NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• FoxRox wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    This sucks :( why'd this movie have to be so cursed? It's a real shame VOD isn't considered feasible. Anything just to get the film out would be nice, but of course it's all about the money.

In a perfect world we would have gotten Danny Boyle's B25 in 2018 or 2019 and now EON would be writing the script for Fukunaga's B26 starring a new Bond actor to be released on 2022 for the 60th anniversary.

I don’t know about that. A lot of the rumblings I heard about Boyle’s Bond didn’t sound very appealing to me.

We may well have dodged a bullet there.

It’s possible that Boyle’s film would have been terrible, and that it would have bombed, and we would have spent the last year panicking about the future of the series while media and commentators would have published article after article yelling about how “Bond is finished!” and while Eon were mulling what to do Covid hits and closes everything. Ah well.
    Walecs wrote: »
    This sucks :( why'd this movie have to be so cursed? It's a real shame VOD isn't considered feasible. Anything just to get the film out would be nice, but of course it's all about the money.

In a perfect world we would have gotten Danny Boyle's B25 in 2018 or 2019 and now EON would be writing the script for Fukunaga's B26 starring a new Bond actor to be released on 2022 for the 60th anniversary.

I don’t know about that. A lot of the rumblings I heard about Boyle’s Bond didn’t sound very appealing to me.

We may well have dodged a bullet there.

It’s possible that Boyle’s film would have been terrible, and that it would have bombed, and we would have spent the last year panicking about the future of the series while media and commentators would have published article after article yelling about how “Bond is finished!” and while Eon were mulling what to do Covid hits and closes everything. Ah well.

Yes. To just have a Bond 25 film of any kind, having kept Boyle would have gotten the job done in time, but I have my doubts about it. The ideas of a prison drama Bond movie and death of Bond do not appeal to me at all. I’d still rather keep on waiting on NTTD, which looks very much like a Bond movie - and potentially a great one.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,554
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I predict........one day before NTTD is intended to be released, we'll get the announcement that it's been delayed until November 2022.

Sorry. Bad joke

Carry on.............

I wish this joke wasn't so possible to actually happen. If they keep on pushing this film and things don't get better, we might get a November 2021 release date first, then a November 2022 one next. It's just starting to feel like an endless cycle with this movie.

True. I imagine they'd aim sooner, though if delayed again. Possibly February 2021?

They'll have to hurry if they want a February release, as this is likely where Black Widow will move to.

Problem is, February isn't going to be much better.

I'm wondering if WW84 and BW moved back, behind NTTD, because they now view that film as the one that will kickstart cinemas.

I agree. Maybe I'm weird, but even if I saw NTTD on digital, I'd gladly pay full price to see the film again in theaters, at a later date.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    TripAces wrote: »

I agree. Maybe I'm weird, but even if I saw NTTD on digital, I'd gladly pay full price to see the film again in theaters, at a later date.

Me too. I paid full price to see Spectre twice, I'd totally do the same for NTTD. Either that or I'd simply wait for a theatrical release.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 4,400
    I predict........one day before NTTD is intended to be released, we'll get the announcement that it's been delayed until November 2022.

Sorry. Bad joke

Carry on.............

I wish this joke wasn't so possible to actually happen. If they keep on pushing this film and things don't get better, we might get a November 2021 release date first, then a November 2022 one next. It's just starting to feel like an endless cycle with this movie.

True. I imagine they'd aim sooner, though if delayed again. Possibly February 2021?

They'll have to hurry if they want a February release, as this is likely where Black Widow will move to.

I'm wondering if WW84 and BW moved back, behind NTTD, because they now view that film as the one that will kickstart cinemas.

I genuinely think that a February bump is necessary. I understand that the marketplace probably won't be much different at all from November. We will still have social distancing, capacity restrictions and masks.

However, you'd hope by then that a vaccine would be approved (though most likely not distributed), nonetheless, but you'd see (1) The markets improve; and (2) Public confidence return en masse.

