The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 35 deadline: Sat 27 Apr 11:00 UK time!*

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2020 Posts: 23,376
    My new acquisition Antonio scored, can he save my GW [-O<

His goal took me back into the top 50K, currently at 43K
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Final Back of the net! league table: 2018/19

1. Dinamo Skruknott - TOT: 2324
    2. LVLA Skopje 05 - TOT: 2191
    3. Oh Na Na What’s Mané - TOT: 2178
    4. We Need Help - TOT: 2112
    5. Kloppites - TOT: 2089
    6. Flitwick Flyers - TOT: 2059
    7. TEAM EXTREME - TOT: 2010
    8. alisson wonderland - TOT: 1992
    9. The Wizard Rises - TOT: 1991
    10. Mexico Power - TOT: 1936
    11. Octobenny - TOT: 1857
    This is last seasons standings, this year a lot less points overall @Torgeirtrap your final total is in the top 125 in the world if it were this year.

Admittedly last year you could bank on a larger group of players being consistent.

By the end of this season I am probably going to finish 200 points better off.
    My new acquisition Antonio scored, can he save my GW [-O<

His goal took me back into the top 50K, currently at 43K

I almost brought him in the week before his massive four goal haul, but didn't want to take a hit to do it. Afterwards I had other transfers to prioritise…
    Final Back of the net! league table: 2018/19

1. Dinamo Skruknott - TOT: 2324
    2. LVLA Skopje 05 - TOT: 2191
    3. Oh Na Na What’s Mané - TOT: 2178
    4. We Need Help - TOT: 2112
    5. Kloppites - TOT: 2089
    6. Flitwick Flyers - TOT: 2059
    7. TEAM EXTREME - TOT: 2010
    8. alisson wonderland - TOT: 1992
    9. The Wizard Rises - TOT: 1991
    10. Mexico Power - TOT: 1936
    11. Octobenny - TOT: 1857
    This is last seasons standings, this year a lot less points overall @Torgeirtrap your final total is in the top 125 in the world if it were this year.

Admittedly last year you could bank on a larger group of players being consistent.

By the end of this season I am probably going to finish 200 points better off.

Yeah, I've not been able to pick up enough points this year. Looking at my gameweek ranks, there's been many difficult gameweeks where I've ranked 2-3m or lower, along with a few decent ones. Picking the right captain and finding a team that delivers from gameweek to gameweek has been really hard. To make things worse, I've spent more time on FPL this season that last season!

You're having a great season! You were quite early on the Fernandes train, weren't you? He delivered from the start, so that definitely had an impact on the overall rank from the time he started playing for United. It sort of reminds me of my first season (2017/18), when Salah had his first season at Liverpool. I had him in my gameweek team from gameweek 1, much because the price he had then made my team structure easier to work with. Far from everyone had him in their teams then. And he started delivering straight away – and consistently. Several podcasts and FPL people thought he just had a good start and that he wouldn't be able to keep it up, but as it was my first season, I found it easier to just put the armband on him almost every gameweek, and worry about transfers instead. And it really paid off; he kept delivering goals and assists all through the season, taking me to an 83k overall rank in the end, and 2223 points. I must have plenty of luck to reach that many goals now.
    @Torgeirtrap yeah I think I got Fernandes almost immediately. The TAA and Gomez double up along with Salah for a good chunk of the season constantly delivered and bailed me out of potentially bad GW's.
    GW1 really set my season up well, it was one of the highest scores of the season for me, a good start is vital I think. Pre disruption I was 16K and before the league was disrupted I really felt momentum and believed I would get top 10K. Unfortunately I have just not recaptured the focus and good form and fortune I have built up. Really hope I can still get a top 50K rank. This GW I have had a 10K red arrow drop to 45K, its going to be close.

To be honest yesterday because of my catastrophic Triple Captain and not looking ahead at F. A. Cup games I really thought I may throw away the lead in our league.

Speaking of F. A. Cup, very tricky knowing which assets will play in the next GW after the Cup matches. Dare I keep Sterling and KDB and risk another debacle...
    @Torgeirtrap yeah I think I got Fernandes almost immediately. The TAA and Gomez double up along with Salah for a good chunk of the season constantly delivered and bailed me out of potentially bad GW's.
    GW1 really set my season up well, it was one of the highest scores of the season for me, a good start is vital I think. Pre disruption I was 16K and before the league was disrupted I really felt momentum and believed I would get top 10K. Unfortunately I have just not recaptured the focus and good form and fortune I have built up. Really hope I can still get a top 50K rank. This GW I have had a 10K red arrow drop to 45K, its going to be close.

