Does anyone actually like AVTAK

Comments

• This thread needs more cowbell.
    to me its the other moore movie that i didnt enjoy as much as the rest cause of the plot being kinda weak in my eyes, the other is live and let die
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I adore The 'Kill. It's far from the best Bond, but it has quite a unique, very '80s charm and appeal for me - for many different reasons.

I could elaborate, but I put it all down here, actually, so... ;)

http://georgesjournal.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/yuppies-sequels-geeks-and-gekkos-the-10-ultimate-80s-movies/

* shameless plug *
    I like AVTAK simply because it's a Bond film. However, that's about the extent of it.

The script had a great premise, but fell flat on screen. Chris Walken should have been amazing as Zorin, but he was mostly boring to me, save for the fight on the bridge. Sir Roger should have hung up the shoulder holster after OP and while still engaging as Bond, just seemed tired and his age showed terribly. Tanya Roberts was passable, but they should have traded her for Allison Doody, who ended up in an all too brief role as Jenny Flex. The most brilliant bit of casting was Grace Jones, in my opinion. She stole every scene she was in. Also loved Patrick Macnee.

All in all, AVTAK usually falls in my bottom five when I rank the films.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited November 2011 Posts: 3,262
    I adore The 'Kill. It's far from the best Bond, but it has quite a unique, very '80s charm and appeal for me - for many different reasons.

http://georgesjournal.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/yuppies-sequels-geeks-and-gekkos-the-10-ultimate-80s-movies/

* shameless plug *
    Good work, SG! AVTAK is in my bottom 3 but its '80s charm and John Barry music make it watchable for me.
    Sir Roger should have hung up the shoulder holster after OP and while still engaging as Bond, just seemed tired and his age showed terribly. Tanya Roberts was passable, but they should have traded her for Allison Doody, who ended up in an all too brief role as Jenny Flex.
    Agree on both counts. The best thing about AVTAK for me is the fact that it caused the writers and producers to take a good hard look at where the series was at that point, leading them to produce the magnificent TLD and putting the terrific and underrated Timothy Dalton in the lead role.

I liked AVTAK myself. I liked the way May Day was used, I think Walken made a classic Bond villian. I liked the comedy relief with Tippett. The fight in the warehouse was fun, I liked the female Russian agent. The chase in the stolen fire engine was exciting and the seeing San Francisco's finest behave like Keystone Cops was great fun.
    People complain about the juvenile humor but it was heads and shoulders better than MR and DAF and most of Brosnan's films.
    12 years and 7 films I had grown quite fun of Moore's light hearted Bond and at the time I was sad to see him go but in hindsight, I fully realize that he had grown too old for the part and it was time to move on.
    It is one of the few Bond films I own in my video library since it was Moore's last I decided to buy it and I get a kick out of watching it from time to time.
    SF chase scene was bit too corny....even for Bond. Besides that I enjoy it much.

Roberts acting gets bashed but I doubt Cilla Presley would've been much better acting wise (Walken would prolly drive her nuts with Elvis questions I bet.....lmao)
  • I love AVTAK. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure, and if my memory serves me correct, I think it is numero dos on my favorite Moore Bond film list.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

* shameless plug *
    Great read, George! But there's one film that ought to have been mentioned: Top Gun. Not only is it the first film (a.f.a.i.k) that idealises the army since the Vietnam war (you might argue about if that's a good thing or not) but it also has inspired millions of young lads to try and join their respected airforces. I don't think there's any promotional film in history with such an effect. Even when I tried to join at the end of the nineties i was told some people tried to join only becouse they'd seen Top Gun over 14 times and still loved it.

Back on topic: AVTAK just has the right feel of a Bond-film. Even though many of the dialogue would've been cheezy in any other sercomstance, here, they work and are believable.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,443
    AVTAK is my Goldfinger. Rankt 5/22. The maintitle is one thing i don't like, but the dark style of the maintitle look like a trent at the time with the previous one Octopussy and the future movies TLD and LTK.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    AVTAK is my Goldfinger. Rankt 5/22. The maintitle is one thing i don't like, but the dark style of the maintitle look like a trent at the time with the previous one Octopussy and the future movies TLD and LTK.

=D>
  • I fully understand that this film is liked by people who have lived in the 1980s or who grew up with Roger Moore as James Bond. There are John Steed and Simon Templar associated against the villains. There is also Grace Jones, who was a sex symbol at that time, so was Tanya Roberts. A view to a kill is a photography of what were the 1980s. And what about the title song by Duran Duran ? Moreover, I do think this film represents the quintessence of Roger Moore's James Bond, even more than The spy who loved me. Too often, people born after Roger Moore left the role (this is my case) have a negative opinion about it, which is understandable, isn't it ? But can't we see in the scene 007 rescues Stacey Sutton from the alight elevator and climbs down from the firemen's ladder a metaphor of Roger Moore's era, where people acclaim an actor who had reached perfection for them ?

