Bond films that have grown on you over time or lost their appeal

13»

Comments

• edited May 2019 Posts: 17,272
    The film that's grown most on me lately is probably LALD. It's always been in and out of the top ten, but it's now safely within the top ten.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 26
    Excellent idea for a thread.

Grown

DAF (obviously). For years I thought it was terrible and then suddenly, quite recently, I realised I had been completely wrong. I watch it more now than the others. If it was not for DAF I would not have created an account for this site.

Agreed - I re-watched DAF yesterday after a gap of at least a decade, and found it surprisingly enjoyable. Well aware of its numerous flaws, I came to it with low expectations, but something made me decide to give it another chance.

Yes, Charles Gray plays Blofeld like a Batman villain – his priceless delivery of lines such as “Prepare my bathosub” and “I do so hate martial music” had me laughing out loud. The Electronic Voice Disguiser was also pure Batman. If Adam West had taken the Bond role he’d have been right at home.

Enjoyed Jimmy Dean’s James Stewart-ish turn as Willard Whyte.

Would’ve preferred Van Nutter or Hedison as Leiter, obviously.

Wint & Kidd were a great double act. The duo’s comeuppance, though, was surprisingly nasty.

John Barry’s music – great, of course.

Excellent fight in the lift.

Even the bloated, beetle-browed Connery of memory seemed more engaged and enthusiastic than I recalled, enjoying the opportunity to send himself up. But I still didn’t like the way Tiffany Case devolved from tough cookie to ditzy klutz and was utterly helpless in fight scenes.

The film really set the tone for the '70s Bonds, for better or worse. There was even a kind of proto Sheriff Pepper.

Plus I was reminded of DAF’s curious influence on Blade Runner, of all films.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    So far in my Bondathon, TMWTGG, OP, AVTAK and DAD have really grown on me, while LALD, FYEO and TLD have gone the other way.

I'm surprised at the inclusion of DAD in your Bondathon, @Thunderfinger, as I was under the impression that you didn't own the Brosnan Bond films. Perhaps this has now changed? ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    So far in my Bondathon, TMWTGG, OP, AVTAK and DAD have really grown on me, while LALD, FYEO and TLD have gone the other way.

I'm surprised at the inclusion of DAD in your Bondathon, @Thunderfinger, as I was under the impression that you didn't own the Brosnan Bond films. Perhaps this has now changed? ;)

Found it at the library. Have bought TND and TWINE, and also ordered GE and DAD.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 17,786

Found it at the library. Have bought TND and TWINE, and also ordered GE and DAD.

Oh, well that's good news. I grew up in the Brosnan era, though conversely he's probably my least favourite Bond. I still like him and his films, though I miss any real Fleming content!
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Dr. No and FYEO have grown on me, while Skyfall has lost it appeal after I watched SPECTRE.

Oh, well that's good news. I grew up in the Brosnan era, though conversely he's probably my least favourite Bond. I still like him and his films, though I miss any real Fleming content!

I thought Brosnan was rather good in DAD, maybe even better than Dalton, but it remains to see how he fares in the rest.

I thought Brosnan was rather good in DAD, maybe even better than Dalton, but it remains to see how he fares in the rest.

I take it that it's been a good while since you last seen them? I'm glad to hear that you're reengaging with them. :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dr. No and FYEO have grown on me, while Skyfall has lost it appeal after I watched SPECTRE.

Interesting. Did SF lose its appeal because its "sequel" failed to impress you, @NS_writings, or did it lose its appeal because you consider SP the better film of these two?
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Interesting. Did SF lose its appeal because its "sequel" failed to impress you, @NS_writings, or did it lose its appeal because you consider SP the better film of these two?

The latter. Everyone disagrees with me, but even though I liked Skyfall when it came out, I felt a huge BOND IS BACK feeling with SPECTRE: loved the traditional style, the music, the gadgets, the happy ending... the story isn't great, but I feel it's the most Bondian or traditional Daniel Craig Bond film (starting with the gunbarrel back at the beginning).
  • Zorin91Zorin91 Stavanger, Norway
    I used to think FRWL was sort of slow and boring, but I guess becoming older makes me appreciate the tone and tempo of the film a lot more. It's truly a masterpiece from beginning to end, and though I prefer more action packed films focussed on pure entertainment (GF, TSWLM etc.), it sits comfortable within my top 10.

The one film that's truly lost its appeal with me is Goldeneye. I'm a 90s kid, love the game and Brosnan was THE James Bond for me for many years, but despite great villains and an interesting premise it seems rather grey and dull to me now. Though it sort of pains me to say it, I prefer TND these days.

I take it that it's been a good while since you last seen them? I'm glad to hear that you're reengaging with them. :)

It has been a decade.

It has been a decade.

Nice. Perhaps you will see them anew now with fresh eyes. It should be interesting to hear your thoughts on them! :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    In like of Calvin Dyson's recent review of the TB book, I have to admit that my feelings have been growing more lukewarm towards TB. I don't dislike as much as Calvin does, and while it features the most gorgeous lineup of Bond Girls, it is no longer a Bond film I look forward to watching. It all feels... bloated, lethargic even.
    TB seems like a film you either really enjoy, or don't care that much for. It's currently number one in my ranking.
    My enjoyment of Thunderball has everything to do with mood and state of mind. If I am tired or feel lazy I know there is no point of watching. You have to be able to maintain a certain level of curiosity, assertiveness and concentration to enjoy it fully. The same goes for other more slow paced and heavy plot based films in the series, or indeed other films in general.
    Mood and state of mind is definitely important when watching any film. If I'm tired, I usually end up watching a TV series rather than a film, as the episodes are shorter than a film anyway.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    jobo wrote: »
    My enjoyment of Thunderball has everything to do with mood and state of mind. If I am tired or feel lazy I know there is no point of watching. You have to be able to maintain a certain level of curiosity, assertiveness and concentration to enjoy it fully. The same goes for other more slow paced and heavy plot based films in the series, or indeed other films in general.
    Mood and state of mind is definitely important when watching any film. If I'm tired, I usually end up watching a TV series rather than a film, as the episodes are shorter than a film anyway.

Agree. I have "late night" Bond films. If it's 2 am, and I can't sleep, I just throw one on (easier to do now with streaming).

YOLT, DAF, and AVTAK are my go-to films for this.