To be honest yesterday because of my catastrophic Triple Captain and not looking ahead at F. A. Cup games I really thought I may throw away the lead in our league.

Speaking of F. A. Cup, very tricky knowing which assets will play in the next GW after the Cup matches. Dare I keep Sterling and KDB and risk another debacle...

Indeed, having a Liverpool defence double-up really paid off for many managers this season. Other priorities prevented me from benefiting from that myself, and that has no doubt had an impact on my season – the first half at least.

As for having a good start; it's not really necessary. I've seen teams that have been pretty low in the rankings 10-15 gameweeks into the season (and even longer too), but after some decent captaincy picks and transfers, they have soared up the rankings into top 100k and better. But to do that, they've a streak of good decisions, which isn't always easy in FPL. It's no doubt better to get a good start, and build on that. Jay Egersdorff, a long-time FPL player, predicted that in order to finish inside the top 100k, you usually need a consistency of scoring around 60 points on average. My own average is 58,7 at the moment, which fits well with Egersdorff's calculations, as I'm at 140k right now.

I think the break has turned things upside down for many. The unlimited transfers in the first gameweek after the restart gave many a new opportunity to build squad, whereas those who used the break to build their teams maybe felt that the unlimited transfers made their efforts during the break useless. For my own part, this impacted my chip strategy, and I didn't benefit from the Bench Boost…boost many got. I used the Free Hit instead as I already felt I had a decent squad, but in hindsight I should have done what many managers did, with playing the Bench Boost. I've never been able to catch up those points since the restart.

I don't think anyone will catch up with you now! It must take some enormous scores to do so – which also tells that you've had a great season! As for the FA Cup, it really makes things difficult to predict. Ideally, I want to captain a City or United asset, and the way my team looks like now, I will probably have to, even with the uncertainty of cup rotation. I'm also debating wether to play the Bench Boost this gameweek or not. If I do, I'm looking at taking a -8 hit in order to field a decent squad, which is very, very risky. It could pay off, but it will take more luck than I've had so far this season! Alternatively, I can play it next gameweek, saving a transfer, and do a mini wildcard. But as it's the last gameweek of the season, rotation might be just as heavy then…

Indeed, having a Liverpool defence double-up really paid off for many managers this season. Other priorities prevented me from benefiting from that myself, and that has no doubt had an impact on my season – the first half at least.

As for having a good start; it's not really necessary. I've seen teams that have been pretty low in the rankings 10-15 gameweeks into the season (and even longer too), but after some decent captaincy picks and transfers, they have soared up the rankings into top 100k and better. But to do that, they've a streak of good decisions, which isn't always easy in FPL. It's no doubt better to get a good start, and build on that. Jay Egersdorff, a long-time FPL player, predicted that in order to finish inside the top 100k, you usually need a consistency of scoring around 60 points on average. My own average is 58,7 at the moment, which fits well with Egersdorff's calculations, as I'm at 140k right now.

I think the break has turned things upside down for many. The unlimited transfers in the first gameweek after the restart gave many a new opportunity to build squad, whereas those who used the break to build their teams maybe felt that the unlimited transfers made their efforts during the break useless. For my own part, this impacted my chip strategy, and I didn't benefit from the Bench Boost…boost many got. I used the Free Hit instead as I already felt I had a decent squad, but in hindsight I should have done what many managers did, with playing the Bench Boost. I've never been able to catch up those points since the restart.

I don't think anyone will catch up with you now! It must take some enormous scores to do so – which also tells that you've had a great season! As for the FA Cup, it really makes things difficult to predict. Ideally, I want to captain a City or United asset, and the way my team looks like now, I will probably have to, even with the uncertainty of cup rotation. I'm also debating wether to play the Bench Boost this gameweek or not. If I do, I'm looking at taking a -8 hit in order to field a decent squad, which is very, very risky. It could pay off, but it will take more luck than I've had so far this season! Alternatively, I can play it next gameweek, saving a transfer, and do a mini wildcard. But as it's the last gameweek of the season, rotation might be just as heavy then…

Think I am for the first time since restart going to do nothing, my only dilemma is Antonio or Greenwood. I have a feeling the United will beat West Ham though likely to consede and Greenwood will he be rested for the F. A. Cup.

I will likely have Antonio as first sub

Think I am for the first time since restart going to do nothing, my only dilemma is Antonio or Greenwood. I have a feeling the United will beat West Ham though likely to consede and Greenwood will he be rested for the F. A. Cup.

When in doubt, doing nothing is always and option. It's surprising how often it works out. You don't fancy playing Antonio? I see some managers tat own Antonio, are benching him though.

