CLOSED

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Bondjames yes that Tony was, and is a strange one. His almost obsessive admiration of George W. whilst disregarding all the facts is astounding. How the British parliament ever got it in their minds to follow him is beyond me.

I agree wholeheartedly with you and @patb on liberalism and the need to take a firm (fighting) stance. But it's also essential that we know exactly whom we oppose in which way. As you say, it's a free society and disliking gay people because you believe in a fairytale creature falls within those boundaries. Treating them different because you happen to work in the government or whatnot is crossing the line. I don't understand why so many people who call themselves liberals, or social liberals, just don't get this.

The complaint culture these north-african, arabian and levant people take with them is appaling and should be curbed exactly there where they cross the line, instead of nurtured. And, again and agian i'll point to the financing problem.

short term: those home-grown jihadi's fighting in Iraq and Syria should be destroyed by our own special forces. It's war, it's legal. those who come back to the West should be arrested and tried for high treason (taking up arms against their own country and it's allies).

At the same time, no trading with the Saouds, Quatar and other extremist states.
    @Bondjames yes that Tony was, and is a strange one. His almost obsessive admiration of George W. whilst disregarding all the facts is astounding. How the British parliament ever got it in their minds to follow him is beyond me.

I agree wholeheartedly with you and @patb on liberalism and the need to take a firm (fighting) stance. But it's also essential that we know exactly whom we oppose in which way. As you say, it's a free society and disliking gay people because you believe in a fairytale creature falls within those boundaries. Treating them different because you happen to work in the government or whatnot is crossing the line. I don't understand why so many people who call themselves liberals, or social liberals, just don't get this.

The complaint culture these north-african, arabian and levant people take with them is appaling and should be curbed exactly there where they cross the line, instead of nurtured. And, again and agian i'll point to the financing problem.

short term: those home-grown jihadi's fighting in Iraq and Syria should be destroyed by our own special forces. It's war, it's legal. those who come back to the West should be arrested and tried for high treason (taking up arms against their own country and it's allies).

At the same time, no trading with the Saouds, Quatar and other extremist states.

That's what I think and have been saying for a while as well @CommanderRoss
    patb wrote: »
    The point re liberalism is worth discussing. IMHO 99% of us are liberals. But the issue has been that there are liberals who seek to avoid confrontation at almost any cost and seem to think that we can have free speech whilst, at the same time, not offend anyone. Plus they avoid hard debates (they seek to protect gay rights and also Muslim rights when most Mulsims are anti-gay - you cant have both)
    And then we have have "liberals with back bone" who also value free speech etc and are prepared to fight for it and admit that people will be offended by free speech and its just tough (Hitchins was the obvious answer)

This may seem a weird example but, some of the movies of C Eastood are perfect examples. many liberals have criticised these movies as being far right and this has become a cliche but, if you look at the moral, Eastwoods characters are forced to use force in order to protect the rights of the communities (often minority groups): Dirty Harry, Josey Wales, Kowalski (Grand Torino). Getting angry and using force to protect the rights of the community is still a liberal thing to do IMHO

Good point. Problem is deciding when to fight and where and in what way.

The Vietnam War and invasion of Iraq were justified on precisely these liberal grounds. In Vietnam the Americans claimed to be protecting the world from communism, when in actual fact many Vietnamese saw the US as a continuation of the colonialist French and just wanted to kick occupying foreign armies out of their country. And with hindsight it has largely come to be seen as a disastrous neo colonial adventure. Liberalism was always used to justify colonialism because we were 'helping' poor johnie foreigner out of his pitiful state of un-Christian ignorance.

The second world war is one of the few wars everyone can agree was absolutely necessary to fight.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited June 2017 Posts: 1,053
    I'll repeat my offer (and it is deadly serious - I will finance it)
    Getafix wrote: »
    stag wrote: »
    My reply in bold within the body of the text:

We either believe in a free and open society and defend it or we don't, in which case martial law, internment, extrajudicial killing, government without judicial oversight and targeting of specific religious groups etc is all on the table. That's not a world I want to live in

That's the world you are going to get once ISIS or whoever takes their place, wins this war.

