At the end of Skyfall she said she fit better behind a desk than being on field, so there's no reason she's got to go even after she got older.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Walecs wrote: »

Same.

I think Wishaw's Q is a very strong addition to the MI6 crew. He's a very good actor and he combines geek with charm exceptionally well. I hope they keep him on board for the next batch of Bonds with a different lead.

Indeed....I would really like him to remain as Q for decades to come. Although I don't know if Harris might carry on as Moneypenny for long(Sadly coz of her age). Since Moneypenny's Repartee with Bond has something of an unacomplished tryst about it, it might need a younger actress.

Harris could probably stay on for another era, especially if her role was reduced for the next actor. She looks a lot younger than 43 imo.

Plus, Lois Maxwell was older than Connery, and they had great chemistry. In fact, her not being younger than him likely had something to do with why it was so good!

She's 43? I thought she was not older than 35. I can't see why she can't stay as M's secretary. At the end of Skyfall she said she fit better behind a desk than being on field, so there's no reason she's got to go even after she got older.

Agreed 100%. I liked her a lot in SF. Not so much in SP, but that had little to do with Harris herself. Would gladly keep her as long as she wants the part. Same goes for Wishaw and Fiennes.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    Yeah, I would really love Harris to stay. But Moneypenny actors not crossing over to the next era, started from Caroline Bliss. I don't know whether Bliss wasn't that good an actress OR coz of age. Might be both or probably the former. Maybe age had to do with Samantha Bond's Moneypenny not crossing over easily like Judi dench's M. Coz I think Samantha was Better than Bliss.

Same.

I agree. And I never thought I'd say that when he was first cast. In fact I thought Desmond Llewelyn could not and should not be replaced
  • New photo from CJF's Instagram...

So do we think that Matera is the PTS?

I think the film opens with the Norway flashback. But will that be the entire PTS? Or will it be a 5 minute opener that cuts to Madeleine waking up from a nightmare in Matera.

I can't see the opening not being Bond focussed. Even if it means the PTS is 20 minutes long again.
    New photo from CJF's Instagram...

So do we think that Matera is the PTS?

I think the film opens with the Norway flashback. But will that be the entire PTS? Or will it be a 5 minute opener that cuts to Madeleine waking up from a nightmare in Matera.

I can't see the opening not being Bond focussed. Even if it means the PTS is 20 minutes long again.

Yeah, I think the last couple of Bond films featured big openings but a somewhat minimal climax buildup & finale(Except SF). I wouldn't mind if NTTD features a suspense-filled PTS without Bond, while we get bigger scenes with Bond after the PTS.
  • I have the unpleasant feeling that the bike jump and bonds jump from the bridge are the stunts they are most proud of
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    danielcc wrote: »
    I have the unpleasant feeling that the bike jump and bonds jump from the bridge are the stunts they are most proud of

And that's not ok because...
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I have the unpleasant feeling that the bike jump and bonds jump from the bridge are the stunts they are most proud of

And that's not ok because...

Some fans want Bond to go bigger I guess, especially in light with Cruise doing insane stunts himself. Maybe it that was actually Craig on the bike it would be a bigger deal.

I don’t really care. Stunts are icing on the cake, not the main attraction for me.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Remember when a big stunt in Bond constituted whacking a tarantula with your shoe, and a car rolling down a hill? Ahhhh, those were the days.
    Minion wrote: »
    Remember when a big stunt in Bond constituted whacking a tarantula with your shoe, and a car rolling down a hill? Ahhhh, those were the days.

The helicopter stunt in FRWL would probably be seen as quaint if done today.
    Yeah, I would really love Harris to stay. But Moneypenny actors not crossing over to the next era, started from Caroline Bliss. I don't know whether Bliss wasn't that good an actress OR coz of age. Might be both or probably the former. Maybe age had to do with Samantha Bond's Moneypenny not crossing over easily like Judi dench's M. Coz I think Samantha was Better than Bliss.
    Samantha Bond not crossing over had a lot to with MP not at all being in CR and QoS, so I don´t think it can be seen as a new tradition that the actress doesn´t cross over. The last three MPs were conceived very differently from one another. It´s hard to judge Caroline Bliss´ acting capabilities based on the little she was given by the script. Samantha Bond was tailored as a kind of antagonist to Brosnan. Craig is a very different Bond from Brosnan, so it´s only logical they thought of a different MP for his films. The Bond´s before Dalton didn´t change so drastically, so it was no big deal to keep Lois Maxwell, and I´m endlessly thankful for that, because I think Maxwell is the best Bond girl there ever was.
    In light of the above I´d say MP will change again once a new Bond actor will enter. M and Q have different relationships with Bond, so they can easily stay, and I hope they will for a long period.

