James Bond's Medals

in Literary 007 Posts: 5,808
Over the years, James Bond has received quite a few medals, either from his government or from others, and some have been... strange, to say the least. Let's look at them in detail, starting with the ones he received in Ian Fleming's novels, and the continuations.

For starters, we know, as per Fleming, Bond is a Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. Georges (CMG for short, also known as "Call Me God", according to Yes, Minister). According to Wikipedia, it's awarded to people who render important non-military services in relation to the Commonwealth and other foreign nations, and is sixth-most senion order in the Britsh Honour System :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_St_Michael_and_St_George

I find the fact that it's the only medal noted by Fleming to be a little strange. After all, the Bond of Fleming's novels was a WW II veteran, and had seen action during the conflict. So being given only a medal used to honour civil servants instead of a military medal (such as the Victoria Cross or the Distinguished Service Order) is funny, to say the least. But perhaps the work Bond did during the war was so secret it couldn't be given a military award. Or Fleming decided to keep those things secret. Still, it's notable for the reason that it's the first medal we see in the movies when Bond puts on his unifrom, in FYEO, as evidenced here :

yolt.jpg

It's also consistent with a Royal Navy officer who saw action during WW II.

The second medal mentioned by Fleming is the Jamaican Police Medal, awarded to Bond and Leiter at the end of TMWTGG. I'm afraid my google-fu was not strong on this one. The closest I could find has been created only in 1969 : The Order of Distinction.

[urlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders,_decorations,_and_medals_of_Jamaica[/url]

So, if someone here can find that elusive Police Medal, feel free to post it here.

You have to go to the Gardner books to find mention of another medal given to Bond, and it's a strange one : the Order of Lenin, given to him at the end of The Man from Barbarossa. Fans of the movies will know that it was also given to Bond at the end of AVTAK. Which makes Bond one the rare british citizens to have been awarded that medal, along Kim Philby. Not a company I would like to be associated with if I were a british secret agent (or even a french one, for that matter).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Lenin

It's to be noted that in the movies, the third and last time we see Bond in uniform (in TND, the ribbon doesn't appear among his decorations :

tnd.jpg

The last medal I found is also the stangest one, for me at least. At the end of Death is Forever, Bond is awarded the Croix de Guerre by the french government. And that's where there's a problem. You see, there are three reasons why that medal can be awarded. First, for gallant action during WW I Croix de Guerre 14-18), which is why it isn't given anymore, because all the people who fought in that conflict are now deceased. Or for gallant actions during WW II (Croix de Guerre 39-45). Or for gallant actions outside of Frech territories (Croix de Guerre TOE -Théâtres d'Opérations Extérieures). So, given that the climax of this adventure takes place in the french part of the Chunnel (IIRC), Bond and his lady friend could not have received it for actions in foreign country. One can argue that maybe the government decided to award it to Bond for actions during WW II (the litterary Bond certainly could have earned one or two of these), but that doesn't apply to his companion. The Légion d'Honneur would have been a much better fit, as recent events have demonstrated :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croix_de_Guerre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Thalys_train_attack

So, are there other medals Bond recieved in the novels or the movies I wasn't aware of ? Fell free to discuss it here.

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I like your idea for this thread, @Gerard.

Here's a near miss, from Goldfinger:
    The Swiss Special Brigade had quickly found Bond's car and had got on to the route by which Bond and the girl had been taken to America, but there, at Idlewild, the FBI had lost the scent. M seemed pleased with the way Bond had handled Operation Grand Slam, but he said the Bank of England were worrying him about Goldfinger's twenty million pounds in gold. Goldfinger had assembled all this at the Paragon Safe Deposit Co in New York but had withdrawn it on D-l. He and his men had driven it away in a covered truck. The Bank of England had ready an Order in Council to impound the gold when it was found and there would then be a case to prove that it had been smuggled out of England, or at least that it was originally smuggled gold whose value had been increased by various doubtful means. But this was now being handled by the US Treasury and the FBI and, since M had no jurisdiction in America, Bond had better come home at once and help tidy things up. Oh yes - at the end of the conversation M's voice had sounded gruff - there had been a very kind request to the PM that Bond should be allowed to accept the American Medal of Merit. Of course M had had to explain via the PM that the Service didn't go in for those sort of things-particularly from foreign countries, however friendly they were. Too bad, but M knew that this was what Bond would have expected. He knew the rules. Bond had said yes of course and thank you very much and he'd take the next plane home.
    American Medal of Merit
    Medal_for_Merit.jpg

Established 1942 by the President, last award 1952 (award proposal of 1947), a civilian award for "exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services ... since the proclamation of an emergency by the President on September 8, 1939" and to "civilians of the nations prosecuting the war under the joint declaration of the United Nations and of other friendly foreign nations". Originally the highest US civilian award, now it ranks (of all numbers) seventh.

A noted recipient was spy William Stephenson, who held the code name "Intrepid" in WWII--and is suggested as a real world model for Ian Fleming's James Bond.