Yes, war - I know the word upsets the more sensitive souls here - but that's what it is. During WW2 many personal freedoms were sacrificed. Those same freedoms were re-established once the war had been won. BTW it wasn't the liberals who won our freedom, but people like my father and the parents/grandparents of many here. They fought against fascism. Todays war is a war against fascism, but a different kid of fascism, religious fascism.

Liberalism once again riding to the defence of our enemies? I'll personally pay the air fare of anyone here who wishes to put their money where their mouth is and fly out to Syria, meet up with ISIS and attempt to broker a peace settlement. Let's see how far you get in your negotiations.

Sorry but this is straightforward nonsense. What are you wittering on about?

You need to step out from the world you inhabit and into the real one, you will find it an education. Unfortunately, it's not all the sweetness and light you might think it to be

Firstly ISIS is simply not the existential threat you make it out to be. I agree we are in a long term conflict - or war - call it whatever you want. But right now ISIS are on the back foot. They're lashing out at the west because their 'caliphate' is crumbling. These attacks, no matter how horrific, aren't about to bring down the west. Look at your history books. The Germans and the IRA tried to bomb and terrorise the British into submission before and it never works. Think what we've witnessed over the last few months is horrendous? Imagine living through the Blitz or the long years of the US-backed IRA campaign in mainland Britain. The Germans had a proper army and airforce - ISIS has an Irish chef with a bread knife. All these sickos have achieved is actually to increase Britain's determination to defeat them. But don't give them the ego boost they want by making out Britain's facing it's biggest threat since 1939.

I need to read my history books? No need to old boy, I was there, part of it (The IRA thing I mean) from the counter terrorist perspective - I wonder where were you serving at this time?. I know it hurts - most likely because to acknowledge the fact that we are facing a new war against fascism it to acknowledge that your crackpot (the liberalists) ideoligies are largely responsible for it.

I wonder what all the victims of ISIS inspired Islamist extremist terror attacks, and indeed the families of those who have been killed will make of your statement - I'm sure they would consider it at best deeply disrespectful. Of course terrorism is not a threat - how stupid of me to think so. Let's all hold hands ans sing the coca cola song shall we? I'm sure that[/b]

Secondly, the war against fascism in WW2 wasn't fought and won by specific sections of society, or by those of one political tendency or another, but by the entire populations of actually very diverse countries like the UK, US and USSR. In the UK people of all walks of life, political tendencies etc. fought and worked alongside each other to defeat fascism.

What you're saying is frankly (although I'm sure you don't intend it to be ) deeply disrespectful to the millions of men and women who fought for their country in WW2.

You don't say? I was responding to your fellow libreals remark "it's the liberals that made your freedoms possible". I may have misinterpreted this, but thought it was directed at those who fought in WW2. It is going to take all people from all sections of society to defeat this new fascism

I suggest you also pause for a minute to consider that millions of men from the British colonies who volunteered to fight for Britain during WW2 as well - and tens of thousands of them were Muslims. A lot died for this country, not that anyone ever thought to thank them for it. i don't know what silly little political category you'd put them in. They probably weren't 'liberals' as you'd define it. It wasn't until 2002 we built the Commonwealth Memorial Gates on Constitution Hill, and even that frankly rather disrespectfully just lumps all the 'darkies' in together. The Animals in War memorial opened soon after in 2004 in Hyde Park.

Typical response - to turn everything into an argument about race in the belief that it will close down opposition. I knew that one was coming. Here's one for you to google. Look up the Muslims who fought in the SS in WW2

I'm afraid with all due respect that I have to take claims of security service involvement with a slight pinch of salt. Not saying you're not telling the truth, but this is an online Bond forum.

Not sure where I said the world was all sweetness and light but happy for you to point it out. I think the point I was making, and which you're clearly disputing, is that ISIS and Islamists in general don't represent the same threat to the UK that Hitler did. I think you're massively exaggerating the threat they pose by making this false comparison. A more appropriate comparison might be between ISIS and the far left extremist groups of the 1970s. ISIS are more dangerous, but I'd still say they're more of that ilk than the Nazis.

The word 'liberal' means a lot of different things to different people. I think you need to expand on precisely what you mean by it. I'd argue that a lot of 'conservatives' are actually really liberals or neo-liberals. Bush's invasion of Iraq was a liberal act, not a conservative one, because he was trying to radically realign the politics of the Middle East, in a way no real conservative would ever countenance. So perhaps we are closer to agreeing on this than you think.

