'Oh My Good Gawd' : 'Minder' TV show Appreciation & Discussion.

2»

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Thanks, I remember it being on TV in the 90s, but never watched a whole episode.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Thanks, I remember it being on TV in the 90s, but never watched a whole episode.

Oooh the 90's ,that's a new series with Terry's nephew instead of Terry,which isn't bad ,but then there was another attempt at a remake after that in 2009 which was terrible.

Stick with the 80's,or '79 for series 1 ...make sure its Dennis Waterman as Terry and George Cole as Arthur,then you are in good company.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Oooh the 90's ,that's a new series with Terry's nephew instead of Terry,which isn't bad ,but then there was another attempt at a remake after that in 2009 which was terrible.

Stick with the 80's,or '79 for series 1 ...make sure its Dennis Waterman as Terry and George Cole as Arthur,then you are in good company.

I think it was repeats that I might have seen, Barry. George Cole was in these ones.

I think it was repeats that I might have seen, Barry. George Cole was in these ones.

Worth watching a few more then ;)
    Yes, I must make a point of seeing a few episodes on ITV4.
    Good man...if you are recording it,it's on twice a day,but don't record the 6am episode ,as it has an annoying man signalling to the deaf in about a third of the bloody screen.

Do the later one and the plonker wont be there.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Good man...if you are recording it,it's on twice a day,but don't record the 6am episode ,as it has an annoying man signalling to the deaf in about a third of the bloody screen.

Lovely stuff. Glad I'm not the only who gets annoyed by this. By all means have it but why can't it be on the red button or something?

There's about 10 episodes on ITV player at the moment Draggers. Get stuck in.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited June 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Used to enjoy this when I was a kid. When it first aired I should have been a little young for it but my parents would watch it so I saw many episodes - George Cole was a brilliant light comedian. I also had a Minder video game on the Spectrum 48K back in the 80s and it was one of my favourite games. You'd have 15 days to buy and sell goods hoping you could get deals, and not get nicked by Chisholm and the cops for goods being bent. it was great fun. It even had the theme tune in 8-bit glory playing as you drove between locations like the lock-up and the Winchester.

Lovely stuff. Glad I'm not the only who gets annoyed by this. By all means have it but why can't it be on the red button or something?

There's about 10 episodes on ITV player at the moment Draggers. Get stuck in.

Thanks, Wiz! Will do!
    Used to enjoy this when I was a kid. When it first aired I should have been a little young for it but my parents would watch it so I saw many episodes - George Cole was a brilliant light comedian. I also had a Minder video game on the Spectrum 48K back in the 80s and it was one of my favourite games. You'd have 15 days to buy and sell goods hoping you could get deals, and not get nicked by Chisholm and the cops for goods being bent. it was great fun. It even had the theme tune in 8-bit glory playing as you drove between locations like the lock-up and the Winchester.

I didn't,and still don't know that game even existed ,and I had a bloody Spectrum as well !!!

For our non British friends,and indeed British,here are the opening credits and music of this fantastic piece of our history :

I didn't,and still don't know that game even existed ,and I had a bloody Spectrum as well !!!

Someone's put a brief clip on youtube...also someone has put a game for an hour and a quarter on youtube!?! Madness...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ntqWiZPUJSA

mindplay_screenshot_msx_02_tradingatthewinchesterclub.jpg

Someone's put a brief clip on youtube...also someone has put a game for an hour and a quarter on youtube!?! Madness...

I am seriously gutted at this....I didn't know and it looks brilliant for the time.....where's Dr Who when you need a quick time leap back !!

Was it really good ?

I am seriously gutted at this....I didn't know and it looks brilliant for the time.....where's Dr Who when you need a quick time leap back !!

Was it really good ?

It was weirdly addictive. I can't quite explain its appeal. It had a lot of character though - which goes along way with current games too. But back then I liked the show and the cheeky, wheeling-dealing aspect to it. So you were often trying to get rid of stolen stuff before the cops found you at the lock up (which would mean you'd go to jail and lose cash and days in the game). If a trader who you sold stolen goods to found you later they may punch you out (if Tel was around they wouldn't). It also had high re-playability because you would try and beat your personal best grand total of money or individual sales. And you'd start to get a feel for what was actually worth buying, how much was the peak you could aim for to selling it. (TVs were good to sell, tins of gludge or rat traps not so much!)

You can find spectrum emulators online nowdays and download them and play Minder! I played it this way just a couple of years ago.

Was it really good ?

It was weirdly addictive. I can't quite explain its appeal. It had a lot of character though - which goes along way with current games too. But back then I liked the show and the cheeky, wheeling-dealing aspect to it. So you were often trying to get rid of stolen stuff before the cops found you at the lock up (which would mean you'd go to jail and lose cash and days in the game). If a trader who you sold stolen goods to found you later they may punch you out (if Tel was around they wouldn't). It also had high re-playability because you would try and beat your personal best grand total of money or individual sales. And you'd start to get a feel for what was actually worth buying, how much was the peak you could aim for to selling it. (TVs were good to sell, tins of gludge or rat traps not so much!)

You can find spectrum emulators online nowdays and download them and play Minder! I played it this way just a couple of years ago.

I've tried that with several games and it never seems to work...ce'st la vie.

Ooh btw ,I bought 'Minder - the Dennis Waterman years' 20 disc box set for £9.95 on Amazon (bought some Sweeney stuff too)....a bargain if anyone fancies it !
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 3,144
    For our non British friends,and indeed British,here are the opening credits and music of this fantastic piece of our history :

Write the theme tune sing the theme tune !!!....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HHp_yZHsCg0/U2TvResjm-I/AAAAAAAAajg/dQMVBaKxYOY/s1600/Arthur+Daley.jpg

Used to have these on my XR3i back in the 80s.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

Write the theme tune sing the theme tune !!!....

Hahaha I always remember in 'Little Britain Live' when David Walliams was doing 'Little Dennis Waterman' and the real Dennis Waterman walked on stage behind him..he was shocked to see him....brilliant stuff.
    As with all great drama, the key is the relationships Here between Terry and Arthur. The dialogue and execution is superb. Comedy and violence on the surface but genuine affection (perhaps love) between the two. Its wonderful writing. The early ones are the best IMHO where you actually see Terry bleed.
    I often wonder of they should have been very brave and have Terry killed off in a final 2 hour special. George Cole was more than up to the acting challenge. The nation would have wept
    I think they were keeping the door open for Dennis to come back once he had some time off,so they wouldn't kill him off.
    George Cole and Dennis Waterman had me in stitches growing watching this show. Especially when Sgt Chisum was involved, the banter was and still is priceless!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Was it really good ?

I had this game and it was bloody addictive. Trouble is I was shit at it and always ended up bloody skint!

Was it really good ?

I had this game and it was bloody addictive. Trouble is I was shit at it and always ended up bloody skint!

Now it sounds even more of a challenge...gutted.