What happened to Peter Hunt's career post OHMSS?

Surprisingly there is nothing about this on Wikipedia or the 'making of ohmss' book. Only a quote from Richard Maimbun saying he was a 'monster' as a director. I was a bit disappointed in that book actually considering the reviews and it's hefty price, but maybe that's for another thread.

Why was he not offered to direct or work on a Bond again? And why did he not get jobs outside of Bond? It's not like he was a bad editor/director. On the contrary there was much praise for his editorial work on the Bond films and OHMSS is well directed.

Comments

Peter Hunt did do other movies. GOLD (with Roger Moore SHOUT AT THE DEVIL (also with Moore and DEATH HUNT a gritty action/adventure with Charles Bronson!
    He didnt do another Bond as the clssic OHMSS is only getting the recognition it deserved now!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Peter Hunt did do other movies. GOLD (with Roger Moore SHOUT AT THE DEVIL (also with Moore and DEATH HUNT a gritty action/adventure with Charles Bronson!
    He didnt do another Bond as the clssic OHMSS is only getting the recognition it deserved now!

His career bombed after OHMSS. No way of dressing it up.
    I wasnt dressing it up.You asked did he work outside of Bond. He did!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    He also directed several TV shows.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    He direct Persuaders Episode 11: Chain of Events.

The Ipcress File (editor) have my intrest. It is produced by Harry Saltzman, John Barry did the music and Ken Adam production designer. Made before OHMSS.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Wasn't OHMSS considered a serious flop on arrival? That's what I recall reading somewhere, and even Wilson commented on the film being poorly received (perhaps compared to expectations) in some interview. If you screw up a Bond film box office wise you're out from what I can tell. Glen never did another one after LTK. Neither did Hamilton after TMWTGG. Not sure if either were asked back.

GOLD is a very good film. I highly recommend it. I wasn't that impressed with Shout At The Devil, but then these period pieces aren't really my style.
    Cubby always stated that no Bond movie ever lost money! But i think with OHMSS it took a while longer than previous! I'm not sure about Hamilton but according to Hohn Glens book Cubby told him they were starting the next one, with new crew!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It was the 8th biggest film of 1969.
    I'm not sure about Hamilton but according to Hohn Glens book Cubby told him they were starting the next one, with new crew!
    That must have hurt, given his long involvement with the franchise and having directed the last five in a row!
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    bondjames wrote: »
    Glen never did another one after LTK. Neither did Hamilton after TMWTGG. Not sure if either were asked back.

Take this for what it's worth, but according to the Wikipedia article for TSWLM, Guy Hamilton was originally attached to direct it until he dropped out to direct Superman instead (where he ended up being replaced by Richard Donner anyway). I assume after that he was out of the group, so to speak.
    I'm not sure about Hamilton but according to Hohn Glens book Cubby told him they were starting the next one, with new crew!
    That must have hurt, given his long involvement with the franchise and having directed the last five in a row!

I think Glen was expecting it, especially with the long gap after LTK!
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 684
    According to this interview with Hunt, he was asked back for DAF -- and apparently FYEO (IIRC they also tried to get Young back for that one, yes?).
    Q: Which leads me to my next question, why the heck did you leave the series?

A: At the end of that film, they didn't know what they were going to do, whereas prior to that we had gone on, and on and on. But the team sort of broke up and went on to other things. Then Broccoli asked me to come back for Diamonds Are Forever, but at that time he and Saltzman were fighting and I was involved with something else. I told them that if they moved the production date I might be able to, but they couldn't and so they went with Guy Hamilton. I did, however, get a beautiful review from Pauline Kael on that, who said, "The one thing missing from this film is Peter Hunt" [laughs]. Then, again, Cubby asked me when I was doing Death Hunt, and I couldn't. So each time he came to me, I couldn't do it for one reason or another, although I would have liked to, therefore the cycle broke, as it were. I did have heavy involvement in six of them, which must mean I brought something to the films. If Lazenby had done Diamonds, then I may have done it, as well as the next two, and I wouldn't have done anything else and whilst I've often been disappointed about things I wanted to do that never came off, I've done some films that I'm awfully proud of which are out of the Bond idiom, away from the protected society of Broccoli and Saltzman and all that. It was very protective for me, and very nice and good, but I was able to go off and make my own films, like Gold and Shout at the Devil, both starring Roger Moore, which I'm proud of and which were very different from Bond.