It appears Bond in the 1950s wouldn't be eligible for this, as it's limited to apply to wartime actions and does not allow new proposals since 30 June 1947. A nice idea, though.

Awardees include:
    Dean Acheson (June 30, 1947)
    Irving Berlin (1945)
    Leroy Randle Grumman (1948)
    W. Averell Harriman (1946)
    J. Edgar Hoover (March 8, 1946)
    Bob Hope
    Al Jolson (1950)
    J. Robert Oppenheimer (1946)
    Eddie Rickenbacker
    William Stephenson (1946)
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 2,895
    Another near-miss, from Moonraker:
    "That was the Prime Minister," M. said gruffly. "Says he wants you and Miss Brand out of the country." M. lowered his eyes and looked stolidly into the bowl of his pipe. "You're both to be out by tomorrow afternoon. There are too many people in this case who know your faces. Might put two and two together, when they see the shape you're both in. Go anywhere you like. Unlimited expenses for both of you. Any currency you like. I'll tell the Paymaster. Stay away for a month. But keep out of circulation. You'd both be gone this afternoon only the girl's got an appointment at eleven tomorrow morning. At the Palace. Immediate award of the George Cross. Won't be gazetted until the New Year of course. Like to meet her one day. Must be a good girl. As a matter of fact," M.'s expression as he looked up was unreadable, "the Prime Minister had something in mind for you. Forgotten that we don't go in for those sort of things here. So he asked me to thank you for him. Said some nice things about the Service. Very kind of him."
    M. gave one of the rare smiles that lit up his face with quick brightness and warmth. Bond smiled back. They understood the things that had to be left unsaid.

On a related note, On Her Majesty's Secret Service discusses some medals awarded to Bond's allies:
    Not many years before, M had been awarded the KCMG for his services, and Miss Moneypenny, his desirable secretary, had revealed in a moment of candour to Bond that M had not replied to a single one of the notes and letters of congratulation. After a while he had refused even to read them and had told Miss Moneypenny not to show him any more but to throw them in the wastepaper basket.

As for Draco:
    Marc-Ange, who had turned up in a 'cylindre' and a full suit of very French tails with, surprisingly, two rows of medals of which the last, to Bond's astonishment, was the Fling's Medal for foreign resistance-fighters.
    'I will tell you all about it one day, my dear James,' he had said in answer to Bond's admiring inquiry. 'It was tremendous fun. I had myself what the Americans call "a ball". And' - his voice sank to a whisper and he put one finger along his brown, sensitive nose - 'I confess that I profited by the occasion to lay my hands on the secret funds of a certain section of the Abwehr, But Herkos Odonton, my dear James! Herkos Odonton! Medals are so often just the badges of good luck. If I am a hero, it is for things for which no medals are awarded.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 13,012
    @Revelator, hope you don't mind me adding to what you started.
    I'm not familiar with these and wanted to see for myself.

From Moonraker:
    Immediate award of the George Cross [to Gala Brand].
    George_Cross.jpg
    The George Cross (GC): second highest UK medal, an award to British (and Commonwealth) military and civilians for gallantry "not in the face of the enemy". It has always been able to be awarded posthumously. Established 1940 in the King's name during the Blitz to recognize courageous civilian acts facing enemy action. Worn on the left breast immediately following the Victoria Cross, before British Orders of Chivalry. For Gallantry!

On Her Majesty's Secret Service:
    ...M had been awarded the KCMG for his services.
    64111-800x800.jpg

The Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George Knight Commander (K.C.M.G.): The Order of St Michael and St George, originally awarded to commands or high position in the Napoleonic Wars, later extended to other territories. Today awarded to high office rendering extraordinary non-military service in a foreign country or the Commonwealth. Now an appointment to the Order, as with British Ambassadors appointed as KCMGs, or Governors-General and Governors. The sixth-most senior appointment in the British honours system.

The Order's motto: Auspicium melioris ævi ("Token of a better age"). Patron saints: St. Michael the Archangel; St. George, patron saint of England. Primary symbol: in battle, St. Michael tramples and subdues Satan .

Also On Her Majesty's Secret Service:
    Marc-Ange, who had turned up in a 'cylindre' and a full suit of very French tails with, surprisingly, two rows of medals of which the last, to Bond's astonishment, was The King's Medal* for foreign resistance-fighters.
    I did not easily locate this one. Someone possibly can assist.
    [* - Corrected by @Revelator, confirmed as The King's Medal. And added by @Gerard below.]

And what an apt description from Fleming through Marc-Ange:
    "Herkos Odonton, my dear James! Herkos Odonton! Medals are so often just the badges of good luck.
    If I am a hero, it is for things for which no medals are awarded."
    @Revelator, hope you don't mind me adding to what you started.
    I'm not familiar with these and wanted to see for myself.

I was hoping you would and glad you did, since I don't know much about medals and have found your posts most educational.
    I did not easily locate this one. Someone possibly can assist.

I doubled-checked and it turns out to have been a text-recognition error. The passage should read "two rows of medals of which the last, to Bond's astonishment, was the King's Medal for foreign resistance-fighters."
    @Revelator, I guess I low-balled my followup on that one. I had the identical text recognition misappropriation via my resources, and didn't stop to crack open the book on my shelf. There's a lesson in that.