I wasn't talking about race, but rather the historical fact (which most Brits are unaware of or don't want to acknowledge) that millions of men from all over the Commonwealth, including Muslims, fought for Britain during it's hour of greatest need.

@Getafix I never said I was in the secret service. I was a police officer who served on anti terror operations and (for a while) with police intelligence. I have pointed this out throughout this thread when I mentioned it - if you care to look through my posts you will see that this is the case. You can do me the courtesy of not making me out to be lying when I have explained this from the start.

Before I answer any more questions I notice you have failed to answer mine. How much service to your country and community have you had and what is your own experience of terrorist matters from both an operational and personal perspective? You seem to know a lot about the mechanics of the subject, so I assume you have both?

We either believe in a free and open society and defend it or we don't, in which case martial law, internment, extrajudicial killing, government without judicial oversight and targeting of specific religious groups etc is all on the table. That's not a world I want to live in

That's the world you are going to get once ISIS or whoever takes their place, wins this war.

Yes, war - I know the word upsets the more sensitive souls here - but that's what it is. During WW2 many personal freedoms were sacrificed. Those same freedoms were re-established once the war had been won. BTW it wasn't the liberals who won our freedom, but people like my father and the parents/grandparents of many here. They fought against fascism. Todays war is a war against fascism, but a different kid of fascism, religious fascism.

Liberalism once again riding to the defence of our enemies? I'll personally pay the air fare of anyone here who wishes to put their money where their mouth is and fly out to Syria, meet up with ISIS and attempt to broker a peace settlement. Let's see how far you get in your negotiations.

You need to step out from the world you inhabit and into the real one, you will find it an education. Unfortunately, it's not all the sweetness and light you might think it to be

Firstly ISIS is simply not the existential threat you make it out to be. I agree we are in a long term conflict - or war - call it whatever you want. But right now ISIS are on the back foot. They're lashing out at the west because their 'caliphate' is crumbling. These attacks, no matter how horrific, aren't about to bring down the west. Look at your history books. The Germans and the IRA tried to bomb and terrorise the British into submission before and it never works. Think what we've witnessed over the last few months is horrendous? Imagine living through the Blitz or the long years of the US-backed IRA campaign in mainland Britain. The Germans had a proper army and airforce - ISIS has an Irish chef with a bread knife. All these sickos have achieved is actually to increase Britain's determination to defeat them. But don't give them the ego boost they want by making out Britain's facing it's biggest threat since 1939.

I need to read my history books? No need to old boy, I was there, part of it (The IRA thing I mean) from the counter terrorist perspective - I wonder where were you serving at this time?. I know it hurts - most likely because to acknowledge the fact that we are facing a new war against fascism it to acknowledge that your crackpot (the liberalists) ideoligies are largely responsible for it.

I wonder what all the victims of ISIS inspired Islamist extremist terror attacks, and indeed the families of those who have been killed will make of your statement - I'm sure they would consider it at best deeply disrespectful. Of course terrorism is not a threat - how stupid of me to think so. Let's all hold hands ans sing the coca cola song shall we? I'm sure that[/b]

Secondly, the war against fascism in WW2 wasn't fought and won by specific sections of society, or by those of one political tendency or another, but by the entire populations of actually very diverse countries like the UK, US and USSR. In the UK people of all walks of life, political tendencies etc. fought and worked alongside each other to defeat fascism.

What you're saying is frankly (although I'm sure you don't intend it to be ) deeply disrespectful to the millions of men and women who fought for their country in WW2.

You don't say? I was responding to your fellow libreals remark "it's the liberals that made your freedoms possible". I may have misinterpreted this, but thought it was directed at those who fought in WW2. It is going to take all people from all sections of society to defeat this new fascism

I suggest you also pause for a minute to consider that millions of men from the British colonies who volunteered to fight for Britain during WW2 as well - and tens of thousands of them were Muslims. A lot died for this country, not that anyone ever thought to thank them for it. i don't know what silly little political category you'd put them in. They probably weren't 'liberals' as you'd define it. It wasn't until 2002 we built the Commonwealth Memorial Gates on Constitution Hill, and even that frankly rather disrespectfully just lumps all the 'darkies' in together. The Animals in War memorial opened soon after in 2004 in Hyde Park.

