The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 35 deadline: Sat 27 Apr 11:00 UK time!*

Comments

From an FPL point of view and this may be jinxing myself I am thinking of leaving Haaland for now and see how he develops in the team.

Still very much undecided what to do re. Haaland myself. Kane might be a better GW1 option, but Haaland might be better long term…
    Goal Salah was never going to miss 2 - 1 Liverpool. Keeper got close.

City haven't played at their best tonight. I hoped to get an indication from this game who I might want to own from the team, but if anything I'm more uncertain who I want to bring in besides Cancelo – who was in my team already.

Plus West Ham away is a tricky game to start the season for city, I will hit Wild Card early so I will likely just set a team up to play the first 3 fixtures.

There will no doubt be a lot of wildcards played early this season. There are quite a few "template players" featuring in most teams I see online right now, but the variations in formations (big at the back, strong midfield, utilising just a single striker spot, etc.) makes it very difficult to do major surgery without taking several hits.

If I can get to gameweek 4 without wildcarding, I'll be very happy!

What I find amusing is some FPL managers saying they have the perfect team, that all changes when the first game is played :)) Like you have said before it's 38 games there is no such thing as a perfect team.

Indeed! And a lot of drafts I've seen in recent days and weeks are very reactionary, changing according to the preseasons results. Things will no doubt look very different once the season kicks off.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,369
    From an FPL point of view and this may be jinxing myself I am thinking of leaving Haaland for now and see how he develops in the team.

Still very much undecided what to do re. Haaland myself. Kane might be a better GW1 option, but Haaland might be better long term…

City haven't played at their best tonight. I hoped to get an indication from this game who I might want to own from the team, but if anything I'm more uncertain who I want to bring in besides Cancelo – who was in my team already.

Plus West Ham away is a tricky game to start the season for city, I will hit Wild Card early so I will likely just set a team up to play the first 3 fixtures.

There will no doubt be a lot of wildcards played early this season. There are quite a few "template players" featuring in most teams I see online right now, but the variations in formations (big at the back, strong midfield, utilising just a single striker spot, etc.) makes it very difficult to do major surgery without taking several hits.

What I find amusing is some FPL managers saying they have the perfect team, that all changes when the first game is played :)) Like you have said before it's 38 games there is no such thing as a perfect team.

Indeed! And a lot of drafts I've seen in recent days and weeks are very reactionary, changing according to the preseasons results. Things will no doubt look very different once the season kicks off.

Ronaldo is smiling alot during warm up at Old Trafford, if he stays he goes in my team 😂

Donny and Eriksson start, Varane and Martinez in CB

This is arguably a better side then yesterday's 😂
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Ronny seems really happy 🤔

Ronaldo is smiling alot during warm up at Old Trafford, if he stays he goes in my team 😂

Do you think Ronaldo is more likely to start gameweek 1 than Martial?
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,369

Not sure Ronny's ego will play a part if he stays.

Shaky start from United almost conceded from kick off, Falcoa ex United striker playing for Rayo. Wonder kid Garnacho finally getting game time, he has huge potential.
    Some of the young players are struggling, though Garnacho star of the show so far.
    Ronaldo only played 45 minutes so if he stays its unlikely he will start next week I would think.

Shaky start from United almost conceded from kick off, Falcoa ex United striker playing for Rayo. Wonder kid Garnacho finally getting game time, he has huge potential.
    Ronaldo only played 45 minutes so if he stays its unlikely he will start next week I would think.

I can see Ronaldo becoming an issue if he stays. He's the sort of player any manager would have on his side, rather than a dressing room issue. This is also a huge opportunity for Martial to try and secure a spot in the starting eleven.

I can see Ronaldo becoming an issue if he stays. He's the sort of player any manager would have on his side, rather than a dressing room issue. This is also a huge opportunity for Martial to try and secure a spot in the starting eleven.

If we get a few attackers in I think United will let him go, I really think its numbers at this point. Unless Ten Hag opts for a false 9.

Women's England Football team won the Euros I completely forgot to watch it 😂
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 17,291

If we get a few attackers in I think United will let him go, I really think its numbers at this point. Unless Ten Hag opts for a false 9.

There is still time to make a few signings, but they will obviously need time to settle into the team, and will lack the preseason preparations. There are exceptions of course; Luis Díaz didn't need long to settle in the Liverpool team.

I watched the majority of the game and it was a really good match. This tournament has been women's football at its best, and I hope the women's teams (both club and nations tournaments) will get more exposure and coverage in the years to come. For an Arsenal fan, it was great to see Beth Mead and Leah Williamson have a good tournament, with Mead in particular being a standout player.