Let me catch up tomorrow.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond was also offered a KCMG (knighthood) at the end of TMWTGG (book), but declined.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 5,808
    Here it is :

150px-De_Medaille_van_de_Koning_voor_Daperheid_in_de_Zaak_van_de_Vrijheid_opmaak_in_Hofstijl.jpg

Speaking of which, which medals were awarded to Ian Fleming himself ? Does anyone here know ?
    Before getting to Fleming, I'm prepared to recognize Sir Roger Moore's accomplishments. Meaning medals plus civilian honors.

Moore was called to service shortly after WWII, served as an officer in
    the Royal Army Service Corps, Combined Services Entertainment Section.
    Duty in West Germany. He finished with the rank of captain.
    Roger+Moore+in+uniform.jpgRASCBadge.jpghqdefault.jpg
    92px-British_Army_OF-2.svg.pnguk-RASC.jpg

I don't have any knowledge of individual decorations, those additions are welcome here along with any corrections.
    Civilian awards to Sir Roger Moore are below. Most are related to his work with the UNICEF Organization.
    Roger was introduced to UNICEF through his good friend Audrey Hepburn.
    They’re shown together in this 1991 photo with Gregory Peck.
    DAiWNQgXcAQY78U.jpg

UNICEF is The United Nations Children's Fund, a program that’s provided humanitarian aid to children and mothers in under-developed nations for over 70 years. Established in 1946 by Herbert Hoover and Maurice Pate.
    unicef_logo_2482.gifhttps://www.unicef.org/

Appointment as Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE), 9 March 1999.
    539936-sir-roger-moore-with-his-knighthood-at-buckingham-palace-in-2003.jpg$_35.JPGroger-moore-knighted.jpg
    Shown with Sir Tom Jones.

Promotion to Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE), 14 June 2003. The citation for knighthood based on his humanitarian efforts, specifically UNICEF. Moore commented on its port for his real world actions, and appreciated the opportunity to further recognize the good works of the UNICEF organization.
    f5564ab41029e5998f63cd2909f7ffb1.jpg
    584569602-knight-of-the-british-empire-roger-moore-buckingham-palace-tribute.jpg
    German Federal Cross of Merit (Bundesverdienstkreuz), 2003, for his UNICEF activities.
    Grand%2BCross%2Bof%2BMerit%2Bwith%2BStar.jpgRoger-Moore-German-honor.jpg

UNICEF's Audrey Hepburn Humanitarian Award (first issuance ever), 2004.
    tumblr_inline_nwxhvrcnCL1teqpn6_500.jpgAudrey-Hepburn-Award.jpg

Appointed by France as Commander of Arts and Letters (Ordre des Arts et des Lettres), 28 October 2008.
    Roger-Moore-French-Commander-of-Arts-and-Letters.jpgArtsLet_Of.jpg
    Awarded by Spain, The Don Quixote Award, from the Saint days, 1968.
    britain-roger-moore-obi_4.jpg?w=620

Golden Globe Henrietta Award (World Film Favorite – Male), 1980.
    roger_moore.jpg?itok=y2IWlWKV&c=f23a63dc960c0657d00358e974a41cbfimageFQLK3KD1.jpg

Hollywood Walk of Fame Star, 11 October 2007, installed at 7007 Hollywood Boulevard.
    Family plus Mr. Richard Kiel in attendance.
    roger-moore-star-hollywood-walk-of-fame-763945.jpg
    hryx6ldmja0ghsac9ddf.jpg
    Roger-More-Walk-Of-Fame-Star-sir-roger-moore-14058612-400-300.jpg

Honorary Doctorate from the University of Hertfordshire, 21 November 2012. For 50 years of outstanding contributions to film and television, and specifically for Hertfordshire productions.
    788346.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I received a medal and a diploma after my service in the Navy. I set fire to the diploma and threw the medal in the sea. The officers scowled, but said nothing. I had just become a civilian, after all.
    Me, the only medal I ever got is the "Médaille d'Honneur de la Poste" Bronze (Postal service honour medal), which I received after some 25 years of good service. It's sitting in a display case, waiting for the next two levels (Silver and Gold), if I'm qualified to receive them.

[url="https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Médaille_d'honneur_des_PTT"]https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Médaille_d'honneur_des_PTT[/url]

130px-Medailles_des_postes_et_telecom.jpg

But we're discussing Bond here, I believe.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I received a medal and a diploma after my service in the Navy. I set fire to the diploma and threw the medal in the sea. The officers scowled, but said nothing. I had just become a civilian, after all.

I'd have been disappointed if you hadn't done that!
    Wikipedia has given me the name of one of the Medals Ian Fleming received for his services in WW II : the Danish Frihedsmedalje, which the Danish government awarded him in 1947 for his contribution in assisting Danish officers escaping from Denmark to Britain during the occupation of Denmark.

AM063720_Kong_Christian_Xs_frihetsmedalje_adverse.jpg