Typical response - to turn everything into an argument about race in the belief that it will close down opposition. I knew that one was coming. Here's one for you to google. Look up the Muslims who fought in the SS in WW2

I'm afraid with all due respect that I have to take claims of security service involvement with a slight pinch of salt. Not saying you're not telling the truth, but this is an online Bond forum.

Not sure where I said the world was all sweetness and light but happy for you to point it out. I think the point I was making, and which you're clearly disputing, is that ISIS and Islamists in general don't represent the same threat to the UK that Hitler did. I think you're massively exaggerating the threat they pose by making this false comparison. A more appropriate comparison might be between ISIS and the far left extremist groups of the 1970s. ISIS are more dangerous, but I'd still say they're more of that ilk than the Nazis.

The word 'liberal' means a lot of different things to different people. I think you need to expand on precisely what you mean by it. I'd argue that a lot of 'conservatives' are actually really liberals or neo-liberals. Bush's invasion of Iraq was a liberal act, not a conservative one, because he was trying to radically realign the politics of the Middle East, in a way no real conservative would ever countenance. So perhaps we are closer to agreeing on this than you think.

I wasn't talking about race, but rather the historical fact (which most Brits are unaware of or don't want to acknowledge) that millions of men from all over the Commonwealth, including Muslims, fought for Britain during it's hour of greatest need.

@Getafix I never said I was in the secret service. I was a police officer who served on anti terror operations and (for a while) with police intelligence. I have pointed this out throughout this thread when I mentioned it - if you care to look through my posts you will see that this is the case. You can do me the courtesy of not making me out to be lying when I have explained this from the start.

Before I answer any more questions I notice you have failed to answer mine. How much service to your country and community have you had and what is your own experience of terrorist matters from both an operational and personal perspective? You seem to know a lot about the mechanics of the subject, so I assume you have both?

When did you serve?
  • stagstag In the thick of it!

Dennison wrote: »

When did you serve?

1975 to 2010

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

When did you serve?

1975 to 2010

With so little experience, you must be grateful you can learn from all the real experts here.

When did you serve?

1975 to 2010

I may have bumped into you at some point.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,602
    The point re liberalism is worth discussing. IMHO 99% of us are liberals. But the issue has been that there are liberals who seek to avoid confrontation at almost any cost and seem to think that we can have free speech whilst, at the same time, not offend anyone. Plus they avoid hard debates (they seek to protect gay rights and also Muslim rights when most Mulsims are anti-gay - you cant have both)
    And then we have have "liberals with back bone" who also value free speech etc and are prepared to fight for it and admit that people will be offended by free speech and its just tough (Hitchins was the obvious answer)

This may seem a weird example but, some of the movies of C Eastood are perfect examples. many liberals have criticised these movies as being far right and this has become a cliche but, if you look at the moral, Eastwoods characters are forced to use force in order to protect the rights of the communities (often minority groups): Dirty Harry, Josey Wales, Kowalski (Grand Torino). Getting angry and using force to protect the rights of the community is still a liberal thing to do IMHO

Good point. Problem is deciding when to fight and where and in what way.

The Vietnam War and invasion of Iraq were justified on precisely these liberal grounds. In Vietnam the Americans claimed to be protecting the world from communism, when in actual fact many Vietnamese saw the US as a continuation of the colonialist French and just wanted to kick occupying foreign armies out of their country. And with hindsight it has largely come to be seen as a disastrous neo colonial adventure. Liberalism was always used to justify colonialism because we were 'helping' poor johnie foreigner out of his pitiful state of un-Christian ignorance.

The second world war is one of the few wars everyone can agree was absolutely necessary to fight.

Fair points but I dont thing we are talking invasion here and foreign wars. We just need to get rid of the dreadful guilt that some feel re focussing on Islam as a possible centre of interest. The spectre of racism hangs over the whole debate and sometimes it seems that the internet, lounge and pub are the only places where honest, and therefore, useful debate takes place. I dont think I have seen anything much of use via mainstream media. There are some very good authors/academics out these but as was seen by the shambles of the Sam Harris/Ben Afleck "debate", these authors get shouted down when they enter the mainstream and tend to retreat back to writing more books. Harris has almost given up commenting as he predictied this many years ago and few within the establishment took him seriously.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425

I didn't call you a liar. I said it's an online forum and pretty much everyone uses a pseudonym. Claims like yours are not uncommon in these kinds of contexts. I think talking about ones own background on here is not a good route to go down. I'm prepared to believe you're who you say you are but frankly a lot wouldn't.

like probably 99.9% of people on here I haven't seen 'active service' but not entirely sure what the relevance is to be honest. Are we disenfranchised or our views less relevant because we haven't served In the police?