That does seem to fit the M.O. in place at that point and which continued (I think) till GE and Glenn, i.e. inviting back the director who did the current film for the next so long as they wanted it (Gilbert being the one exception during YOLT, as Hunt made Cubby/Harry promise the next one)—and if not, asking a former director or, in Hunt and Glenn's cases, former editor/second unit guy to do it. Glenn not being asked back for GE was probably the first time.

I think Barbara and MGW, too, asked each of Campbell, Spottiswoode, and Apted back after their films as well. Doubt Tamahori was asked back for CR after DAD (not solely because of how the film turned out but also because they were going in a different direction). Nothing’s ever been said of Forster being approached for SF, correct?

I wonder — if Hunt hadn’t made Cubby/Harry promise OHMSS, how would a Gilbert OHMMS have looked?

Or better yet — if they had gone and done TMWTGG in '69 with Roger Moore as had been considered, and Gilbert being asked back to direct that!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hamilton and Gilbert were also asked to direct FYEO before Glen got it.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 2,896
    Strog wrote: »
    According to this interview with Hunt...

Thanks very much for that very useful interview. It's always good to hear from Hunt.
    The_Donald wrote: »
    His career bombed after OHMSS. No way of dressing it up.

No way of supporting that with facts, you mean. Hunt actually had a good post-Bond career. Gold and Shout at the Devil were big-budget adventure films with an internationally-known star (Roger Moore). The same can be said for Death Hunt, with Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson. Even Hunt's TV work--The Persuaders, The Last Days of Pompeii, Philip Marlowe, Private Eye--was highly regarded. True, his last few credits were forgettable, but Hunt did well post-OO7, better than many other Bond directors. Gold and Shout at the Devil in particular are highly recommended, and (of course) very well directed.

Oh, and here's that Pauline Kael quote Hunt mentioned, from her review of DAF:
    ...the film doesn't have anything like those flamboyant sequences in the snow--the ski chase and the bobsled run--that were quite literally dazzling in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. What's missing may be linked to the absence of Peter Hunt, who worked on the action sequences of all the earlier Bonds, and who directed the last one; perhaps it was he who gave the series its distinctive quality of aestheticized thrills. The daring seemed beautiful in the earlier films--precariously glorified. This time, even when a sequence works (that is, both daring and funny) such as the car chase, and the battle between Connery and the black and white Amazons, it lacks elegance and visual opulence; it looks like sequences of the same kind in Bond imitations. No doubt those of us who love the Bond pictures are spoiled, but really we've come to expect more than a comic car chase.
    Gilbert doing FYEO was the one I wasn't sure on, and I had no idea they went back to Hamilton either. Suppose feelings weren't too hard then when he went and worked on Superman.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Minion wrote: »
    Glen never did another one after LTK. Neither did Hamilton after TMWTGG. Not sure if either were asked back.

Take this for what it's worth, but according to the Wikipedia article for TSWLM, Guy Hamilton was originally attached to direct it until he dropped out to direct Superman instead (where he ended up being replaced by Richard Donner anyway). I assume after that he was out of the group, so to speak.
    I didn't know that. Thanks. Hamilton could have probably given us an interesting TSWLM but I'm glad we got the special Gilbert touch for that one. A near perfect film for me.
    Nothing’s ever been said of Forster being approached for SF, correct?
    Forster was asked back for the next one after QoS (in 2008, before they had the idea for SF and Mendes) but declined as I recall.
    Gilbert doing FYEO was the one I wasn't sure on, and I had no idea they went back to Hamilton either. Suppose feelings weren't too hard then when he went and worked on Superman.
    Gilbert would have been great for FYEO imho. That film was good as it was, but I think Sir Rog and he would have nailed it and given it a bit more flair.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Minion wrote: »

