Sir Sean Connery wrote a Bond Film?

BibiBibi Washington
in Bond Movies Posts: 23

Comments

• It would have been like "Never Say Never Again" because that's what it eventually turned into.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    edited October 2018 Posts: 984
    I love how Connery bemoaned Bond becoming too cartoonish, then helped write a script with robot sharks in...
    I don't believe it was anything like "Never Say Never Again" as @BeatlesSansEarmuffs states. Connery co-wrote the script with top thriller writer Len Deighton. In fact this is pretty old news as there's various examples of the original script available. The movie was so different to Thunderball that McClory was forced to revert back to just remaking TB because Eon said they owned the rights to Bond and McClory couldn't deviate from the source material and create a completely new story. The Len Deighton script featured sharks with lasers in NYC sewers, Bond parachuting off the Statue of Liberty and the return of Blofeld in a new story. Robot sharks would've fitted right in with the mid-70's, but alas it never came to pass.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2018 Posts: 17,805
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I love how Connery bemoaned Bond becoming too cartoonish, then helped write a script with robot sharks in...

I have to say I agree. It's an awful and overly cartoonish idea, although as I recall they did still use something similar in NSNA in one scene.

The sharks had some sort of impulse device on them if I'm remembering things right, and Bond had a corresponding homing device attached to his aqualung. So I suppose the robot shark idea carried over from the previous Warhead script and wasn't completely abandoned!