No Time to Die production thread (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

1101710181020102210231213

Comments

  • Posts: 365
    Benny wrote: »
    Maybe I'm in the minority with this, but the year in which the current Bond film takes place hasn't been an issue for me. It doesn't add anything to the story, If in GE I'm told Bond and Caroline driving in Monaco in the DB5 is nine years after the events of the pts, then...ok.
    I'm an often easily pleased Bond fan in many respects.

    I'm in the same boat as you.

    QOS having 2008 stamped on every calendar, document, and computer despite ostensibly taking place 5 minutes after a movie that ended in 2006 was the biggest sign that despite the Craig years being more continuity heavy, it's still a floating timeline.
  • edited March 11 Posts: 100
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I won't be surprised if the next Bond doesn't use the DB5 at all, throughout his era...I think EON might keep it for the 8th Bond actor, so the DB5 regains its mythic status again.

    I imagine it's going to get destroyed again in this one, hence Bond returns to London in the Vantage, so you may well be right.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 11 Posts: 20,010
    Benny wrote: »
    Maybe I'm in the minority with this, but the year in which the current Bond film takes place hasn't been an issue for me. It doesn't add anything to the story, If in GE I'm told Bond and Caroline driving in Monaco in the DB5 is nine years after the events of the pts, then...ok.
    I'm an often easily pleased Bond fan in many respects.

    Words of wisdom, @Benny. There's a certain level of scrutiny that can only suck the fun out of a Bond movie. Our mission is to just roll with it. For example: I understand that iPhones and Smartphones change models faster than lightspeed and that product placement in a newly released Bond film is a big deal, but I hope this is not the sort of thing people will factor in when evaluating NTTD after the fact. "That model is soooo not 2021," is not the sort of complaint I will have a lot of patience for... ;-)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 11 Posts: 8,821
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    Maybe I'm in the minority with this, but the year in which the current Bond film takes place hasn't been an issue for me. It doesn't add anything to the story, If in GE I'm told Bond and Caroline driving in Monaco in the DB5 is nine years after the events of the pts, then...ok.
    I'm an often easily pleased Bond fan in many respects.

    Words of wisdom, @Benny. There's a certain level of scrutiny that can only suck the fun out of a Bond movie.

    I think that's the fun of being a fan, as long as you don't take it too seriously. Analysing the gunbarrel sequences for example: as long as you don't actually think the film is terrible because Brosnan looks like he has a rod up his back or whatever, then it's just fun. Pointing out a continuity flaw or how a plotline doesn't make sense, it's just for the enjoyment of it. If someone then starts to drily make an argument out of that, how it's actually all perfect etc. then that's where the fun starts to evaporate.

    Working out what year it's set in is just a bit of fun.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Our mission is to just roll with it. For example: I understand that iPhones and Smartphones change models faster than lightspeed and that product placement in a newly released Bond film is a big deal, but I hope this is not the sort of thing people will factor in when evaluating NTTD after the fact. "That model is soooo not 2021," is not the sort of complaint I will have a lot of patience for... ;-)

    Well they'll most probably just replace any phones in it with the latest model with a bit of CG, not too tricky for these guys.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 20,010
    mtm wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    Maybe I'm in the minority with this, but the year in which the current Bond film takes place hasn't been an issue for me. It doesn't add anything to the story, If in GE I'm told Bond and Caroline driving in Monaco in the DB5 is nine years after the events of the pts, then...ok.
    I'm an often easily pleased Bond fan in many respects.

    Words of wisdom, @Benny. There's a certain level of scrutiny that can only suck the fun out of a Bond movie.

    I think that's the fun of being a fan, as long as you don't take it too seriously. Analysing the gunbarrel sequences for example: as long as you don't actually think the film is terrible because Brosnan looks like he has a rod up his back or whatever, then it's just fun. Pointing out a continuity flaw or how a plotline doesn't make sense, it's just for the enjoyment of it. If someone then starts to drily make an argument out of that, how it's actually all perfect etc. then that's where the fun starts to evaporate.

    Like I said, a "certain level". It's like salt; a little makes every dish better, too much kills it. ;-)
    mtm wrote: »
    Working out what year it's set in is just a bit of fun.

    I guess it can be fun for others but I have never cared about that. E.g., we know that CR must take place after 2001 and judging by some phones it's not 2020. But what year it is exactly (or most likely) is not a mystery I'm going to spend any time on by looking into the models of cars, the type of phones people use, ... Knowing that wouldn't give me any particular satisfaction. The Bonds, for me, play in "some decade"; I'm lost in an adventure for which temporal coordinates mean little to me. But hey, I'm glad others are figuring out a timeline. :-)
    mtm wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Our mission is to just roll with it. For example: I understand that iPhones and Smartphones change models faster than lightspeed and that product placement in a newly released Bond film is a big deal, but I hope this is not the sort of thing people will factor in when evaluating NTTD after the fact. "That model is soooo not 2021," is not the sort of complaint I will have a lot of patience for... ;-)

    Well they'll most probably just replace any phones in it with the latest model with a bit of CG, not too tricky for these guys.

