Downloading Films, Music, and Television Illegally: Thoughts, Arguments and Discussion

2»

Comments

• edited March 2011 Posts: 503
    @JobeGDG

So If I watch Bieber's new single on Vevo (the Sony-Universal site), that's not stealing, but if I somehow record the audio that's coming out of the speakers and then listen to the recording independent of Vevo, I become a thief at that point?
    @Bond Yes, though as previously stated, I don't have many qualms with this sort of thievery. But that is what I'd call it.
  • Quoting Bartleby: @Bond It is actually illegal for your friend to play music for you in his own house. I know it seems crazy.
    That's absolutely absurd indeed! What kinds of sick people made those laws? Might as well cut all of our ears off.
    Quoting JobeGDG:
    A business that one would think you'd be more sensitive to, being a fan artist and all. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging you here (even if it sounds like I am). I just think it's interesting that you'd put so much effort into a piece of Bond fan art and then deem DVD packaging not worth paying for.
    That's a very valid argument Jobe, I'll agree. But there is nothing more frustrating to me than spending $30 dollars on a DVD/Blu Ray and receiving just a box and a disc. If I'm paying that much money I want brilliant packaging and booklets. It is such movies that have fantastic packaging that I will buy because I feel it belongs in my collection.

Why buy Due Date for example? I know I'll spend 28 dollars and come home with a flimsy case and a DVD.
    if everyone that is doing that should go to jail than there will be only few guys free (atleast in my country :) )
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 4,622
    Quoting GeneralGogol:

Quoting Bartleby: @Bond It is actually illegal for your friend to play music for
    you in his own house. I know it seems crazy.

I don't think this is true. If you are the legal owner of the cd for example, there are fair use clauses that allow you to play it for your own enjoyment which I think would include friends.
    However what would definitely be illegal would be playing the music without permission, as part of any commercial venture, eg if you charged your friends admission to your party. Realistically you could get away with a few parties but if your parties ever became a little bigger and surfaced on radar, you might get a lawyers letter with an invoice. That's what the industry reps do. When they catch wind of something worth pursuing, they send a very legal letter demanding payment. Then you have to settle with them or fight them in court.
    Coincidentally I saw a TV news piece this week in which the "enforcement agency" or whoever had sent legal letters and invoices to retail store owners who had been playing music in their stores for the enjoyment of customers. SOCAN, or whatever the group was, declared the music was being used to aid a commercial venture.
    The store owners said they would be switching to playing the radio rather than pay in the future.

And any recording or copying of any copyrighted music or media is obviously illegal.
    FWIW I've copied lots of music and movies and shared with friends, simply because I can, but I've never pulled anything off the web "illegally" simply because I never developed the habit. Making the effort never interested me, as I have a long habit of buying and collecting music, so old habits kind of stay with.
    Both activities are illegal but realistically the industry is concerned about what costs them the most money. Downloading can obviously operate on a big scale as compared to friends passing around music/movies.
    I think the industry makes as much noise as they can on the matter, to discourage as many as possible, and then direct them to legal purchases. Then it seems they randomly target certain downloading/uploading activities just to give the impression, they can do something. They managed to shut down Napster but it's crime it seems was that it got too big. And Limewire, it seems is history as well for the same reason.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    As per the judgement of our members here, this thread is now closed.
This discussion has been closed.