Yes, that is factually correct.
    Forster was asked back for the next one after QoS (in 2008, before they had the idea for SF and Mendes) but declined as I recall.
    Oh he was! Interesting. So potentially three instances then of directors not being asked back: Gilbert post-YOLT (due to the promise to Hunt), Glen post-LTK (due to basically renovating the franchise), and Tamahori post-DAD (due to reboot -- did a quick search just now; his name was tossed around for directing that rumored JINX spinoff, but nothing on what was then Bond 21; since Eon does tend to ask their directors back, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Tamahori had been brought back if CR had gone ahead with Brosnan).
    Gilbert would have been great for FYEO imho. That film was good as it was, but I think Sir Rog and he would have nailed it and given it a bit more flair.
    Yes, I'd definitely have liked to see what Gilbert could have done with a smaller plot and operating under a more restrictive budget, specifically without a massive Ken Adam set. Gilbert was the perfect kind of director for Bond. Given the opportunity to do FYEO, I think he would've shined. Look at the beginning of MR, when Bond is doing genuine spy work before the plot escalates. Tremendous stuff.
    Yes, I'd definitely have liked to see what Gilbert could have done with a smaller plot and operating under a more restrictive budget, specifically without a massive Ken Adam set. Gilbert was the perfect kind of director for Bond. Given the opportunity to do FYEO, I think he would've shined. Look at the beginning of MR, when Bond is doing genuine spy work before the plot escalates. Tremendous stuff.
    Yes, that's well noted. The spy stuff in the earlier part of MR is really a highlight and very nicely done. Same goes for TSWLM & YOLT. Gilbert is a bit underrated in my view. There was far more to him than the spectacle.
    According to this interview with Hunt, he was asked back for DAF -- and apparently FYEO (IIRC they also tried to get Young back for that one, yes?).
    Q: Which leads me to my next question, why the heck did you leave the series?

A: At the end of that film, they didn't know what they were going to do, whereas prior to that we had gone on, and on and on. But the team sort of broke up and went on to other things. Then Broccoli asked me to come back for Diamonds Are Forever, but at that time he and Saltzman were fighting and I was involved with something else. I told them that if they moved the production date I might be able to, but they couldn't and so they went with Guy Hamilton. I did, however, get a beautiful review from Pauline Kael on that, who said, "The one thing missing from this film is Peter Hunt" [laughs]. Then, again, Cubby asked me when I was doing Death Hunt, and I couldn't. So each time he came to me, I couldn't do it for one reason or another, although I would have liked to, therefore the cycle broke, as it were. I did have heavy involvement in six of them, which must mean I brought something to the films. If Lazenby had done Diamonds, then I may have done it, as well as the next two, and I wouldn't have done anything else and whilst I've often been disappointed about things I wanted to do that never came off, I've done some films that I'm awfully proud of which are out of the Bond idiom, away from the protected society of Broccoli and Saltzman and all that. It was very protective for me, and very nice and good, but I was able to go off and make my own films, like Gold and Shout at the Devil, both starring Roger Moore, which I'm proud of and which were very different from Bond.

That does seem to fit the M.O. in place at that point and which continued (I think) till GE and Glenn, i.e. inviting back the director who did the current film for the next so long as they wanted it (Gilbert being the one exception during YOLT, as Hunt made Cubby/Harry promise the next one)—and if not, asking a former director or, in Hunt and Glenn's cases, former editor/second unit guy to do it. Glenn not being asked back for GE was probably the first time.