I have a huge amount of respect for people who serve in the police and emergency services but that doesn't mean that as citizens their views trump those of everyone else.

Btw, I haven't claimed to know the slightest thing about the mechanics of counter terrorism.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,117

The full weight of British law was thrown against some of the perpetrators, this was the result:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/mar/07/muslim-extremist-fined-for-poppy-burning

Obviously, the penalties incurred was enough to steer those responsible away from extremism. In contrast, some men who threw a pigs head into a mosque was given the following punishment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2839436/Four-men-jailed-throwing-pig-s-head-mosque-aftermath-murder-Lee-Rigby-despite-pleas-leniency-forgiving-imam.html

Now I am not defending this action, I am saying that acts which are designed to cause harm and distress - specifically in these two cases - should attract the same punishment. Is it any wonder the British people are increasingly pissed off?

And lets not forget this one:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/men-who-pelted-worshipper-with-bacon-at-camden-mosque-jailed-for-eight-months-a3384641.html

People actually imprisoned for throwing foodstuffs!?!?! We have the resources to pay for that but not enough to give the police the tools to do their job?

Whilst I find the above behaviour utterly despicable and oafish are Muslims so pathetically thin skinned that they can't laugh this off as the act of two drunk twats? If they'd poked their dicks through my letterbox and pissed all over my carpet it would have been disgusting and I'd have been offended but would they have gone down for it?

Classic quote from the police on this:

'Speaking after the sentencing, DC Tracey McMath, from the Camden community safety unit, said: "The defendants showed a complete disregard for the faith and belief of others in this callous and highly offensive incident; and I hope their convictions highlight that we will not tolerate hate crime in any of its forms.'

And there you have it folks. Having a disregard for the faith and belief of others no matter how infantile and retarded said beliefs is an imprisonable offence in this country.
    What would the judgement have been if they had said 'It's our belief that if we throw bacon into a mosque we will be rewarded in the afterlife.' As a defence it would have got them nowhere because Baconism is not one of the 'chosen' few religions that the government deems worthy of bending over backwards to tolerate.

If you're a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Sikh and a few others you're laughing. Your beliefs are untouchable and there's a fascist dictatorship in place to make sure the rest of us fall into line.

If you're a Jedi, Scientlologist, Baconist or Pastafarian you're a figure of fun and you can piss off. Your beliefs, although equally ludicrous/based on zero empirical evidence, are bullshit and the government won't back you as it would if you believe a bloke walked on water, then rose from the dead, then flew into the sky where you can join him if you just follow a few simple rules (going to church, giving a load of money to the Vatican and absolutely NO wanking seems to be about the gist of it).

I am not entirely convinced that that is accurate. You can deride me for it if you would like to, but the fact is that I was not raised in a particularly religious household (although my mother is a Catholic) and I stopped attending church around the age of six or so and became a non-believer. It was not until my late teens that I, essentially independently, became a Christian. Granted, there was probably some familiarity there as my mother had taken me to Catholic Church as a small child, but I nonetheless went and pursued my faith very much on my own accord. Furthermore, while become a Christian, I did not become a Catholic.

I am sure that there are plenty of people who have experiences somewhat similar to mine. Furthermore, I would push back on the notion that that would make me unelectable to public office because there is a very substantial difference between me being candid about how I have decided to live my life and either gloating about it or insisting that you live yours as I would proscribe to you.

I'd love nothing more than to deride you but I have got it off my chest above and you seem like a nice affable chap who is harming no one so good luck to you. I don't doubt that your experience is genuine but I stand by my comment that the amount of people who would bother to turn to religion on their own if their parents hadn't forced it on them would be tiny. Back in the middle ages it was nice to come up with some explanations about the sun, the weather and why people have to die. But now you can look in any two bob science book and find the answers so there really is very little need for God in the mind of anyone with an inquiring mind. If religion didn't exist would we really feel the need to invent it today?

