OHMSS - a decent follow up

in Bond Movies Posts: 4,599
One of the themes coming out of the missed opportunities thread was the lack of a decent OHMSS follow up. As a huge fan of OHMSS (I know I'm not alone) can anyone point me towards any fan fiction or story?

Leaving the original books alone, the scenario is mouth watering in terms of a movie script and provides so many opportunities. Draco after losing his daughter would surely team up with his new son-in-law. (we tend to forget that Bond has a father-in-law). And how would Bond get back to work? Bury himself in work to forget ? or take some time out? Resort to booze in a SF type scenario? And how would M deal with him? Would Blofeld be content with killing Tracy or would he come back for another try at Bond?

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    There is more then likely lots of fan fiction follow up.

I always imagined Draco being too emotionally overwrought to be of any help to Bond. Bond would be a wreck to. I like the way Fleming played it that he had lost his edge. I am not sure audiences would respond to this characterization since Bond was portrayed as a Superman of sorts. I like M being fatherly in this scenario and helping him as best he could. Blofeld was trying to kill Bond and Tracey was collateral damage. I doubt he would continue to pursue Bond. He was always in the shadows. Bond was need to pursue him.

Sometimes in these scenarios we forget that cinema of the early 70's had different sensibilities then now. I don't think a revenge story would have been the right play. Just my two cents.
    I like the idea of Draco turning against Bond, blaming him for the death of Tracy. Bond has to go rogue, searching for Blofeld and Bunt while also fighting off Draco’s assassins.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,599
    @thedove Good points. Spot on with M, could have been Lee's finest hour? Plus, I can imagine a great scene where Bond is comforted by MP. OHMSS pushed the boundaries in certain ways re Bond's character so seeing him lose his edge , way way before SF, I think could have been interesting. Especially as Hunt was obviously fine to show a more emotional, sensitive Bond. I also think Laz could have done this well.

@TR007 It could go the other way, Bond goes off the radar (as per SF), Draco is looking for revenge (requesting Bond's help but he is not up for the fight) and hunts Blofeld down but Blofeld kills Draco in some horrible way. Perhaps Blofeld tortures Draco to find Bond's location but Draco won't talk. (I thought Draco had immense charm and this would be an amazing scene). Bond finds out and, feeling guilty that he refused the initial request for help, comes back for revenge.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 377
    In all seriousness I would not have liked a revenge story. What would that have looked like back then? Like Get Carter? I guess I would have liked to see Diamonds Are Forever without all the silly humor and with Lazenby still as Bond.
  • In all seriousness I would not have liked a revenge story. What would that have looked like back then? Like Get Carter? I guess I would have liked to see Diamonds Are Forever without all the silly humor and with Lazenby still as Bond.
    If you can't have a revenge story after that classic ending, I'm not sure when you can have one.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    TR007 wrote: »
    I like the idea of Draco turning against Bond, blaming him for the death of Tracy. Bond has to go rogue, searching for Blofeld and Bunt while also fighting off Draco’s assassins.

That kind of sounds a bit like what Raymond Benson did with Draco in Never Dream of Dying (2001).