I think Barbara and MGW, too, asked each of Campbell, Spottiswoode, and Apted back after their films as well. Doubt Tamahori was asked back for CR after DAD (not solely because of how the film turned out but also because they were going in a different direction). Nothing’s ever been said of Forster being approached for SF, correct?

I wonder — if Hunt hadn’t made Cubby/Harry promise OHMSS, how would a Gilbert OHMMS have looked?

Or better yet — if they had gone and done TMWTGG in '69 with Roger Moore as had been considered, and Gilbert being asked back to direct that!

Thanks for that. I for one however don't buy that he was asked back. What was he doing that was so important that he couldn't direct Diamonds? Come on, no rookie director is going to turn down that kind of money, let alone the prestige & career advancement.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Agreed. I think someone pointed out a while ago in the Is Moonraker the most purely cinematic Bond film ever thread that there is 20 or so minutes in the middle of the film with Just Bond sluething and not a single word of dialogue spoken (Just Ahhhhhh noises from the henchman).

Strangely, that's how more films are going today, with Jason Bourne, Mad Max and Dunkirk leading the way.
    Yep MR starts out just great. Then after Venice goes full blown carry on. Sad!

Still a tremendous score, one of the very best...
    Yes, that's well noted. The spy stuff in the earlier part of MR is really a highlight and very nicely done. Same goes for TSWLM & YOLT. Gilbert is a bit underrated in my view. There was far more to him than the spectacle.
    Couldn't agree more. If I could have any single Bond director come back it'd be Young, second would be Hunt, then Gilbert. If I'm in the right mood, I might even take Gilbert over Hunt. In general he just knew how to give his films some life. Hamilton did, too (to a lesser extent after DAF but it was still there). Glen couldn't do it at all, and neither have any of the directors since him. (Oddly, I feel that Forster comes closest, which might be heresy but hey ho.)
    The_Donald wrote:
    Thanks for that. I for one however don't buy that he was asked back. What was he doing that was so important that he couldn't direct Diamonds? Come on, no rookie director is going to turn down that kind of money, let alone the prestige & career advancement.

Valid speculation! I'd think the same. The man had spent a decade doing Bond, however, so that combined with a probably tiring OHMSS shoot and the then-uncertain future of the franchise, he may simply have wanted out. As you imply, though, we'd have to take him at his word.
    Agreed. I think someone pointed out a while ago in the Is Moonraker the most purely cinematic Bond film ever thread that there is 20 or so minutes in the middle of the film with Just Bond sluething and not a single word of dialogue spoken (Just Ahhhhhh noises from the henchman).

MR is truly under-appreciated. By no means should it be the template for Bond films going forward, but it is far from being the worst film in the series. Added to the great moments of sleuthing, Moore's in peak form, the cinematography is outstanding (the scene with the dogs chasing Corinne through the forest stands out as especially gorgeous), the editing is the best Glen ever did (he somehow manages to make even the gondola bit artful), Lonsdale nails it as Drax, Barry turns in one of his best scores (and his single best track ever might be Bond Lured to Pyramid) and of course Ken Adam is the best he's ever been. The ending in particular is the best of all Gilbert's films (following the battle, when Bond has to shoot the globes before they enter the atmosphere). I wish there was this kind of ambition in the franchise now. It must have been a ton of fun to make.

As for YOLT, it's under-appreciate as well. It takes flack for its story, and rightfully so. But I feel like watching YOLT for the story is doing it wrong, to some degree. Much like GF, the story seems purposefully secondary to everything else that's going on, the sheer iconography being developed in front of you.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 2,896
    I would much rather have had Hunt return. Gilbert was by far the least interesting filmmaker in Moonraker, whose only real strengths are Adams's sets, Jean Tournier's cinematography, Barry's music, and John Glen's editing (most evident in the centrifuge and dog chase scenes) and second-unit direction. The one factor Gilbert was most directly responsible for--acting--is terrible: Moore on autopilot, Lois Chile giving embarrassing, narcotized line readings, and Michel Lonsdale impersonating a two-by-four.