The Brosnan era was actually more fun for Bond fans

Comments

• slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited November 2021 Posts: 652
    I'm surprised TND doesn't get more love for Robert Elswit's cinematography. It's a sleek, sharply-photographed film. The scenes with Carver in his headquarters are especially impressive, with a lot of high-contrast, noir-style lighting that make him look more severe and deranged. The Hamburg party is one of my favorite scenes in the entire series, both visually and in terms of the character interactions.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I forgot Robert Elswit did that. He does get a few nice shots in; I like how the party is introduced with that big wide shot, that's true.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I'm surprised TND doesn't get more love for Robert Elswit's cinematography. It's a sleek, sharply-photographed film. The scenes with Carver in his headquarters are especially impressive, with a lot of high-contrast, noir-style lighting that make him look more severe and deranged. The Hamburg party is one of my favorite scenes in the entire series, both visually and in terms of the character interactions.

I think it looks generic and the use of smoke on sets didn’t really make it look better. But that can also be blamed on the production designer, who was not Peter Lamont in this instance.

GE is the only good looking Brosnan film. That has better use of shadows to give a noir vibe. All the other three look more generic, though DAD at least had a more vibrant look to it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That outfit Brosnan wears in Cuba during the Goldeneye Finale is pretty awesome. Also like his stealth gear from the PTS.

I do love when Bond wears tactical outfits. It's great.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 2,075
    That outfit Brosnan wears in Cuba during the Goldeneye Finale is pretty awesome. Also like his stealth gear from the PTS.

I do love when Bond wears tactical outfits. It's great.

Agreed. Even just the all black outfits that Connery and Moore wore in both Goldfinger and LALD were both pretty slick, especially with the shoulder holster added to both. Craig’s tactical gear is NTTD is great too. It’s resourceful, but allows him to be stylish at the same time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I like the Goldfinger outfit: just a black jumper and a black polo neck shirt- nothing more fussy than that needed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 13,894
    Not practical for that sort of activity, but that was still a really nice suit that Bond wore while breaking into Carver's printing works. Brosnan had better fitting suits, but Craig has had better practical/casual clothing.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 6,677
    4QWW.gif

CxfZNAdUcAALdxN.jpg
    Not practical for that sort of activity, but that was still a really nice suit that Bond wore while breaking into Carver's printing works. Brosnan had better fitting suits, but Craig has had better practical/casual clothing.

It was a lovely suit. And Bond is all about that. Want tactical wear? Watch Ethan Hunt.

People are complaining about this? Cmon guys...Bond isn't about practicality, Bond is about style!

9a18ccb3506fd338649e7c87864f301a.jpg

EVLjcZLUUAIJaTM.jpg

Hamburg-Charcoal-Suit-2.jpg

BTW, this is a lovely thread. I really miss Pierce.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,526
    We should have a Rank the Bond Actors by Outfit, "Who Wore It Best" thread:
    Tuxedo:
    Naval:
    Tactical:
    Casual:
    Nobody wears a suit like Pierce Brosnan. No one.

Connery and Craig had the best casual outfits. The fit in Craig's films was always very debatable. Roger Moore looks good in everything. Lazenby's Prince of Wales suit was spot on.

That being said...

Dinner Jacket:

1964_goldfinger_thesuitsofjamesbond_1.jpg

Naval:

swlmbattle-smgcrop.jpg?ssl=1

Tactical:

goldeneye-james-bond-pierce-brosnan-sean-bean-1995-spy-thriller-action-film-alan-cummings-famke-janssen-movie-review-2015-spectre.jpg?w=640

Casual:

JamesBondQuantomOfSolaceChinosCardiganOutfitAshleyWeston.png

Suit:

Brioni-e1522388031481.png
    Don't think there's a more correct post here, @Univex. Knocked it out of the park first try! That exact scene from QoS would be my pick for Casual as well. Maybe that's why there's no thread for this. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2021 Posts: 14,978
    'Want tactical wear? Watch Ethan Hunt'. Here's a picture of Bond wearing great tactical wear.
    Well that makes perfect sense :))