Samantha Bond said she would only play Moneypenny until Brosnan finished the role, as she felt flirting with a Bond younger than her would be awkward. The fact there was no Moneypenny in CR and QOS was coincidental.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,247
    I think James Bond was the first to take Stunts to another level. To accomplish those stunts in the 60s, 70s & 80s in particular was no easy feat. Some filmmakers today still copy some Bond stunts. The opening of The dark knight rises was straight out of LTK's PTS(one good example)and there are still lots of them. I have friends who are casual Bond fans. If they can't remember a title of a Bond film, they are like 'The one he steps on Crocodiles' then I know it's Live and let die. I think every Bond film has a stunt that no other film has done before. I also think stunts give the Bond films an identity....With a Stellar plot accompanying the stunts too.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I was accused of "hysteria" when merely pointing out that Bond films don't have to be kid-friendly. But what is this Lashana thing then if not hysteria? So far, I've read nothing but really positive comments about Lashana. I don't think anyone here is threatened by her presence. We're wasting our breath on perhaps a member or two--at most.

I think she's going to be amazing. I myself am simply not attracted to her, but that's not a big issue since I'm not attracted to Camille or Paris or Triple-X either. I can still love a character, a performance, a presence. And I'm sure I'll enjoy everything Lashana brings to NTTD. But I don't have to call her a good-looking woman if she isn't in my book.

A colleague of mine went berserk when I told her how I felt about Lashana's looks last Friday. "O . M . G! You're only saying that because she's BLACK!" I'm sorry, what? I think Sissy Spacek is an unattractive woman; I find Shelley Duvall flat-out ugly. So now I don't like my own skin colour either? What does one have to do with the other? Talk about 'hysteria'. Also, my dark-skinned girlfriend had to laugh hard when I told her.

That doesn't mean I cannot respect an actress or appreciate what she brings. But I don't have to resort to "inner beauty" nonsense either. It's showbiz. Looks alone can make a star, even if she or he doesn't have any true acting talent. The opposite is also true; you can be the ugliest person on stage but blow us all away with an amazing performance.

Now, I'm not saying that Lashana is ugly; I just don't find her a very good-looking addition to the realm of Bond girls. That may change, though. Still, don't get angry with me, please. I'm glad she's here and I'm admiring her already. She may end up being one of the best things in NTTD. I've always supported the choice to bring her in. I thought her better than Brie in Captain Marvel, even if Brie is the more attractive one in my book. And this has absolutely nothing to do with skin colour. I've seen lots of '70s flicks with Pam Grier and let me tell you, she a whooole lotta woman; the white girls paled in comparison. (Yeah, pun very much intended.)

But like I said, so far, this forum seems very pleased with Lashana.

From my perspective, I find Lashana attractive sometimes, but less so overall than your average Bond girl. That said, I must stress that: 1)it truly depends of what she wears and how she is presented and 2)as someone said before, she has to look believable as a 00. A manicured supermodel would looks ridiculous as an operative. Yes, Lashana has stronger hips and shoulders, but that's what is expect from a woman in her line of work.

And I'd also add that I find her far more attractive, albeit in an unconventional way, than May Day, Tiffany Case, Way Lin, Christmas Jones, to name just a few.
    Regardless of Lynch´s qualification, why do you say a manicured supermodel would look ridiculous as an operative? If we were talking about special forces stuff, then I would very much agree, but isn´t a 00 supposed to gather intelligence very much? In fact, a manicured supermodel probably would have no problem to get into a lot of places and meet a lot of people ordinary men and women wouldn´t get access to at all.
    If I´m splitting hair say so ;-).

Well, a 00 must also be able to use firearms and carry on assassinations. I find Lashana a more believable looking operative than say Halle Berry.

Halle Berry looks more athletic than Lashana Lynch even now at more than 50 years of age.

halle-berry-in-skintight-workout-gear-10-08-2019-8.jpg
    boldfinger wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I was accused of "hysteria" when merely pointing out that Bond films don't have to be kid-friendly. But what is this Lashana thing then if not hysteria? So far, I've read nothing but really positive comments about Lashana. I don't think anyone here is threatened by her presence. We're wasting our breath on perhaps a member or two--at most.

I think she's going to be amazing. I myself am simply not attracted to her, but that's not a big issue since I'm not attracted to Camille or Paris or Triple-X either. I can still love a character, a performance, a presence. And I'm sure I'll enjoy everything Lashana brings to NTTD. But I don't have to call her a good-looking woman if she isn't in my book.

A colleague of mine went berserk when I told her how I felt about Lashana's looks last Friday. "O . M . G! You're only saying that because she's BLACK!" I'm sorry, what? I think Sissy Spacek is an unattractive woman; I find Shelley Duvall flat-out ugly. So now I don't like my own skin colour either? What does one have to do with the other? Talk about 'hysteria'. Also, my dark-skinned girlfriend had to laugh hard when I told her.

That doesn't mean I cannot respect an actress or appreciate what she brings. But I don't have to resort to "inner beauty" nonsense either. It's showbiz. Looks alone can make a star, even if she or he doesn't have any true acting talent. The opposite is also true; you can be the ugliest person on stage but blow us all away with an amazing performance.