I'm looking at three different options myself, but I'm yet to decide. One includes playing the Bench Boost with a -8/-12, one is doing nothing, and the third option is to make one transfer.

When in doubt, doing nothing is always and option. It's surprising how often it works out. You don't fancy playing Antonio? I see some managers tat own Antonio, are benching him though.

I'm looking at three different options myself, but I'm yet to decide. One includes playing the Bench Boost with a -8/-12, one is doing nothing, and the third option is to make one transfer.

Swapped Greenwood to bench, I may change my mind again lol

I did think Sterling to Salah though I am 0.1m short, plus Liverpool v Chelsea usually not high scoring and how motivated are Liverpool right now?

Hits with bench boost is worth doing
    My team for the penultimate GW, no transfers made...
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Sterling KDB Martial (c) Fernandes (v)
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

First Sub: Antonio... my other Substitutes are garbage
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

Looks good! Antonio sub is risky, but might pay off if West Ham are on the beach already.

I did think Sterling to Salah though I am 0.1m short, plus Liverpool v Chelsea usually not high scoring and how motivated are Liverpool right now?

Had too many doubts going through with that many hits (despite the fact that I should play more aggressively in the final stages of the season); ended up doing nothing at all, which leaves me two free transfers for gameweek 38, and Bench Boost to play. Team is:

McCarthy
    Alexander-Arnold – Doherty – Aurier
    David Silva – De Bruyne – Fernandes (C) – Salah
    Jesus – Greenwood – Rashford
    (Foster – Stephens – Fernández – Hayden)
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

Looks good! Antonio sub is risky, but might pay off if West Ham are on the beach already.

Had too many doubts going through with that many hits (despite the fact that I should play more aggressively in the final stages of the season); ended up doing nothing at all, which leaves me two free transfers for gameweek 38, and Bench Boost to play. Team is:

McCarthy

That's a good line up, I would have got Salah in for Sterling if I only had that 0.1m in the bank extra.

I have a feeling Antonio may be involved for me as I expect one player to drop out either KDB or Sterling, with Pep roulette its almost a given. I try to stay away from City players as even though they deliver now and then they could be benched for a few weeks. As its David Silva's last few games for the club I suspect he will play the remainder of the season.

Looking forward to GW38 City and Arsenal have great home fixtures with potential of huge scores. Glad I kept hold of Sterling with two free transfers that last GW is set up nicely.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 17,293
    Here are the penultimate captaincy picks of the season!
    Salah: III II
    Fernandes: III
    Kane: II
    Sterling: II
    van Dijk: I
    De Bruyne: I
    Aubameyang: I
    Mané: II
    Jiménez: I
    Martial: I

Salah leads the captaincy picks this gameweek, with five manager backing him against Chelsea. Fernandes is the second most popular option, playing West Ham. Good luck everyone!
    _______

I'll get back to you all with the gameweek winner update later; simply forgot to do it before the deadline, sorry!

The final deadline of the season is next Sunday, at 15:00 UK time, which means we'll get a bit more time deciding what to do with our teams!
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

McCarthy

That's a good line up, I would have got Salah in for Sterling if I only had that 0.1m in the bank extra.

I have a feeling Antonio may be involved for me as I expect one player to drop out either KDB or Sterling, with Pep roulette its almost a given. I try to stay away from City players as even though they deliver now and then they could be benched for a few weeks. As its David Silva's last few games for the club I suspect he will play the remainder of the season.

Looking forward to GW38 City and Arsenal have great home fixtures with potential of huge scores. Glad I kept hold of Sterling with two free transfers that last GW is set up nicely.

I figured it was "good enough" of a team to field this gameweek. With the uncertainty around the cup – and Aurier, for obvious reasons – I found it best to just sit tight and do nothing. Stephens and (less positive) Fernández to come on if rotation hits hard.

We have to expect some rotation, so I wouldn't be surprised if you'll have Antonio coming on. Couldn't ask for a better sub though!

Yes, having two free transfers for gameweek 38 can be a huge advantage. As mentioned on a FPL stream earlier: "There's points to have this gameweek too" – but given that there's so many factors at play with the FA Cup and everything, having two free transfers gives you more options.
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

McCarthy

I figured it was "good enough" of a team to field this gameweek. With the uncertainty around the cup – and Aurier, for obvious reasons – I found it best to just sit tight and do nothing. Stephens and (less positive) Fernández to come on if rotation hits hard.

We have to expect some rotation, so I wouldn't be surprised if you'll have Antonio coming on. Couldn't ask for a better sub though!

