Bond cars at the AutoMuseum Volkswagen, Wolfsburg, Germany

Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
in Bond Movies Posts: 3,104
I've just spent a long weekend in Berlin helping a friend celebrate his 40th birthday. While I was there, I made a side trip to the city of Wolfsburg, home of the Volkswagen factory, because I had discovered that the AutoMuseum Volkswagen was having an exhibition of Bond cars (on until March 4th).

Going on an intercity train in a foreign country on my own was a new experience, and I enjoyed the journey even though I spent most of it worrying about being on the wrong train/having the wrong ticket/getting out at the wrong station. It all went FINE, of course.

I did, however, initially manage to go to the wrong museum, the posh and expensive AutoStadt. I paid for entry and spent about half an hour looking round before it dawned on me that something was Not Right. I was too embarrassed to try and explain, and perhaps obtain a refund, so I just crept away.

Fifteen minutes' walk brought me to the right museum, which was much smaller and friendlier. I paid 6 Euros and the lady on the front desk instructed me to have 'lots of fun', which was a dangerous suggestion in the circumstances.

24991763997_dc748f29f0.jpg

The exhibition is called WOB-007, by the way, because WOB is the number plate code for Wolfsburg. I am nothing if not educational.

An aperitif before the museum proper, at the end of a long corridor hung with German Bond movie posters:

39830067042_7624ec6d24_b.jpg

The entrance to the exhibition itself:

28082652969_5ba2989e9b_b.jpg

This is a much smaller affair than the London Film Museum's mighty Bond in Motion, with a dozen cars on display as well as props, toys, posters and press cuttings. I loved getting up close to a couple of rarely-seen vehicles, and seeing German magazines and posters.

All the VWs in Bond.

28082698349_0667fb4f22_b.jpg

Sadly, the only one on display was this pickup lorry from CR67.

39862620361_ae8da69a55_z.jpg

The incredibly cute Sunbeam Alpine.

28082789289_607b96ab84_z.jpg

The Thunderball jetpack: so powerful, the thrust may cause your trousers to fall off. And your legs.

25989192798_1d5c28ca48_z.jpg

TND BMW is pleased to see you.

39862650981_4a14d7a9ce_z.jpg

Camera car used in filming TND.

39830135082_75a3030f7d_z.jpg

Unreasonable excitement at anything TLD-related.

38963703905_99ea82ce12_z.jpg

38963711275_1012f6ca51_z.jpg

Inevitable selfie? Inevitable selfie.

38963754745_20b73c1fa3_z.jpg

More/bigger pictures from the exhibition and the rest of the museum on my Flickr.

39152428944_61cf7198db_b.jpg

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    What is the insert car for TND? I don't remember seeing anything like that.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Very nice photos. It looked a fun day.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Nice! Is it a permanent showing or only temporarily?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Thanks! Great photos! Very interesting the CR'67 and NSNA inclusion...

You mean the camera/film crew car ?

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl

If I understood the sign properly, it was a camera car used for filming the car park chase - so it did all its work behind the scenes!

@GoldenGun, it's on until March 4th, but it looks like most of it is from a travelling exhibition that will go elsewhere (again, if I am Germaning correctly): http://www.bondausstellung.de/ausstellung/

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 8,678
    @Agent_99, you're Germaning correctly, though there doesn't seem to be info about the next venue after Wolfsburg.

This guy seems to have built a private collection of those cars and props and rents them out to museums. There are worse hobbies.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Excellent photos. Thanks for taking the time to create the thread and posting them @Agent_99.

I didn't realize so many VAG-Group cars had made their way into Bond films over the years. I certainly missed the Karman Ghia from OP and the didn't consciously notice the Bug in QoS.

My dad's first car was a Sunbeam Alpine. I only realized recently that this was the car in DN. I've never actually asked him if that's what inspired his purchase (pretty sure it did since he's a Bond fan).
    bondjames wrote: »
    My dad's first car was a Sunbeam Alpine. I only realized recently that this was the car in DN. I've never actually asked him if that's what inspired his purchase (pretty sure it did since he's a Bond fan).

The selling power of 007 - it was there right from the start!

And sharing the experience with you all is an absolute pleasure. Glad everyone's enjoying it as much as I did.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 8,678
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    The selling power of 007 - it was there right from the start!
    Wow. Thanks, @Agent_99...now I know why my first car (in 1976) was a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle, a "Shantung yellow" 1302, to be exact.

Too bad I never made it up to the Aston Martin level afterwards.
    Funnily enough, the first car I remember my parents having was a 2CV, and this would have been the early 80s...

It was very much the car of choice for the kind of left-wing, vegetarian flower children my folks were at the time, though.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Funnily enough, the first car I remember my parents having was a 2CV, and this would have been the early 80s...

It was very much the car of choice for the kind of left-wing, vegetarian flower children my folks were at the time, though.

Were these your parents then?

GETTY-493724.jpg
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Funnily enough again, I caught part of an episode of The Good Life just last night and Tom was wearing a scruffy old jumper exactly like one my dad used to have, so...yes!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Funnily enough again, I caught part of an episode of The Good Life just last night and Tom was wearing a scruffy old jumper exactly like one my dad used to have, so...yes!

Ha ha! Great stuff! :))
    Nice little set up there! Thanks for sharing!