In terms of being unelectable I'm afraid I have to stand by that. Whatever beliefs you choose to hold in the privacy of your own home are fine as long as you're not hurting anyone. However there's a big difference between me tolerating someone being a crackpot in their own own home and being allowed access to public funds and the nuclear button. Call me pedantic but I'd prefer it if the Prime Minister wasn't someone who made their decisions based on voices in their head. That's why I give thanks I'm not an American.
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    @WizardOfIce

It is possible that you are right, but I am not sure. I think that people have always asked what their role in the world is and in this, faith serves as an outlet that can be extremely beneficial. This is evidenced by the fact that religions are not static, they continue to morph and splinter.

I agree with you that a candidate would be unelectable if they were openly professing that you should vote for them based on their religious positions. If it isn't an issue of the campaign, it seems wrong to make it one though. Look at Theresa May, for example. She is a devout Anglican and her father was a vicar. You don't seem to be much of a Labour supporter, so that leaves you in a tough position for tomorrow.
    @WizardOfIce

It is possible that you are right, but I am not sure. I think that people have always asked what their role in the world is and in this, faith serves as an outlet that can be extremely beneficial. This is evidenced by the fact that religions are not static, they continue to morph and splinter.

I agree with you that a candidate would be unelectable if they were openly professing that you should vote for them based on their religious positions. If it isn't an issue of the campaign, it seems wrong to make it one though. Look at Theresa May, for example. She is a devout Anglican and her father was a vicar. You don't seem to be much of a Labour supporter, so that leaves you in a tough position for tomorrow.

Fortunately I'm out of the country so thankfully don't need to make a choice of what the least bad option is.

Such a pity 'None of the above' is not on the ballot. Although it would likely lead to a constitutional crisis as it would win a landslide.
  • RC7RC7
    @WizardOfIce

Fortunately I'm out of the country so thankfully don't need to make a choice of what the least bad option is.

Such a pity 'None of the above' is not on the ballot. Although it would likely lead to a constitutional crisis as it would win a landslide.

Agreed. It's like walking into a cafe for food and being offered a really hard shit, a really soft shit, a half and half, one completely vegan, one packed with shortbread, one with leek, and one produced by a someone whose DNA is 100% English. I'll have the bacon sarny.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 194
    @WizardOfIce

I would be very surprised if the Conservatives don't win the election, to be honest, but they may lose their majority in Parliament. Current polls are predicting an increased Conservative majority though.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I'll have the bacon sarny.

That's a bit anti Islamic of you if you don't mind me saying so mate.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    I'll have the bacon sarny.

That's a bit anti Islamic of you if you don't mind me saying so mate.

Ha! Glad you spotted the subtext. Brown or red sauce?
    @WizardOfIce

I would be very surprised if the Conservatives don't win the election, to be honest, but they may lose their majority in Parliament. Current polls are predicting an increased Conservative majority though.

Yeah I reckon may will get a landslide
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Good luck to you voters today!

@TheWizardOfIce the problem with religion is that it goes far further then just a solution to the question of 'the meaning of life'. It gives regulations and symbolic procedures which humans find comforting, as we're wired that way. This also gives the opportunity of 'belonging to a group'and again, this taps in to a biological preference of beeing part of a (small) group to which one belongs. Hence the successive 'we-them'thinking which autoamtically follows suit.

A friend of mine is Christian Orthodox (Russian Orthodox) and, as this country has few orthodox people (and there's no Orthodox sheik to build churches) there are only a few places of worship. There are two priests. When a Catholic girl asked if she could join the service and also receive bread and wine (after all, the Catholics have the same habit, er..tradition) the one priest said yes, the other no. Why? Because she belonged to a different church. Even though both churches aknowledge to have the same 'god'.

These things are hard to understand for atheists, but it's all biological wiring which atheists overrule by rational thinking. This doesn't make them smarter in any way, they just chose (or are wired) differently.

It's one of the reasons why religion is so hard to get rid of. It's not just believing in god and denying science, it's part of their identity.

And that's why I think we should be careful to point exactly at whom we're fighting with Islamic terrorists. Calling them Islamists is, I think, fine, as it points directly to those who follow those hate-preachers from the middle east. But sayin you're at war with Islam you tap into the identity of the second or third biggest religion, afak you're declaring war on more then 1.5 billion people.

