The Versus Thread - THIS WEEK: Gary 'Eggsy' Unwin vs Ethan Hunt (on p. 2)

2»

Comments

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Looks like Bond has a pretty good lead...

Bond: 9
    Bourne: 5
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    rogermoore.jpg
    vs
    Matt-Damon-Hot-Pictures.jpg

Oh, dear. Run and hide, Bond!
    Yes Bond, run and hide.

tumblr_lcetc9Rmkb1qbcsb2.jpg
    vs
    jason-bourne-matt-damon.jpg
    GettyImages-55215826.jpg
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,812
    Mighty fine picture of a couple of handsome Bonds there, although I'm not sure what significance it has to this thread.

Bond: 9
    Bourne: 5
    Tomorrow I'll be announcing the winner and presenting our new fighters. Lock in your votes if you haven't!

So far Bond has a decent lead but isn't far enough ahead to call it yet.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,812
    Our winner, with four points ahead, is... James Bond!
    Nobody does it better
    tumblr_nm67u1gByE1tx8a0mo1_500.gif

With the release of Kingsman: The Golden Circle I feel it's a good time to put Eggsy in a match. It's been a long time since I've seen the first movie and I haven't seen the new one yet. So I hope I picked a decent person for him to go up against.

Gary 'Eggsy' Unwin (Kingsman)
    set_kingsman_secret_service_taron_egerton_640-600x338.jpg
    VS
    Ethan Hunt (Mission: Impossible)
    4774719-6770843254-ethan.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Eggsy vs. Hunt:

I come down on the side of Hunt. There are a few reasons for this. Firstly, it's Tom freaking Cruise for pete's sake! Nobody does it better. Nobody puts his butt (or foot most recently) on the line like he does. Nobody makes it feel more 'real', because it is done for real. The limited CGI provides a believability for me which even the latest Bond lacks. I love his risk taking ability and chutzpah. He makes me want to exercise more. To take care of myself better. His universe is real (rather than pixel generated) to me. I can relate. Plus I'd rather have Ilsa Faust as a team mate than Roxy.

Eggsy has made massive strides in my estimation however, to the point where I actually like the guy now (I was on the fence in 2015). He's transcended his council roots and can now hob-nob with the best of them, while still being one of the lads deep down. He's developed a sense of refinement, style and elegance to the point where I'd rather have his tailor than the most recent Bond's (who should be sacked with immediate effect imho). Moreover, he's saved the world from catastrophe a couple of times already in just as many years (his hit rate is better than Hunt's in this respect) and I respect the fact that he still finds time for a bit of naughty nooky afterwards (I'm still not sure what Hunt gets up to these days in his leisure time, and why he didn't jump on Faust when he had the chance I have no idea! Get you priorities straight Ethan!). Egerton has potential though.

So ultimately, I'm a Hunt fan primarily because of Cruise and his ability to inspire me, but I'd rather have a beer with Egerton's Eggsy, who seems to know where his priorities are for a young'ish lad. In time, he could even be Bond material imho.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Eggsy. Straight up fist fight? The fight scenes in the MI films have never been that noteworthy. Anything goes? Eggsy has more gadgets, weapons, etc. Plus in Kingsman it's shown that even solo they're capable of taking on armies. There's nothing to suggest Hunt is capable of this

Or the final assault in the second one. So an easy win for Eggsy imo
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ethan Hunt. Can't stand Eggsy.
  • I'm confused. I thought the thread was about who would win in a fight not who you prefer? In which case liking Tom Cruise as an actor or not liking Eggsy as a character shouldn't matter.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ethan would win in a fight.
    I'm confused. I thought the thread was about who would win in a fight not who you prefer? In which case liking Tom Cruise as an actor or not liking Eggsy as a character shouldn't matter.
    Sorry, I messed up. In that case it's probably going to be Eggsy. He's pretty indestructible, I think the only chap who can give him a run for his money is Wick.
    Hang on ,i did this thread here earlier on my 'The World of 007 Celebrity Death Match'...but with Bond characters only...hmph.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Eggsy.
    I'm confused. I thought the thread was about who would win in a fight not who you prefer? In which case liking Tom Cruise as an actor or not liking Eggsy as a character shouldn't matter.

You are correct.

I've updated my original post to make it clear this isn't a popularity contest. This is about who would win in a fight based on skills, knowledge, resources, ect.

From what I can tell we are currently at a tie...

Eggys: 2
    Ethan Hunt: 2
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    bondjames wrote: »
    Sorry, I messed up. In that case it's probably going to be Eggsy. He's pretty indestructible, I think the only chap who can give him a run for his money is Wick.

I don't know. Wick is good and has the same really fast headshot after headshot marksmanship that Eggsy has (and they both have bulletproof suits) but he's a very human action hero, he's unbelelieveably badass but still feels like a real person. Not knocking it as that's part of what makes those movies great but I wouldn't fancy his chances up against supermen like Bourne, Bond or Eggsy. And evem if he did manage to shoot Eggsy in the head, after the last film we've learnt that they could just revive him with that healing gel and he'd be ready for round two.

I think Bond is the only one who could give Eggsy a run for his money. The most impressive thing about the MI films is the stunts. Which are impressive but his ability to do all the batshit crazy Tom Cruise stuff wouldn't help him in a fight. I think Ethan would be completely outclassed in a fight against Eggsy based off what we've seen in the movies, and if it's anything goes, well Eggsy has a bulletproof suit, Kingsman at his back (who seem much more resourceful than Simon Pegg and the rest of Hunt's team imo) and all sorts of gadgets that he's shown he can quickly and effortlessly use in the middle of a fight. The fight scenes in Kingsman are like watching a fight scene from Assassin's Creed or the Batman Arkham games. Taking out one guy after another with all sorts of different weapons gadgets and takedowns and does it all seamlessly without missing a beat. Hunt wouldn't stand a chance.

Eggsy vs Bond would be interesting because of how similar their weapons and resources are. I think Bond would take it because he's more experienced and he's less gadget reliant than Eggsy, uses his wits more, but out of all the big screen spies that'd be the closest fight.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Not sure I agree with you @thelivingroyale. Strictly in terms of broken body count, Eggsy and Wick are quite a bit ahead of Bond/Bourne on a per film basis. It's true that Wick bleeds and can be hurt, and it's also true that Eggsy has that new Statesman gadget to recover from a close range headshot, perhaps giving him an edge.

Having said that, of all the characters out there, it's still Wick who can pose a serious challenge to him based on what I've seen in the films, even if he will eventually lose. Bond would be dead inside of a few minutes, gadgets or not. One is a more 'serious' book based character and the other is a pure exaggerated comic creation. The comic guy wins every time.