Currently, you have a situation where theatres are re-open but people either don't know, or don't care (because there is nothing to see aside Tenet).

orig-1589756291245.jpg

I think if Eon release in November, they would have the marketplace to themselves. However, as Tenet has shown. This is not necessarily a good thing. You need a competitive marketplace, because if people see Black Widow and enjoy themselves, then they turn up for new films, etc.....if the only place you're getting new films is Netflix, then viewing habits change. Which means exhibition changes fundamentally.

I think theatres and the exhibition industry have done so much for Kevin Feige and his MCU, pulling Black Widow will basically put them on life-support. Indiewire speculated that the upcoming USA elections and the predicted contentious nature could lead to poor domestic ticket sales.

Whatever the result of the US election, there is going to be a lot of protests and civil unrest, so perhaps November just isn't a great month to tell Americans to 'go to the movies.' Not to mention that California and new York (the biggest markets in America) are still closed and plans for re-opening are still vague.

I think we might get an announcement in the coming days that Bond is going into 2021....
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

Sorry. Bad joke

Carry on.............

I genuinely think that a February bump is necessary. I understand that the marketplace probably won't be much different at all from November. We will still have social distancing, capacity restrictions and masks.

However, you'd hope by then that a vaccine would be approved (though most likely not distributed), nonetheless, but you'd see (1) The markets improve; and (2) Public confidence return en masse.

Currently, you have a situation where theatres are re-open but people either don't know, or don't care (because there is nothing to see aside Tenet).

orig-1589756291245.jpg

I think if Eon release in November, they would have the marketplace to themselves. However, as Tenet has shown. This is not necessarily a good thing. You need a competitive marketplace, because if people see Black Widow and enjoy themselves, then they turn up for new films, etc.....if the only place you're getting new films is Netflix, then viewing habits change. Which means exhibition changes fundamentally.

I think theatres and the exhibition industry have done so much for Kevin Feige and his MCU, pulling Black Widow will basically put them on life-support. Indiewire speculated that the upcoming USA elections and the predicted contentious nature could lead to poor domestic ticket sales.

Whatever the result of the US election, there is going to be a lot of protests and civil unrest, so perhaps November just isn't a great month to tell Americans to 'go to the movies.' Not to mention that California and new York (the biggest markets in America) are still closed and plans for re-opening are still vague.

I think we might get an announcement in the coming days that Bond is going into 2021....

Well they did just post something on the official 007 page about the Matera shoot. Find out in November it says
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 850
    NTTD will be only november.
    I guess he gonna be project in cinemas during months (especialy in the ones who will not be opend in November), especialy if all other movie continue to be delayed.
    In the early 2021 there is go chance it still will be projected in lot of cinemas.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    If theaters will stay open in the UE like they’re now, at this point is gonna be November.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 824
    November 2021 has to be better than the very risky November 2020. By this time next year a vaccine may have been rolled out. Case numbers are increasing in UK and there is talk of increasing lockdown measures if the group of six strategy doesn't work. It's not as if interest is accumulating on the $200 million. By next November, we're just a month away from the 60th anniversary which will be a valuable marketing tool.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Why moving ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ could deepen movie theaters’ pandemic woes - The cautious optimism surrounding cinema reopenings is beginning to waver as studios mull another wave of release date changes.

Warner Bros.’ decision to move “Wonder Woman 1984” from October to Christmas Day could potentially help “Tenet” boost its domestic box office. But it will be little comfort for thousands of theaters that now face renewed uncertainty as studios mull yet another wave of release slate changes.

“There was a big push by the major chains to get their theaters open, and now it’s looking like they overplayed their hand,” Exhibitor Relations analyst Jeff Bock told TheWrap. “Now, they’re facing at least six weeks of no major new releases, and possibly longer if the end-of-year slate collapses.

For three weeks, cautious optimism was beginning to build as nearly 3,000 theaters in the U.S. and Canada reopened with capacity restrictions and safety protocols that multiple theater owners tell TheWrap were well received by customers. Numbers were steadily rising at the box office, including a reported $20 million four-day opening for “Tenet” on Labor Day weekend.

