The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 38 deadline: Sun 19 May 14:30 UK time!*

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Not able to watch the game unfortunately, as Arsenal charge money for access via their website. Will try and catch highlights when they're available.

MUTV is £7.99 a month so reasonable, i only subscribe for pre season games.

Decent game so far, pretty even.

Can't remember the price for the preseason games on Arsenal.com, but I think it was more than £7.99. Looking at the score, it's probably just as well that I haven't paid for the game!
    Irrespective of the score apparently there will be a penalty shoot out at the end of the game ?

Saw a tweet about that, and it seems like it will be a penalty shoot out. I think they did the same in a preseason game Arsenal played in the US last year too.

Very much an American thing and gives the crowd some extra entertainment, this match is a huge deal for the fans over there.

Arsenal made hardly any changes, United made wholesale changes.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think Arsenal are missing Xhaka, with Havertz on the pitch Odegaard I think is less effective in a deeper role.
    Not able to watch the game unfortunately, as Arsenal charge money for access via their website. Will try and catch highlights when they're available.

Can't remember the price for the preseason games on Arsenal.com, but I think it was more than £7.99. Looking at the score, it's probably just as well that I haven't paid for the game!
    Irrespective of the score apparently there will be a penalty shoot out at the end of the game ?

Saw a tweet about that, and it seems like it will be a penalty shoot out. I think they did the same in a preseason game Arsenal played in the US last year too.

Very much an American thing and gives the crowd some extra entertainment, this match is a huge deal for the fans over there.

Yes it seems to be an "American" thing. Doesn't hurt the teams to go through a penalty shootout though.
    I think Arsenal are missing Xhaka, with Havertz on the pitch Odegaard I think is less effective in a deeper role.

That's my fear with no Xhaka; he was so important last season, and they can't really afford a replacement not being at his level – it's such an important key to the way they want to play.

Yes it seems to be an "American" thing. Doesn't hurt the teams to go through a penalty shootout though.

That's my fear with no Xhaka; he was so important last season, and they can't really afford a replacement not being at his level – it's such an important key to the way they want to play.

I have never really got Havertz not sure what his best position is, he has done absolutely nothing in this game. Arsenal just had a great chance to score.

United changed 10 players at half time, Arsenal just 1, Tierney on.
    Rice and Martinelli off, Partey and Jesus on.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,562
    Maguire makes me nervous, he did his usual losing possession in dangerous areas trick.
    Then Maguire crashes into Odegaard very clumsily and gets a yellow, such a liability on the pitch.

I have never really got Havertz not sure what his best position is, he has done absolutely nothing in this game. Arsenal just had a great chance to score.

Havertz will either be a good signing by Arsenal or a bad one, I feel. No way of knowing as of yet. He's a player that should be able to play in several positions, but the one he's covered tonight apparently, probably isn't…

Looks like Arsenal are changing things up now. Wonder what Arteta makes of this game. It's a bit worrying if Arsenal fail to convert any chances, IMO.

Havertz will either be a good signing by Arsenal or a bad one, I feel. No way of knowing as of yet. He's a player that should be able to play in several positions, but the one he's covered tonight apparently, probably isn't…

Looks like Arsenal are changing things up now. Wonder what Arteta makes of this game. It's a bit worrying if Arsenal fail to convert any chances, IMO.

I totally forgot you had Smith Roe and Jorginho, with Rice now there will some of the midfielders leave?
    Good win for United, our team in second half not really troubled, another clean sheet.

Penalties.
    If Arsenal win the shootout will the crowd think they won the game.
    Vierra skies it over the bar Roberto Baggio style, he actually looked nervous.
    Man United win Eriksen blasts it into the net 5 out of 5.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    This season could be the closest for a long time hopefully.

I totally forgot you had Smith Roe and Jorginho, with Rice now there will some of the midfielders leave?

I expect so, but I also expect some rotation, now that Arsenal will play CL football.

Good result for United, but worrying signs from Arsenal. I just hope they don't have a season like Chelsea did last season, when a lot of new players failed to deliver…

I expect so, but I also expect some rotation, now that Arsenal will play CL football.

Good result for United, but worrying signs from Arsenal. I just hope they don't have a season like Chelsea did last season, when a lot of new players failed to deliver…

From an outside point of view Rice, Xhaka and Odegaard would have been a great combination.