Yes, having two free transfers for gameweek 38 can be a huge advantage. As mentioned on a FPL stream earlier: "There's points to have this gameweek too" – but given that there's so many factors at play with the FA Cup and everything, having two free transfers gives you more options.

I have a feeling Arsenal may beat City tonight, though it will be down to City missing chances as they will dominate possession. Lacazette surely will start he is the danger man for sure, I expect him to score.
    We're already underway with the penultimate gameweek, but we have to congratulate MEJICO POWA on being our gameweek 36+ winner! Well played! =D>

rAlLX3K.jpg
    Gameweek winners:

GW 1: George’sRetrorockets
    GW 2: DICKLESS TOWN
    GW 3: Benny’s Blues
    GW 4: Benny’s Blues
    GW 5: Anotherwastedcorner
    GW 6: Anfield FC
    GW 7: George’sRetrorockets
    GW 8: 11 FishFingers
    GW 9: LVLA Skopje 05 / EMRE CAN Fan
    GW 10: EMRE CAN Fan
    GW 11: Dinamo Skruknott
    GW 12: Team Extreme
    GW 13: EMRE CAN Fan
    GW 14: DICKLESS TOWN
    GW 15: MysticWarlordsOfKa’a
    GW 16: Team Extreme
    GW 17: Anfield FC
    GW 18: Overload
    GW 19: Dinamo Skruknott
    GW 20: bobby’sfashionsense
    GW 21: bobby’sfashionsense
    GW 22: Team Extreme
    GW 23: DICKLESS TOWN
    GW 24: LVLA Skopje 05
    GW 25: Anfield FC / Team Extreme
    GW 26: Manchester United
    GW 27: DICKLESS TOWN
    GW 28: bobby’sfashionsense
    GW 29: Overload
    GW 30+: bobby’sfashionsense
    GW 31+: LVLA Skopje 05
    GW 32+: Dinamo Skruknott
    GW 33+: Team Extreme
    GW 34+: MEJICO POWA
    GW 35+: George'sRetroRockets
    GW 36+: MEJICO POWA:
    League table standings:

1.Team Extreme: GW 46 – TOT 2168
    2. Dinamo Skurknott: GW 57 – TOT 2114
    3. 11 FishFingers: GW 48 – TOT 2073
    4. LVLA Skopje 05: GW 57 – TOT 2050
    5. Anfield FC: GW 27 – TOT 1961
    6. AFC Fritzson: GW 40 – TOT 1934
    7. Anotherwastedcorner: GW 46 – TOT 1923
    8. MysticWarlordsOfKa’a: GW 38 – TOT 1901
    9. Overload: GW 48 – TOT 1883
    10. EMRE CAN Fan: GW 42 - TOT 1878
    11. bobby’sfashionsense: GW 39 – TOT 1871
    12. bliblikadek: GW 35 – TOT 1864
    13. DICKLESS TOWN: GW 21 - TOT 1862
    14. MEJICO POWA: GW 64 – TOT 1862
    15. Flitwick Flyers: GW 40 – TOT 1778
    16. Benny’s Blues: GW 35 – TOT 1753
    17. GoldyThRef: GW 30 – TOT 1708
    18. George’sRetroRockets: GW 36 – TOT 1693
    19. Manchester United: GW 61 – TOT 1442
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

McCarthy

I have a feeling Arsenal may beat City tonight, though it will be down to City missing chances as they will dominate possession. Lacazette surely will start he is the danger man for sure, I expect him to score.

I wish I was that optimistic about Arsenal's chances, but I think City will absolutely destroy Arsenal. The gap between those two teams is simply too large.
    Congratulations MEJICO POWA

Norwich down to ten men, though can Burnley take advantage
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

McCarthy

I wish I was that optimistic about Arsenal's chances, but I think City will absolutely destroy Arsenal. The gap between those two teams is simply too large.

Unfortunately I don't have BT sport so cant watch the game, thankfully Man United V Chelsea is on terrestrial TV tomorrow.
    Norwich down to 9 men lol still 0 - 0, City will get a cricket score next GW against Norwich.

Burnley goal Chris Wood
    Looks like this will be a very one-sided game! To my frustrations, the option I considered all the way up to the deadline but didn't go through with, was to bench Aurier, bring in Bardsley for Fernández, playing the Burnley man…
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

McCarthy

Unfortunately I don't have BT sport so cant watch the game, thankfully Man United V Chelsea is on terrestrial TV tomorrow.