A view to a kill might have been the perfect James Bond film if only it would have been more serious and more adjusted to Roger Moore who is not to blame here contrary to the screenplay. The film would have been better if the screenplay had been focused on a « simple » spy story about doping. So, Chantilly could have been the only location of the film and the plot would have only taken place around the stables, the racecours and the castle. The film would have been too « light » in comparison to what the saga gave us since Goldfinger, but the film would have been the most original. And highlight the fact that Max Zorin is a son of nazi experiences would have added that « touch of fantasy » . But I think all that concerns Silicon Valley had to be deleted.

Yes, Roger Moore is old but not inappropriated for the rôle. We too often reproach him for being too light and not enough closer to Ian Fleming's novels, but his James Bond doesn't have an opportunity of kill. Why putting rock salt in his shotgun ? That's why the film is terrible. Focused on a screenplay more probable, A view to a kill would have been better. And it would have been even more better with Timothy Dalton as 007. He was the breath of fresh air the saga needed. With him, Lois Maxwell would have been surely replaced by a new actress. What about Michaela Clavell ? Penelope Smallbone was an interesting character. She could have been « Timothy Dalton's miss Moneypenny ».
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    @7777JamesBond I was born in 1991, thus didn't live in the 80's or during Sir Rog's tenure - but I am still a huge fan of him and all his movies, non-Bond included (love The Wild Geese and North Sea Hijack !!)... For me Sir Rog is the definitive Bond, the best Bond, a fantastic actor and an all round formidable human being, one of the truely great persons to have walked the earth these last 100 years.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    But can't we see in the scene 007 rescues Stacey Sutton from the alight elevator and climbs down from the firemen's ladder a metaphor of Roger Moore's era, where people acclaim an actor who had reached perfection for them ?.
    Agreed. That is one of AVTAK's best moments. Both Sir Rog and John Barry's elegiac score really shine in that scene.

• edited November 2011 Posts: 1,817
    It's impossible to dislike a movie with the "He's Dangerous" theme.
  • (thank heavens for saved drafts)

Roger Moore was dangerous in A View To A Kill?, someone must have watched a different movie to what I saw then

Look, I know some have Moore down as a personal favorite and run out of superlatives for the man, but I'm sorry and in some of his end features he was not above embarrassing.

I think from the burning building in SF right through to the end in this film it kind of degenerates into farce or Laurel And Hardy territory

Granted, there are moments of suspense as Moore comes down the ladder with Roberts on his back (there were genuine moments when I half wished she had fell), but for the most part it's all a bit out of place, at least Walken tries to play it straight, and for the most part, succeeds, but once Bond gets on terra firma it's just pure adolescent nonsense until the end, The Fire Truck chase, Golden Gate bridge (again) etc

I remember going to theaters at the time and it wasn't too bad, it merely followed on from Octopussy where Moore was up to some childish behavior, but looking back now, and with a new Bond playing it straight (usually), it all seems a bit silly now

Moore DID play Bond very well at times but for me, it's usually the worse parts that stick out than the good work he did, I can't forgive those involved for having James Bond apeing around in a gorilla suit or sneaking about in a crocodile set up :-L

Fleming would not only be doing turns but somersaults and double pikes..
  • @7777JamesBond I was born in 1991, thus didn't live in the 80's or during Sir Rog's tenure - but I am still a huge fan of him and all his movies, non-Bond included (love The Wild Geese and North Sea Hijack !!)... For me Sir Rog is the definitive Bond, the best Bond, a fantastic actor and an all round formidable human being, one of the truely great persons to have walked the earth these last 100 years.

Well said there. You know I forgot he was in North Sea Hijack thanks for the reminder.

I live up in Shetland so that film had a connection to us given the oil rig connection and North Sea.

• SharkShark Banned
    I love every second of it.
    It is one of my guilty pleasures among the 007 series. As a spy sotory it is an excellent one.
  • Grace Jones a <i> sex symbol ??? </i>. I don't ever remember hearing or reading that opinion. She was one of those different type of models but she sure wasn't the pinup type like Tanya Roberts was.

There's a lot I like about AVTAK, on top on the list is Walken in one of the best villain performances of the series. I enjoyed his whole crew of Willoughby Gray, Patrick Bauchau (was nice to see him in a new summer episode of Burn Notice), and yes, Jones as well when not gnashing her teeth, snarling, and semi-naked. Second is the virtual elimination of the usual stupid and vacuous sight and sound gags that particularly plagued OP and MR. I love <i>"California Girls" </i> but we should have had stirring Barry action music instead.