Bond doesn't have to be in a suit at all times, as those pics prove. It was just a weird choice of outfit for that scene, and they did seem to put PB in a suit perhaps more than he needed to be. Fleming's Bond wasn't a suit monster like the film one is.
    I always thought that casual outfit that Tim wore in the Key West bits in LTK in the 'licence revoked' scenes felt like something Fleming's Bond would wear. The Jamaica stuff in NTTD too.
    Tuxedo:
    Naval:
    Tactical:
    Casual:

Yeah that'd be fun, although I think none of them did it particularly badly! :)
    Don't think there's a more correct post here, @Univex. Knocked it out of the park first try! That exact scene from QoS would be my pick for Casual as well. Maybe that's why there's no thread for this. ;)

Thank you ;)

There should be a sartorial thread for this. Lazenby, for example had the perfect Prince of Wales suit in OHMSS, and Connery is unbeatable in that three piece grey suit from Goldfinger. Dalton had a lovely pinstripe three piece suit in TLD. Not that those are Bondian choices to begin with, but very stylish indeed.

But since this is the Brosnan era thread, I really want to emphasise that this man has all the style in the world.

degtwz8-4b41b721-7baf-4384-9c52-d5945be1a734.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvN2NhZTA3OTktN2NiYS00ZDBlLThhN2QtMzk0Yzg1Y2IwZjlmXC9kZWd0d3o4LTRiNDFiNzIxLTdiYWYtNDM4NC05YzUyLWQ1OTQ1YmUxYTczNC5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.3ZQAPsYzdY3TSyq_XqErE7XjQL4NxCOdAoXasKsav8w
    mtm wrote: »
    'Want tactical wear? Watch Ethan Hunt'. Here's a picture of Bond wearing great tactical wear.

Bond doesn't have to be in a suit at all times, as those pics prove. It was just a weird choice of outfit for that scene, and they did seem to put him in a suit perhaps more than he needed to be. Fleming's Bond wasn't a suit monster like the film one is.
    Tuxedo:
    Naval:
    Tactical:
    Casual:

There's a scene in the TB novel when Bond gets to Miami and he's wearing a suit and flip flops, I'm 99% sure... lives rent free in my mind.

Also, Bond wearing suits in environments/suituations* that are very inappropriate is part of what makes Bond Bond to me. It's one of the reasons I love the Dead Island scene in SF so much. Bond uses formalwear to blend into high society where his avarice-filled antagonists usually inhabit, and his adventures take him from one place to the next so fast he barely has time to change.

*This was an unintentional typo that I kept for obvious reasons.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Bond doesn't have to be in a suit at all times, as those pics prove. It was just a weird choice of outfit for that scene, and they did seem to put him in a suit perhaps more than he needed to be. Fleming's Bond wasn't a suit monster like the film one is.
    Tuxedo:
    Naval:
    Tactical:
    Casual:

There's a scene in the TB novel when Bond gets to Miami and he's wearing a suit and flip flops, I'm 99% sure... lives rent free in my mind.

Wow! :)) I'll have to check that one out!

It's kind of funny that film Bond is the epitome of sharp bespoke Saville Row tailoring and all that when the book Bond just seemed to chuck on the same outfit half the time and only owned two or three suits, one of which was a bit old and knackered, I'm sure I remember reading at some point.

I actually think that Brosnan does commit one of Bond's worst fashion crimes with the Alan Partridge look he goes for in Monaco in GE. Some of Roger's outfits may have dated but at least they looked good at the time... :D
    And he never went full cravat...
    I take it some people around here don't wear suits that often

L-)

Fleming's Bond had a fancy for good and practical suit tailoring. And British made products and clothing. Other than that, he had an array of casual clothes, of course. As all of us stylish people do.

But I maintain that Bond is a creature of style. That's why Craig nailed it in CR and QOS, with the Prince of wales patterned trousers and shawl collared cardigans with Crocket and Jones shoes or desert boots. Connery also rocked that TB ensemble when in the clinic.

But I do love it when Bond wears a perfectly fitted suit in a situation where Ethan Hunt, for example, would wear tactical. That's what sets it apart.

