'The Sweeney' TV Series - The British Flying Squad.

124»

Comments

• edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Interesting !

So these radios weren't standard issue for the police,or Special Branch,Sweeney ,in 1975 ? :

john-thaw-dennis-waterman-the-sweeney-1975-c8cy5f.jpg

e62ce32e17a2efb3fdcab803c11b6fb2.jpg
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    No, not my force anyway. As I said, the handsets were like telephone receivers, black in colour. The only similarity is the curled cord. They could have used them in the Met though so the photos may not be inaccurate. I'm guessing at the science bit, but I presume telephone style handsets would be better for listening to in heavy noise situations, as the speaker was pressed directly to the ear? The one's shown in the photo would have had a separate speaker (fixed into the body of the radio set?), imagine trying to listen to incoming transmissions in a vehicle with a siren blaring?
    Yes I know the phones you mean ,and I can see your point about the radios as well...something else confusing now haha !!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 3,144
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Yes I know the phones you mean ,and I can see your point about the radios as well...something else confusing now haha !!

Something like this?
    pye westminster radio
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8096/8376843401_0beb62d4df_b.jpg
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

Something like this?
    pye westminster radio

No photo ?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Sorry I thought it had posted, fixed now with a working link supper got in the way.
    Sorry I thought it had posted, fixed now with a working link supper got in the way.

Thanks pal..i would say that is later than '75 but I am more than likely wrong... @stag ?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 1,053

Thanks pal..i would say that is later than '75 but I am more than likely wrong... @stag ?

No, timescale wise that is correct, and with the handset I mentioned. Our vehicle didn't have the same speaker mounting setup though. I've just had a 'Duh' moment. The handsets could be interchanged, so I guess instead of the telephone type, they could be interchanged with the 'walkie talkie' type, but I have never seen the type as featured in your photographs of Regan on the radio in use in real life - that is not to say they weren't used but I never knew of them.

Any photos of the personal radios used by 'The Sweeney' TV show?

stag wrote: »

No, timescale wise that is correct, and with the handset I mentioned. Our vehicle didn't have the same speaker mounting setup though. I've just had a 'Duh' moment. The handsets could be interchanged, so I guess instead of the telephone type, they could be interchanged with the 'walkie talkie' type, but I have never seen the type as featured in your photographs of Regan on the radio in use in real life - that is not to say they weren't used but I never knew of them.

Any photos of the personal radios used by 'The Sweeney' TV show?

Good question...I will have a look if I can find one or two.

• edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Nothing on the radios yet but I found this fascinating link that shows photos which you can enlarge,of EVERY vehicle seen during episodes of The Sweeney.

@stag will be like a kid in a sweetshop when he sees this :

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiToJGIy9HUAhWOHsAKHVSEAAYQFgg8MAM&url=http://www.imcdb.org/movie_71059-The-Sweeney.html&usg=AFQjCNH8dYhSOY4YwFO70h8x7ouIdcbslw

It also shows lots of background of 1970's London,all the markets etc.
    Brings back a lot of memories of my childhood.
    I've never seen The Sweeney films - in fact I didn't know there were any.

Any progress on tracking down the reason for the lights thing? It's still bugging me as to why they did't use lights on the show.

I just bought both Sweeney films on Amazon for £7.59 box set...not many left ,so you might want to grab a copy !
    @barry007 thanks for that, but I don't do the internet purchasing thing. I don't use cards for a start (don't trust 'em). I can get the films via traditional means.
    @barry007 thanks for that, but I don't do the internet purchasing thing. I don't use cards for a start (don't trust 'em). I can get the films via traditional means.
    No ,its all good..im Amazon Prime and its arrived .