Bonfire Night (or Guy Fawkes Night or Firework Night) : November 5th

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Have a fun and safe night tonight Great Britain !!!

Right...hot dogs ready...little pot of baked beans ready...baked potato ready....cider ? definately ready,but i will be drinking that starting in about 30mins....hic hic ;)

You stay at home?

Watching anything?
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 19,339
    yep im home tonight..feet up job...watching anything ?....not sure...ive got so many programmes and films building up on my SKY Q box that need watching..but its Bond ...(if i do it will prob be MR or TMWTGG ,unless im really pissed ,in which case it will be DAD )...
    just give me a call in case you feel like sharing the Bond experience. I will watch anything you choose.
    Will do old pal !
    Dark clouds coming over..not looking good,but the forecast is no rain.
    It's raining cats and dogs here!
    Grab me a greyhound or a whippet will you mate ?
    Life is good. Super Cheese Pizza with filled crust in the oven.
    A Batman animated feature in the Blu-ray and I visited my girlfriend earlier today for some action.
    Good friends on here. What more can you ask...

Maybe a Bond film? :P

I can always stop Batsy for Bond...
    hahaha thats a good comfy day pal,im having a few ciders,had poached eggs on toast for lunch with bacon and fried mushrooms ala nik nak ...actually thats given me an idea for a thread ..watch this space Jason.
    Bonfire night used to be one of THE highlights of the year when I was a kid but, to me, it seems as if its not such a big deal anymore. The organsied displays are just not the same as lighting them in your back garden.
    Also, I think that commerce has realised that there is much more money to be made from Halloween so that has become much bigger and tends not to over shadow Nov 5th.
    At least this year its on a Saturday as another trend is to have the display on the nearest weekend and that has also diluted the whole feel of the event.
    patb wrote: »
    Bonfire night used to be one of THE highlights of the year when I was a kid but, to me, it seems as if its not such a big deal anymore. The organsied displays are just not the same as lighting them in your back garden.
    Also, I think that commerce has realised that there is much more money to be made from Halloween so that has become much bigger and tends not to over shadow Nov 5th.
    At least this year its on a Saturday as another trend is to have the display on the nearest weekend and that has also diluted the whole feel of the event.

I can only agree on all of this ...when i was married and my kids were young,we never went near a display..we had it in the back garden: bonfire in a furnace,fireworks,hot dogs,baked beans,mushy peas,baked potatoes,bonfire toffee and toffee apples....happy days.

All i was doing was carrying on what my parents did when i was a kid but alas it is dying out and Halloween,as you say,is now the dominant force over our own tradtional day.

Halloween is a British tradition,its Pagan and originated here,but the American influence has definately penetrated the real meaning of it.

"Penny for the guy?" When was the last time you heard these words? Giving mony to kids so they could go out and buy explosives!! Happy days. Our attitudes towards risk have changed beyond recognition.
    Seeing kids dragging a guy in a wooden box attached with string or rope asking for just that was brilliant(i was one of them !),really made Bonfire night...thats a dead tradition now (Probably PC brigade - its not good to burn a person,even an effigy that has been around for 100's of years)...
    nice and dark now...most things will kick off about 6pm
    Only 6 days after Halloween...any plans people ?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The other night my town had some sort of Night of culture ! ( someone probably opened
    a yoghurt in the council offices ) and the fireworks were so loud. They actually shook
    our house ! Not to mention it terrified the poor dog.
  • barryt007 wrote: »

None for me at the moment bonfire night wise, but me and my wife are going to a Halloween party for the first time in a good couple of years this year, my brother's having one and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll see a few mates and lots of family there that I haven't seen for a while (because for some reason I had to go and fall in love with a Welsh bird didn't I, proper Gavin and Stacey scenario). Should be fun. That reminds me actually we really ought to plan our costumes at some point.

At present? Nothing so far?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sacrifice a virgin, worship Beelzebub, and wear my nice purple outfit. ;-)
    devil-rides-out-gray.jpg
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I just found out that Regent's Street here in London,are switching on their bloody Xmas lights on Bonfire Night,5th November.

Are they taking the piss or what ?!

Anyone made any plans for the big night yet ?

I am hoping to pull a cracker and end it with a bang!!!! Lol!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Hahaha well I hope your sausage can keep up with that !!

Hahaha well I hope your sausage can keep up with that !!

That's because you know what my sausage can do! Lol!
    Excellent dunked in baked beans hahaha

Lol! Touche!!! Great minds think alike!

Lol! Touche!!! Great minds think alike!

hahaha oh yes !! yum yum....
    Got any plans for the night,peeps ?

Hot dogs,baked beans,mushy peas,jacket potato perhaps ?

And a big rocket that I can light and shove up Milovy's arse (and by that I mean a firework before anybody gets any ideas !! ).
    All I do is stay in doors and think about the good old days when Bonfire night meant something and trick or treat was something you only saw in Charlie Brown cartoons.

patb wrote: »
    All I do is stay in doors and think about the good old days when Bonfire night meant something and trick or treat was something you only saw in Charlie Brown cartoons.

I know the feeling...'penny for the Guy' died out years ago.

Sad to see all these traditions disappearing one by one.