There is still time to make a few signings, but they will obviously need time to settle into the team, and will lack the preseason preparations. There are exceptions of course; Luis Díaz didn't need long to settle in the Liverpool team.

I watched the majority of the game and it was a really good match. This tournament has been women's football at its best, and I hope the women's teams (both club and nations tournaments) will get more exposure and coverage in the years to come. For an Arsenal fan, it was great to see Beth Mead and Leah Williamson have a good tournament, with Mead in particular being a standout player.

I must admit I don't really follow Women's football I watched it years ago and was not impressed. To be fair the womens game has improved a lot, England played some great football vs Sweden. I think the win should raise the profile of the sport further, I suspect they will be everywhere in mainstream media for weeks here in the UK.

I must admit I don't really follow Women's football I watched it years ago and was not impressed. To be fair the womens game has improved a lot, England played some great football vs Sweden. I think the win should raise the profile of the sport further, I suspect they will be everywhere in mainstream media for weeks here in the UK.

I try to watch games with Arsenal and my other team Rosenborg when I can. Arsenal women's games aren't always that easy to find, but many of the Rosenborg women's games are televised on NRK - our equivalent to the BBC.

The quality of women's football has taken big steps, and will only get better and better. It just needs exposure, funding and sponsorships in the same way men's football has.

:))

I try to watch games with Arsenal and my other team Rosenborg when I can. Arsenal women's games aren't always that easy to find, but many of the Rosenborg women's games are televised on NRK - our equivalent to the BBC.

The quality of women's football has taken big steps, and will only get better and better. It just needs exposure, funding and sponsorships in the same way men's football has.

There was an ongoing debate here that bigger stadiums would have been filled during the Euro's though because it was set up years ago it was too late, there was a huge demand for tickets.

I am toying with the idea of getting in Darwin and going without Salah, to free up funds... I will bottle it lol.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,353

There was an ongoing debate here that bigger stadiums would have been filled during the Euro's though because it was set up years ago it was too late, there was a huge demand for tickets.

I am toying with the idea of getting in Darwin and going without Salah, to free up funds... I will bottle it lol.

Is Ronnie in your squad ?
    Anyone have Leon Bailey in ?
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 17,291

Hahaha!

Stadiums are a big part of football, no doubt, and it's great to see women's games in bigger stadiums than those they normally play at. I think several of the Arsenal women's games will be played at the Emirates this season, and it will be interesting to see if the buzz from this tournament will lead to more people attending the matches.

I made a draft a couple of days ago that included Salah, Kane/Haaland, Jesus and Darwin. Had to sacrifice a lot of funds elsewhere, but the draft wasn't that bad! I'm still on a 4-4-2 though, but there are 3-4 spots I need to fill.

Is Ronnie in your squad ?
    Anyone have Leon Bailey in ?

cY10AaI.png
    This is my current Draft though I will change at least 5 or 6 players.

Hahaha!

Stadiums are a big part of football, no doubt, and it's great to see women's games in bigger stadiums than those they normally play at. I think several of the Arsenal women's games will be played at the Emirates this season, and it will be interesting to see if the buzz from this tournament will lead to more people attending the matches.

I made a draft a couple of days ago that included Salah, Kane/Haaland, Jesus and Darwin. Had to sacrifice a lot of funds elsewhere, but the draft wasn't that bad! I'm still on a 4-4-2 though, but there are 3-4 spots I need to fill.

You did well to get all those players in, I think I will end up going cheap in defense.

Hahaha!

You did well to get all those players in, I think I will end up going cheap in defense.

It took a bit of tinkering, that's for sure! The midfield is very light in the "Darwin draft" though, with Neto, Salah and Martinelli + Bailey as a rotation option with a 4.5 defender. It could definitely be a lineup I end up with, if Darwin hits the ground running and you can get away with a cheap midfield + Salah.

I'm very curious as to where the points will come from this season. I can see all of Kane, Haaland, Darwin, Jesus and Wilson becoming good options, making a front three tempting. The midfield is usually good for points, but a lot of those players (the 8.0's, Son and De Bruyne) are difficult to include. And there's a lot of good options in defence, but the question is how strong a defence you will want; many drafts have a very strong defence as you can get many points pr. million picking the right defenders, but it leaves you with a very inflexible team…

Hahaha!

It took a bit of tinkering, that's for sure! The midfield is very light in the "Darwin draft" though, with Neto, Salah and Martinelli + Bailey as a rotation option with a 4.5 defender. It could definitely be a lineup I end up with, if Darwin hits the ground running and you can get away with a cheap midfield + Salah.