But a series of setbacks came this past weekend. Shortly after the “WW84” move was announced on Friday, Universal and MGM announced that it would move the Nia DaCosta horror film “Candyman” out of its late October release to an unspecified date in 2021. Then, WB reported that “Tenet” took a 29% weekend-over-weekend drop to earn $6.7 million, bringing its domestic total to $29.5 million while overall box office business for the weekend only reached approximately $15 million.

On top of that, Warner Bros. has come under fire in the press for not releasing daily box office numbers on “Tenet,” which would provide crucial data for theaters and other studios trying to determine whether business is picking up. Warner Bros. has only released “Tenet” numbers on Sunday to avoid public misconceptions of the film’s performance given the unprecedented circumstances of its release, along with reports that some theaters in smaller markets that have reopened are only doing so on weekends to lower operating costs.

But even given the circumstances, U.S. numbers for “Tenet” look a lot more concerning given newer context. The $20 million Labor Day domestic opening was actually padded by multiple days of preview screenings along with an early release in Canada. In reality, the film grossed only around $9 million during its first Fri.-Sun. run on the weekend of Sept. 4. That calculates to a per-theater average of approximately $3,200. This past weekend, with only 100 more theaters added and several major cities like New York and Los Angeles still closed, the average fell to $2,310.

Some analysts still think that’s solid when graded on the COVID curve. B.Riley financial analyst Eric Wold called the numbers an “encouraging and a positive indicator of demand given all of the COVID-19 headwinds” and “a sign of potentially longer theatrical legs as moviegoers adjust.” Prior to release, B.Riley had projected a domestic run of $50-55 million for “Tenet.”

But Bock says that such numbers are not what any studio wants to see for their $200 million blockbuster.

[/b]“There’s no way to cut corners: That’s a poor result, especially for a film trying to bail out theaters,” Bock said. “Credit to Nolan for wanting to try to help theaters and to Warner Bros. for trying this experiment, but these aren’t the results that any tentpole is aiming for to ensure profitability.”[/b]

https://www.thewrap.com/why-wonder-woman-1984-move-could-help-tenet-but-deepen-problems-for-theaters/

----

After ‘Tenet’ stumbles and ‘Wonder Woman 2’ moves, movie theaters brace for rough fall

“Movie theaters need three things to sustain themselves,” says Sodano. “They need profits, they need people and they need product. Well, this pandemic has affected all three.”

Sodano isn’t sure when he’ll begin making moves to reopen. The box office performance of Warner Bros.’ “Tenet,” the Christopher Nolan science-fiction epic that many exhibitors hoped would lure audiences back to cinemas during the coronavirus, has done little to assuage his anxiety. The film earned a meager $6.7 million in its second weekend, bringing its domestic haul to a disappointing $29.5 million.

“‘Tenet’ is a big movie, Christopher Nolan is a big director, and Warner Bros. is a big studio, but there’s one thing they can’t control, and that’s their audience,” says Sodano. “I know this is a marathon and not a sprint, but when you look at those numbers, it does not give me confidence that people are ready to come back to theaters.”

Studios seem to agree. Last week, Warner Bros. moved “Wonder Woman 1984” from Oct. 2 to Christmas, and Universal pushed “Candyman” from Oct. 16 to an undetermined time in 2021. That followed the decision by Disney’s 20th Century to delay “The King’s Man” from Sept. 18 to Feb. 26, 2021. On Sept. 14, STX added to the list of postponements, announcing it would release the Gerard Butler disaster film “Greenland” in the U.S. at some unspecified point in the fourth quarter instead of debuting it this month.