From an outside point of view Rice, Xhaka and Odegaard would have been a great combination.

They would, for sure. Uncertainty around Partey is another factor that might impact Arsenal this season. Should he leave, they need to find a good replacement, and that might be difficult – and expensive.
    Shaka Hislop collapsed live on ESPN during the Real Madrid vs AC Milan game, he is conscious now and appears ok pending test results.
    Kane according to reports is for sale, Man United need to go in for him.
    Shaka Hislop collapsed live on ESPN during the Real Madrid vs AC Milan game, he is conscious now and appears ok pending test results.

Any news about Hislop?

Bayern are apparently preparing a new bid. It looks like they've had dialogue with Spurs about him this summer.

Any news about Hislop?

Bayern are apparently preparing a new bid. It looks like they've had dialogue with Spurs about him this summer.

Last I heard was Shaka OK, not heard anything about the cause, though just got home.

Spurs will be very determined not to sell Kane to a English rival.
    AL HILAL bid £259 for Mbappe, football is in trouble. 700m in wages for a years stay??
    AL HILAL bid £259 for Mbappe, football is in trouble. 700m in wages for a years stay??

I wonder if the saudi's will make a bid for Kane as well ?
    Shaka Hislop's message after collapsing at the Rose Bowl | ESPN FC

---

Apparently the Saudi's have made two offers for Bruno which have been turned down.

It is a real worry as they have limitless spending power, I fear this is only the beginning.

I heard yesterday on Talksport that Kane has no interest in going to Saudi.

Henderson is on £700'000 a week which is ridiculous, the market is going to be seriously inflated again...

Chelsea will be OK as they tied down most of there recent signing's to 56 year contracts lol

---

Apparently the Saudi's have made two offers for Bruno which have been turned down.

It is a real worry as they have limitless spending power, I fear this is only the beginning.

Henderson is on £700'000 a week which is ridiculous, the market is going to be seriously inflated again...

Chelsea will be OK as they tied down most of there recent signing's to 56 year contracts lol

I heard they were interested in Salah too.

Oil money is ruining the EPL too and it all started with chelsea russian oil money, city and now newcastle.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 17,352

Any news about Hislop?

Last I heard was Shaka OK, not heard anything about the cause, though just got home.

Spurs will be very determined not to sell Kane to a English rival.

Good! Haven't seen anything from the incident, but it's always dramatic when something like that happens.

Re. Kane, I imagine Spurs will do everything they can to keep him from going to a rival. Question is if Kane wants to stay in the PL, or go abroad…

---

The contract proposals and deals for players going to the Saudi league seems like too incredible to be true. One thing is players choosing massive pay checks over competing in the best leagues, but you have to wonder what the long term effects on the market will be.

---

I heard they were interested in Salah too.

Oil money is ruining the EPL too and it all started with chelsea russian oil money, city and now newcastle.

I think this is only the start, now that we see the results of the money spending; City being totally dominant, Chelsea with their success and now Newcastle gong from relegation and bottom half of the league to quickly competing for top four.
    According to reports Hojlund and Amrabat are close to signing for an United. I am not used to deals being done so quickly with with United :)) We need to go in for Kane though to really challenge for the league...
    According to reports Hojlund and Amrabat are close to signing for an United. I am not used to deals being done so quickly with with United :)) We need to go in for Kane though to really challenge for the league...

Felt the same way about Arsenal signing Rice, Timber and Havertz, haha!

Will United try and sign Kane if they sign Rasmus Højlund?

Not sure though my gut tells me they have to go in for him, its the perfect opportunity to get a world class striker. If they don't it shows a lack of ambition, also for months Kane has been touted as Ten Hag's priority signing. Of course things may be going on behind the scenes we are not aware of.

Not sure though my gut tells me they have to go in for him, its the perfect opportunity to get a world class striker. If they don't it shows a lack of ambition, also for months Kane has been touted as Ten Hag's priority signing. Of course things may be going on behind the scenes we are not aware of.

United is one of the very few clubs that probably can afford to buy him, as well as having a standing that might attract a player like Kane. I saw a few tweets jokingly suggesting Arsenal as a good club for Kane (on paper he would be a great signing), but I doubt he'd ever consider that move :))