The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Starting CR now. My favorite Bond movie.
    Best PTS ever. Great use of black-and-white.
    Great opening credits as well. I’m a big fan of You Know My Name too.
    One of the best chase scenes ever here with Bond chasing the bomb-maker. Awesome action sequence.
    The scene at the Miami Airport is one of my favorite Bond sequences.
    Vesper’s my second favorite Bond girl after Tracy.
    Having to take breaks in between due to a horrible stomach virus. Hopefully not food poisoning. Got to see the epic stairwell fight; amazing stuff as always so far.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    FRWL followed by CR ?! You guys have just watched my two favourite Bond films in order.
    Hope you're feeling ok @FoxRox !
    @Major_Boothroyd

It’s getting really bad. CR helping me get through a tough time.
    Agreed - Bond is pure comfort. On the rare occasion I'm not feeling too well I can think of nothing better than curling up on the couch and putting on a 007 adventure.
    I’m almost certain I’ve been food poisoned. Waiting on the vomit to come. It’s been threatening while I got stuff out the other way.
    Just now getting to the epic final poker hand after throwing up like four times. Darn shame this sickness is keeping me from my favorite Bond film. This will be a viewing to remember.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,005
    Going to watch Quantum Of Solace again, my third time.

Interestingly enough I look forward watching it, there is enough in there that makes me want to return to the film. Other than that my hopes are not too high that I will be able to put it any higher in my ranking.
    But let's see.
    no gun-barrel....why it bugs me so much I don't know, but it does....
    Sadly the pts doesn't get any better, it's a car chase so much is clear.

Sadly butchered to cinematic death by a so called film editor.

The real sad thing is, this could have been the most exciting car chase in Bond history, but this way it's an abomination that leaves me wondering which drugs EoN was on to even dare to release this mess.
    Honestly, by the time the police car goes downhill I have lost interest and can't even focus on the screen anymore, luckily shortly after Craig arrives in Siena.

At least there are no color filters.....if that's any consolation....
    The titles are visually interesting if not up to the usual standard.
    The theme song is barely tolerable and makes me want to throw up.

What bugs me the most is that I now have realized that the actual track without vocals would be fantastic. But as soon as White and especially Keys force their vocal cords upon us it's simply over.

Thank Judi, that the film will get dramatically better soon.
    The interrogation scene is brilliant. Judi Dench has a lot of screen time in QoS, I remember now. She elevates SF to greatness and she certainly helps QoS a lot too.

Sadly the chase is edited and shot so badly it's almost insane. By the time Craig jumps on the bus I've lost interest again. Craig hanging on the rope is great but again destroyed by shaky camera work and bad editing.

What really is puzzling is that the next scene in London is shot and edited totally differently again. As if two directors had made QoS, one for the action, one for the rest.

M is the heart and soul of QoS too. Dench's acting is fantastic.

Craig never looked better than in QoS. Compared to this performance I feel that he has lost his bite by SF.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,005
    The fight with Slate is a mere 30 seconds but at least shot in wide angles and you can see, for a change, what's going on.
    Brutal, fierce and quick. Craig makes short work of Slade.
    The car/bike sequence proves that the film can be properly edited. Leaves me puzzled as why some scenes are butchered to the point of beyond recognition.

Judi Dench again...."we have Judi everywhere" I almost here Mr. White say ha ha...

Seriously, I don't want to sound silly but I have become a huge fan of her. And EoN must have realized what potential she has using her so often in QoS and SF.
    The boat chase. Not as bad as the action before but still a mess and barely tolerable.

But now we are at M's office again and things begin to seriously get better now.

A bit more than 30 minutes behind us.
    When the lightning of greatness strikes twice.

Tosca is for everyone, most definitely. The Austrian sequence is solid from start to finish and again Judi Dench at the end with some wonderful lines and scenes.

Mathis saves the day: Giancarlo Giannini, what a catch for EoN.
    It's a shame he dies in QoS, but of course his death makes this character arch even more dramatic and great.
    The Italy scenes are most delightful and the time with Bond on the airplane is where the real depth of QoS lies. Character development at its best, even indirectly, through what Mathis has to say.
    The flawless 25 minutes of Craigbond.

Austria to the moment we get to the airfield.
    This is not only Craigbond at its best but Bond at its best. Period.
    Sadly followed by The Sequence of shame.

The airplane sequence is the worst bit of Craigbond, by a large margin. Oh well.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    That's more like it.
    You dont mention the early scene on the plane with Greg Beam, which is one of my favourites ( among many!). Beam is one of THE great Bond characters imho. Its a pity you still dont get the car chase. It is imo the best one they've staged, Love the close up shots of Craig and it has a great payoff and that wonderful sweeping shot of Siena!
    I, like Camille and Bond, miraculously survived a certain death by uncontrolled plummeting from a plane with a parachute out of control.

I should laugh if it wasn't so sad.

But...light at the end of the tunnel. Camille and Bond having some quality time downstairs. Olga Kurylenko is proof that EoN knows how to cast.
    Craig at 40 is so unbelievably hot. What a great time capsule for him, this film.
    15 minutes to go and I can already predict good things for QoS.

Some films need to be seen several times. The glaringly bad stuff sadly blinds somewhat, but I can always close my eyes and enjoy the majority of the rest which is great.
    Felix Leiter is great, just great. A tragedy he wasn't in SP, when he easily could have been.