There’s also skepticism that Disney will go forward with its plans to release “Black Widow,” the upcoming Marvel movie, on Nov. 6, or the Pixar adventure “Soul” on Nov. 20, particularly if theaters aren’t allowed to come back online in Los Angeles and New York, where they remain shuttered. That means cinemas will have to gamble that “Tenet” remains enough of a draw that it can keep the box office humming until “No Time to Die,” the next James Bond adventure, opens on Nov. 20. In the meantime, exhibitors are begging studios to take a look at the films they’ve pushed into 2021 and reconsider launching them in October or late September, which are now largely devoid of big-budget releases.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-movie-theaters-coronavirus-no-time-to-die-1234771424/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Sony animation film ‘Connected’, due to release on October 23rd, has been indefinitely delayed.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/connected-sony-pictures-animation-delayed-coronavirus-1234579241/

Only five wide releases remain before NTTD.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    So that article reports these releases. I plan on seeing some I normally wouldn't search out.

But I have my limits of course.
    640px-Deadline_logo.svg.png
    https://deadline.com/2020/09/connected-sony-pictures-animation-delayed-coronavirus-1234579241/

Here’s how the wide release fall schedule is shaping up. The below schedule does not count moderate theatrical releases. There aren’t any wide releases for the next three weekends.
    October 9
    Honest Thief (Open Road/Briarcliff)
    War With Grandpa (101 Studios)

October 16
    2 Hearts (Freestyle)

October 23
    Death on the Nile (20th/Disney)

October 30
    Fatale (Lionsgate)

November 6
    Black Widow (Disney)–Subject to move
    Let Him Go (Focus Features)

November 13
    The Comeback Trail (Cloudburst)
    Freaky (Universal/Blumhouse)
    Deep Water (20th/Disney)

November 20
    No Time to Die (MGM)
    Soul (Disney)—Subject to move

November 25
    The Croods: A New Age (Universal/DreamWorks Animation)
    Voyagers (Lionsgate)
    Happiest Season (Sony)

December 4
    The Empty Man (20th/Disney)

December 11
    Free Guy (20th/Disney)

December 18
    Coming to America 2 (Paramount)
    West Side Story (20th/Amblin/Disney)
    Dune (Warner Bros/Legendary)

December 25
    Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros)
    News of the World (Universal)

December 30
    Escape Room 2 (Sony)

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited September 2020 Posts: 8,034

Between this usually reliable source and the recent marketing push, I'm hopeful the film is sticking to schedule.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 13,020
    Specifically:
    daily_mail_b_w.png
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8746063/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Tom-Cruise-pulls-Impossible.html

The new Bond film No Time To Die is due to open here on November 12, eight days before it is released in the United States.

There's a lot of nervousness following the release of Christopher Nolan's ace time-bending thriller Tenet, which opened while cinemas were still closed in many major markets like California and New York, and while the necessary precautions of socially-distanced seating put a dent in ticket sales.

No Time To Die will open in November, because it must.

The film's already in its second marketing campaign (an April date was abandoned due to the lockdown).

Yes, I accept that at face value. For Tenet and then No Time To Die I receive it as an investment in the future of box office and cinema as it's existed. Not so much about immediate returns and subjective, narcissistic pursuits.

There's higher level activity playing out here. It's not hurtful or destructive, and based on current local guidance allowed to theaters.

"'Bond will release this November or we're as good as finished with distribution into cinemas for the forseeable future,' a rival studio executive said to me, in a Zoom call."

Sounds a lot like what was being said about Tenet earlier this summer
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    How nifty would it be if it's actually Bond that manages to save theater chains instead of TENET? I don't expect it, but it would be kind of a poetic way for Craig's tenure to finish.
    How nifty would it be if it's actually Bond that manages to save theater chains instead of TENET? I don't expect it, but it would be kind of a poetic way for Craig's tenure to finish.

I don't think that all the big theatre chains will survice, but lots of smaller cinemas, that don't belong to a chain, could profit, because they have a loyal audience and are not dependend on big mainstream movies.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 4,400
    antovolk wrote: »
    "'Bond will release this November or we're as good as finished with distribution into cinemas for the forseeable future,' a rival studio executive said to me, in a Zoom call."

Sounds a lot like what was being said about Tenet earlier this summer

When did 'saving exhibition' become MGM's calling in life?