I'm very curious as to where the points will come from this season. I can see all of Kane, Haaland, Darwin, Jesus and Wilson becoming good options, making a front three tempting. The midfield is usually good for points, but a lot of those players (the 8.0's, Son and De Bruyne) are difficult to include. And there's a lot of good options in defence, but the question is how strong a defence you will want; many drafts have a very strong defence as you can get many points pr. million picking the right defenders, but it leaves you with a very inflexible team…

Jesus as Captain might be a good guess with his excellent pre season ?

Hahaha!

He's a good pick in your Fantasy squad IMO, but I'm not sure he's the best captaincy option in gameweek 1. I can see Palace winning at home at Selhurst Park on Friday.

Hahaha!

I really want to nail that high score GW1 then hit wildcard early if needed, I may even just build a team exclusively for the first GW.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,353

Hahaha!

He's a good pick in your Fantasy squad IMO, but I'm not sure he's the best captaincy option in gameweek 1. I can see Palace winning at home at Selhurst Park on Friday.

I think the gunners will win easily. Jesus should start every game this season like the usual big guns,salah,kane,son,etc

5 am start for that game over here... Might have to wait for the mini match or replay hours later instead.

Who's your Captain atm, Salah ?

Michail Antonio usually starts the season well.

Conor Gallagher and broja back to chelsea atm.

Hahaha!

I really want to nail that high score GW1 then hit wildcard early if needed, I may even just build a team exclusively for the first GW.

I can see Some people using the triple captain this week to get off to a flying start.

Do you think Ronnie will start ?

Hahaha!

On Twitter and elsewhere I see some FPL managers deliberately setting up their teams for the first three gameweeks, with plans to wildcard in gameweek 4. On the plus side, you can target very good fixtures, and won't have to worry about your team being inflexible (you can go big at the back, targeting easy fixtures for defenders for example). The downside is that you might end up stuck with that plan. I've toyed with the idea of a team that targets just the first few fixtures, but I doubt I will go through with that plan; I might want a team that target the early fixtures, while still being flexible enough to change up a bit with transfers.
    My current draft has £2.5m in the bank and I don't hate it… :-?

I also got two other draft variants – one with £3.5m (!) in the bank, and one with £1.0m in the bank, and the only changes I've made between all three of these drafts is two of the starting eleven spots!
    Jesus your captain ? ;)
    Jesus your captain ? ;)

Haha, no! I'm pretty set on Salah as my gameweek 1 captain, and I've had the armband on him since the launch of the game! :-)
    Not sure about Roniie, United's transfer windows is a bit of a joke at the moment. Hardly looked at my team last few days been busy at work, I do have Friday off so will do the whole build up to deadline I will fully focus on my team then.
    Friday is my last vacation day, and I'll be spending hours tinkering with my team as well. I don't have many spots to make a decision about, and I hope the team news will help me decide the final gameweek 1 team. One of the key decisions for me now is Kane or Haaland…
    Friday is my last vacation day, and I'll be spending hours tinkering with my team as well. I don't have many spots to make a decision about, and I hope the team news will help me decide the final gameweek 1 team. One of the key decisions for me now is Kane or Haaland…

I will likely watch Lets talk FPL, I think he does one of the better countdown to deadline streams.

Its guaranteed I will probably change my team a hundred times lol I think you have said this before and its what I will do... I will open several windows with alternate drafts then pick one near the deadline.

I will likely watch Lets talk FPL, I think he does one of the better countdown to deadline streams.

Its guaranteed I will probably change my team a hundred times lol I think you have said this before and its what I will do... I will open several windows with alternate drafts then pick one near the deadline.

Yes, Andy at Lets talk FPL has been doing great content for several years now, and has always been good at deadline streams. If I end up watching one gameweek 1 deadline stream, it's likely to be his.

There are so many people doing FPL streams now, with Fantasy Football Scout, Fantasy Football Hub and many more publishing a lot of content on their channels. I try to stick with just a few channels these days (and often just catching highlights), since following several content creators takes up a lot of time. I've also found that I've done worse in FPL when I've been following more channels and podcasts; you don't really need that much insight and that many opinions affecting how you play the game.

Yup, I will likely have a few drafts open in several windows as well, and just push the transfer button in whichever draft feels best at 18:29 UK time tomorrow :))

That being said, it won't surprise me if the site crashes at that time, so it's best to have sorted out a "bus team" 45-30 mins before the deadline, just to be sure.