Is British pop music dead? the Brits 2017

edited February 2017 in General Discussion Posts: 4,600
Watching the Brits last night, I think it's on it's last legs. As a fifty something, I know I'm not meant to like modern pop but, I'm struggling to see the genuine talent. It speaks volumes that, for a George Michael tribute, they struggle to find anyone who is in George's league re singing talent (Paul Young a better choice?)
Ragn Bone man was best newcomer (Im not sure "he is all there") - compared to early 80s best newcomers - Frankie, Yazoo (Vince and Alison- wonderful) and Human League.

Skepta looked link a Brasseye send up of pop (the irony that the audio had to be muted - its a music show!!)

end of grimpy rant (for now)

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Missed this last night...oh well...didn't miss much I'm sure!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The 80's were the last era of greatness imho.
    bondjames wrote: »

90s.
    Who did the George Michael tribute?
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

90s.

Yes, I agree.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The 90s was a pretty decent decade, but nothing compares to the sound of the 80s.
    Respect for taking the job on but he just does not have the power and consistancy IMHO, half way through, my wife said "he's getting the hang of it now" but it was a video of George !!

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,588
    The 90s was a pretty decent decade, but nothing compares to the sound of the 80s.
    Pretty much agree.

This decade has some decent stuff, though the majority of it is complete trash.
    The 90s still had some great talent, I had little time for Oasis back then but, their songs are great and have past the test of time IMHO, true long term classics,

nothing like Oasis on show last night.
    patb wrote: »
    Respect for taking the job on but he just does not have the power and consistancy IMHO, half way through, my wife said "he's getting the hang of it now" but it was a video of George !!

Ouch
    Ouch indeed
    Butchery. It would have been better to just play the original. It's true, once it segues into George you can hear the difference.
    If it's not dead I wish it was. Yesterday was painful.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 17,804
    That was God awful stuff. George Michael shows how it's really done. To take away the bad taste here's my personal favourite song of his:

edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Nice. I haven't seen that video before. Freeeky.

The 80's were great imho. Duran Duran, Wham, The Human League, New Order, Spandau Ballet, Depeche Mode, Culture Club, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Thompson Twins, Soft Cell, Erasure, Bronski Beat, Animotion, The Style Council, Paul Young, Rick Astley, Howard Jones, Sade, The Eurythmics, Alison Moyet etc. etc.

My personal favourites are Tears For Fears. Outstanding band.

I personally really enjoy synth pop and new wave.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,600
    One of my highlights last year was seeing Tears for Fears live, they rarely play live in the UK so it was something very special. They gave it 100%, one of the best gigs I have been to and a tick off my bucket list. I was discussing with a friend, which other acts brought together guitar led rock, synth, shared vocals, a bit of goth angst ("And I find it kind of funny / I find it kind of sad / The dreams in which I'm dying / Are the best I've ever had"), some hippy stuff also, just a wonderful blend thats hard to put in a catagory.....other than wonderful, original pop. Cant resist another youtube clip: (was there anything as good as this last night?)

I'm envious @patb. I hope I have an opportunity to see them at some point.

The Seeds of Love album is a work of genius. Incredible production values on that thing.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2017 Posts: 7,976
    George could have done a great job with Writings on the Wall. As is I loathe the song to the point of where I skip the credits when watching SPECTRE; this is mainly to do with Smith's vocals. George Michael would have owned this song and performed it in a more commanding, less whiney manner.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    last year I saw Duran Duran and Billy Idol live. Even after 40 years both still had more charisma than most present day performers.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Totally agree on George Michael @talos7. I can just see him nailing something like WoTW. Such a shame we didn't get him for Bond. Commercial priorities most likely.

You're right on Duran Duran and Billy Idol as well. They've still got it.
    "Ordinary World" is one of their best IMHO, really convinced me of the writing talent after preferring Spandau for many years.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    George could have done a great job with Writings on the Wall. As is I loathe the song to the point of where I skip the credits when watching SPECTRE; this is mainly to do with Smith's vocals. George Michael would have owned this song and performed it in a more commanding, less whiney manner.
    Worst Bond song it's nails down a chalk board, Sam Smiths vocals are appalling