It isn't down to Bond to save theatres. Plus, the franchise isn't ideally placed to bring people back. The Craig films did usher in a new audience, but the people who were 15 who watched CR are 30 now. So Bond's audience is skewing older. Plus, the last film was 5 years ago! It's the MCU that is the King of Cinemas these days. For context, SP came out in the year that Age of Ultron was released (!!!!!).

140772.jpg

If anything it's incumbent on Disney/Marvel to come to theatres aide. Especially after they helped them get to a $4 billion gross last year. Just saying.....If they move Black Widow, that would be the ultimate betrayal.

Also....Baz's article makes no sense. He is quoting a 'rival studio'....the same type of person who wants Bond to fail, so their product can survive.

The truth is, you don't get to plan around this virus. It decides. Even the most stringent measures can be circumvented if the virus enough room to grow. You really can't come out of this until the entire population begins vaccinations. It's the only way out now...The UK is about to go back into a partial lockdown, which means hospitality either closes or gets severely reduced. There will be no timetable for re-opening.

Bond needs the UK to survive. It's UK numbers rival those of the USA. Bond is a rare beast in this regard. SF made $161,176,369 and SP made $124,526,863 in the UK. Things are seriously bad in the UK now. I mean, properly bad. Things looked bleak two weeks ago and I can imagine in another two weeks, we will be locked down in some form.

Perhaps, they are marketing the film now for some kind of clause in their insurance contract? So they trigger some condition? Who knows....But I think it won't come out in November. I think Europe will be shutdown again by then.

edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    The official Disney websites for France and the UK no longer list specific release dates for Black Widow. Only a simple 'coming soon'. Seems like a delay is imminent for that film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Also....Baz's article makes no sense. He is quoting a 'rival studio'....the same type of person who wants Bond to fail, so their product can survive.

This isn't necessarily true anymore, though. In fact, I would say it's the opposite at the moment. Look at the number of films from 'rival studios' that blinked and moved into the unknown when Tenet didn't do as well as they had hoped. If it had done well, they'd be pushing their products as planned.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

That might shut up all the Bond haters who keep saying that "Bond is a dead franchise", "no one watches Bond movies anymore" etc.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    That’s a suicide mission for Bond. As I said multiple times I’ll be shocked if they will stick to November, especially since things will inevitably get worse by then.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 824
    November 2020 will be highly risky for NTTD and we all know it. If it opens and flops then the whole future of the franchise is in some doubt. Whoever green lighted the current marketing campaign must be starting to feel a little nervous as Europe case numbers increase and further lock down measures become likely.
    I think they’re sticking to Nov because they know the international box office will be good enough for Bond as it’s its strongest market. The US may seem expendable, especially since Bond has never been able to keep up with other big franchises in that country.
  • If November isn't possible...

V0D
    V0D
    File that.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I haven't seen Tenet, but I want to. But perhaps it's not the tentpole film that we expected to get people back. Maybe if it had a more prominent A-list actor such as Leo or Matt McConaughey as examples of Nolans previous films.

Bond is a cinematic experience that gets people out, especially if it's well received like Skyfall was. That's why I'm not too concerned unless things really go belly up in the next 2 months.
  • November 2020 will be highly risky for NTTD and we all know it. If it opens and flops then the whole future of the franchise is in some doubt. Whoever green lighted the current marketing campaign must be starting to feel a little nervous as Europe case numbers increase and further lock down measures become likely.

The future of the franchise is not in doubt, if that happens the money men know that it will be due to the pandemic rather than a loss of appetite for a Bond film.
    I’ve never thought this film would get a November Release. It’s pie in the sky IMO

Unfortunately Eon have a hugely expensive film that isn’t going to make its money back.

I can’t see that even if cinemas are open which I doubt in November, the numbers are there for people to go and watch it.

Sitting in a room in a mask with strangers pretending I’m enjoying a film isn’t near the top of my priorities and I’m sure a lot of other people feel the same way.

Cinema as we use to know It is finished for the foreseeable. Just like live music and sport.