The James Bonding podcast's episode on Timothy Daltons 3rd Bond movie

GumboldGumbold Atlantis
in Bond Movies Posts: 118
The James Bonding podcast just did an episode on TD's third Bond movie. They read the plot synopsis, talk about it and cast it. It's really fun. http://www.earwolf.com/show/james-bonding/

Comments

• edited October 2017 Posts: 614
    I've never been able to sit through an entire podcast from these guys. Their approach is too jokey, and I find it annoying after awhile. I listened to the beginning of the current episode to make sure they gave credit to MI6 (they did) but didn't stick around long enough to hear if they even mentioned the screenplay by Davies & Osborne based on the Ruggiero/Wilson treatment.

Their speculation about Ruggiero being an alias may have been an attempt to be funny, but it just comes off as juvenile and lazy. One Google search would have pulled up information about Ruggiero (that he was a busy television writer who worked on Miami Vice and Wiseguy). These guys seem like they don't care.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,721
    I love these guys - but their 'golden age' of episodes was the first run. (2012-2015) Now they're contractually obliged and some episodes you can feel it. This was one of them I felt. 'Bond and Beyond' podcast (who they credit) did a far more interesting and 'professional' approach to this subject. A really good episode if you'd like to check it out @Escalus5
  • GumboldGumbold Atlantis
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I've never been able to sit through an entire podcast from these guys. Their approach is too jokey, and I find it annoying after awhile. I listened to the beginning of the current episode to make sure they gave credit to MI6 (they did) but didn't stick around long enough to hear if they even mentioned the screenplay by Davies & Osborne based on the Ruggiero/Wilson treatment.

Their speculation about Ruggiero being an alias may have been an attempt to be funny, but it just comes off as juvenile and lazy. One Google search would have pulled up information about Ruggiero (that he was a busy television writer who worked on Miami Vice and Wiseguy). These guys seem like they don't care.

Yeah I figured this podcast would be too light for this forum, where everything is extremely serious. Could you expand on "the screenplay by Davies & Osborne based on the Ruggiero/Wilson treatment. " ?
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 614
    Gumbold wrote: »
    Could you expand on "the screenplay by Davies & Osborne based on the Ruggiero/Wilson treatment. " ?

William Davies & William Osborne were hired to write a screenplay based on the story treatment by Ruggiero and Wilson. The two writers even met with Dalton to get his input.

Matthew Field & Ajay Chowdhury read the screenplay and wrote about it in their book Some Kind of Hero: The Remarkable Story of the James Bond Films. They think it would've made for a strong film and firmly established Dalton in the role.

For the record, I don't mind humor when discussing the Bond series. It's the constant snarkiness in the podcast that irritates me.

'Bond and Beyond' podcast (who they credit) did a far more interesting and 'professional' approach to this subject. A really good episode if you'd like to check it out @Escalus5

I'll give it a listen -- thanks, Major.
    Interesting.