The PL rights are owned by one distributor over here, so we don't have the headache of having to have multiple subscriptions to watch the PL games. Rights to other leagues and tournaments are owned by different distributors though, so to watch all the big league requires several subscriptions.
    Looks like this will be a very one-sided game! To my frustrations, the option I considered all the way up to the deadline but didn't go through with, was to bench Aurier, bring in Bardsley for Fernández, playing the Burnley man…
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

McCarthy

The PL rights are owned by one distributor over here, so we don't have the headache of having to have multiple subscriptions to watch the PL games. Rights to other leagues and tournaments are owned by different distributors though, so to watch all the big league requires several subscriptions.

I already pay for Sky and Amazon so refuse to pay for BT. Man United were on BT last game v Palace. I avoided the score and watched the whole match on MUTV at Midnight. I tend to do the same with European games as BT have CL and Euroopa League rights.
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

McCarthy

I already pay for Sky and Amazon so refuse to pay for BT. Man United were on BT last game v Palace. I avoided the score and watched the whole match on MUTV at Midnight. I tend to do the same with European games as BT have CL and Euroopa League rights.

You're lucky there's a MUTV then! Nothing like that for Arsenal, unfortunately. I don't pay for more than a subscription covering the PL myself, and my regular TV subscription covers most of the rest.
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

McCarthy

I already pay for Sky and Amazon so refuse to pay for BT. Man United were on BT last game v Palace. I avoided the score and watched the whole match on MUTV at Midnight. I tend to do the same with European games as BT have CL and Europa League rights.

You're lucky there's a MUTV then! Nothing like that for Arsenal, unfortunately. I don't pay for more than a subscription covering the PL myself, and my regular TV subscription covers most of the rest.

MUTV is £7.99 its handy for pre season games and games mentioned, though I tend to unsubscribe when nothing is happening, I am not a big fan of watching old matches I have already seen. Sport for me is all about the emotions in the moment which cant be recreated on a rewatch, I think that's why films about sport often fail.

I am surprised Arsenal don't provide a similar online channel, though admittedly I have not checked what other teams do.
    Henderson
    TAA Egan Coady
    Greenwood Ings Jiminez

McCarthy

I already pay for Sky and Amazon so refuse to pay for BT. Man United were on BT last game v Palace. I avoided the score and watched the whole match on MUTV at Midnight. I tend to do the same with European games as BT have CL and Europa League rights.

MUTV is £7.99 its handy for pre season games and games mentioned, though I tend to unsubscribe when nothing is happening, I am not a big fan of watching old matches I have already seen. Sport for me is all about the emotions in the moment which cant be recreated on a rewatch, I think that's why films about sport often fail.

I am surprised Arsenal don't provide a similar online channel, though admittedly I have not checked what other teams do.

That's not a bad price actually. Well worth it if you're a United fan.

I think Arsenal could benefit from a similar platform; they have match coverage and some live streams, but I don't think it's comparable to MUTV. No full matches at least. I do wonder though, if the corona situation might make teams look at similar solutions for extra revenue, now that fans can't go to the stadiums.
    Bardsley on for bonus points as well. Might be another decision I've got wrong this season…
    Bardsley on for bonus points as well. Might be another decision I've got wrong this season…

Have you just sold him?

FPL has Pope as man of the match... against 9 men :-O

---

I see Arsenal are leading going into half time

Have you just sold him?

---

No, I didn't buy him! One of my options going into this gameweek was to get him instead of saving the transfer…

That's strange? He's a bonus points magnet though.
    _______

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS HAPPENED!

Have you just sold him?

---

No, I didn't buy him! One of my options going into this gameweek was to get him instead of saving the transfer…

_______

I had a feeling City would lose, in front of goal the loss of Aguero is catching up with them. Jesus and Sterling grab goals though City really don't have anyone prolific at the moment.

Have you just sold him?

---

_______

I had a feeling City would lose, in front of goal the loss of Aguero is catching up with them. Jesus and Sterling grab goals though City really don't have anyone prolific at the moment.

Maybe that's why you're having such a great FPL season? :-? :D

I didn't expect this. At. all. Arsenal were lucky against Liverpool, and I thought City would punish them if they played like they did Wednesday. Couldn't be happier being wrong!

Have you just sold him?

---

_______

Maybe that's why you're having such a great FPL season? :-? :D

I didn't expect this. At. all. Arsenal were lucky against Liverpool, and I thought City would punish them if they played like they did Wednesday. Couldn't be happier being wrong!

Football really is a funny old game and often difficult to predict lol

Ings has scored again, one good decision I made during restart, hopefully he will get more. I read that the Bournemouth defence is decimated by injurys etc.

I was surprised Rodri and Fernandinho were on the bench for City, when I saw that I felt Arsenal had an even better chance.
    Ings penalty... Saved [-( that's points deducted, hopefully he will still get bonus