The changing perception of Bond movies over the last 25 years.

edited May 2017 in Bond Movies Posts: 623
I really enjoyed the ‘Ultimate Bondcast’ where four Bond fans, (who really know their Bond), ranked the movies, and chatted about the pros and cons of each movie.

Basically, their ranking went thus...

25 QOS
24 DAD
23 AVTAK
22 TMWGG
21 TWINE
20 SP
19 NSNA
18 DAF
17 LTK
16 TND
15 TB
14 DN
13 TLD
12 L&LD
11OP
10 YOLT
9 MR
8 FYEO
7 GE
6 SKY
5 FRWL
4 GF
3 CR
2 OHMSS
1 TSWLM

Without getting into the rights and wrongs of the rankings, I’d like to talk a little about how things have changed in the last twenty five years, with regards to how the pre-90’s Bond films are viewed.
When I started having a more than passing interest in things Bond, it was in the late eighties and early nineties. Back then of course there wasn’t the internet, we got our views and news from books and magazines. The Raymond Benson Bedside Companion was a bit of a Bond-bible back then. And we had the 007 magazine too. The letters pages gave fans their voice in much the same way as the forum. So what’s changed in the years, concerning the perception of Bond movies?
Quite a lot I reckon!
In 1992, the Roger Moore era was seen as ‘spoof Bond’, and Moonraker, (which is number 9 in the above rankings) was seen as the complete Bond nadir. No self-respecting serious Bond fan would champion Moonraker.
The Dalton era was seen as the saviour of the franchise. Raymond Benson declared Licence To Kill “the best Bond film since Thunderball”. It’s strange now, to see two of the previously considered Moore ‘spoof’ Bond films (OP and MR), above the Dalton pictures. They’re looked at with fondness now, rather than with annoyance.
The Connery era seems to be considered less of a classic era these days. Back in the early 90’s the DN/FRWL/GE/TB run was seen as the pinnacle of the series, with Dalton ushering in a new Golden era. Now, only two of those 60’s classic make the top ten.
If you’d have suggested a Roger Moore Bond film was the best Bond film ever, in 1992, you’d have been laughed out the room!
Have any other long-term Bond fans noticed these changes?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm loving that #1.

We share four of the top five. The only one of mine missing from that top 5 is TB (they typically have fan favourite GF instead).

EDIT: In terms of perceptions, I've found they tend to go in circles. We've been on a serious kick for a decade or two, and perhaps a lighter touch is called for, hence Moore's reassessment among a few fans. The same thing happened when Brozza succeeded Dalts.
    I think over time current trends can have a baring on perception, CR a grittier Bond made people including myself reflect more on Dalton's films and they became in some quarters more highly regarded. Myself have always liked Daltons films, I was never a big fan of Brosnan though I accept his films more I accept them for what they are and the time period they reflected.
    The biggest change is the love that's felt for the Moore Bond films. Back in the early 90's, he was almost like the anti-Bond.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Craig was the biggest change in changing the public perception of Bond. Love it or hate it, by disregarding the formula it breathed fresh like into the franchise
    If Bond did not evolve he would not have lasted 50 years, make that 55 years I can't believe it's 5 years since the 50th Anniversary crazy.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Agreed. It's time he evolved again imho.