It's the same as saying you're at war with Christianity, or just the Poles. Yes, 99% of the Poles are Christian, but definately not all Christians are Poles.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Yes a war on 'Islam' would not be a good idea. But that is what ISIS would like. They want us to go down that route of making it a war of the (still essentially) Christian West against the Islamic world, ending in Armageddon.

Sadly a fair few of our American cousins would like the same thing. There are a lot of far right US Christians who are really into this 'end of days' thing. It's one of the reasons they insist on backing Israel to the hilt - it fits in with their crazy views about the Jews needing to be in control of Jerusalem in order for Christ to return, or something equally bonkers.

huffingtonpost.com/david-heilbroner/evangelicals-israel-and-t_b_391351.html

Wikipedia says this about religion in the US: "According to a 2014 study by the Pew Research Center, 70.6% of the adult population identified themselves as Christians, with 46.5% professing attendance at a variety of churches that could be considered Protestant, and 20.8% professing Roman Catholic beliefs."

People on here advocating 'war' and that kind of terminology have to realise they're playing into the hands of extremists on both sides of this conflict.

Remember, George W Bush invaded Iraq because God told him to. Many regard that as an illegal war. But in his mind Bush justified it through his religious faith - as perhaps did Blair.

No wonder it's so easy for the Islamists to depict Western military intervention in the Middle East as a latter day Crusade. In many respects they're not wrong.
  • RC7RC7
    Good luck to you voters today!

@TheWizardOfIce the problem with religion is that it goes far further then just a solution to the question of 'the meaning of life'. It gives regulations and symbolic procedures which humans find comforting, as we're wired that way. This also gives the opportunity of 'belonging to a group'and again, this taps in to a biological preference of beeing part of a (small) group to which one belongs. Hence the successive 'we-them'thinking which autoamtically follows suit.

A friend of mine is Christian Orthodox (Russian Orthodox) and, as this country has few orthodox people (and there's no Orthodox sheik to build churches) there are only a few places of worship. There are two priests. When a Catholic girl asked if she could join the service and also receive bread and wine (after all, the Catholics have the same habit, er..tradition) the one priest said yes, the other no. Why? Because she belonged to a different church. Even though both churches aknowledge to have the same 'god'.

These things are hard to understand for atheists, but it's all biological wiring which atheists overrule by rational thinking. This doesn't make them smarter in any way, they just chose (or are wired) differently.

It's one of the reasons why religion is so hard to get rid of. It's not just believing in god and denying science, it's part of their identity.

And that's why I think we should be careful to point exactly at whom we're fighting with Islamic terrorists. Calling them Islamists is, I think, fine, as it points directly to those who follow those hate-preachers from the middle east. But sayin you're at war with Islam you tap into the identity of the second or third biggest religion, afak you're declaring war on more then 1.5 billion people.

It's the same as saying you're at war with Christianity, or just the Poles. Yes, 99% of the Poles are Christian, but definately not all Christians are Poles.

Remove religion and our biological wiring would still dictate that we are, on the whole, moral and ethical beings. Religion should be something you opt into, not something that is all consuming from birth. We should look to each other and our surroundings for comfort. Find things in life that give us joy. Fuck arbitrary rules in a book.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Piers taking it to the Mayor.

edited June 2017 Posts: 8,028
    @RC7 one could even argue that those who favour reason over belief are on the whole more ethical and moral. As if you don't believe there will be judgement and forgiveness after life, it means that you can only be judged by those who's lives you afflict. Judgement and forgiveness are in a way 'instant', and forgiveness for killing someone can only be sought by those who were close to the person killed. Not after life by any sort of 'god'.

This doesn't help much though for the above stated reasons. Interestingly enough, communism has taken over similar religious traits, creating a sense of belonging, and recogniseable symbols that make people feel part of a group. And as you can see, this political influence still lingers everywhere in the world. So it definately works well. Same goes for football clubs.

@Getafix yes, indeed. Problem is, at the same time, that we are throwing bombs, and they are killing people in the streets. It IS war, just not between 'The West' and 'Islam', but between 'so called ISIS'or Daesh and a coalition led by the US. Intertwined with a war between said coalition and 'the official Assad government', and some more parties.
    Ironic that football creates its own stream of violence. Once you become delusional in thinking that your God/football team is better than everyone elses God/football team, this is when it "kicks off", its just another form of ignorant tribalsim. Most Mulsims are peaceful and most football fans a peaceful - but they provide the infrastructure for the misguided loyalty that, in some, leads to violence.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I agree @CommanderRoss. Fundamentally, religion provides a set of shared beliefs and communal belonging, & that is a key driver of its lasting appeal. The fact that it proffers answers (without proof) for the meaning of life further facilitates this.