    Probably. Or with guns.

    (Sorry, bad E.T. reference. ;-) )
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Costa Mucho
    Posts: 42,013
    The surveilance tape in the Bahamas is dated 2006.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 20,010
    The surveilance tape in the Bahamas is dated 2006.

    See, I hadn't even caught that, that's how little I care. But thank you, anyway. ;-)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 11 Posts: 8,821
    The surveilance tape in the Bahamas is dated 2006.

    Yep, I think does maybe the Ellipsis text message have a year on it too? I have a vague memory of that.
    Other places there might be a date include the newspaper with the headline that M flashes, and of course Bond's email inbox, complete with the dramatic 'stationery request'! :)
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited March 11 Posts: 2,951
    Fan-made.. unfortunately



  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Posts: 2,951
    I don't remember if it was in Total Film or Empire or who it was but that someone, like Cary or Prod Designer Mark Tildesley, said the PTS would be around 18 min starting with Norway (only in french dialogue) >> Matera mayhem >> Titles
  • edited March 11 Posts: 121
    [deleted]
  • Posts: 151
    Contraband wrote: »
    I don't remember if it was in Total Film or Empire or who it was but that someone, like Cary or Prod Designer Mark Tildesley, said the PTS would be around 18 min starting with Norway (only in french dialogue) >> Matera mayhem >> Titles

    The French dialogue claim came from the Wall Street Journal journalist who Fukunaga showed the first 10mins too.

    Michael Wison said the PTS was the series' longest during the Jamaica Live Reveal event, I believe.

    FWIW I think it is;

    UAR/MGM/Universal Logos
    Gunbarrel
    Norway and Matera as the PTS
    Main title sequence
    Rest of film
  • Posts: 100
    I suspect the Norway scene will be Madeleine dreaming, then she'll wake up in Matera in the present and we go from there.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Posts: 2,951
    I suspect the Norway scene will be Madeleine dreaming, then she'll wake up in Matera in the present and we go from there.

    If she's dreaming that would be in the DB5 because they filmed scenes with Bond and Swann driving along the coast heading for Matera and production even built a short tunnel in the middle of Matera city with them driving through it, arriving in the city plus several other driving scenes in the evening (and finally stops outside the hotel)
  • Posts: 300
    I seem to remember (unfortunately not where) I read
    Madeleine emerging from water in Cava dei Poeti (the scenes shown in the first Billie Eilish clip back in February 2020) is supposed to be her remembering the scene in lake's waters in Norway. She then turns to Bond almost scared mistaking him for Safin and then smiling realising she's in the present day
  • Posts: 3,152
    I seem to remember (unfortunately not where) I read
    Madeleine emerging from water in Cava dei Poeti (the scenes shown in the first Billie Eilish clip back in February 2020) is supposed to be her remembering the scene in lake's waters in Norway. She then turns to Bond almost scared mistaking him for Safin and then smiling realising she's in the present day

    Yup, that's from the leaked call sheet - and that's before they go to the DB5 and drive to Matera.
  • fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    Posts: 38
    I wonder if the Norway and Matera sequences are going to be meshed together. Like they open with Norway with him approaching the cabin, then cut to Matera, then back to Norway for the lake part, etc. Like a back-and-forth kind of thing maybe?
  • Posts: 300
    antovolk wrote: »
    I seem to remember (unfortunately not where) I read
    Madeleine emerging from water in Cava dei Poeti (the scenes shown in the first Billie Eilish clip back in February 2020) is supposed to be her remembering the scene in lake's waters in Norway. She then turns to Bond almost scared mistaking him for Safin and then smiling realising she's in the present day

    Yup, that's from the leaked call sheet - and that's before they go to the DB5 and drive to Matera.

    Ah that's great. Thanks
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Posts: 2,951
    I seem to remember (unfortunately not where) I read
    Madeleine emerging from water in Cava dei Poeti (the scenes shown in the first Billie Eilish clip back in February 2020) is supposed to be her remembering the scene in lake's waters in Norway. She then turns to Bond almost scared mistaking him for Safin and then smiling realising she's in the present day
    13Mxxj2.jpg

  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Posts: 522
    Contraband wrote: »
    I seem to remember (unfortunately not where) I read
    Madeleine emerging from water in Cava dei Poeti (the scenes shown in the first Billie Eilish clip back in February 2020) is supposed to be her remembering the scene in lake's waters in Norway. She then turns to Bond almost scared mistaking him for Safin and then smiling realising she's in the present day
    13Mxxj2.jpg

    Mi6 HQ has an article which summarizes all the information from the call sheets.
  • Posts: 300
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    I seem to remember (unfortunately not where) I read
    Madeleine emerging from water in Cava dei Poeti (the scenes shown in the first Billie Eilish clip back in February 2020) is supposed to be her remembering the scene in lake's waters in Norway. She then turns to Bond almost scared mistaking him for Safin and then smiling realising she's in the present day
    13Mxxj2.jpg

    Mi6 HQ has an article which summarizes all the information from the call sheets.