I like the plot as well, even if it is a twist on GF, it was well done and plausible. Topically, the computer based story was ahead of it's time, many people didn't own a computer. I never knew anyone who did and I knew lots of people who could have afforded one out of pocket if readily available.

The negatives such as Moore even being there rather than retiring after OP, Roberts' terrible acting, etc are well documented, a middle of the pack Moore entry that manages to entertain me enough to watch it from start to end.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Grace Jones as a sex symbol is just scary. That said, she was extravagant and I welcome that little 'odd' touch in the film. I like the fact that Bond also slept with someone less 'conventional' as a beauty.
    I used to absolutely love AVTAK, seeing that it was the second Bond movie I ever owned. But after I watched it time and time again, the magic fell away when I realized how boring several scenes were, and how Roger's stunt double was pretty much the new Bond in 1985. Still, I have a bit of love for AVTAK left over, and will defend it every now and again, unless a good argument is made. There are high points and low points, like any Bond movie (except GE-only high points!). The highs are Max Zorin, the music by John Barry, and the last 40 minutes or so of the movie, from the City Hall to the end credits. The lows are May Day, Stacey Sutton's constant screaming and incompetence (though she makes up for it in looks), the poor action scenes with Roger's stunt double (except the ending with Zorin), and the boring middle section.
    (thank heavens for saved drafts)

Roger Moore was dangerous in A View To A Kill?, someone must have watched a different movie to what I saw then

"He's Dangerous" is a great track of Barry... whether applies to Moore's Bond is another story...
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 546
    A View To A Kill was a good Bond film. It has it's flaws & may not be Sir Roger Moore's best Bond film, but again still good.
  • jka12002jka12002 Banned
    Roger Moore didnt even look that old as people claimed he was. Hell i thought it was kinda cool to see an older James Bond for once.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I like this film for the most part but I do wish they could have played a retirement for Bond angle in there somewhere. The next film is pretty much a minor reboot anyway so it would have been cool to acknowledge Moore's age and make it Bond's final mission or something along those lines. I also think Moore did an outstanding job considering his age but even he knew it was one film too many. It really is inexcusable that the film was so poorly edited to be able to see Moore's stunt doubles so easily on several occasions. It was my first Bond movie in the theaters so it will always hold a special place in my heart.
  • This entry has of course taken a lot of flak over the years and of course some of it is deserved. Personally I always loved this one when I was a kid and still hold a bit of a soft spot for it!

I personally agree that this probably was one to many for Rog but I guess he was just filling the space until the right new guy was available, and although getting on a bit he was still pretty good in the film and of course Zorin is one of the better villans (in my opinion).

Does anyone else out there get some enjoyment from this one or is it universally hated?

I always liked the musical score to this film. I also liked the whole scene where Bond cooks quiche. Didn't you wish that SF featured a scene where Bond, Kincade, and M would have a last meal? Wouldn't it have been a funny reference if Bond cooked quiche? This film by far was a nicer farewell for a tenure: it wasn't too OTT.
  • I never miss an opportunity to castigate this release, although to be fair, it does have some redeeming qualities if you can look hard enough

I'm not going to rip it to pieces again, people will be doubtless aware of how poor a Bond film it is. There's the awful Tanya Roberts, Grace Jones, a 57 year old James Bond of all things, 007 snowboarding (to the fckn Beach Boys), a ridiculous ending at the Golden Gate Bridge, an actor the caliber of Chris Walken wasted, poor villains, half the time we see more of Moore's stunt double than we do the actor himself, and the bottom line is, it's simply a very poor, and boring, adventure, and Roger Moore's swansong appearance, while evidently in the part long than he should of been, is not short of a total disaster

The "That is not the soap" nonsense near the very end, just about put it out of it's misery that year. It's a real pity in retrospect, that Roger Moore, while not everyones favorite James Bond, did well for the most part, only for his final appearance to be this release. It fails on just about every level I'm afraid
    It's nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be but the more I think about it, it does seem that OP represents everything the Moore era had going for it, it's got a bit of everything, so really I think it would have been perfect film for Rog to go out on, it has a celebratory feel to it.

I still think they must have had no one else suitable lined up, it's a pretty ruthless business, everyone involved must have know he was too old?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    jka12002 wrote:
    Roger Moore didnt even look that old as people claimed he was. Hell i thought it was kinda cool to see an older James Bond for once.

He certainly did!

It wouldn't have been as bad though if the women he'd been with in the film had been more closer to his age.

I never realised how dodgy the "call me James its...five days 'till Alaska" scene was until now.