Additionally, the one certainty is that one day we will all be dead and gone. The finality of that, and by extension the fact that we are finite beings, also plays into religion's hold. It's a part of the human ego to feel importance. To think one is special, smarter and privileged. Religion capitalizes on this hard wiring. It reinforces built in psychological preferences and heuristics.

It will be very difficult to shake and eliminate as a result.
    "Fundamentally, religion provides a set of shared beliefs and communal belonging,"

But so does a secular society but religion would have us beleive that it is needed for those shared beleifs and communal belonging.

Do I feel isolated or a part of the community as an atheist? No. Do I share commion beliefs as part of modern Western culture as an atheist? yes.

People shared common norms and values way before someone waived a book of fairy tales at us. Thats how we survived and grew to be who we are. Hard to track and kill and wooly mammouth without co-operation and team play.

Religion steps in and takes contriol, wanting credit for creating these values and then creating control "carrot and sticks" to keep to the rules.

Even now when Christians are a minority in the UK, christian leaders try to take the line "yes, but they are christian values we follow" as if christianity invented kindness, consideration, empathy, etc etc...just a horrible arrogance
    "Fundamentally, religion provides a set of shared beliefs and communal belonging,"

But so does a secular society but religion would have us beleive that it is needed for those shared beleifs and communal belonging.

Do I feel isolated or a part of the community as an atheist? No. Do I share commion beliefs as part of modern Western culture as an atheist? yes.

People shared common norms and values way before someone waived a book of fairy tales at us. Thats how we survived and grew to be who we are. Hard to track and kill and wooly mammouth without co-operation and team play.
    Humans are tribal beings. We tend to gravitate to crowds of like minded people or where we are comfortable. The internet facilitates that these days too (look at all of us here on a Bond forum).

Of course, religion is not necessary. It's just convenient and plays into natural human biases. It feeds the ego.

For it to be eventually ostracized, secular society must offer a better alternative. Arguably it did for a time, but is now failing due to its own delusions and arrogance (income disparities, selected mass murder in the name of democracy, turning the other way to atrocities etc.). Hence the regrowth of religion in certain parts of the world & even within European societies.
    Good points...depends on how you define better. Secularism can't offer life after death (what an oxymoron that is!), that is the real trump card that most religions come up with and it is rather a "game changer" , tempting for all of us I'm sure. Secularism, by defintion, cant offer anything else in that calibre. So, therefore, we have to start getting to grips with our own mortality before we can wave goodbye to the sky fairy.

Good points...depends on how you define better. Secularism can't offer life after death (what an oxymoron that is!), that is the real trump card that most religions come up with and it is rather a "game changer" , tempting for all of us I'm sure. Secularism, by defintion, cant offer anything else in that calibre. So, therefore, we have to start getting to grips with our own mortality before we can wave goodbye to the sky fairy.
    Very true. That will always be a major challenge. As I said, it's inherent in the human DNA to be curious. To want answers and search for meaning. It's also inherent in us (and our ego) to think that we're special. Surely there must be something that happens to us after our consciousness ends post-death?

That is the one thing that we don't have answers about yet, and that is why any theory (especially one that is believed by millions of others) can easily take hold. Religion plays into several natural cognitive biases.
    @bondjames

If you believe that religion has maintained importance in the modern world due to the inability of secular society to deal with issues like income disparity and "selected mass murder in the name of democracy" perpetrated by the West, then I am afraid that you are part of the problem. Islamic extremism is dedicated to nothing less than the complete conversion of the global population to Islam and the incorporation of Sharia law, everywhere. It is easy and convenient to use modern terrorism as a mechanism for promoting your political objections to Western society, but unfortunately it flies directly in the face of the evidence. Radical islamic terrorism is active all across the world, including in nations that have very substantial social systems, like Sweden and in nations that have been historically antagonistic to Western policies, like Syria. If you bury your head in the sand, the situation will only get worse.
This discussion has been closed.