Now, I'm not saying that Lashana is ugly; I just don't find her a very good-looking addition to the realm of Bond girls. That may change, though. Still, don't get angry with me, please. I'm glad she's here and I'm admiring her already. She may end up being one of the best things in NTTD. I've always supported the choice to bring her in. I thought her better than Brie in Captain Marvel, even if Brie is the more attractive one in my book. And this has absolutely nothing to do with skin colour. I've seen lots of '70s flicks with Pam Grier and let me tell you, she a whooole lotta woman; the white girls paled in comparison. (Yeah, pun very much intended.)

But like I said, so far, this forum seems very pleased with Lashana.

From my perspective, I find Lashana attractive sometimes, but less so overall than your average Bond girl. That said, I must stress that: 1)it truly depends of what she wears and how she is presented and 2)as someone said before, she has to look believable as a 00. A manicured supermodel would looks ridiculous as an operative. Yes, Lashana has stronger hips and shoulders, but that's what is expect from a woman in her line of work.

And I'd also add that I find her far more attractive, albeit in an unconventional way, than May Day, Tiffany Case, Way Lin, Christmas Jones, to name just a few.
    Regardless of Lynch´s qualification, why do you say a manicured supermodel would look ridiculous as an operative? If we were talking about special forces stuff, then I would very much agree, but isn´t a 00 supposed to gather intelligence very much? In fact, a manicured supermodel probably would have no problem to get into a lot of places and meet a lot of people ordinary men and women wouldn´t get access to at all.
    If I´m splitting hair say so ;-).

Well, a 00 must also be able to use firearms and carry on assassinations. I find Lashana a more believable looking operative than say Halle Berry.

Halle Berry looks more athletic than Lashana Lynch even now at more than 50 years of age.

halle-berry-in-skintight-workout-gear-10-08-2019-8.jpg

Halle is gorgeous*, now if she had been cast as Nomi instead...

* She's a supberb actress too, thought she deserved more recognition for Things We Lost In The Fire.
    It's all a matter of taste.

Are we really going to whine about her looks until after we saw NTTD?

Some no doubt will…
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2019 Posts: 13,894

Some no doubt will…

Does whining about the whining help? :-? Fans still complain about Dalton's hair in LTK, and that was 30 years ago.
    And Sir Rog’s aging. And Connery’s weight in DAF.

Honest opinion: Lazenby’s ears always looked weird to me. I’ve never seen ears quite shaped like that on anyone else.
    And Sir Rog’s aging. And Connery’s weight in DAF.

Honest opinion: Lazenby’s ears always looked weird to me. I’ve never seen ears quite shaped like that on anyone else.

Good points. I, myself, have been guilty of the former two.
  • Minion wrote: »

In fact DN is my favourite Bond but there were enough complaints about the pack of great stunts and action set pieces in the Mendes Bonds. So I was hoping especially after Fallout that they would come up with something creative.
  • RC7RC7
    Minion wrote: »

In fact DN is my favourite Bond but there were enough complaints about the pack of great stunts and action set pieces in the Mendes Bonds. So I was hoping especially after Fallout that they would come up with something creative.

Fallout shmallout.
    Bond fans: “Bond films shouldn’t follow trends of other films!”

Also Bond Fans: “They should just do what M:I did!”

Some no doubt will…

Does whining about the whining help? :-? Fans still complain about Dalton's hair in LTK, and that was 30 years ago.

I guess I just like to whine about whining. :-?

Some no doubt will…

Does whining about the whining help? :-?

Maybe!

They should just be like M:I, but also not. Problem solved!
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 5,767
    Samantha Bond said she would only play Moneypenny until Brosnan finished the role, as she felt flirting with a Bond younger than her would be awkward. The fact there was no Moneypenny in CR and QOS was coincidental.
    From her point of view.

Some no doubt will…
    And there are others who praise her without having seen the film. So what? That´s what we´re here for. Talking about stuff we can´t talk about to normal people ;-).
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited December 2019 Posts: 3,018
    Yesterday evening - Pinewood Studios Christmas ball

That ice cream maker also wrote: "garbanzos_ice_cream All set to go at the Pinewood Studios Christmas ball! Will Daniel Craig make a secret appearance... #007 #selfiemirror #xmasparty #chocolatefountain #eventshire #london #southwest"

Can we find pictures, videos/insta stories on the net possibly?
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

:))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Contraband wrote: »
    Yesterday evening - Pinewood Studios Christmas ball

That ice cream maker also wrote: "garbanzos_ice_cream All set to go at the Pinewood Studios Christmas ball! Will Daniel Craig make a secret appearance... #007 #selfiemirror #xmasparty #chocolatefountain #eventshire #london #southwest"

Can we find pictures, videos/insta stories on the net possibly?

The answer is probably: no, he lives in New York and not some weirdly rural bit of very north London! :)