Hokiness in Bond

edited November 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,341
Despite the mammoth budgets Bond movies fall down miserably in some areas. Lets see which films failed to make the grade and take advantage of their hugh budgets
DAF- aside from the elevator fight the other fights and the helicopter raid on the oil rig were hokey and fake looking. The missiles blowing up in North Dakota, the Russian sub being destroyed and the Chinese missile base was cheesy looking. Even the blood on Saxby looked cheap and his death scene so so. The one liner by Jimmie Dean makes up for it.
DAD the wind surfing all the hokey CGI looked and smelled like some 14 year old programed it. The obvious blue sceen after Bond and his associates surfed onto that North Korean beach. The laser in the fight between Bond and mr. Kil...
LALD Kanaga's death. Hokey. Why did they have to give him such a corney and fake death for what up to that point was a good villian?
All the locations in Pierce Brosnan's films. They never took advantage of the locations and you never got the feeling that you were actually "there'.
AVTAK When Moore took the elevator down from the Eifel tower. Obvious that this was a stunt double who didn't even resemble Moore. Reminds me of that fight scene in "I'm Gonna get you Sucka!"
TSWLM When Stromberg and Anya left the tanker in that boat. It was obviously a model with dolls in it.
YOLT the volcano blowing up. Fake, fake, fake. Watch closely and in the scene where the place is racked with explosions some of the dead bodies bounce up and down like plastic soldiers. :)

Your thoughts or ideas, I know I left some out...

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    DAD : North Korea looking curiously like it was shot in England (which it was)...
    TND : All the scenes in Hamburg being set indoors...
  • I thought you said Honkiness - so that would be Live and Let Die.

YOLT - Bike torpedo and car looks like Kent.
    QoS where exactly did those 200 million US dollar go??
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    For the location filming apparently. Must be for feeding the cast and crew because i doesn't look like $200 million + of location filming on the screen.
    For the location filming apparently. Must be for feeding the cast and crew because i doesn't look like $200 million + of location filming on the screen.
    LOL I agree. I say they spent it on the locatiions, greasing some palms, feeding the cast and crew goumet meals and into the pockets of the producers ::) :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I thought you said Honkiness - so that would be Live and Let Die.

YOLT - Bike torpedo and car looks like Kent.
    :-D
    Back projection in AVTAK covering Moore's age
    DAD : North Korea looking curiously like it was shot in England (which it was)...
    Where were you expecting them to shoot? North Korea?
    Maybe South Korea would have looked more realistic ... just a thought.
  • ah the old that's not north korean mud, that's south korean mud in hertfordshire thing.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Where were you expecting them to shoot? North Korea?
    (:|

It could atleast have looked closer to actual North Korea than the bleeding obvious England forest. And that was the obvious answer to the question you asked, so I don't understand why you asked it in the first place and didn't find the answer by yourself.
    It is normal to film certain parts in places that look like somewhere else while the filming is done in a studio.

I wouldn't know North Korea from South Korea or The Bleeding English coast (unless we are talking Dover :-D ) but the thing is called suspense of dibelieve for a reason. The frigging Volcano from YOLT was on the parkinglot of the Pinewood studio. (I know if you've seen one parkinglot you've seen them all)
    Yes @SaintMark, but the N.Korea scenes in DAD felt too obvious that they weren't filmed in N.Korea... they could have picked an area somewhere that looked closer to the film location...
    Exactly, DaltonCraig007.
  • QoS plane scene: Moore era special effects were even better! I take a Moonraker over the QoS toy plane easily!