No Time to Die production thread (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

Since62 wrote: »
    Just watching that video of DC serves as a brief reminder that the next portrayal -- not just the player but the script, direction and all else -- will have to be FANTASTIC to move things on.

Absolutely right. The journeyman era is over.

It's true that Bond films have been turned into "prestige pictures," and increasingly demand huge talent, both sides of the camera.

But all that talent doesn't come cheap, and if the 'Blockbuster age' is ending, one wonders where the budgets will come from. . .

Blockbuster age isn’t ending. Quite the opposite. We are entering into terminal blockbuster mode where cinemas only carry blockbusters while lower key stuff goes to streaming.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Craig looks phenomenal.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Just watching that video of DC serves as a brief reminder that the next portrayal -- not just the player but the script, direction and all else -- will have to be FANTASTIC to move things on.

Perhaps. But it is important to note that Daniel Craig was virtually a "nobody" when cast as Bond 16 years ago.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Off topic: Full video (HQ) with the Aston Martin F1 launch, with Gemma Arterton as one of the presenters. Daniel's message starts at 17:15

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Wattenscheid
    octofinger wrote: »

It's true that Bond films have been turned into "prestige pictures," and increasingly demand huge talent, both sides of the camera.

But all that talent doesn't come cheap, and if the 'Blockbuster age' is ending, one wonders where the budgets will come from. . .

If Bond doesn't have the budget, nobody has it, apart from maybe Disney. Ergo there just wouldn't be much of a market for talent above what Eon is willing to pay. And lower budgets don't have to be a bad thing. Sometimes it can breed creativity and attract people who are more interested in making a good film than getting that Bond cheque.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 3 Posts: 6,737
    TripAces wrote: »

Perhaps. But it is important to note that Daniel Craig was virtually a "nobody" when cast as Bond 16 years ago.

No, not really. He was starring in movies, the sort of films he was interested in, as well as several prestige TV series which he headlined in; he was a pretty big name in drama circles. I certainly knew his name beforehand: I was surprised when it came up. He was making a few Hollywood movies too even if they weren't great stuff. He was probably a more credible name than the previous two actors (even Dalton, who I know has the 'Shakespearian' epithet but was really making episodes of Charlies Angels, potboiling US mini series and naff comic book movies :) ).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    octofinger wrote: »

If Bond doesn't have the budget, nobody has it, apart from maybe Disney. Ergo there just wouldn't be much of a market for talent above what Eon is willing to pay. And lower budgets don't have to be a bad thing. Sometimes it can breed creativity and attract people who are more interested in making a good film than getting that Bond cheque.

Spectre had a budget that was around 40% more than Mission Impossible Rogue Nation the same year (MI's budget was $150m), and although you can see where that money went in places, equally in terms of spectacle it's not like the MI film was lacking all that much. It does make you wonder if Bond couldn't take a lower budget.

And I know some of that is marketing, but that's where the product placement is supposed to help out isn't it?
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Contraband wrote: »

He looks like he was forced to do that...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well it seems unlikely he'd volunteer: "Instead of phoning my mum I must publicly wish that big luxury car brand well on their entry into a megarich sport" :D
    I was thinking he seems a bit croaky there even, but it's no business of mine :)
    Off topic: Full video (HQ) with the Aston Martin F1 launch, with Gemma Arterton as one of the presenters. Daniel's message starts at 17:15

I detected a little bitterness from Gemma after Daniel's well wishes. (Am I reading into that too much?)
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Nahh she just said his name as if she was saying hello to him
    QsCat wrote: »
    Nahh she just said his name as if she was saying hello to him

I have watched it a few times, now. I dunno. Kind of odd. "Daniel Crehhheg...thank you for that wonderful message." She did an odd twist of the head with her arms stiffening on "...that wonderful message." Then again, she seems uncomfortable with the whole thing. LOL.

I detected a little bitterness from Gemma after Daniel's well wishes. (Am I reading into that too much?)

No.

She has recently spoken out against her QoS role saying she wished she had never taken it. I guess at a time when Bond could be viewed as 'toxic masculinity' an actress might want to distance themselves from the franchise. But she'll happily take Aston Martin's money.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Someone wrote: »

No.

She has recently spoken out against her QoS role saying she wished she had never taken it. I guess at a time when Bond could be viewed as 'toxic masculinity' an actress might want to distance themselves from the franchise. But she'll happily take Aston Martin's money.

That’s not exactly hypocritical. And just because she thinks Bond women roles could be better it also doesn’t follow that she bears any grudge against Craig.
  • edited March 4 Posts: 570
    I’ve been told by vital sources that Bond says “y’all” in this movie.

If true that will annoy me.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited March 4 Posts: 230
    In light of the thread about our favorite “moments” in each Bond film, something tells me that the Jamaica scenes in NTTD will have some of the best scenery/landscape moments, lifestyle moments, Bond being Bond moments, probably some light humor thrown in. Cannot wait!

Maybe when he kills Logan?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 4 Posts: 6,737
    Matt007 wrote: »

Ddi it annoy you when Dalton's Bond called someone 'old buddy'? :)

He tells the villain he’ll straight up snatch his wig. And calls him ratchet.

mtm wrote: »

No because that was said with a sense of irony.

I hated the mid Atlantic “ahm checkin’ out” in Die another day too
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

How is it being said in NTTD then?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 5 Posts: 6,270

He tells the villain he’ll straight up snatch his wig. And calls him ratchet.

An Academy Award for screenwriting surely must be on its way?
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

With a deep voice, from the stomach.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think he'll be using his lips and mouth, myself.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Perhaps, but I think a deep, stomach voice would put more emphasis on Bond's toxic masculinity.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    She's so damn beautiful

Ffs fill in the gaps and stop baiting me please.

Clearly if it’s in the same way I won’t mind. I don’t like the Americanisation of bond is what I’m saying.