    Link?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Posts: 522
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    I seem to remember (unfortunately not where) I read
    Madeleine emerging from water in Cava dei Poeti (the scenes shown in the first Billie Eilish clip back in February 2020) is supposed to be her remembering the scene in lake's waters in Norway. She then turns to Bond almost scared mistaking him for Safin and then smiling realising she's in the present day
    13Mxxj2.jpg

    Mi6 HQ has an article which summarizes all the information from the call sheets.

    Link?

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-call-sheet-leak-new-character&ved=2ahUKEwil3dWQo6vvAhUHvJ4KHV4_DDkQFjAAegQIARAC&usg=AOvVaw2FVUviM17H3ZEsHeezhJUi
  • Posts: 12,846
    Someone wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    I don't remember if it was in Total Film or Empire or who it was but that someone, like Cary or Prod Designer Mark Tildesley, said the PTS would be around 18 min starting with Norway (only in french dialogue) >> Matera mayhem >> Titles

    The French dialogue claim came from the Wall Street Journal journalist who Fukunaga showed the first 10mins too.

    Michael Wison said the PTS was the series' longest during the Jamaica Live Reveal event, I believe.

    FWIW I think it is;

    UAR/MGM/Universal Logos
    Gunbarrel
    Norway and Matera as the PTS
    Main title sequence
    Rest of film

    That's what I think it is, too.

    Unless it's
    MGM/UA/Universal logos
    Gunbarrel
    Norway
    Main title sequence
    Matera and rest of film
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Posts: 1,754
    Guarantee that’s how it goes down. And Madeline boarding the train, with the train leaving will transition into the main title sequence.
  • Posts: 1,116
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    I seem to remember (unfortunately not where) I read
    Madeleine emerging from water in Cava dei Poeti (the scenes shown in the first Billie Eilish clip back in February 2020) is supposed to be her remembering the scene in lake's waters in Norway. She then turns to Bond almost scared mistaking him for Safin and then smiling realising she's in the present day
    13Mxxj2.jpg

    Mi6 HQ has an article which summarizes all the information from the call sheets.

    Link?

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-call-sheet-leak-new-character&ved=2ahUKEwil3dWQo6vvAhUHvJ4KHV4_DDkQFjAAegQIARAC&usg=AOvVaw2FVUviM17H3ZEsHeezhJUi

    Reading this again has re-ignited my excitement to see some of these scenes play out. Cary had talked about YOLT being an inspiration for the film, but I'd always imagined that was primaily in reference to Safin and his lair
    but the subplot of Bond having a child he's unaware of is something I can't wait to see play out. I'm wondering if it is the case if Bond will actually even find out that the child is his (or if he finds out at all). Also, does anyone else think that this is the secret that Blofeld is referring to in the trailers? I know the assumption was that it had something to do with her relationship with Safin but I'm not so sure anymore.
  • edited March 12 Posts: 3,045
    It really bothers me, that the best action setpiece of the movie, which they spent months shooting, for the 3rd time in a row, is
    in the PTS
    So what people are concluding here, is that 18 minutes of screentime will give us all this:
    Safin approaching cabin
    Stuff going on inside and outside the cabin
    The frozen lake
    Swann swimming
    Bond and Swann driving to Matera
    Evening stroll and love scenes in Matera
    Waking up. Bond going to the cemetary
    Explosion and bridge
    Fistfight, bikechase and getting Swann
    Carchase around Matera. Discussion in the DB5.
    Entering train station and saying goodbye.
    That's a lot of stuff going on in the course of 18 minutes.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Posts: 2,951
    Zekidk wrote: »
    It really bothers me, that the best action setpiece of the movie, which they spent months shooting, for the 3rd time in a row, is
    in the PTS
    So what people are concluding here, is that 18 minutes of screentime will give us all this:
    Safin approaching cabin
    Stuff going on inside and outside the cabin
    The frozen lake
    Swann swimming
    Bond and Swann driving to Matera
    Evening stroll and love scenes in Matera
    Waking up. Bond going to the cemetary
    Explosion and bridge
    Fistfight, bikechase and getting Swann
    Carchase around Matera. Discussion in the DB5.
    Entering train station and saying goodbye.
    That's a lot of stuff going on in the course of 18 minutes.

    Plus the Matera donut driving/shooting on the square and the bike jump over the wall
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Posts: 1,754
    Where did we hear 18 minutes? I’d say closer to 25 given all the info.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Posts: 2,951
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Where did we hear 18 minutes? I’d say closer to 25 given all the info.

    Think it was production designer Mark Tidesly (spelling?) who said in Total film magazine interview. Or maybe it was Cary himself. I can't remember...

  • The rest of the film hardly looks lacking in action. I’m very excited about the off-road (Norway?) chase
Sign In or Register to comment.