But I guess we can't please anyone. Some people are not pleasant or pleasable.
    "He was wearing a very dark blue lightweight single-breasted suit over a cream silk shirt and a black knitted silk tie. Despite the heat, he looked cool and clean, and his only concession to the tropics appeared to be the black saddle-stitched sandals on his bare feet." - Chapter 11, "Domino"

And it was Nassau. I wasn't exactly right, but close!
    "He was wearing a very dark blue lightweight single-breasted suit over a cream silk shirt and a black knitted silk tie. Despite the heat, he looked cool and clean, and his only concession to the tropics appeared to be the black saddle-stitched sandals on his bare feet." - Chapter 11, "Domino"

I bet he looked grand! ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »

L-)

What a weird and illogical way of trying to provoke an argument. Wearing flip flops with a suit isn't very stylish, we're having a laugh about it.

Best not to feed them I guess.

L-)

What a weird and illogical way of trying to provoke an argument. Wearing flip flops with a suit isn't very stylish, we're having a laugh about it.

Best not to feed them I guess.

Dear @mtm, I love you :x
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Ah nice work; that doesn't seem quite as awful but it's still a challenging look! :D
    I think Sean does pop on a pair of sandals at one point in the film of TB too, although with a more casual look, which is a bit more palatable! :)

Also, Bond wearing suits in environments/suituations* that are very inappropriate is part of what makes Bond Bond to me. It's one of the reasons I love the Dead Island scene in SF so much. Bond uses formalwear to blend into high society where his avarice-filled antagonists usually inhabit, and his adventures take him from one place to the next so fast he barely has time to change.

*This was an unintentional typo that I kept for obvious reasons.

Yes, I've nothing against that: it's presumably why Ethan Hunt is wearing a Cary Grant-style suit to force his way onto the carrier plane in Rogue Nation whereas Bond wears tactical to do the same at the end of DAD; but I do think it's a bit silly how Brosnan's Bond in particular seemed to be suited when perhaps not necessary, and where the book Bond would be in his usual windcheater etc. The scene Ace mentioned was the perfect example.

Ah nice work; that doesn't quite as awful but it's still a challenging look! :D
    I think Sean does pop on a pair of sandals at one point in the film of TB too, although perhaps with shorts, which is a bit more palatable! :)

0bba73fe6a8af890fc6c0b9fa5507b45.jpg

18991371.jpg
    Anyway, back to why the Brosnan era was actually more fun. Simple answer: because he never wore sandals ;)

Daniel Craig shoes, though, were the absolute best, even though I like Pierce's buckle church shoes.

Sartorial aspect aside. I do think Pierce's 3 first films had loads of fun moments. Even TWINE had that beginning of him jumping out the window and landing with that glint in the eye and the smirk.

I've spoken with local 8 Bond fans since seeing NTTD, and they all said the same thing. Gone are the days of fun escapism and panache. Now it's all drama, no sense of fun.

GE was serious, but so much fun, through and through.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's good, I knew he wore them. The TB look is great, the YOLT one... not so much.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,035

I think Sean does pop on a pair of sandals at one point in the film of TB too, although perhaps with shorts, which is a bit more palatable! :)

18991371.jpg

Some of those YOLT costume choices somehow manage to look better on camera (in the film) than they did in real life.

18991371.jpg

Some of those YOLT costume choices somehow manage to look better on camera than they did in real life.

Get a giant Japanese castle in the background and everything looks good and exotic ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

18991371.jpg

Some of those YOLT costume choices somehow manage to look better on camera (in the film) than they did in real life.

Yes there's some real Grandad's-day-out-at-Southend-beach vibes going on in that photo :D
    slide_99 wrote: »

Really?

Like... really??!!
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    AceHole wrote: »
    In terms of how he looks, I quite liked that Craig’s run turned down the suits a bit. Brosnan’s Bond seemed to be in a suit the whole time even when he didn’t really need to be.

Quite so.
    Why the hell was he in suit and tie when he was clearly aiming to covertly sneak into Carver's Hamburg HQ...???

If we're talking about the scene that precedes the car park BMW chase, then Carver's place is in the middle of town. How silly would Bond look walking through the streets in tactical gear in broad daylight?

A suit and tie is perfectly respectable and appropriate for a secret agent in this instance.